• Published 21st Sep 2017
  • 943 Views, 14 Comments

Under Crimson Sails - Priceless911



Captain Crimson Sail is a noble who chose a life of piracy to hunt down anouther priate for the muder of his father. After 20 years of searching all clues points to a deceptive mare that may hold the key to finding and killing Captain Iron Hoof.

  • ...
2
 14
 943

Ch4 Returning Home?

The Bloody Tide rocked back and forth as it made its way through the thick and eerie fog. With dusk rolling in, Pinpoint could only sigh in disappointment as Captain Sail exited his cabin, trotted up the steps onto the upper deck and spoke, “How are we fairin’ Mr. Point?”
Pinpoint shook his head, “Not so good captain… if my navigatin’ is correct, and it usually is, we should be able to see the Horseshoe Bay light house by now… but… with the sight of this fog. We can barely see the tip of the bow, let alone the coast.”
Captain Sail looked as far off into the distance as he could and replied, “I see what you mean, there ain’t a single sign of the coast anywhere.” He looked towards the crow’s nest, “is Mr. Keg up in his post?... I can’t see it clearly.”

Pinpoint nodded, “aye, he is tryin’ to get a view above the fog, but it’s no use. The fog seems to consume everythin’ in sight.”
Captain Sail called to the crow’s nest, “Mr. Keg!”
Powder Keg looked down onto the deck, “Aye Capt’n?”
“Can you see anythin’ from there?”
Powder Keg shook his head, “Not unless you count our colors. There ain’t a single light or sign of anythin’ out here, on the count of the fog!”
Captain Sail nodded, “Aye, well just keep tryin’. Let us know if you see a hint of land.”
“Aye Capt’n!”
Captain Sail looked over the hazy deck of his ship, “And that goes for the rest of you! Keep your eyes peeled and your senses sharpened. I would like to see land soon, but I don’t want us to run ashore by accident.”

Doing as they were told, the crew of the bloody tide watched over the railing closely as they each tried their hardest to see any signs of reefs or sandbars. As they watched one of the sailors tried to find a better place to watch from so he began trotting down the cannon line until something unexpectedly stopped his hoof as the unknown object nearly tripped him. Looking down at the unknown obstacle, the sailor saw something that seemed strange. It was a wire that ran from the back of one of the cannons and to the foremast. Confused the sailor taped the wire with his hoof but as he did, the wire seemed to spring to life as it wrapped around his hoof and slammed him against the mast before pulling him into the air and hanging him almost ten feet from the deck he was just standing on. Hearing the Sailor’s scream in surprise all eyes on the Bloody Tide looked at the now suspended sailor as Captain Sail started to speak, “what in blue blazes?”

Before anything could be done a second sailor was picked up from the deck just like the first as this sailor was pulled into the air and suspended over the deck like the first. Confused the crew of pirates looked around as Pinpoint called over the ship, “What’s going on!”
“CAPT’N!!!”
With the call echoing out over the ship, all went silent as everypony aboard looked up to see what Powder Keg was looking at as she stood on the highest yardarm just below the crow’s nest. Looking down from high above the deck, stood a dark grey mare wearing a black cloak and staring down at the crew like an angle of darkness who has come to seek judgement. With the dark and unamused expression on the mare’s face, Captain Sail mumbled to himself, “A Cutter...”
Without waiting for orders, Powder Keg called, “I got em’ Capt’n!”

With that Powder Keg pointed his musket down at the top of the mare’s head as he pulled the hammer back and took a split second to aim. However just before he pulled the trigger, a large needle flew out of nowhere as the dagger like projectile hit the front stock of the musket just as he pressed the firing lever. As the front of the musket exploded in a puff of smoke, the needle knocked the barrel slightly off its target as the bullet flew passed the cloaked mare before digging into the deck of the ship far below. Without the slightest flinch from the musket shooting, the mare stood calmly as she flung her hoof up as a barely visible wire uncoiled from her hoof as it flew passed the railing of the crow’s nest and wrapped around Powder Keg’s neck. Then before he could react, the mare flung her hoof back down as the wire tightened and pulled the unsuspecting stallion over the railing as he and his musket fell from the very top of the mast and crashed down onto supply creates as the shattering wood cushioned his fall, but not enough to prevent the impact from stunning him beyond the point of moving.

