• Published 21st Sep 2017
  • 943 Views, 14 Comments

Under Crimson Sails - Priceless911



Captain Crimson Sail is a noble who chose a life of piracy to hunt down anouther priate for the muder of his father. After 20 years of searching all clues points to a deceptive mare that may hold the key to finding and killing Captain Iron Hoof.

  • ...
2
 14
 943

Ch6 The Crimson Pirates

As the sun peered over the horizon, Captain Sail stepped out of his cabin as another sailor saw him and called, “CAPTAIN ON DECK!!!”
Seeing the sailor, Captain Sail replied, “As you were… how was the night watch?”
The sailor replied with a nervous reply, “Well… um… we had an incident with um… four sailors.”
Captain Sail gave the sailor a stern look, “Incident… what kind of incident?”
The sailor slowly pointed up as Captain Sail looked into the ships rigging as he replied, “oh… that kind.”
At that moment Pinpoint trotted up from below deck as he spoke, “captain… we took a count for the morning… but… we have four sailors un-counted for.”
Captain Sail replied, “Don’t worry about them, Mr. Point, It seems that all four of them are aloft.”

Knowing what the term meant, Pinpoint looked to the rigging above as he spotted all four missing sailors, as they hung by their hind hooves from the highest yardarm with bruises that indicated that all four of them were beaten within an inch of their lives. As the two looked over the hanging sailors, Pinpoint asked, “What happened?...” he looked to the night watch, “Explain yourself now!”
The sailor replied, “I-it wasn’t me sir… It was the mare.”
Captain Sail replied, “Was it now?...”
The sailor replied, “Last night, a few of the crew were talkin’ about tryin’ somethin’ with her… but as you can see… they failed. As punishment… she beat ‘em to a pulp, and strung ‘em up as… an example.”
Captain Sail gave the hanging sailors a stern look, “did she now?...”

Pinpoint looked to another sailor as he called, “Climb up there and cut ‘em down, be careful no-”
“no.”
Pinpoint looked back at Captain Sail, “No?... captain?”
Captain Sail replied with an angry look, “Aye… I said no… Let ‘em hang there for their actions. As the lass did… I want ‘em to remain there as an example to the rest of the crew. Nay… a warning.”
The night sailor asked, “A warnin’ captain?”
Captain Sail nodded, “Aye… A warnin’ to anypony on my ship who wants to try anymore funny business with the lass. Cuz if it happens again… I'll fodder each and every one of ‘em.” He looked back at the hanging sailors, “Leave ‘em up there till we arrive in Pirate Cove. Perhaps a day bakin’ in the hot sun will remind ‘em of their manners… Better yet, gather the crew on the deck in five minutes. I'd like to teach a lesson to the rest of the crew about manners.”
Captain Sail turned and trotted towards the stairs to the lower deck as Pinpoint asked, “Where are you goin’ captain?”
Captain Sail replied, “I’m goin’ to check on our guest. See to your instruction, I'll be back to teach soon.”
Pinpoint nodded as he replied, “Aye Captain, I will.”

Captain Sail preceded to go down below as he made his way to the orlop deck where the crew slept. As he arrived on the deck, the last of the crew was on their way out as one called, “Captain on deck!!!”
As Captain Sail looked to the sailor he replied, “Carry on… Report to Mr. Point for your work.”
The sailors nodded, “Aye, aye Capt’n!”
As the sailors trotted passed him, Captain Sail looked down to the end of the deck as he saw Siren washing her mane in a barrel. Hearing the earlier call, she looked to Captain Sail with a distasteful look before going back to her business without a single word said. Seeing the look that was given clearly, Captain Sail made his way closer to her as he passed all the hung hammocks that belonged to the crew. At the very end, right before reaching Siren, Captain Sail saw one of the hammocks that had a small belt that was small enough to hide under a vest with a dagger in a small sheath. As Captain Sail reached over and picked up the dagger, Siren spoke without looking at him, “I wouldn’t play with that if I were you… you’ll poke your eye out.”

