• Published 21st Sep 2017
  • 943 Views, 14 Comments

Under Crimson Sails - Priceless911



Captain Crimson Sail is a noble who chose a life of piracy to hunt down anouther priate for the muder of his father. After 20 years of searching all clues points to a deceptive mare that may hold the key to finding and killing Captain Iron Hoof.

  • ...
2
 14
 943

Ch3 Pirate Cove

As the sun vanished over the horizon, the deck of the Bloody tide started to get dark as a few sailors lit the lanterns hanging from all three masts. As this happened, an extra lantern on the quarter deck was lit as Pinpoint put out the match he used to light it and continued reading a book. As he read, Captain Sail looked over at him and asked, “What’cha reading Mr. Point?”
Pinpoint replied, “Just a book that my niece recently published. It’s her first book and from what I hear it’s pretty famous in Equestria.”
Captain Sail nodded, “that wouldn’t be that little sprout that went with us three years ago. You know, the one who stumbled into that tomb while we were stuck on the frozen sea?”
Pinpoint nodded, “aye, that’s the one.”

Captain Sail sighed in disappointment, “So, she became a writer did she… pity, that lass would have made a great sailor.”
Pinpoint shrugged his shoulders, “She’s doing something she likes, so I can only be happy for her.”
Captain Sail replied, “sure… but that lass was more adventurous then most of this crew. I remember she would always be gallivanting in the crow’s nest every time we sailed through a hurricane. She refused to use her wings when climbing on the sails, not to mention how she would refused to go below when we were in a sea battle against pirate hunters.”
Pinpoint remembered all the dangerous things as he sighed sarcastically, “Aye, can’t imagine why my sister wouldn’t let her come aboard after that fit of danger.”

Captain Sail shook his head, “nah the lass put herself into danger. We only… encouraged it, but now she’s a writer… no danger there, sad to say.”
Pinpoint nodded, “well… at least she chose a good story for her first.”
That said, Pinpoint handed the book to Captain Sail as he looked at the cover, “Daring Do and the Pirates of the Frozen Sea… charmin’ image for the cover… don’t know the artist but he managed to get me good side.”
Pinpoint smiled, “Well, I can definitely see the inspiration for this one, but did sh-“
“A.K. Yearling? Who’s that s’posed to be?”
Pinpoint replied, “It’s a pen name, probably to keep her from being swamped by fans.”
“Hmm… still a shame th-“

Powder Keg trotted onto the top deck as he interrupted, “Capt’n… we’ve arrived.”
With that said, Powder Keg pointed across the bow into the darkness as a large wall of fog started approaching them from the front. As the two officers looked into the fog, they disregarded their conversation as Captain Sail spoke to Powder Keg, “Good lad, now go strike the colors. Then be ready to send up a signal.”
Powder Keg nodded, “Aye aye capt’n.”
Knowing his orders, Powder Keg trotted to the Jacob’s ladder as Pinpoint placed the book on a table and called across the deck, “Bring in the sails!”
The crew on the deck stopped what they were doing as they all quickly rushed to tie up the sails as Captain Sail spoke to the helmscolt, “steady as she goes lad. We need to be still when the flare is lit.”
The helms colt nodded, “aye Captain.”

By the time the sails were all tied, the crimson Jolly Roger was already waving as Powder Keg leaned his musket against the railing of the crow’s nest, took what looked to be a bottle rocket and placed the stick of said rocket into the barrel. Then aiming it up and to the bow of the ship, Pin point took the flint from his musket and used it to light the fuse as the small rocket shot up into the air and exploded in a bright blinding light that lit up the Bloody Tide from above. After the ship was lit up from the flare, a short silence had passed before two ships that were hidden in the dark and fogy horizon fired up one flare each as the flares lit their ships up with enough light for Powder Keg to make out their flying colors, “Capt’n! Looks like The Sanctuary, and The Keep got the signal.”
Captain Sail nodded, “Good! Then lets make way!” he looked over his crew, “Unlace the main sail. Keep her steady gents!” he looked at his helmscolt, “follow those ships but keep her steady, you know how jumpy these gate keepers are.”