As Captain Sail’s crew became nervous, a sailor near where Powder Keg came crashing down, spotted his musket and quickly ran for it, as he picked up the weapon and tried to reload it. Watching the sailors’ attempt the mare pulled a hidden dagger from under her cloak as she watched and waited for the precise time to react. Finally as the sailor finished loading the musket, he raised it up and aimed at the cloaked mare, but before he was able to fire, the cloaked earth pony stepped off the yardarm and began falling from her suspended pedestal. As she fell, the mare raised up the dagger as an unseen wire that was wrapped around the armed sailor’s hind hoof tightened before picking up unsuspecting sailor as he was hoisted into the air at the same rate as she was falling. Without expecting it, the armed pony dropped the musket as he flew into the air screaming in fear as the clever mare used him as a counterweight to slow her fall.

Less than a split second later, the cloaked mare landed safely on the main deck and she took the dagger in her hoof and buried the blade into the deck as the third suspended pony stopped flying upward and found himself hanging with the other two sailors from before. With the wire now anchored to the main deck, the cloaked mare slowly stood up straight as she looked just slightly to the side where Powder Keg was laying on a number of smashed creates. Still too stunned to get up, the earth pony looked at the dark mare as her eyes paned over and locked onto Captain Sail who watched from the upper deck of the Bloody Tide. Taking the opportunity the crew all drew their swords as one called, “GET HER!!!”
With no worry in her expression, the cloaked mare stood still as the armed pirates quickly closed in, but before they could get within striking distance, Captain Sail called over his crew, “Hold your blades you senseless bilge rats!!!”

The charging pirates stopped and looked towards their captain as he continued yelling at them, “In what lifetime did any of ye call yourself captain enough to out rank me!!! If I wanted you to attack I'd give the order myself!!! Now put away your weapons now, or no help me… I'LL TIE THE LOT OF YA TO A CANNON AND BLAST YA ALL TO KINGDOM COME!!!”
Fearful of the captain’s threat, the crew sheathed their swords and stepped back from the cloaked mare as Captain Sail trotted down the steps onto the main deck and spoke, “A thousand pardons Miss Melody, my crew may be a bit… uncouth, but for a scurvy crew of pirates, ya can’t be blamin’ em’ too harshly. It’s not often we receive a visit from a noble mare.”
The cloaked mare replied with an unamused expression, “Mr. Sail… when the boss mentioned you became a pirate, I’ll admit, I was shocked… but to see you now… it’s still a little hard to believe.

Captain Sail stopped just as he reached an open area between his crew and the mare as he replied, “Aye… a lot has changed over the two decades I’ve been gone. But please don’t see me disrespectful… but I'd be callin’ ya a liar if ya claimed that you were the one here to see me.”
With that, Captain Sail turned around and called into the air as he continued, “I know you’re here lass! Ya don’t have to be shy, you were always welcomed aboard the Tide, so it be kind of ya to let yourself be known!”
The crew stared at their captain with confused expressions as Captain Sail felt a presence as he looked to the shadows under the stairs he just trotted down as he smiled sinisterly, “Hello Miss Reaper…”

At first most of his crew though he had lost his mind, but then as they all looked into the narrow shadow that sat under the stairs, they could see a crescent shaped glare as it slowly exited the shadow to reveal itself as a large scythe. As soon as the scythe had completely emerged from the shadows, the dark cloaked mare wielding the large weapon slowly emerged with it as she stepped completely out before glaring across the deck at Captain Sail with eyes that could kill. As the mare glared daggers at her old acquaintance, the entire crew could feel the murderous tension between the two as they all felt fearful for their own lives. With silence adding to the tension, the mare put down her cloak’s hood revealing the face of the furious Jasmin Mist. Seeing that she was who he thought, Captain Sail spoke as he removed his hat and bowed politely, “Lady Jasmin Mist… it’s been a while lass. How have ya be-”