Captain Sail laid the belt back as he replied, “I saw the number you did on those sailors… care to explain?”
He mare smiled in a smug way, “there ain’t much to say… they approached me last night and offered to show me a… good time. But I decided to show ‘em a time of my own. Now I don’t know about them… but I had a blast. It’s been a while since I was in a fight like that.”
Captain Sail nodded, “I see… did ya at least fight fair?”
Siren shook her head, “I offered ‘em to get more ponies to fight with them… but they thought they could handle me themselves. So it wasn’t very fair at all.”
Captain Sail smiled, “Well… perhaps they didn’t know what it was that they were up against.”

Siren poured water over her mane as she replied, “do you?...”
Captain Sail nodded, “Indeed I do lass… but enough about us… I think a better topic… lies on your… plot.”
As soon as she heard his comment, Siren looked at Captain Sail who only returned the look with a smile as she swung her hoof in an attempt to punch him, however, before her hoof could make contact, Captain Sail raised a dagger as the metal on her hoof made contact with the blade making a spark fly through the air. Surprised, Siren shifted her eyes to her hammock where she noticed that her belt was there but without the dagger, then she looked back at Captain Sail as he spoke, “a thousand pardons lass… but my comment wasn’t directed to your figure, but your cutiemark. A music note with a jolly roger on the stem. Kinda poetic if I say so meself. But as curious as your mark is… it’s nothin’ to these…”

With the dagger still placed against the metal horseshoe on her hoof, Captain Sail shifted the dagger enough to make an obvious metal scraping sound as he continued, “A metal horseshoe nailed directly to the bottom of your hoof… Now I know of many ways for a crew to pledge loyalty to their captain… but is that what this is?... or is it somethin’ else?”
Siren pushed the dagger away as she gave Captain Sail an angry look, “That matter is not on your horizon so you shouldn’t concern yourself with it.”
Siren went back to the barrel and dried her mane as he nodded, “I see… well, since you obviously hold a sort of hostility amongst myself and this crew…” he put away the dagger, “I'll just hold onto this until you learn to play nice. Can’t have a dangerous mare with a dangerous weapon loose on my ship.”

Siren gave Captain Sail a slightly seductive look, “come now captain… you should know by now that it isn’t the dagger that makes me dangerous.”
Captain Sail smiled as he turned to leave, “Lesser of two evils lass… lesser of two evils.”
As Captain Sail turned to leave Siren started bradding her now dry mane as she spoke, “I heard a funny rumor amongst the crew last night… somethin’ about how their noble captain, is just that... a noble.”
Captain Sail stopped, “did ya now?”
She nodded, “Aye I did… and now they’re talkin’ amongst themselves… Is it possible to follow a captain to riches, when he already has well more than the crew he manages?”
Captain Sail replied, “The word you’re lookin’ for, is treasure. And aye, ya can. After all, not all treasure be silver and gold.”

Siren gave him a sinister smile, “really… and what treasure would leave you to abandon your lap of luxury, for an aging boat and a scurvy crew?”
Captain Sail smiled, “I only seek to claim my prize.”
She continued, “And will this prize be enough to calm your crew?... their trust in you is fading with these rumors, so… what’s to stop ‘em from attemptin’ a mutiny?”
Captain Sail replied, “They each know what will happen if they even consider such an act. But as threatenin’ as your tone is… there is some truth to your warnin’. S’pose I should add that to my lesson I’m ‘bout to teach. Meet me on the deck in five minutes. You could take a lesson on how a captain keeps his crew on line.”
With nothing more to say, Captain Sail trotted back down the line of hammocks as Siren mocked him behind his back muttering, “You can take a lesson on how a captain keeps his crew in line… tch Blowhard.”
Although he didn’t hear her completely, Captain Sail did hear the insult as he mumbled without slowing his pace, “Trollop.”

