• Published 12th Nov 2017
  • 1,949 Views, 60 Comments

How Yer Folks Got Together - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Little Green learns how her parents got together

  • ...
0
 60
 1,949

And Home Again

"Well, that pretty much covers it," Applejack said to her daughter. "You now know everything from how we first met to our gettin' married."

"And it didn't take nine years to do it," Soarin added with a grin.

"Yeah," Little Green replied, picking up one of the fritters. "So, when did you decide to have me?"

"That was something we talked about before we even got married," Soarin answered. "You've seen Mama's side of the family and how big it is, and I was an only child, but wanted brothers and sisters when growing up, so we both kind of wanted to have a big family."

"Speaking of," Applejack said as she turned to Soarin, "maybe it's time we talked about havin' another."

Soarin looked at his wife a moment, lips pursed. He then turned toward his daughter, raising an eyebrow.

"What do you think, Green?" he asked. "Ready to be a big sister?"

The filly's eyes went wide as she thought of the possibility. A big sister, just like her mother. A little brother or sister (preferably sister) to look up to her. Somepony to help her guide, to teach, to help. Maybe they would even be a pegasus, and she could help them learn how to fly.

A wide grin spread across Little Green's face as she let out a high pitched squeal that made bat ponies on the other side of Ponyville cover their ears.

"Well, that's a resounding yes," Applejack said, rubbing at one of her ears as she let out a chuckle.

"Green," Soarin said softly. "Remember to breathe."

The high pitched squeal came to an end as the filly did as she was told. Taking a deep breath, she slowly let it out, trying to calm down as she did. Still, her wings fluttered excitedly as her tail flicked back and forth.

"A'right," Applejack said as she got up and stretched. "How 'bout you help pack up the picnic and we head home?"

The three of them started packing up, putting away the dishes and what little bits of food still remained. Once everything was picked up and placed back in the basket, Applejack took it.

As they started to leave, Little Green stopped and looked back.

"I'll catch up in a second," she said. Applejack and Soarin looked at her a moment, then at each other, before continuing on.

As soon her parents were out of sight, Little Green ran back to the intertwined trees and gave them a hug. It may not have been the same as hugging her actual grandparents, but it was enough for her.

"I'm sorry we never actually met," she said before letting go. After giving the trees a gentle pat, she turned and ran off, trying to catch up with her parents.

Author's Note:

I was going to save this for next week, but considering how short it is, may as well finish the story up now.

Thanks to those who enjoyed the little story I made.

Comments ( 9 )

"And it didn't take nine years to do it," Soarin added with a grin.

Cute. Real cute.

I liked the part at the end there, is there going to be a follow-up story? One where Green is navigating the pitfalls of being an older sibling. Something I thought would be interesting to see would be Applejack having triplets, can you imagine Green's mixed feelings over that?

8613944
I do plan on writing more with Little Green and some of her own events. I also have an idea for a younger sibling in mind, but nothing concrete, and I don't know when I'll get around to bringing them in.

this was a nice change of pace from all the high stakes stuff I usually read thank you for writing this

This was a really adorable story. I loved it from start to finish, and I now wholeheartedly ship Applejack with Soarin. :pinkiehappy:

(Hope that there might sometime be a sequel with Little Green. XD)

You know, I really don't know why it took me three dayum years to read this. Captain Unstoppable highly recommended it, but I just... never found the time. Now that I have... I just adore it!

As I said in my last comment, you did such a great job of avoiding cliches and tropes. Most of the SoarinJack stories I've read have him as some pie obsessed stalker who spent years trying to track her down, she immediately tells him to get lost, he wears her down until she finally agrees to a date, he tries to be smooth but completely fucks up the date, et cetera et cetera. This, though? I... I legit can't think of a better word to describe it that "real." This isn't some story book romance between a swooning maiden and a charming prince. It's just... two ponies gradually getting to know each other and liking what they find. Applejack being hung up over it not being a story book deal was a nice touch. And it doesn't end on some huge sweeping note. In keeping with the story, it just calmly and naturally ends.

Overall, this is a heartwarming story of two ponies coming together, and a great exercise in the concept that an anti-climax isn't always a bad thing. I utterly adored it. Stay awesome, my dude! :ajsmug:

As soon her parents were out of sight, Little Green ran back to the intertwined trees and gave them a hug. It may not have been the same as hugging her actual grandparents, but it was enough for her.

Awww oh my God 😢😭

Well this was a very nice story and and seeing Applejack and soarin ship here so Applejack and soarin and little green finish the picnic and started heading back home they even thinking of having another kid with little green was pretty excited but before they went back little green hug the tree supposably pear butter and bright Mac tree that was really sweet nice job on the story

I always liked this shipping fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/355/e/d/applejack_x_soarin_by_katiramoon-d5opwer.jpg of for this picture if nothing else.

Gonna dig into this as soon as I can

Login or register to comment