Before he could finish, Jasmin interrupted with a furious but calm tone, “don’t talk to me as if you did nothing wrong. You’re not welcome here in Equestria anymore… Lord Sail.”
Slightly nervous, Pinpoint who was still standing on the top deck, looked at the crew’s expressions as they each started whispering amongst themselves in surprise to how their captain was addressed. Trying to prevent the rumors from changing shape amongst the herd, Pinpoint started trotting down the steps onto the main deck as he spoke, “Lady Mist… to what do we owe this visit aboard the Bloody Tide?”
Jasmin looked over at Pinpoint and replies in anger, “Don’t think you’re any further off the hook as your captain Mr. Point. You’re the reason this whole mess began in the first place.” She looked back at her ex, “Though it is slightly outdated, the crime for piracy is still the same as treason, Death. So tell me, for what reason should I have to not carry both your sentences out here and now? And try to be convincing… I’m still annoyed from our last… engagement?”

Captain Sail felt a little nervous but he didn’t show it as he replied while putting his hat back on, “Now Jasmi-“
“Its Mrs. Mist to you… or in your case just lass is fine. You lost the right to address me by name, when you left me at alter.”
Now the crew, who were whispering about the title Lord Sail, where too shocked to whisper as Captain Sail replied, “Very well, Mrs. Mist… We both know that if ya truly wanted me dead that I would be lying here in a pool of my own blood as we speak. So… one would guess that for some reason, ya saw it in your heart to forgive me enough to grant mercy upon this humble pirate.”
Unamused by his answer, Jasmin replied, “no… I just wanted to see you suffer before you die… just as I have.”
Captain Sail replied, “Now it hardly seem that you’re sufferin’ at all lass. Ya say you’re now a misses? Married and I would assume a mother by now aye?”

Jasmin didn’t answer, instead she stayed on subject, “Why have you returned to Equestria?... It’s been over twenty years, so why now did you choose to come back?”
Captain Sail smiled, “for you…”
Seeing through him Jasmin replied with a serious tone, “Bull… that’s strike two captain… answer correctly or your next answer will be your last.”
Seeing that she wasn’t looking to play any games, Captain Sail shrugged his shoulders, “Ya can’t blame me for tryin’ to appeal to your better nature lass, but if ya must know… I found me a lead that led me back here.”
Jasmin became curious, “A lead… to what?

Captain Sail replied, “To my reason for leavin’. To find the Iron Wing, and its captain, Iron Hoof.”
Hearing this Jasmin smiled hopelessly as she shook her head while Captain Sail tried to continued, “If I find the pony here who was on his ship, then ma-”
She interrupted as she spoke in a convincing tone, “There is no lead captain, because there is no Iron Wing. I don’t understand it… Twenty years you’ve been gone searching for a captain who doesn’t exist, and yet you still haven’t realized that he isn’t even real.”
Confused, Pinpoint asked, “wait… you knew why he left?”
Jasmin replied, “Of course I did… You vanish on the night of our betrothal and steal a ship from princess Celestia? Anypony with even the slightest concern for you would look into it. Your butler, your mother, even the witnesses at the docks all said the same thing. That you were going to hunt for Captain Iron Hoof… A ghost of all things, that doesn’t even exist anymore.”

