• Published 7th Jul 2017
  • 5,728 Views, 351 Comments

Spider-Man: Web of Magic - MetalJrock



Peter Parker must juggle being a normal teenager, Spider-Man, and a mentor when threats appear from the woodworks.

  • ...
18
 351
 5,728

Issue #8: The Big Man

Early Monday mornings. They were despised by pretty much everyone, including a certain teen superhero as he tried to move faster than his usual morning commute, 'Found nothing last night... Ugh. Hopefully Shocker can make a move tonight so I can track him to whoever the Big Man is.' thought Peter, swinging over the buildings as he got closer to Canterlot High. He was in the costume Stark gave him, and had yet to touch any of the upgrades, minus the trackers of course.

'The darn tracker always jams and I can't figure out when and where. Once I do, maybe I can figure out his location. I should mention it to Trixie and Ned later on.' he thought, running on the side of a building to gain momsntum before jumping and swinging off again.

'At the very least, I think I can make it to school early for once. I knew webslinging was always the better option, it just took me this long to realize it..' Spider-Man commented in his head, 'Let that be a record set by Peter Benjamin Parker.' he quipped inward.

After some more swinging, he landed on the roof of his school. He looked at the time, 'Sweet! I have half an hour before first period begins. Finally, I'm early!' he cheered and hopped behind the dumpster, changing into his normal clothes, hiding his costume in his bookbag, where no one would hopefully open it.

"All right! Now all I have to do is walk in the door and--"

"RROOOOOAAAAARRRR!"

Peter paused in his tracks and immediately turned his head at the strange sound, "...Was that the sound of a roar? Is the universe out to maim me directly?"

Confused, Peter made a quick sprint to the track field. His Spider-Sense blared the closer he got to it, 'Yeah, I get it, there's danger alert. I got the gist from the loud lion roar.' he groaned in his head.

He finally stopped, his eyes widening by what he was seeing roaming the track. It was a large lion-like creature, with unique features not too far out of mythology. Not only that, but he noticed seven girls out there with it, five of them attempting to fight back, and the other two standing by, one charting down notes Peter couldn't read from where he was standing.

But what he did know were the identities; Sunset Shimmer, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rarity were holding the creature back as much as they could. Fluttershy and Twilight were standing on the sidelines, the former most likely not wanting to fight, the latter seemed to lack what the other girls had in this regard: pony ears and their hair extended to look like ponytails.

Peter pinched his temple, "Okay, this wasn't how I expected my morning to go down!" he shouted, getting the girls' attention. "I mean I get magic is common in this school, but this is ridiculous!"

"Peter?" shouted Sunset, "What are you doing here?!"

"First of all, I'm surprised you even know who I am. Second, I wanted to get to school earlier than usual, but something told me to come here. I have a sixth sense for that kind of stuff, that and there was a loud roar blaring from where I was walking!" explained Peter.

Twilight shouted, "Y-You can't be here! I-It's too dangerous! That's a manticore! Do you know how deadly they are?"

'Crud. What am I going to do? Run away like Flash Thompson would say I do, or fight and run the risk of my identity being exposed?' Peter thought, noticing Twilight's concerned gaze. 'No, I told myself to not turn the other way. Not again.' he sighed, 'Perhaps Peter Parker could do something instead.'

Peter shook his head, "No way. You all look like you need help, and that's what I intend to do!"

Rainbow could be heard scoffing, her wings fluttering as she dove underneath the mantic, "You kidding? What's someone like you gonna do to this? Bore it to death with knowledge?"

"Hey!" Peter and Twilight could be heard shouting at the same time.

Applejack tried to hold open its mouth, much to Rarity's disgust, "Ah'm all open for discussions. Twi's still tryin' to figure out the magic situation in the first place."

The boy walked forward and opened a hand, "Hey, Twilight. Can I see your notes?" he asked in a more determined tone. The girl slowly nodded and gave him the notepad, her secretly hoping he didn't she was crazy cause of what she charted down before transferring. "Let's see..." he muttered, "Huh. I missed all that while I was in Germany? I knew about the Sirens though..." he mused.

"I tried to chart down any consistencies involving these rifts and their magic. As of now, it seems their transformations and the portals' appearances are somewhat connected. This hasn't happened the Friendship Games, though..." Twilight elaborated, "D-Does that make sense?" she wondered.