Later, Captain Sail stood atop the upper deck as he overlooked his crew who were working on the main deck as Pinpoint and Siren trotted up to the main deck as Pinpoint spoke, “The crew are all present captain.”
Captain Sail nodded, “good… then it’s time to teach the lesson.”
Pinpoint nodded as he turned to the lower decks and called, “All hooves pull your head out your plots and listen up!!! Captain’s gotta teach stuff, so listen up!!!”
Hearing the order, the crew started to gather around on the main deck as they looked to the upper deck that Captain Sail was standing on as Captain Sail called, “I'd like to start by bringin’ your attention to the ugly additions to our sails above.” He looked to the still hanging stallions then looked back, “Last night… these four gutless dogs disgraced this crew’s name, by showin’ disrespect to our temporary guest. Luckily, her response was with a sense of grace and elegance. She gracefully beat the tar out of ‘em, then elegantly hung ‘em out for all to see.”

Captain Sail looked up as he saw that the four hanging ponies were all four conscious as he smiled sinisterly, “though as bad as it may seem… it’s a thousand times more merciful than if I had gotten to ‘em first.” He looked back at his crew, “So listen and listen well… while aboard this ship, the lass is a guest and will be treated as such. Any actions that intend harm or unwelcomed contact will not be tolerated. And to prove a point…” He looked back at the four sailors as he spoke loud enough for the rest of the crew to hear, “Mr. Point… I want you to keelhaul these sailors… then hang ‘em back up to dry. They will remain there until we arrive at Pirate Cove. Then, they will leave the crew with only their personal items, and their lives if they manage to hold onto them.” He looked back at the rest of the crew, “Cuz if I catch anypony else attemptin’ such actions… they will personally taste an explosive shell… before… and after I light the fuse. AM I CLEAR!?!”
The crew called in agreement, “AYE!!!”

Captain Sail nodded as he continued, “good… now to another matter. I’m sure everypony here had either heard or muttered sayings of what our noble guest The Reaper said as she and her wire toting’ Cutter boarded our ship back in Equestria. But for those of you who wish to play dumb… I'll remind ya. Upon our arrival in Equestria, a mare who’s name you will all know as The Reaper. Boarded our ship and spoke of a time long passed, using’ terms, like lord and noble to describe me. And it is all true.”
the crew started looking amongst themselves at their reactions as Captain Sail continued, “I did once hold the title, I lived in a fancy house, filled with money, servants, and anythin’ my spoiled little heart could ask for… includin’ that beautiful and deadly mare, who was to be my bride. But don’t think for a second that makes me soft.” His expression became angry, “that is no way for sailor such as I, to live. That fancy manor was a prison, that money a ball and chain, and if I had stayed there any longer, I would have become a lubber just like the rest of them. My name says it all… it says that I’m supposed to journey across the seas with no ties to anypony but the wind to my back and the sailors on my ship. And yes… that decision left an entire fortune and a beautiful mare at altar, with no groom to live her happily ever after.”

He looked at Siren’s reaction which was slight surprise before looking back to the crew and smiling in a sinister fashion, “But that only proves, that death herself, can’t keep me from the sea. I came out here to hunt a ghost for my own personal reasons, and that is where the matter ends. So any talk of this, lord business will be put to rest smartly. Or I'll be puttin’ you to rest, the very way that leaves a smile on both my and Mr. Keg’s faces. And if I hear, any such talk of mutiny, or distrust amongst this crew…” His smile faded as his expression turned to rage that sent chills up the entire crew’s spine, “I’ll decorate the yardarms with your innards while leavin’ you alive long enough to give a full critique on it… am I clear?”
Although their reaction wasn’t as enthusiastic as the last, the crew nodded as they replied slightly out of sync, “Aye!”
Captain Sail’s expression stayed angry as his tone resembled no change, “good.” He turned away from the crew, “Now get back to work.”

Feeling uneasy by his announcement, the crew stood in confusion for a second until Pinpoint noticed their hesitation and called, “You got barnacles in your ears?!? Get back to work you scabless dogs!!!”
The crew quickly broke up as the crimson pirates quickly went back to their posts as Pinpoint made sure they each did as they were told. Then Pinpoint turned back to Captain Sail and saw the angry expression on his face, “captain?... are you okay?”
Captain Sails anger seemed to vanish without a trace as he smiled, “why wouldn’t I be?... the crew got the message, and I feel that the rumors and doubt will no longer be a problem.”
Siren asked, “so… that’s how a captain is meant to handle his crew?... Empty threats?”
Captain Sail shook his head, “Nothin’ empty ‘bout them… Mr. Point, ready the keelhaul rope, keelhaul that quartette, then hang ‘em back where they are.”