Pinpoint became curious, “Doesn’t exist anymore?... What are you gettin’ at?”
Jasmin looked at her subornment who was standing silently the whole time as she spoke, “Aria, you were the mare I put in charge of the investigation… What was it you discovered again?”
Aria replied, “Captain Iron hoof was a pirate who terrorized the seas over three hundred years ago. From the reports we uncovered, he sank over two hundred ships total. Anything from navy Men-o-wars, to small fishing caravels. A commodore appointed by the king of Prance was hired to assemble a fleet of ships to hunt down and sink Iron Hoof. But after tracking the pirate down, the fleet was able to corner and chased him into a hurricane off the coast of the Griffin Kingdoms. However, wreckage from all ships was discovered later, with no survivors from either Iron hoof, or the commodore who hunted him down. Now, due to his fame, Iron hoof is only mentioned when a ship goes missing, or to explain one of those ghost ships that occasionally appear without any crew on board. In conclusion, he is nothing more than an epigram to describe simple things such as those.”

Jasmin added as she looked back at her ex, “You see… Captain Iron hoof may have existed all those years ago… but not anymore.”
Captain Sail nodded as he replied, “Well… a humble pirate like meself doesn’t know what epigram means… But I'll be sure to tell him that when I find him.”
Jasmin was surprised, “your still going to look for him?”
Captain Sail replied with a serious tone, “If he be good and dead as ya say… then he will be with his ship. So I will find that, then, I will look him in whatever eyes he has left before I ever claim him to be good and gone. I don’t care if I have to travel to the ends of the earth, or to the deepest depths. I will find him whether he be dead or alive. Though he will be dead when I leave him.”
Jasmin taped her scythe on the ground, “and if I try to stop you?”
Captain Sail smiled, “I’m sure ya could, if ya tried… I may be skilled, but even I couldn’t stand up to the Grim Reaper herself but even if ya did, I'll happily go down fightin’. Him… or you.”

Seeing the determined look on his face made Jasmin sigh as she replied, “You haven’t changed a bit, have you?... Just as stubborn and pigheaded as you were back then… but, I always admired that about you. You were never afraid to tell somepony they were wrong. Even if they were right. Fine… if you want to chase ghost stories, then be my guest. But while in Equestria you better not start any trouble. If I hear so much as one whisper of Captain Sail or his crew terrorizing so much as a fly?... I'll come back here and hang you all from your own sail.”
Pinpoint replied with surprise, “Wait… you mean your actually letting us pass?”
Jasmin replied, “Yea… I will overlook it for now. I really want to see your captain suffer for what he did to me… but as the leader of the Cutters it’s my duty to maintain peace in Equestria without restriction from the crown… not to harm ponies due to action of the past or personal spites towards them.”
As the mare started to turn away, Captain Sail smiled, “I thank ya kindly lass, your mercy was one of your best qua-”
“Don’t think you’re off the hook… One mishap and I will kill you. That much I promise.”

Captain Sail asked, “And what would Mr. Mist say about such things? Would he assume it to be the right choice?”
Jasmin turned back and smiled, “My husband and foals wouldn’t mind it one bit. The benefits to marrying a Royal Guard Commander.”
Jasmin looked away as she began trotting into the shadows as Captain Sail nodded and replied with a tone that seemed apologetic, “A commander… I s’pose you found your adventurous husband after all… Aye Lady Mist?”
Jasmin didn’t acknowledge the comment, instead she just put her hood back up and replied, “Remember captain… one problem, then you and your crew will be sunk, both figuratively and literally.”
With that said, the skillful mare trotted into the shadows and vanished without a trace as he mumbled to himself, “To be honest… I wouldn’t blame you if ya did it now.”

Remembering the other member of the Cutters still present, Captain Sail turned to her as he started to speak, “Well then I s’po-”
As Captain Sail turned to the other mare, he quickly found that she too had vanished without anypony seeing her. Confused, Captain Sail mumbled, “neat trick… maybe I could learn it someday.”
As soon as the two guests slash intruders were gone, the crew became silent as most of them had questions for their captain. However the only one with enough courage to ask was just now regaining his strength as he picked himself up from the chattered cargo, picked up his musket and slowly made his way across the deck, “Capt’n?... what that mare said?... is it tr-”
Before Powder Keg could finish his question, a bright light immediately turned on as it towered above the ship lightning up everything it could through the thick fog.