"Hm. Yeah it does. These notes are actually really detailed." complimented Parker, "It's all good info. From the sound of it, there's a slight magical imbalance with the manticore's nature of being here." he realized, "As shown by the obvious vortex just floating there." he commented.

"Any other observations, Sherlock?!" Rainbow grunted, distracting it with another swerve.

Peter narrowed his eyes at the prismatic-haired girl, "If you'd let me finish, I was going to say that all you have to do probably is push the manticore back into the portal where it will close."

"Will it hurt it?" Fluttershy asked.

"Nope. Just a few shoves will do. Nothing lethal, I don't do that." assured Parker.

Twilight put a finger on her chin, "Huh. I didn't think you'd understand the notes and charts of magic I printed there to make that conclusion. But it could work."

"I've made odder charts, like one for who wrote the journals." quipped Peter nonchalantly. Twilight giggled at his comment.

Hearing his suggestion, the girls did all they could to push the ramaging manticore back, dodging its raised arm. Eventually, Rainbow lowered herself behind it as Applejack and Rarity shoved it, tripping the creature back into the portal, where it closed behind it. At that moment, the transformations the girls had faded.

"Huh. It actually worked." Rainbow murmured.

'I can't believe it either.' thought Peter.

"Great job, Peter!" Twilight cheered, wrapping her arms around his shoulders, catching him off guard. A moment later, she realized what she did and released the embrace, unable to see his blushing face, nor did he notice her face getting warmer from embarassment.

Sunset smiled and chuckled, "For someone not used to this, it's surprising to see him catch up."

Peter rubbed his head, "Yeah, believe it or not, my life can get a little crazy. I'm just glad to be of use for once." he commented.

"Well, can you promise not to tell anyone about this?" Applejack asked, "No one besides the school's supposed'ta know about these little incidents."

Parker nodded, "Sure thing, I guess."

Pinkie popped behind Peter, catching the wallcrawler off guard, making him jump, and unknown to him she was smirking at Twilight, "Hey! So, do you want to hang out with us later tonight? We're gonna be at the Sweet Shoppe!"

Rarity chuckled, and Twilight's eyes widened, realizing what they were doing, "Oh, yes. Consider it a thanks for helping us, darling. Even if it was a minor task."

'As good as the offer sounds... I got a Shocker and Big Man to catch tonight.' sighed Peter in disappointment.

Peter shook his head, "S-Sorry, girls. But I have... my Stark Internship. So, uh, maybe another time?" he suggested, walking to the other end of the school, "You're welcome, though. Now I gotta get to class!" he shouted, waving off the seven.

When Parker was out of sight, Twilight frowned, "Why... did you do that?"

"Don't look at me! I was against Peter helping." Rainbow huffed.

Applejack put a hand on her friend's shoulder, "That's not what she meant, Rainbow."

"Oh."

Rarity pursed her lips, "We're just trying to help you two break the ice, dearie." she comforted. "The last thing we want to do is make you uncomfortable."

"That, and he didn't have to help." Sunset reminded the bookworm, "Pinkie thought of it as a thanks. I think, anyway."

"Yep!" replied Pinkie, grabbing a cupcake out of her schoolbag which was dropped on the floor with the others.

"So, um... What do you think made that happen?" Fluttershy asked, changing the subject much to Twilight's relief.

Sunset Shimmer looked to where the rift once stood, "I'm not sure. That hasn't happened since the Friendship Games, though. Then again, magic has been becoming an issue since the crown returned to Equestria. Perhaps another artifact, or magic user?" she said.

"Like who would know about what's been going on? The device broke, the crown's not here, and the Sirens are powerless." Rainbow wondered. "We were told to by Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna keep this magic to ourselves. No one besides our school knows about it. Heck, we're still learning about our powers."

Twilight adjusted her glasses, composing herself, "Well, my theory was that your powers were connected to the brief magical imbalances this world has been dealing with lately. Since it originated here, the energy is most likely the strongest, making it a target for such discrepencies and rifts."

"Well for now, that's all we can work with." Sunset decided, hearing the bell ring, "Crud. We gotta get to class."