The helms colt turned towards the two allied pirate ships as he replied, “Aye Captain, steady as she goes.”
Slowly, the Bloody Tide turned towards the two signaling ships as the two ships turned away and began leading them further into the fog. After a few minutes of following, the two escort ships that were sailing side by side turned away from one another as Captain Sail spoke, “there, where the ships parted, sail into that.”
The helms colt nodded, “aye sir.”
As the large freight sailed passed both pirate ships, Captain Sail and everypony aboard the Bloody Tide could see both gate ships readying their cannon as Captain Sail called, “No need to worry lads. We all know that they won’t shoot unless we fire first.”

Ignoring the ships’ actions, The Bloody Tide and its crew continued passed as the deep thick fog soon revealed two large cliffs with a narrow strait between them. As the ship approached the strait, Captain Sail called, “Bring in the main sail but open the fore. We will continue slowly less the wind tunnel decided any different.”
The crew quickly rushed to bring in the main sail on the center mast but untie the sails on the front mast so that the wind could still push them but slower than before. As the ship slowly made its way through the strait, the crew could see that every hundred feet or so was a gun port with primed and ready cannons pointing at them. Knowing that these were also precautions by the stationed pirates, Captain Sail and his crew continued ignoring them as the Bloody Tide continued through the strait until finally reaching the other end.

As the ship slowly sailed beyond the mouth of the strait, the fog slowly started to lift as the area ahead became completely clear. Although it was night, it was still easy to see that what was ahead was a large cluster of jagged rocks sticking out of the center of a massive cove filled with damaged and destroyed ships that resembled a sort of ship graveyard. However a closer observation of the area revealed that the ships were wrecks, but they were now connected by walkways, bridges, docks and even ladders that turned what was at first sight a ship graveyard into a large town built of hundreds of wrecked ships. And this town lied in the center of a massive wall off cliffs that made up both sides of the strait they passed through to enter this well guarded town.

As the ship got closer to the town, Captain Sail called out, “Welcome home you scabless dogs! Now get your plots in gear! Time to make port!”
Happy with the words, the crew cheered as they all quickly steered the ship towards the closest port and readied everything for them to dock. As soon as the ship docked, Captain Sail gathered the highest ranking ponies on his ship as he gave his orders, “Par the norm, any who wish to give up the life of piracy, are permitted and must inform you before going ashore… now with that out of the way, down to it, Mr. Point, Mr. Keg, you two will join me as we meet up with The Drib Twins. Once we get our information we can schedule a time to sell our loot. By then we will decide on a proper cast off time depending on the information we receive. As for the Tide, set a detail to restock and guard the ship till tomorrow. Try to set it so that everypony gets a chance to relax a little. Aye?”

Each official nodded their heads in agreement as they replied one at a time, “Aye Captain.”
With that, Captain Sail looked over his crew from the top deck as he called, “Lads! Go out and make merry! Enjoy this time but be back by noon in the mornin’, it could be a short stay, so I'll leave you to enjoy at least the night.”
The crew didn’t so much as reply, but most of them nodded their heads as they gathered for a personal meeting to decide on the tasking for the guard, and restocking details. As they did this, Captain Sail, Pinpoint, and Powder Keg gathered a few of their belongings as they left the ship and went further into the town of wrecked ships. As they continued through the pirate haven, they started to hear a loud commotion coming from a nearby saloon as they heard a call, “ANOUTHER ROUND FOR THE AVIAN PIRATES!!!”

As soon as he heard this, Captain Sail stopped in his hooves as Pinpoint and Powder Keg stopped a few steps ahead of him as Pinpoint spoke, “Captain?...”
Without explanation Captain Sail smiled sinisterly as he slowly turned to look at the batswing doors to the rowdy bar. Seeing his expression, Pinpoint sighed, “uh oh… I know that look.”
With that Captain Sail turned towards the doors as Powder Keg spoke, “as much as I enjoy your lust for conflict captain… do we really have time for this, now?”
Captain Sail didn’t reply, however as he approached the doors to the bar, he placed his hoof against the door as looked at his crewmates, “Remember my number one rule lads?”
The two sailors looked at each other then back at their captain as they both sighed and replied at the same time in hopelessness, “Your fight be your fight.”
Captain Sail smiled, “Aye… and remember it.”