Siren was somewhat surprised, “You’re really goin’ to do it?”
Captain Sail smiled, “I am a captain of my word. They will be keelhauled and dropped in Pirate Cove…if they survive that is. Ever been keelhauled on a frigate sized ship?... it isn’t so much as torture, but closer to execution.”
Siren nodded as she remembered the keelhaul that she went through on the Iron Wing. As the hanging sailors were lowered to the deck, Captain Sail trotted to the lower deck and watched as his crew kept the ropes they were hanging from tied to their hind hooves and tied another rope to their front that was strung over the edge of the port side and came back up the starboard. As soon as the ropes were fastened, the four sailors were raised up by their hooves and hung over the port side, at eye level with Captain Sail as he spoke, “try not to scream when the barnacles cut ya… you might drown.”

As soon as that was said, the sailors attempted to plead for mercy as Captain Sail silently watched as the sailors were lowered head first into the waters below. With the ropes pulling the sailors under this ship, Captain Sail watched as Siren trotted up to him and spoke, “I’m kinda surprised you’re doing’ this.”
Captain Sail replied without concern, “a captain must tend to his crew, and in some cases, discipline them.”
Siren replied, “Yea… but the way you acted in Equestria made me see ya as soft. You didn’t kill any guards when we fled the dock, and didn’t stay to finish their ships either. All you did was use petty tricks and trinkets to get away from them. It was like you didn’t want to kill any of them.”

Captain Sail turned and started casually trotting to the other side of the ship, “If necessary I have no problem killin’ royal guards. However, I wanted to get away before news of our fight could reach somepony I know.”
“Your… Reaper?”
Captain Sail nodded, “Maybe once… but not anymore. As I left to find my prize, she stayed and found hers.”
Siren was curious, “So… your prize that you spoke of earlier… it’s Captain Iron Hoof isn’t it? Funny, I could have sworn you were flirtin’ with me earlier. I didn’t think you played for the other team.”
Captain Sail chuckled, “I’m not that kind of pirate lass… what I meant by prize, is that I want him to bleed. I want to see him burn upon his ship as it sinks to the bottom of the sea, by my cannon. That lass, is the real prize.”
Siren was curious, “oh… he did somethin’ to scorn you didn’t he? What was it? Did he steal your fortune? Or perhaps he sunk a ship belongin’ to your family… wait… did he kill anypony you know?”

Showing no sign that she was close to guessing his reason, Captain Sail smiled as he replied, “Now, now lass… if you refuse to share a tale of your past with us… then why would I waste the time to share mine with you? After all, ya failed to mention your reason for goin’ after him either, nor did ya say anythin’ about where your crew or ship is set up at. Did you not introduce yourself as Captain when we first met? Takes more than charm and a hat to carry a title like that.”
Seeing what he was trying to do, annoyed Siren as she replied, “Just get me to the leviathan sea and I'll get you your prize… although it will all be for naught. My blade will be the one used to kill iron hoof.”
Refusing to continue the conversation, Siren turned and trotted towards the bow as the captain watched out the corner of his eye as he mumbled, “Then I guess we will race to take his life won’t we… game on lass.”

Just then the sound of coughing followed by moans and groans of pain were heard as Captain Sail looked over the ships railing to see the four imprisoned crewmates as their heads surfaced slowly above the water. As their bodies followed, a large number of exposed cuts were seen stretching along all four ponies as the deep lacerations bled and dripped from their bodies along with the salt water that they just emerged from. Moaning in pain the sailors were raised high enough for Captain Sail to look them over as he spoke, “Congrats gents… you four survived, and with cuts that didn’t need stitching’. Bravo, seems you have the luck of the sea on your side.”