Another school day come and gone, and Spider-Man was out in the streets once again, his costume's tracker locating the Shocker. Meanwhile, he was getting an earful from a friend much to his chagrin now.

'What do you mean you turned down a dessert from Twilight and her friends? That could've been your chance, dude!' Ned shouted from his head.

Trixie groaned, 'You really are an idiot, Parker. You've been eyeing that girl since she transferred here and you threw away a chance to actually talk to her.'

Spider-Man sighed, crouching on the side of a building, his lenses narrowing, "Yeah, yeah. I'm an idiot, yadda yadda, I got it. But Spider-Manning comes first for me. Especially since Shocker's still out there." he muttered, "And can you keep it down? I don't want Aunt May to find out about my girl issues in case she's home... It's embarrassing." he added quietly.

'Whatever.'

Ned snickered before sobering, 'Anyway, I found Shocker's tracker signal below some kind of parking garage right next to you from what the map is telling me. Try looking there. And don't get lost, they get confusing.'

"Got it." Spidey responded.

Inside said parking garage, was Shocker parking a dirty truck. Standing right next to it was a man wearing green and purple. A minute later, Schultz stepped out, his mask removed and a large gun in his hands, "Here it is. The biggest, finest weapon I could salvage." Herman announced. He blew up a car next to him to demonstrate, much to the man's surprise.

Hiding above them was Peter, who was taken aback by the demonstration and chose to listen to the dealing.

"Man, what do you think I am?" Aaron Davis commented, removing his own mask, folding his arms in disappointment, "I'm supposed to be a silent thief, not a trigger-happy psychopath."

Schultz scowled, "You asked for a weapon, Davis. I got one."

"Yeah, but I was expecing anti-gravity gloves or magnets. Not a future-tech gun!" Aaron groaned. "The deal's off man!"

Schultz shook his head, "What a shame. I heard you were one of the best thieves in the city. You could've used the upgrade like the rest of us." he added.

Aaron raised a hand, "Sorry, Schultz. I ain't buying."

Herman grunted and opened the back of his gun, "Fine. Just know you're missing out." he said, stepping back into the car and driving away, and it was once he left that Spider-Man activated a little gadget on his belt.

Shining on Aaron was a logo shaped like Spider-Man's face, "Son of a bitch." he placed his mask back on his head, knowing who it was that arrived.

"So, Mister Criminal--" Spidey began.

"Prowler." Davis corrected.

Peter crouched on top of a vehicle, "Mister Criminal. You know Schultz, hm?"

Aaron nodded, "What about it?"

"I noticed you hate the weapons he's been selling. I'm trying to stop him. Think you could be a bro and give a clue as to where he goes every night?" Spider-Man asked. "My tracker jams everytime he ends up in there."

Prowler put his hands on his hips, "You know what? Screw it. That guy's gonna end up indirectly destroying this city if he keeps handing out these alien or whatever junk."

"Great." Peter said. "Spill the beans."

Prowler looked around, "He heads to the Big Man's place. Pulled a heist there once and got the location." he handed Spider-Man a card of the business the Big Man originates. "Hope that helps. Cause I don't want to get involved in this ridiculous junk."

Spider-Man nodded, "Thanks."

As Peter turned around, Prowler added, "You know... My nephew lives in the city. He's actually a huge fan of what you do." he added, "I don't want anything happening to him as well."

"Tell him I said he's awesome." Peter added, leaping away, but not before webbing up Aaron's feet. "That's for being a criminal!"

"Oh, come on--!"


'Wow. You were right, Peter. Shocker's signal just jams at that exact location.' Ned pointed out as Spider-Man was right across from the building Prowler told him to go. 'No wonder you couldn't find him. Whoever it is seriously thought ahead. And I thought we were being smart.'

'Well clearly not.' Trixie commented.

Spider-Man's lenses narrowed, "Doesn't matter. I'm going in and taking down the Big Man. I won't be able to get in contact. I'll get in touch as soon as I leave." he then made a beeline for the building, where he intended to end things.

Parker jumped through an open window and silently webbed up the two security guards before they could react, webbing them up on the ceiling to keep quiet. Once he was in the clear, he kicked open the door and saw the room was empty, sans a desk, a pool table, a chair and someone sitting on it, hiding themselves.