With that Captain Sail pushed opened the door as he and his crewmates stepped into the saloon and trotted only a few steps before the rowdy bar of pirates paused as all eyes locked on the three entering ponies. With the place becoming silent, a large parrot with green and grey feathers, wearing a pirate captains attire complete with vest, jacket, hat, and belt with two swords on it, turned to the three earth ponies as he smiled, “well well well… if it ain’t Captain Crimson Bartholomew Sail…”
Captain Sail looked back and smiled, “Captain Jacob Hawk It’s been a while… sadly, not long enough.”
Captain Hawk replied with sarcasm, “Now I would never assume you to be hard of hearin’… so perhaps you’re just crazy. I would hope that ya herd me the last time you were in here… about what I would do if I saw the likes of you again?”

Captain Sail smiled confidently as he replied, “ya didn’t have the brass to do it then, and you ain’t got it now… boyo…”
hearing their captain being talked down to, made all members of Captain Hawk’s crew look at their captain in curiosity as their captain replied with an angry look, “Ooooooh… ya don’t seem to measure the odds against ya laddie… ya see, there are three of you… and plenty more of us.”
Captain Sail smiled, “well… then I s’pose I'll just have to take you down first then… wont I?”
The confident parrot stepped out into the open and drew both his swords as he spoke, “ooooh, them some tough words Sail… care to match them with actions?”
Holding his hoof out, Captain Sail waited as Pinpoint drew his sword and gave it to his captain as Captain Hawk smiled, “so ya still don’t carry your own sword.”
Captain Sail nodded, “a good captain should trust his own crew to take care of any threats long before he needs get involved. Which means, that a good captain, doesn’t need a weapon with his crew by his side… however, he also wouldn’t need his crew, fightin’ his own battles… aye?”

Captain Hawk nodded at the words as he replied, “Well said… now quit your philosophizing and ready yourself captain. I’ve been waiting a fortnight to cut that look from your gob.”
Captain Sail smiled as he mocked the avian captain, “Tweet Tweet lad…”
The mocking words enraged the parrot pirate as he charged out of anger swinging both swords in from both the right and left sides at the same time. Seeing the attack, the skilled earth pony stepped to the left and blocked the attack from that side first before rolling the blade over his head and hitting the other sword as he brought both enemy blades down and dug them into the wooden floor beneath him. With the blades pinned down, Captain Sail brought his hind hooves around and kicked his rival in the face as hard as he could as the parrot was tossed towards the wall, and stopped himself before crashing into a table. As soon as he stopped himself, Captain Hawk looked at his opponent as Captain Sail grabbed a wooden chair and tossed it across the room at his stunned foe. Seeing his incoming projectile, Captain Hawk swung the sword in his right hand as the blade cut through the chair leaving both pieces to fly by him. However as the chair parted, Hawk realized that the chair was a distraction as he saw Captain Sail had already closed the distance between the two and was rearing up to attack him with a horizontal swing.

With no time to strategize, Captain Hawk could only bring up the sword in his left hand as the blades clashed leaving Captain Sail to roll his sword around the blocking blade as he locked his sword behind his opponents and was able to fling it from Hawk’s hand and toss it across the room. With his right hand too far away to attack or defend, the parrot captain was unable to block as Captain Sail brought up his unarmed hoof and punched his enemy upward as Captain Hawk was picked up from the ground and came crashing down on the table that was behind him as the table broke in two from his impact. Stunned but not out, Captain Hawk kicked upward as he managed to kick Captain Sail in his chest and tossed the unsuspecting pony across the room as he also came crashing down on the table across from them. With the fight’s advantage returning to an equal point, the room was in an uproar of cheering from pirates as both captains picked themselves up and glared at each other from across the room.

As the two pirate captains stared each other down, Pinpoint put his hoof on his head in a hopeless manner as he sighed, “We don’t have time for this.”
Not hearing his quartermaster’s words, Captain Sail darted across the room as Captain Hawk did the same as the two met in the middle of the observing saloon as they both broke out in a fit of skillful swings and blocks as the two swords clashed with each attack from both sides. As both sides fought each other with no change in advantage, it wasn’t long before Captain Sail finally took the upper hoof as Captain Hawk tried to attack with a vertical swing while Captain Sail both blocked the attack with his sword, then used his other hoof to grab Captain Hawk’s sword-bearing hand before turning around and using his shoulder and back to throw the large parrot over his shoulder and slamming him against the ground while at the same time, disarming him.