Relived the torture was over, but still engulfed in pain, one of the sailors spoke, “Capt’n… please, I beg thee mercy. We swear we won’t do it again. Just please, don’t put us through any more.”
Captain Sail wasn’t moved, “I gave you all the mercy I had to offer. Otherwise, we’d be scrubbin’ these ropes to try to clean the gunpowder and your brains from the fibers. But since you said please… I'll show a slight bit more.” He turned to Pinpoint and the sailors beside him as he spoke, “Get these sailors a cup of fresh water then string ‘em back up. I don’t want them dehydratin’ before we get to the Cove.”
With the sailors following their orders, Captain Sail looked to the bow of the ship as he saw Siren watching Powder Keg and a few other sailors working on the damaged forecastle as he started trotting their way.

As Captain Sail reached the three steps leading to the forecastle he carefully trotted onto and across the damaged deck as he approached Siren who was watching Powder Keg repair a cannon plan. As he approached he spoke to the working stallion, “Can we save her Mr. Keg?”
Powder Keg looked back at Captain Sail as he nodded, “Aye capt’n. I hammered out the damage on the bore and there doesn’t seem to be any cracks in her. So all we have to do is repair the plan, and tie her back up. Sadly we can’t save her sunken sister.”
Captain Sail nodded, “Aye, we are one gun down and less for wear. But once we meet Mr. Drib in the Cove we can get the Tide fixed up and ready for Iron Hoof.”
Powder Keg nodded, “good… and while we are repairin’ the Tide, I can stock up on plenty of supplies. I’m workin’ on a new gun that will be sure to heat things up… pardonin’ my pun.”

Captain Sail replied with a concerned look, “Ya won’t go overboard like you did with that fire ship idea will ya? We all remember what happened there.”
Siren was curious, “Fire ship?”
Powder Keg shrugged his shoulders, “it’s a small boat that is used as a suicide explosive. Sadly I loaded this one up with too much black powder, I didn’t intend to blow the entire man o’ war to pieces.”
Captain Sail sighed, “And yet, ya did… then the shockwave caused the hull of the Tide to rupture. And if that wasn’t bad enough, there was nothing left of the navy vessel to claim as a prize. Not even usable timber.”
Powder Keg smiled, “don’t worry captain, this new weapon doesn’t use an explosion. This one is all fire… literally.”
Captain Sail gave him a stern look as he replied, “fire… on a ship… in the sea… do ya not see the conundrum with using such a weapon?”

Powder Keg thought to himself for a second then replied, “So… no fire then?”
Captain Sail nodded, “I like your enthusiasm, but I'd prefer to salvage a prize, not burn it to a crisp.”
Powder Keg nodded as he replied, “Aye capt’n, I have a few other ideas in this head o’ mine. So I'll see if I can cook up a new idea for Captain Hoof in the meantime.”
Captain Sail nodded as he replied, “You do that, but first thing is first, either get to the crow’s nest or get a gunner up there. We need gun repairs, but we still need to keep a lookout for the princess’s navy.”
Powder Keg nodded, “Aye captain, I'll get on it.”
with that Powder Keg started climbing up the ships Jacob’s Ladder as he passed the hanging sailors and spoke as he passed, “Hey, how ya doin’.”

As soon as Powder Keg was back in his post, Captain Sail and Siren started trotting back towards the upper deck as Captain Sail spoke, “You can wait with the helm lass, I’m goin’ below to check the rest of the damage. I know it’s hard for ya, but try to play nice till I get back… but not… too nice.”
With that, Captain Sail broke away from Siren as he trotted down the steps that lead him further into the Bloody Tide. As he disappeared from her sight, Siren started thinking to herself as she trotted up the steps to the upper deck while mumbling to herself, “Yea, yea… S’pose there is nothin’ better to do on Captain Sail’s ship… wait… Sail… Sail?…”
As she approached both Barge and Pinpoint who were manning the helm as she spoke, “Hey Mr. Paint or whatever… Captain Sail… how far is his pirate linage?”
Pinpoint replied with an annoyed tone, “The captain is the first of his generation to become a pirate, but he isn’t the first to sail the seas.”
Siren nodded, “so… does he have a brother or somethin’?”
Pinpoint replied with an uninterested tone, “None to speak of… Though I wouldn’t dwell too far into his private affairs if I were you. He told you and the rest of the crew all ya need to know earlier. Any further, then you’d be gettin’ into things that even I dare ask. Unless, you’d be willin’ to share a tale of your own in exchange?”