Spider-Man leapt on the desk, "I'm here to see Mister Lincoln..." he grunted, hoping to get a response.

"Then you should've made an appointment." the man replied, "But perhaps we'll make an exception..." the Big Man turned around, revealing himself at last. His skin was pale, and he had a square jaw. He looked to be aged and his voice was deep, he folded his hands, "...For the hero of the day. I am L. Thompson Lincoln." he introduced.

Scoffing, Peter replied, "Please. You're the Big Man!"

Lincoln began to stand up, towering over Spider-Man in stature, "In my life. I've been called many names... My favorite... is Tombstone." he finished, clenching his fists.

Spider-Man stood up in a confronting manner, "Back off! I just took down the Vulture! A pale guy in a suit with shark teeth won't--"

The wallcrawler was then smacked aside by Tombstone, causing Peter to backflip to get his bearings as he fell to the floor. Tombstone then jumped after him. Spider-Man was ready to attack, but the Big Man cluntered with an uppercut and right hook to the jaw, launching the webslinger aside as hard as he could. He was about to stand, but Tombstone pinned him down on the floor where he struggled and grunted.

"Don't move... Just listen." Tombstone lowered himself as he declared this, "And I'll teach you the facts of life." Peter shot a webline to a billard ball at the Big Man, but Lincoln caught it and crushed it in his grip, never turning away from the wallcrawler.

"The Big Man whoever might be has nothing against heroes..." he revealed, "No hero can thwart enough crime to dent his income." he tehn stepped off of Spider-Man.

"But you... You threaten criminals off the street entirely and put a dent into said income. Except when you're off battling the Vulture or off with the Avengers..." Tombstone walked back to his desk, "Then the Big Man's army of thugs think themselves beneath the Spider-Man's notice, especially with such weapons being sold. Then the Big Man can continue making his profit."

Spider-Man stood up, "So, as long as I keep fighting crime, you're just going to continue trading these weapons? To send henchmen after me?" he wondered.

"Now you're learning..." Tombstone answered, "But there is a way out of this." he sat down and revealed a briefcase and shown him a pile of dollar bills, "Come work for me and save the world like a good hero. I'll even pay you. All you have to do is look the other way on occassion..." Lincoln's eyes narrowed, "On any occassion I choose."

Answering almost immediately, Spider-Man responded in a determined tone, "I can't ever look the other way again." he got into a fighting stance again, "Let's finish this!"

Tombstone sighed and closed the briefcase, "If you insist." he then pressed a button and two officers and a man with a flathead ran in, hearing the intrusion. "Hammerhead. Officers. Spider-Man has trespassed on my property. Assaulted my employees and threatened my person." he announced.

"W-Wait!" Spider-Man raised his hands, "You can't listen to him. He's the bad guy! He--" the officers looked up, noticing the guards that he webbed to the ceiling.

Hammerhead cracked his knuckles as one of the officers spoke, "Freeze, Spider-Man! You're under--"

Peter grunted and webbed a chair and threw it at a window, yanking it back as the glass shattered, allowing him to escape. He swing away as the sun rose, 'I've never run from the cops before... And this sucks! I've won against Vulture, half the Avengers, and a manticore and never even came close to winning the war! But Tombstone did make one mistake... Now I know there is a war.'

Back in Tombstone's building, he looked out the window Spider-Man broke. The two officers left to guard the entrance once more, leaving him and Hammerhead, the latter speaking, "What are we gonna do about him, boss?"

Lincoln put his arms behind his back, "My associate, Spencer Smythe has talked of an artifact forged from magic. He mentioned needing... guinea pigs to test its properties. Perhaps I'll take him on the suggestion." he revealed. "The Spider-Man could be a bigger nuisance later down the line."

"What do ya need me to do in the meantime?" Hammerhead questioned, clenching his fists.

"Find me guinea pigs. We will forge a new army, one that could combat Spider-Man." Tombstone revealed.

Author's Note:

And so the Vulture Arc is truly at an end. This was the least MLP involved arc of the story and I apologize for that.

The next arc will deal with Spider-Man crossing paths with two certain vigilantes and how Sunset Shimmer will find herself involved with this mess.