As soon as Captain Hawk hit the ground below Captain Sail, the skilled earth pony found himself carrying both their swords as he raised them both high in the air and dug them both into the floor on both sides of Captain Hawk’s neck as he slowly began crossing his hooved as the blades shifted over one another as they began resembling a pair of scissors that were closing on Captain Hawk’s neck. When both blades were completely closed and against the parrot pirate’s throat, Captain Sail stopped both blades as the rowdiness of the saloon ended with a large number of clicks that came from all angles of the room. As the two pirate captains held their position, they both smiled at one another as Captain Hawk spoke, “Good to see that the great Captain Sail hasn’t lost his… edge?...”
Captain Sail replied, “Just as it is, to see that the noble Captain Hawk hasn’t lost his… Support…”

With that said, Captain Sail looked around to find that every single parrot pirate in the room which easily made up a majority of the building’s occupants, were pointing guns at Captain Sail leaving well more than twenty muskets pointing at him from every direction. After seeing this, Captain Sail looked back at his pinned opponent as both their smiles, slowly turned to chuckling, before going into full blown laughter. As the two laughed at the situation, Captain Sail pulled the swords from the ground and stepped off his opponent as the pirates in the room lowered their muskets and joined in on the laughter. With the tension decimated by laugher, Captain Sail helped Captain Hawk on his feet as Hawk smiled, “Looks like I’m paying the damages this time eh Sail?”
Captain Sail smiled, “Hoping ya have greater luck in the next one Hawk.”

With that the two shared a hand slash hoof shake as Captain Hawk took back his sword and raised it in the air, “Lads! Let us welcome back Captain Sail! The Crimson Ghost Hunter!”
With that all the pirates in the room raised their mugs, “AYE!!!!”
Annoyed, Pinpoint trotted up to Captain Sail as the victorious captain gave him his sword back while the quartermaster spoke, “Well I’m glad you got that out of your system, now maybe we should get back to it then. We have somepo-”
Hearing what was easily expected to be a dismissive subject, Captain Hawk interrupted, “what’s your hurry gents? Sit, stay a while. It’s been a while since we’ve had the pleasure of your company, so at least have a drink with us.” He looked at the bartender as he sheathed the sword he had while completely forgetting the other, “barkeep! A spot of rum for Captain Sail and his crew! All on me!”

Seeing that they were invited, Captain Sail looked at Pinpoint and replied, “Come now Mr. Point. Captain Hawk granted us the opportunity to buy us a drink. Best not disrespect him by turning it down.”
Pinpoint didn’t like the idea, but Powder Keg did as he replied before sitting at the bar, “best not to waste the capt’n’s good graces. Besides, I’m sure we have at least a little time to splice the mainbrace.”
Accepting defeat, Pinpoint sighed as he sat down, “fine I s’pose I could spare a pint.”
Captain Hawk patted Pinpoint on his back as he handed him a mug, “That’s the spirit! Tonight’s the night for merriment!”
The whole room cheered at the comment as Pinpoint mumbled to himself, “looks like one of us is already loaded to the gunwhales.”
The parrot captain laughed out loud, “If it will pass as a reckonable pardon for my loss against your captain! I'll gladly accept it!”

With that, the cheerful captain sat down next to Captain Sail as he spoke, “So Sail? How goes the ghost huntin’? I got a large bounty on your success in this. Did I make the right choice or should I change my bet? Or… have ya found something of use?”
Captain Sail smiled, “I’m a little closer now… so you can cash in your chips when ya see it fit. But Captain Iron Hoof, is now within my grasp.”
The joyous captain bellowed out a loud laughter as he replied, “well seein’ that you have hooves, your grasp doesn’t assure me of anythin’, but I’m happy to hear that the search is going well.”
With that Captain Hawk took a drink as Captain Sail spoke, “So, Hawk? How’s that wee lass of yours?”
Captain Hawk smiled with glee as he took off his hat and pulled a picture out, “aww, my lass is makin’ her father proud as ever. She just became a captain of her own crew a few days ago.”
With that, the proud father handed his picture to Captain Sail as he looked at the image of a female parrot with green and tannish feathers as she stood with her father aboard a large ship. As Captain Sail looked at the image he smiled, “she’s grown into a fine lass. Captain Calaeno… also known as the Harpy Pirate… you must be proud.”