Annoyed that the subject seems to turn back on her quite often, she replied, “Fine… I only ask cuz I heard the name before. Or… at least I think I have.”
Pinpoint looked at the metal on her hooves and replied, “A fine fashion statement you’re makin’ with that clad... but… why make it?”
Deciding to give them something, she replied as she looked at her one of her hooves, “We all have our manner of loyalty. Don’t we Mr. Paint?”
Continuing to ignore the name she called him by, Pinpoint replied, “Aye… that we do.”
With tension building up between the two Captains Sail emerged from the lower decks as he called, “Bring in the foresails and release all rest! We need to relieve tension on the damage.”

Hearing the order, Pinpoint looked to his captain as the officer trotted onto the upper deck, “The foresail? Is the damage that bad?”
Captain Sail nodded, “aye, the foremast will need to be braced before we release the sails. Mr. Keg and his shot was much worse than we thought.”
Pinpoint smiled, “I warned you that hirin’ a weapon smith like him could have its risks. I always said, that colt’s been blown up one too many times to be right in the head.”
Captain Sail smiled, “a risk he may be, but for a crew as good as mine, he’s perfect. With him, none can challenge us. Not even a fool such as Iron hoof.”

As the two pirates chuckled at the comment, Siren didn’t seem as amused as she replied with a skeptic tone, “Aye… a pretty unique crew you have here captain. A trigger-happy gunner, A burly and strong helmscolt who… I’m still unsure if he is even a part of the crew, and a captain, who nary shows an expression in battle, not as much as a flinch when cannon or explosion take place around him.” She looks at Pinpoint as she smiled, “and what of his quartermaster?... what freakish skill do you hold?”
Pinpoint looked at Captain Sail as the captain raised his hoof in a manner as to say, go ahead. Then he looked back at Siren and replied, “I’m one of the most skilled sea artists and weather readers you’ll find on these seas.”
Expecting an answer like that made her look at Captain Sail as she nodded, “ah… a quartermaster, navigator and… what was that last one? Weather readers?... yea… I should have known, this crew of yours is closer to a circus act. And though you lot are amusing… you won’t last long against Captain Hoof or The Iron Wing.”

With no hesitation in her disrespectful tone, the mare turned to the steps leading to the main deck as Pinpoint asked, “Where are you off to?”
Siren replied, “I’m goin’ to take a caulk… wake me when we get there Mr. Weather Reader.”
Pinpoint was irritated as he started to speak, “What did you sa-”
Before he could finish, Captain Sail put his hoof on his shoulder as he spoke, “let her go Mr. Point. Perhaps after her nap she will be in better spirits. Her morale is bringin’ the crew down anyways.”
As the mare vanished into the lower deck, Pinpoint spoke, “I’m not sure what… but somethin’ set her off. She’ll be the death of us captain, mark my words. We should ditch her while we can.”
Captain Sail nodded, “Aye I agree… but regardless the lass knows where to find our prize, so we’ll be toleratin’ her till we get what we need.” He looked up at the battered, bruised, and now bleeding sailors hanging over the deck, as he thought to himself before continuing, “Mr. Point… you still have that contact in Pirate Cove? The Ship chronographer?”

Pinpoint nodded, “Aye, you’re referrin’ to Trip Ticket?”
Captain Sail nodded, “Aye, Mr. Ticket… when we arrive in Pirate Cove I want you to speak with him on a matter, while I entertain the lass.”
Pinpoint was curious, “What matter is that captain?”
Captain Sail replied as he looked over the main deck, “I want to know about her ship the Lullaby? She says she is a captain, but nothin’ about her says that to be true. So, I need to know what happened to her ship. Before it comes back to bite us.”
Below deck Siren took a deep breath to calm herself as she mumbled quietly, “I know I shouldn’t get mad… but hearin’ that from him irritates me. Even if he isn’t talkin’ about my Iron Hoof… I better tread carefully. I can’t give myself away until after I get the chance to kill him. Otherwise, I'll have to kill ‘em both.”