• Published 13th Jul 2012
  • 7,125 Views, 154 Comments

Impressions - Lusewing



When all you want to do is to get back to where you belong it is easy to make mistakes.

  • ...
12
 154
 7,125

Sleepless night

Alice stared at the ceiling above her in the half-light that seeped through her covered windows. She could hear the rain outside, but the view would never change from any of her windows. It would always be a sunny Tuesday morning in her world, there to see but never touch. She toyed with the thought that the view meant her world was frozen in time, that when she got back everything would be like she had never left. The thought was a comforting one, but even she knew she was just clutching at straws.

Sounds of others sleeping could be heard in the room adjacent for the first time in ages. The ponies had finally left her alone to sleep - correction, the pink one had finally left her alone to sleep, though she had moved one of her cabinets against the door to make sure she didn't end up with a horse head on her pillow by the morning. The pegasus pony however had decided not to stay, instead opting to search for the two that had run off due to the mask incident. The problem now was that Alice herself couldn't sleep - her mind was racing, and she was stressed as hell.

“So, what do you think of the locals?” The male voice drifted from close by, but was kept quiet, so that none of her ‘guests’ would hear.

“George, my favourite delusion. Like my life was not weird enough already without the magical disembodied voice.” Alice pulled her blanket over her face and tried to will herself to sleep. As much as she had wanted George to give her some advice earlier, she now found herself reluctant. Meeting and talking with those ponies had been the first real bit of socialising she had done since getting here. It was weird - well, that was an understatement - but at least they were not just voices in her head.

“You forgot to add charming. Oh, and witty.” There was no change to the voice, even with the blanket in the way. However, he was being much more chatty than normal - most of the time, it was a simple snarky comment said in passing, or sometimes - rarely - advice on not eating a particular plant. First the warning and now this banter? Never had he spoken this much in one day, though it was likely past midnight by now, so technically it was a new day.

“How did you know they were coming? The ponies.” No matter how many times Alice might say to herself that George was simply a part of her psyche created to keep her sane, there were always times that he would do or say something that completely went against what she knew herself. It scared her in a way that clawed at her stomach and made her go cold.

“I have my ways.” The words were spoken with an air of humour and cockiness. It grated on Alice - he made it sound like he knew so much and enjoyed her ignorance.

“That’s not answering my question.” She didn't plan on giving up this time. She had had enough of sitting in the dark. She wanted answers. So, if George wanted a little night chat, she might as well use the time wisely.

“And you didn't answer mine. What do you think of the little ponies?” There was a warning to the voice now; this was not a conversation she was going to be able to steer, so she might as well go along with it for now.

Alice took a moment to think. The ponies had acted so, well...human. The four she had met had certainly all been different from one another, in the same way each person was. From what she had seen both today and from the glimpses she had gotten at the forest edge, these ponies were - aside from how they looked - people.

“They are interesting. Like humans seen from another angle.”

“So then, I take it you will be moving from this little shack. Maybe find a nice little cottage with a garden and a picket fence?” George sounded bored, but there was something else to the tone of his voice.

“What? I said they were interesting, not that I wanted to move in with them. As much as I have enjoyed having my life ripped away from me, turning every day into one long nightmare, all I want is to go home. Twilight, that purple unicorn pony, said that while she didn't know how to send me back, she thought that their Princess might.” That was one of the thoughts that was keeping her awake. Could she really have a chance at being sent home? Magic seemed to be the only real option at this point - though how she had gotten here in the first place, since her world didn't have magic, was still a mystery.

“And you believe her?” Now George was mocking her.

“I don’t really have much of a choice any more. Truthfully, I think it is just her way of getting me to go to see whoever is in charge of this place. But, if there is even the smallest chance I can get back...then I think I need to try and take it. It’s not like sticking around here has done me any good, or gotten me any closer to going back.” Alice looked around her room. Since getting here all she had done was survived (and it was a miracle she had managed that), but if everything stayed as it was, then could she really just sit back and hope that whatever fluke had brought her here would happen again?
“I can’t really wait and hope for another tornado, Toto. Time to go and see the Wizard, I guess.”

George chuckled and his tone grew much more...playful.
“Well, I am glad you have finally decided to stop sulking in this little hidey-hole of yours and live a little. Such a pity that the Princess won’t be able to help you.”

“What, how do you know?” Alice pulled the covers off her and looked around the room to try and find George but - as always - she was alone in the half-light.

“I would keep your voice down, unless you want to wake our little guests.” That was another warning; one that send a very real - almost painful - shiver up Alice’s spine.

“Fine.” The human crossed her arms, though winced as she pulled at her left shoulder a little too hard. She lowered her voice and tried to remain civil to the voice in her head.
“How do you know that this Princess won’t be able to send me home?”

“Because, my dear, I know how you got here, and I know who can send you home.”