Captain Sail handed the picture back as Captain Hawk smiled, “Aye… and though it breaks me heart to see her list away from me so... sometimes I remember when she was just a wee lass, barely able to hold her sword straight as she poked the back of a sailor sayin’, Make one move and I'll gut ya! Ah… those be the days.”
Captain Sail smiled as he took a drink from his mug and replied, “Well even the toughest of us have to go our own way sooner or later. Even the daughter of Pirate Cove’s Father Pirate.”
Captain Hawk put the photo back into his hat as he replied, “aye, and though that’s the title I bear, times like this make it seem a curse… all I can do is accept that my lass is now a swashbuckler just like her old dog of a father.”
Seeing that his captain friend’s words were starting to slur, Captain Sail decided to try to get information before it was too late, “on the subject of pirates, I wanted to see if ya heard anything about one in particular… that is unless ya think you’re too… tanked?”

The confident parrot pirate smiled, “Come now Sail, ya know that this mind-o’-mine is as tough as an ice breaker. And when tanked…” He guzzled the remainder of his rum finishing off the mug as he slammed it down on the bar, “It’s even tougher.”
Captain Sail smiled, “Then your recollection of lasses shouldn’t be detoured then… I’m lookin’ for a mare that was dropped here a few days ago… A castaways of sorts, do ya think you’ve seen her?”
Captain Hawk shook his head, “not sure, what did she look like?”
Captain Sail replied, “She is a light tan mare with a very light blue mane, gorgeous as a sunset is the word most suited.”
With his words starting to slur, the parrot captain replied, “hmm… sounds like a funny one… now… wait… what where we talkin’ bout?”

Captain Sail repeated, “I asked if you saw that mare I described.”
He shook his head, “sorry… but I’m not into mares. And even if I were, I got a daughter to think abo-“
“No! I’m askin’ if ya seen her!”
The drunk pirate replied, “Seen who?”
“THE MA- ya know what? You ain’t seen her.”
Captain Hawk replied in his drunken stupor, “It’s okay sail, you’ll find love someday. Even a warped sailor like yourself has a fish out there that you can catch.”

Ignoring the drunkards comment, Captain Sail sighed as he took a drink from his mug, “Yea… I’m sure I have. Have ya at least seen the Drib Twins?”
Captain Hawk replied with a lost look, “What?... they ain’t mares…”
“I KNOW THAT!”
Captain Hawk chuckled as he replied with his words still slurred, “I’m just yankin’ your rudder chain Sail. One is here but the other took his letter of marque.”
Captain Sail was surprised, “what? You mean he went straight?”
“Aye, that he did. Was pardoned for his less than honest tradin’s and is now workin’ as a blacksmith in Equestria.”

Captain Sail replied, “So just the one brother then. Whereabouts can I find him?”
Hawk nodded, “At the end of the cove. That sutler is on the Man-o-war at the northern peak peddlin’ his illegal wares for well over price.”
Captain Sail finished his drink as he replied, “well, then it’s time we meet with him.” He looked at his crew mates as he spoke, “let’s go hardy’s time we best be off.”
Captain Hawk felt his hip and realized that the sword that was tossed from his hand earlier wasn’t there as he asked, “Did we squabble earlier? I think I lost me sword.”
Captain Sail smiled, “Aye, your sword is somewhere across the room.”
Captain Hawk nodded, “did… did I win?... and if not… what did we break?”
The bartender looked at Captain Hawk as he replied, “Two tables and a chair… and no, you didn’t win Hawk. So as usual it’s been added to your tab, along with Sail’s drinks.”

Smiling at his accomplishment, Captain Sail and his crewmates stood up from the bar as started to leave as Captain Hawk slammed his fist on the bar, “Blast!” he pointed at Captain Sail and continued with a slurred but threatening tone, “Don’t cha be getting a fat head now Sail, ya may have beaten me this time… but next time I’l-”
He tried to pat the sword that was on his left side as a threatening tactic but when he realized it wasn’t there he stopped, “wait… where did one of me swords go?”
Smiling at the drunkard’s fleeting memory, Captain Sail replied, “I'll be seeing ya-round Hawk, give my best to that lass of yours, and remember, “If we must hang?”
“We shall hang together. Good luck on that ghost hunt of yours Sail. We have a ton of loot betted on ya.”

