• Published 7th Jul 2017
  • 5,701 Views, 351 Comments

Spider-Man: Web of Magic - MetalJrock



Peter Parker must juggle being a normal teenager, Spider-Man, and a mentor when threats appear from the woodworks.

  • ...
18
 351
 5,701

Issue #1: Night Shift

Static. Then came an image. Breathing. Heavy breathing, almost like the source was holding back a sob. Turning the camera around, the source was revealed to be none other than Peter Parker, wearing a red and blue hoodie, his hair messy, the hood down and his mask removed. Tears escaped from his eyes as he spoke.

"My name is Peter Parker..." he introduced in a shaky voice. "A-And well..." he inhaled sharply, finding the right words. "I-I think these powers were a mistake." a sniffle was heard. "And I know no one will watch this anyway...

Peter pointed to his hand, "I w-was bitten by a strange spider... A-And as a r-result, I was given these powers... I loved it... I'm strong, fast, able to react to things before they even happen and I created a device that can shoot webbing." a forced smile was on his face now, despite his still saddened expression, "I abused it. Used it for money in a fighting ring... G-Got into a fight with my Aunt May and Uncle Ben... I thought I was on top of the world..."

The boy inhaled again, "T-Then, I ran off, let a burglar get away out of spite during one of my m-matches cause they didn't pay me. When I came back..." he began to hold back a sob, "My uncle... My Uncle Ben was shot to death by a robber before I got back."

A scowl was seen on Peter's face, "I tracked him down. In my suit to a warehouse. I found out it was the burglar I let get away earlier..." he wiped his face with his gloved hand. "I left him for the police. Because... I remember what my uncle told me when we fought..."

He paused, "With great power comes great responsibility..." he revealed. Peter continued, "My uncle d-died because of my irresponsibility... And I never want to repeat that mistake ever. I will use my powers to make sure no one has to lose someone like I did. To atone for how I failed Uncle Ben... And I promise I won't fail my Aunt May." he slammed his fist on the bed as he made this declaration.

Peter exhaled, "T-The only ones who know of what I can d-do are my friends... Trixie and Ned... Accidentally though..." he let out a soft chuckle despite his crying. "May's in a rough spot right now... For her to find out now... Would be bad for both of us... But I'll do everything I can to help her."

"Uncle Ben... I promise I won't fail you again..." Peter assured before turning off the camera.


Now...

Opening the familiar door, Peter casually strolled in and placed his key in his pocket, music blaring into his earphones. Another day at school, done. Now, with a much better afternoon commute, Peter wandered into the apartment, removing one of his earphones and called out, "Aunt May?" he said, getting no response, the eerie silence of his home being odd. "...May?" he asked again, wondering if she was home.

Confused, the boy walked in, dropping his bookbag into his room before wandering into the living room. 'Empty. Huh. Maybe she's busy with work or something.' he thought, looking over a note left on the fridge. "Pete, I have to work overtime. I'll be home late tonight. Love, Aunt May." he read it aloud.

The teen took out his phone and texted his friends of his endeavors. 'About to go Spider-Manning. Meet me here in three hours.' he texted Trixie and Ned before pressing send, double checking to make sure he wasn't texting May.

He got a response. From Trixie and he laughed, 'Again. It's not a word.'

Peter smiled, dropping the note and putting his phone away. He ran to his room and undressed himself, revealing his Spider-Man costume and he put on his mask, the lenses adjusting for his senses. Without haste, he opened his window and swung out once no one was watching, ready to face the world. "Woohoo!" he cheered, turning his body to begin swinging. "Alright, let's see what I can get done today!"

"Hey!"

Spider-Man looked down and saw a masked man running with a purse in his arms as a woman chased him. Spider-Man jumped down and leaned on a wall, extending his leg and causing the distracted crook to trip as a result, making him drop the purse. Peter gave the masked man a salute, covering his arms and legs in webbing, "See you next fall..." he chuckled lightly, "Heh. Sorry, that was forced."

The wall-crawler handed the woman her purse back before swinging away, hearing a thanks before leaving.