As soon as the light was seen, Captain Sail took the opportunity to change the subject as he called, “The Light house!” He pointed to the still hanging sailors, then trotted back to the helm, “Get them down and make the tide ready for port! Work smartly lads, know that the reaper herself granted us mercy. I wouldn’t want to waste something that is almost never seen!”
Doing as their captain asked, all ponies on board disregarded all their questions and worked quickly to secure the sails and to bring the Bloody Tide into port. Meanwhile atop the lighthouse that just turned its light back on, Jasmin and her subornment stood watching as the pirate ship slowly got closer to land. As it did Aria asked, “Boss, is it really a good idea to let them live?... They are pirates after all.”
Jasmin replied, “They are… but for once I'll let him be the heartless ones in this scenario.”
“Then… why didn’t you tell him?... about his mother?”
Jasmin replied as she turned away, “If he truly cares, he will find out on his own. Besides, we’ve got our own motherly drama to worry about… which remains me? When will Octavia begin her training?”

Aria replied with an uneasy tone, “she already has, she’s only four but she asked me to start training her early. And what about Sylvia? Have you seen her lately?”
Jasmin nodded, “yea… she is talking about the royal guards now, but she’s still too young to do anything. Either way it’s out of my hooves. Her father is in charge of raising her now as for me… all I can do is watch and wait. Anyways… keep an eye on Crimson Sail. If his lead truly has something, then it’s possible that what we uncovered could be false. And if that is so… then this Iron Hoof could be an actual threat to the kingdom.”

A few minutes later, Just as the gangplank was laid to connect the Bloody Tide with the pier, Captain Sail, Pinpoint and Powder Keg stepped off the ship as a dock worker came out to meet them, “Ahoy! You’re the captain I presume?”
Captain Sail nodded, “Aye… that’d be me.”
The dock worker smiled, “Good, then I won’t waste ya time. The fee to dock is a thousand bits a day, or five thousand for a week. We will also need your information such as the ship’s name, its captain, how many are aboard, and your reason for sailin’, I.E. The company you sail for.”
Captain Sail smiled, “How bout this… I'll give ya two thousand for the day… and you can call me Smith. And make up the rest.”

Seeing this as an obvious bribe, the dock worker replied with a smile, “How about twenty-five hundred, and I can welcome you and your crew of… fishing colts to port… aye?”
Captain Sail smiled at the cleverness of the dock worker as he replied, “we have an accord. Quartermaster… pay the colt.”
Pinpoint nodded, “Aye captain.”
With that, Captain Sail stood by and looked around the dock as Pinpoint counted out the bits. As soon as it was paid, Captain Sail asked, while still looking around. Where about can I go to acquire some spirits? Is the old Horseshoe pub still standin’?”

The dock worker looked at his bag of bits as he replied, “Aye it is captain, despite the desolation of the rest of the town.”
Captain Sail replied, “I think I'll stop in there for a spell.” He looked at his two officers, “You two can join me if ya like, I doubt we will our mare any time soon, so for now anyway, I think I fancy a drink.”
Both Powder Keg and Pinpoint nodded as Pinpoint replied, “I’ll take that offer, besides. I'd rather keep a low head for a while. Less Miss Mist would remove it.”
With that the three started towards the pub as Powder Keg asked, “Speakin’-a-which capt’n… that mare with the scythe… who was she?”

Captain Sail nodded, “They call her the Reaper. Leader to the Cutters and by far the most feared mare in the kingdom… or at least to those who know of her.”
Powder Keg nodded, “I never heard of such a mare… but I'd believe it. It’s those eyes. They held the look a devil in them… and it was almost as if you could see all the souls she claimed in them. It was… like something from an old sea tale.”
Captain Sail nodded, “aye… she and if she truly tried, she could kill the entire crew without so much as a single one of us knowin’ of the danger we are in.”
Powder Keg asked, “Did… you really leave her before your wedding?”