***********************

As the Sun finally started to come up, Rainbow Dash closed her eyes for a moment, and enjoyed the warmth that spread across her tired and aching flight muscles. She hated flying at night, especially in a storm, though that had thankfully died out about an hour ago. The morning mist still caused her wings to become damp, and send a chill right to her bones. Plus, there was so little to see at night - everything was just shades and shadows, black and grey. Below her stretched out one of the largest shadows in the area, but with the new day's light starting to touch the tops of the leaves, a tint of green began to creep back into vista below her.

Smoke was rising from Zecora’s cottage, though she doubted either occupants would be up at this hour. Rainbow Dash had made sure to check in on both the Zebra and Fluttershy first thing after leaving Alice and the others. Both had been fine, though Fluttershy had not stopped sobbing and asking for her forgiveness for being such a terrible friend and leaving them all. Turns out the zebra had figured out - at the same time as Twilight - that for a creature to go to so much trouble to try and scare them off it could not be that dangerous. It had been her that had stopped Fluttershy from coming back to help them with Alice after she had realised that she had left them. Zecora might not be a pegasus pony, but she could sense the change in the forest and the oncoming storm. Rainbow Dash had given them both a brief overview as to what had happened, but she couldn't really stay long. The herbalist said she would be round to lead the others back first thing in the morning, as apparently paths liked to change in the Everfree Forest after a storm.

After making sure Fluttershy and Zecora were both safe, Rainbow Dash had raced over to the the library. Spike had not been happy when he was woken up, but after reassuring him that everypony was A-okay and it was all just a bit weird, he settled down to being just annoyed that he was missing out on yet another adventure. Twilight hadn't been able to give Rainbow Dash a letter so she had had to dictate to Spike what had happened, though she kept it brief:

Dear Princess Celestia,

Sorry to send this so late, but we have a situation just outside Ponyville - in the Everfree Forest. Some weird creature called a human claims to be from another world. It doesn't seem to be dangerous, but we are not sure what to do with it, and hoped you might be able to help.

Your Loyal Subject, Rainbow Dash

Having to wait for a reply, Dash had opted to sit with Spike and read the fourth Daring Do book out loud to help him settle down. He was asleep before she was half way through the second chapter, so at least he had managed to get some rest. She, on the other hoof, had made do with some light dozing till the reply had arrived just a few moments ago.

Now the scroll sat in a saddle bag at her side, urging Rainbow Dash to carry on and quicken her pace and get the message to Twilight. It had surprised Dash just how long it had taken the Princess to respond to the letter - but then again - even royalty needed sleep. Taking stock of her bearings, the pegasus found the clearing she had memorised when she had left earlier that night, she adjusted her flight path accordingly, before making her descent.

With her hooves back on the ground, the rainbow mare trotted through the barrier, shaking off her wings to clear them of the last droplets of morning mist. She looked around to check that everypony was still okay and not hurt (or eaten), but all seemed well. Pinkie Pie was sleeping with her hooves in the air; a thick blanket curled around her like a nest and Applejack was resting in one of the corners with her hat tilted over her face. Twilight, however, had her ear pressed to the left wall, and was clearly trying to listen to something. In fact, she was so engrossed she didn't even notice that Rainbow Dash had returned.

"Twilight?"

"Shh - OH!" It had taken a moment for unicorn to realise it was Rainbow Dash, but she quickly came over to take the letter from her friend. The unicorn had a glint in her eye, that told a certain pegasis she had been working all night without brakes - and that always made for a slightly scary Twilight Sparkle. Rainbow Dash edged away and flopped down on one of the cushions with a yawn, as her friend opened and read the letter.

"What was with the whole ear to the wall thing about?" Knowing Twilight, it was quite likely she was simply hearing things due to lack of sleep, thought Dash.

"The Princess wants to meet us just outside the Everfree forest at noon...hmm, what did you say, Dash?" They were both whispering to try and not wake the other two ponies.

“I said, why were you listening at the wall?” Rainbow Dash fidgeted, before turning to punch the cushion a few times. It was hardly a cloud but, for now, she was too tired to care.

“I was sure I heard voices coming from the other room.” Twilight went back to pressing her ear against the wall again.

“So? With how nutty that human acts, I would not be surprised if she talks to herself. Besides, it is hardly strange to talk in your sleep. On cue, Pinkie Pie began mumbling about cupcakes wearing top hats and not standing still while she ate them.

“See?” pointed out a very sleepy cyan pony.

“But I am sure I heard a different voice.” She couldn't have been mistaken, could she?

“Twilight, have you slept at all?” Rainbow Dash was already starting to close her eyes; it was way too early to be up.

“How can I sleep at a time like this? We are on the cusp of one of the biggest discoveries in centuries. Ah! I should have asked you to bring back one of my notebooks.” Twilight suddenly found herself hit in the face with a pillow.

“Get some sleep, egghead.”

Author's Note:

I told you I almost had this chapter done.