Now, he noticed a man about to get attacked by three guys in black hoodies wielding knives in an alleyway. Without thinking, Peter brought himself down and casually spoke behind them, "So, can you guys be anymore obvious with the fact that you're criminals? Gotta work on your incognito." he quipped.

Spider-Man then webbed them to a wall, disarming them as fast as he could, leaving them for the cops. "Are you alright, sir?" he got a fast nod. He nodded back, "Awesome. Stay safe out there!" he patted the man's shoulder then zipped upwards, flipping off the edge of a building and seeing the man call the police on his phone. Just to be sure, he webbed the criminals' mouths and made sure they were stuck in there.

As Spidey ran across the roofs of the building, he flipped off of one onto another. "Go, web!" he ordered, swinging off the side of another building, ready for what came next.

Sometime later, Spider-Man saw someone reaching to break into a car in an obviously suspcious manner. In an instant, he webbed up their hands and slammed their head on the windshield. He said, "Don't carjack. I shouldn't have to explain it to you." The car alarm went off as loud as it could as the man groaned.

"It's my car, asshole!"

Peter's lenses widened as he muttered, "O-Oh... Oh! Oh, crap! I'm so... so sorry!" he apologized hastily. He dusted the man's body off and wiped their hair, making up for what he did. "Jeez. Sorry, dude. I thought..." he stumbled on his words.

"Just go before I sue." was all the man said.

Spider-Man jumped away and shouted, "But remember what I said!"

He noticed an old lady wandering aimlessly, turned out she was new in town and was hoping to find the train station, judging by what Peter heard and so he jumped down and guided her to where she needed to go.

Peter had to admit, he loved seeing the fact that he's making lives better, no matter how minor his actions are. If it meant a tragedy was avoided and someone gained help, it was worth it for him.


After a few more hours of swinging and foiling petty crime, the sun began to set, and Spider-Man slowly climbed the complex he lived in, sneaking into the window as he made his way across the ceiling of his room. Peter removed his mask, dropping it on the floor. With the door closed, Peter stood on the ceiling and flipped onto the ground, landing perfectly on his feet in a smooth motion.

"Hey, dorko!" the teasing sound got Peter to flinch. He heard Trixie's snicker and he saw her and Ned sitting on his bed. Ned held a Lego Millenium Falcon in his hands.

"How did... When did you--" Peter stammered, taking off his costume as fast as he could, leaving him bare with only underwear.

Trixie held something in her hand, "Spare key."

The teen boy groaned, "...Right."

"So... How did it go?" asked Ned.

Peter rubbed the back of his neck before putting his hands on his hips with a smile, "Great. Awesome, actually. Stopped some burglars, helped an old lady with directions, and foiled a few muggings. Pretty good day if I can say that. The lady even bought me a taco. It was delicious."

Trixie shook her head and gave him a devious grin as she said, "I heard about the carjacking online." she handed Peter her phone and looked at the title.

"Spider-Man Screws Up: Mistakes Carjacking, Owner of Car Peeved Now." repeated the superhero in an annoyed tone. "A million views? Dear God, I'm already a viral meme video!?"

Ned smiled, "It happens."

While the conversation when on Peter put on a blue shirt and sweatpants, adjusting his hair for a second. "I see you already built the Millenium Falcon without me."

"I'll be honest. I got hype and did it before I got here." Ned admitted with a sheepish grin.

Trixie folded her arms, "I am not sure how the two of you can obsess over these toys. They take forever to build, and Trixie does not have the patience."

"They're not toys..." Peter corrected with a groan.

"They're a way of life!" Ned finished.

The girl rolled her eyes, "Same thing. Trixie should have stayed with her band."

Peter smirked, "But we're way better friends though."

"...Maybe." admitted Trixie under her breath.

Ned said, "I told you, Peter. Now, today we shall get started on building the Death Star."

Peter cracked his knuckles, "Finally. We're almost done Star Wars, after endless weeks of building."

Trixie raised a brow, "...Why am I here again?"