Captain Sail wanted to change the subject so he replied “aye, but this is better a topic to discuss over a drink. Let’s wait till we are there first. Best not to speak of this in public.”
Pinpoint smiled at the irony, “Yea… it’s better to talk about this at a pub filled with lowlifes and criminals then to talk about this on an open and practically empty street.”
Captain Sail laughed as he replied, “Aye! At least there they can’t judge!”
Pinpoint could only nod in agreement, but as he looked around he started to mumble, “Captain… are we on the right street?”
Captain Sail looked at the nearest sign, “Acordin to that, we are… but…”
Captain Sail looked around as Pinpoint finished his statement, “This is usually the busiest street in town… but… most of the local businesses’ are closed.”
Captain Sail looked around, “Aye… it seems like a lot has changed since we left. I wonder if we can find out what’s happening at the pub.”

Pinpoint nodded as the three sailors continued on their path to the pub. Minutes later the three arrived at the establishment as they entered to see a number of sailor all enjoying a drink at the end of the day. As they went in, Captain Sail and his crewmates trotted to the bar as the bartender asked, “What’ll it be gents? A pint for each of ya?”
Captain Sail nodded as he removed his tricorn hat and sat it on the bar, “aye, rum for me and me mates.”
Seeing that Captain Sail was the better dressed of the three pointed out his title as the bartender replied, “Right away Captain.”

As the bartender was preparing the drinks, a larger burly looking sailor approached the bar next to Captain Sail as he called to the bartender, “Hey Jasper, how’s business?”
The bartender smiled as he replied, “Steady as she is Barge, how is the transit company treatin’ ya?”
The sailor sighed, “Slow… but it pays the bills. Could I get a pint from ya?”
The bartender nodded, “sure, just as soon as I finish serving these fine gents here.”
Realizing he was holding them up, the sailor looked at the three pirates as he spoke, “Oh sorry gents, I didn’t mean t-... Wait…”

With that the large pony took a good look at Captain Sail as he spoke, “Captain?”
Captain Sail smiled, “Mr. Barge… it’s good to see ya.”
The sailor smiled, “Captain, it is you! And Mr. Point… it’s been a while hasn’t it?”
Mr. Point smiled, “Mr. Barge, long time no see.”
Barge smiled, “Aye… about twelve years it has. And who’s this, another of your crew?”
Powder Keg smiled as he nodded in a greeting way, “Powder Keg, nice to meet ya. I’m the Master Gunner on the Bloody Tide.”
Barge nodded, “Aye, nice to meet you too. The name’s Johnathan Barge, I was a helmscolt on the tide for about seven years. It’s good to know she is still afloat.”

Captain Sail smiled, “aye that she is. It will take a true titan of the sea to bring that girl down.”
Powder Keg asked, “So you sailed with Captain Sail for seven years… what made you leave?”
Barge felt uneasy as he replied, “Well… I’m not sure if it’s my place to say.”
Pinpoint shook his head, “since you are no longer aboard the Tide, you don’t have to worry about what you say.”
Captain Sail nodded, “True, As long as it isn’t a threat, you can say whatever’s on your mind.”
Barge replied, “Well… in that case. The reason I left was… I just lost interest.”
Powder Keg was curious, “did ya now? In what may I ask?”

Barge sighed as he replied, “The reason I sailed under Captain Sail was because my father and brother were aboard the Annabelle when she went down. Since it was Iron hoof who sank her, I left to take my revenge on him for that loss. But we sailed for seven years without so much as a hint of where Iron hoof was, so… I decided to let it go, and return home.”
Pinpoint nodded, “As have most of the old crew. But as the captain has always said, your right to leave is always there. All you have to do is tell us when you do.”
Captain Sail nodded, “And that’s why I never stopped any of ya. So how was the return? Did the royal guard give ya any fuss?”