"Emotional support." joked Peter.

Ned laughed, "Exactly. Now how about we get the box open?"

VWOOM!

The three friends all raised their heads at the noise, all looking out the window. Down the corner, they saw purple lights glowing at the nearest bank. Peter sighed, "Great. Just when I wanted to take a break again." he pinched his temple. "And on a school night too."

"Is it that nuisance, Shocker?" Trixie asked in an annoyed tone.

With his costume back on, Spider-Man kneeled on the window sill. "That's what I intend to find out." he opened the window, "If May gets back, tell her I went grocery shopping for a few snacks. Can you guys do that for me?" he insisted, swinging off into action once again.

Ned saluted, "Aye aye, Spidey!"

"Did you just do that?" Trixie grunted in disbelief.

The boy shrugged, "What? It was cool!"


Inside the bank were three goons wearing stealth gear, using their enhanced guns to break into the vaults without issue. Spider-Man casually walked in, making sure the door behind him closed as quietly as possible. 'Okay. Play it cool and surprise them.' he told himself, thinking of a cool entrance line and pose. He put his his hands on his hips before deciding to lean on the wall, his leg over another.

Spider-Man cleared his throat, getting the three goons' attention, "So... Come here often?" he asked.

"The Spider-Man?" a male with a southern accent asked.

Spider-Man perched himself on the wall, "Yeah. I'm not Daredevil or anything. Why does everyone ask if it's me?"

"Well, it don't matter who it is. Cause we got these fancy toys." said the tall one.

Spider-Man narrowed his lenses, "You're not Shocker. There's only one. Who are you guys anyway?"

"Call us the Enforcers, the Big Man's best mercenaries. Call me Fancy Dan, there's Montana, and Ox." revealed the leader, now revealed to be Fancy Dan. "We were for a simple heist, but it looks like we get to squash a bug instead."

In a second, Spider-Man webbed Fancy Dan's mouth. "Actually, spiders are arachnids, not bugs."

Ox charged forward and swung an arm upward, but Peter leaned back with each punch, missing. "Is this why they call you Ox? Predictable is more like it." he held his fist and made him punch himself, making Ox stagger backwards as a result. Spider-Man jumped up and kicked Ox down while he was still perched to the ceiling, "Didn't your pal, Shocker tell you about me? I whooped his butt like ten times this week alone." he boasted.

"We ain't afraid of a boy in red pajamas." Montana declared, seeing Spider-Man jump down and give Ox a right hook.

"I'm a man! Like this Big Man you mentioned!" Spider-Man corrected, kicking Montana after jumping over Ox.

Fancy Dan removed the webbing, "Alright, that's it! You're not stopping us, Spider!" a lasso was revealed and was about to tie Spidey, but the hero jumped through the hoop, his fist colliding without Dan's face.

"This would make a good circus act at least." quipped Spider-Man, flipping back into his feet with ease. "Because you guys make terrible villains." he insulted.

Montana tried to give Peter a right hook, but Spider-Man ducked underneath his swing and uppercutted him, halting his attack before Ox striked back.

"Seriously? You guys are one trick ponies. You'd have worse odds fighting Daredevil, cause this is just embarrassing for you three." Spider-Man quipped, hopping onto the wall to bounce off of and kick the large Enforcer in the cheek.

Spider-Man dodged a tackle by Fancy Dan and kicked his stomach while in midair, "That's gotta smart!" he joked loudly.

"Shut up!" growled Ox.

"Hmm... nah!"

Peter punched Montana and Ox, bouncing off the walls again, unaware of what Fancy Dan had planned as he reached for the powerful gun that they used earlier before the fight.

"Alright, wall-crawler! You've become a major thorn in our organization's side!" declared Fancy Dan, the gun he was holding was glowing purple as he remained still.

'Purple... Like Shocker's gloves.' Peter realized in his head. He ducked for cover as a giant laser tore its way through the building, causing Fancy Dan to drop the weapon in a haste, it carving through the window and covering the inside in ash and debris as the beam moved about uncontrollably, "Holy crap!" shouted Spider-Man as he reached a web-ball for a the gun, hoping to jam it.