Barge shook his head, “Strangely, they didn’t. They did ask me bout where you were but I told em’ that I was gone was cuz I eloped with a mare and didn’t want to face my family about marryin’ a griffin. Since there was no proof to disprove my story, they had no right to arrest me.”
Captain Sail laughed out loud as all four ponies drinks were placed on the bar. Picking up his mug, Captain Sail replied, “Good thing ya weren’t married to begin with, otherwise that excuse would have taken ya out of one problem and back into another.”
Laughing with his old boss, the large sailor replied, “Aye… that’d be an awkward reunion wouldn’t it?”
The group laughed at the idea as Captain Sail toned his laughter down and asked, “So ya say you were in the transit business eh? Did you go back to workin’ for mother?”

The smiling expression on Barge’s face faded as he replied, “what?... ya mean, ya don’t know?”
Captain Sail felt a little concerned as he replied, “don’t know what lad?”
Barge sighed as he replied, “Captain… Lady Sail died.”
Captain Sail was surprised, “what?... when?”
“Nineteen years ago…”
Pinpoint replied in shock, “you mean, Lady Sail only lived a year after her husband passed?”
Barge shook his head, “actually sir… she passed later the same year.”
Captain Sail replied, “But… how?”

Barge shook his head, “I only heard what the other’s told me, but they claimed she fell into a deep depression after you left Equestria. Locked herself away and refused to speak to anypony. Makin it difficult when royal guards tried to question her about Celestia’s stolen ship. Slowly her health started getting’ bad till finally, her heart just… stopped.”
Pinpoint looked at Captain Sail with worry, “Captain?... a heart attack? You don’t think that the cutters would?...”
Captain Sail shook his head, “doubtful… that may be the Cutters MO. but they wouldn’t hurt somepony who wasn’t threatenin’ the kingdom. No matter how scornful the reaper was about that pony’s son. I think that in this case, there wasn’t any foul play. Mother may have had a strong will in the eyes of the town, but inside she was still a mare. It’s… just a shame I wasn’t here when it happened.”

Barge nodded his head as he continued, “After she passed, Lady Sail left the company to you and your bride to be… but without you here, the company went to Lady Mist. Although it wasn’t much of a company by then.”
Captain Sail asked, “What do you mean?”
“When you stole that ship from the royal navy… it had serious repercussions on the company’s name. Long term clients stopped doing business with em’, ship builders quit their jobs, even rival businesses’ started publicizin’ the incident to lure our customers away. Before they knew it, they had to shut down the dry docks and turn to only transportin’ passengers and cargo. With the company downsized so much the largest and most allurin’ thing about horseshoe bay was now gone. Soon ponies started moving out of the town, businesses started shuttin’ their doors, and the town started to shrink. I'd hate to think it… but we killed Horseshoe Bay.”
Captain Sail sighed as he rubbed his head in irritation, “sure seems that way.”
Pinpoint sighed, “it is bad… but… it’s too late to feel regret. We all made our decisions that day, and no matter how hasty it was, we did what we felt was right.”

Barge shook his head, “Don’t think I’m trying to stop you or anythin’ I’m just saying what happened. Remember I left too, and I didn’t regret it one bit. I still don’t.”
Powder Keg held up his glass, “aye, we all make mistakes. Look at me, wanted in the griffin kingdom for selling weapons to the king’s own guards. I can’t tell if that’s karma or just dumb luck.”
Barge laughed as he too held up his mug, “Any action that hasn’t yet led ya to the gallows is better than the alternative. Aye captain?”
Captain Sail nodded as he held his mug up, “Aye… just makes me want to get Iron Hoof all the more. If anypony’s to blame, it’s him.”