The web managed to cover the barrel of the strangely designed weapon, causing it to halt. When the smoke cleared, Peter realized that the Enforcers got away in the chaos. 'Crap. At least they didn't get the money.' he knelt down, hearing sirens. 'And this weapon, it's like the gloves Shocker has... but designed differently.' he noticed the purple glow fading.

Without taking any chances, he tore apart the gun and noticed a glowing purple orb, "Whoa... This looks like one of the strange things the Avengers found when they fought those crazy aliens." he realized, carefully holding it. "It looks to be stable now without having a source to exert its power."

Spider-Man turned his head, hearing the sirens get closer and he left before an even bigger scene could be made. 'Now I just have to figure out how these goons got their hands on something this powerful without the Avengers knowing.'


Peter finally made it back to his room, seeing Trixie and Ned await him. He changed into his normal clothes in a faster time and looked around hastily, hiding his costume under his bed as quick as possible, "Is Aunt May back yet?"

As the two shook their heads, the sound of a door opening got their attention. A woman no older than forty peeked into the bedroom with a relieved sigh, "Thank God you're alright." she said.

The nephew shrugged, "Why wouldn't we be?"

"I overheard what happened not too far away. The bank exploded in a purple light. Reports claim Spider-Man tried to stop it." May exhaled with a thin smile, "Do you three want to order pizza? I'm exhausted."

"Trixie would love it."

"Sure thing, Mrs. Parker."

Peter put his hands in his pockets and nodded, "That would be cool." he answered.

May nodded and closed the door, allowing the three to discuss what happened without interruption. "So, let me get this straight. You jumped into the exploding building?" Trixie asked in disbelief.

"More like the building exploded with me in it." Peter corrected.

Ned put a finger on his chin, "Well, what caused it to happen? Was it actually Shocker?"

The wall-crawler shook his head, "Surprisingly, not this time. There were three lame guys, the Enforcers. Fancy Dan, Montana and Ox. We didn't fight long cause that gun he had went off and destroyed the bank they were robbing and they got away."

"The gun was like Shocker's glove things you mentioned." Ned added, earning a nod from Peter.

Peter continued, "Exactly. But not only that..." he held out a purple orb, surprising Trixie and Ned.

"What is that supposed to be?"

"The power source for the gun and I assume Shocker's tech."

Trixie said through gritted teeth, "And you brught it here?! Have you finally gone insane?"

The boy waved a hand dismissively, "Don't worry, Trixie. Without any connection to a weapon or power source, it looks to be harmless. We should be safe."

Ned looked closely at it, "Woah! This is like... Next-level Avengers business we're dealing with here! This is awesome!"

The webslinger glared at the orb, "Maybe... But now I'm just wondering who'd be dumb enough to sell Avenger villain-level weaponry and tech to common criminals? This is on a new scale."

Trixie put her palm on her head, "Someone crazy that's for sure. Trixie wishes she'd stay out of this superhero business."


Toomes glared at the Enforcers, "You didn't get the money? You know the Big Man is gonna be pissed when he finds out." he pointed an accusing finger at the three, "Not only that, but you left one of my weapons with Spider-Man. Now that annoying prick has the chance to oust us once and for all."

Herman folded his arms, "Should'a let me handle it."

"The gun went haywire. We promise it won't happen again." Ox replied in a saddened tone.

Adrian frowned, "Be lucky my business is growing now more than ever to pay the Big Man back for his services." he turned around and faced the exosuit. "My revenge on Osborn can wait..." he smirked deviously as he saw his reflection on the pilot helmet.

"That kid in the onesie... He needs to be dealt with before he becomes a bigger problem. Next heist, I'm joining in, showing him what happens when he messes with our business." Toomes declared, facing Mason again.

Mason dropped the wrench, "Luckily, the enhancements to the jet system is ready, Adrian."

The boss nodded, "Nice work. Tomorrow night, the Spider-Man will be squashed."