The three sailors taped their mugs together as Pinpoint ignored their toast and replied, “Speaking of which… Barge have you seen a mare come through? She should have arrived yesterday from Pirates Cove. Fawn coat, light blue mane, and very beautiful as she was described, she also was said to have metal horseshoes nailed to the bottom of her hooves.”
Barge thought to himself as he replied, “actually… I think I do. Why? She an acquaintance of you, or a target?”
Captain Sail replied, “Try a lead… rumor has it… she was aboard the Iron Wing as a prisoner and lived to tell the tale.”
Barge smiled as he replied, “did she now?... well… you didn’t hear it from me… but there are rumors of secret games of chance players who gamble at the old dry docks every other night. And part of the rumors say that there was a mare fittin’ that description there just last night trying to recruit a crew to go on a quote… dangerous journey.”

Captain Sail nodded as he replied, “And you’re sure that was her?”
Barge smiled, “come now captain… you know that I’m a regular when it comes to both mares and dice games.”
Pinpoint chuckled a bit, “aye… and we all know how badly you played both when you were aboard the Tide.”
Pinpoint and Powder Keg laughed at the joke though Barge looked unamused at the comment, as Captain Sail replied, “if she was there yesterday, what makes ya think she’ll be there tomorrow?”
Barge looked at the captain and replied, “She said so herself. She didn’t recruit enough sailors to commandeer her own ship yet so she needs more. Although, for a mare like her it’ll be simple, since she’s as gorgeous as a sparklin’ sapphire. Heck even I thought about joinin’ her crew myself.”
Pinpoint asked, “What’s stoppin’ ya?”
Barge smiled, “If I had any interest in joinin’ back up with pirates I’d join up with you lot again. A pirate may leave a dishonest life, but he still wants to be with a crew he trusts.”
Powder Keg nodded as he held up his mug, “Hear Hear!”

As the small group of pirates started talking about days long passed, a sailor sitting at the end of the bar continued watching them without bringing attention to himself. Shortly after, he finished off his drink, paid his tab and trotted passed the group without raising any suspicion amongst the party. After trotting outside the sailor wasted no time as he trotted up the road as fast as he could without making him seem like he was in a hurry. Eventually he turned into an alley and saw a royal guard standing on the other side of the path as the guards stood patrolling the road. As the sailor approached the guard, the guard continued looking away from the sailor as he spoke with an unamused tone, “I told you that my shift started at seven… if you won’t be here on time, then why should I even do business with you?”

The sailor replied quietly, “Cuz as far as informants go, I’m the only one that hasn’t been found out in this town.”
The royal guard replied with some anger in his tone, “Then I’m sure you can show up on time to give me info as needed… or should I just bust you now for the piracy that I decided to wave by a few weeks ago? Unless you can give me a reason not to?”
The informant smiled, “Cuz I learned somethin’ that can fix your reputation and finally get ya off of these streets.”
The guard became interested as he replied, “well?… out with it.”
the sailor replied with an egotistical tone, “what if I told ya that the very reason you were stuck as a dead beat street guard was back in town… and that if you looked in the harbor, you would see the same vessel you were guarding all those years ago that came up missing and ruined your career?”

The guard turned completely to the informant as he replied with surprise, “Crimson sail… he’s here?”
Seeing he had the guard’s full attention the sailor smiled, “Aye… and he goes by, Captain now…”
The guard asked, “where?... and for how long?”
The informant replied, “he’s in the Horseshoe Pub right now… but he will be gamblin’ at the dry docks tomorrow evenin’. Now I know the guards have always known about those illegal games, but overlooked them for this very reason. S’pose its time the guards finally spring their pirate trap… aye?”
The guards nodded, “yea… and info like this will repair my reputation, and bring me up the ranks fast.”
The sailor smiled, “and as you climb up those ranks… can I expect a letter of recommendation to the royal navy?”
The guard sighed in irritation, “fine… the payment seems fair. Now get out of here before somepony sees you, I got a raid to prepare and a navy to inform. Tomorrow night, Captain Sail’s goes down once and for all.”