Leaving his fellow captain too drink, Captain Sail and his crewmates trotted back into the wood streets as they made their way across the wood ship village on their way to see the only Drib twin in pirate cove. As they continued down the town, stepping over drunks and around fighting rowdy pirates from all over the world, it wasn’t too long till the connections of damaged ships and galleys led out to a larger men-o-war that was sitting at the furthest northern part of the connected mess of ships. As the trio entered the large hollowed out vessel, they entered into a shop that had many high shelves connected by ladders that stretched all the way to the top deck of what would be a formidable battle vessel. Inside they saw a young colt sweeping the floor in the center of the room as Captain Sail spoke first, “Ahoy lad? Is your master about?”
The nervous colt looked at the sea captain and shook his head as he replied, “The master is busy sir… m-may I help you?”

Captain Sail smiled as he replied, “I s’pose so… I’m in the business of acquiring certain dishonest merchandise.”
The now suspicious colt replied, “You mean… illegal correct sir?”
Captain Sail nodded, “in a sense, aye.”
The colt looked at Captain Sail closely, then shifted his eyes to Powder Keg, and finally at Pinpoint. Then as if he gathered his courage all at once, the colt shook his head as he went back to sweeping, “Sorry sir, we work an honest business for honest folks here.”
Captain Sail gave his shipmates a curious look then looked back as he replied, “Do ya now?… What’s ya name lad?”
The colt didn’t look at him as he replied, “John sir.”

Captain Sail nodded, “Laddie John… I don’t suppose ya know who I am?”
The Colt looked at his guest as he replied, “By the looks of ya, you’re a captain right?”
Sail nodded, “Aye, and with me, are my Quartermaster and my master gunner… so I say again, I wish to buy some illegal wares.”
The colt went back to sweeping, “and I say we sell no illegal wares… so bugger off.”
Captain Sail could only smile at the colt’s reply, “ya got a lot of brass talkin’ to a captain like that lad. Specially with his highest crewmates standin’ right beside him.”
With a hint of worry in his words the young colt replied, “If I do… then I do… but you need to know who my master is.”
Captain Sail smiled, “Aye… I know who your master is… he’s the kind of pony to watch idly as his employee makes a fool out of himself in front of dangerous pirates… ain’t that right?” He looked past the colt, “Mr. Drib?”

Surprised, John turned to his employer as the merchant laughed before looking to his customer and replying, “Captain Sail, it’s good to see you.”
As the merchant stepped closer Captain Sail smiled, “aye and the same to you. Who’s the cabin boy?”
Mr. Drib stepped up to his employee as he patted the young colt on his head, “well he’s just some whelp I picked up in Trottingham. He’s a good lad, but hasn’t taken to our way of life just yet.”
Mr. Drib looked at John, “Johnny boy, I understand your caution, but here in pirate cove, All business is… dishonest. So there’s no need in turning the customers away to avoid attention. There won’t be any Royal Guards trying to fool us here.”
John nodded, “well… I wouldn’t have turned them away if it wasn’t for that older stallion sir, he looks a little… noble to me.”
Captain Sail, Drib, and Powder Keg laughed as Pinpoint gave the colt an unamused look as Captain Sail replied, “Ya hear that? The lad thinks you work for the navy?”

After laughing at the comment for a second, Captain Sail replied, “Well, if anything, the lad’s got brass. Fine makin’s for a future pirate.”
John was surprised, “a… pirate? Me?”
Mr. Drib smiled, “of course, all the best pirates start out as cabin boys and climb from there.”
Captain Sail gave a fake cough, and Powder Keg cleared his throat as Drib corrected himself, “except for a few of us who gain our fame by double crossing royalty.”
The two pirates nodded their heads as Mr. Drib continued, “Either way, I’m happy to have him since my brother decided to stay in Canterlot and become a blacksmith. Did you hear about that Mr. Keg?”
Powder Keg nodded, “Aye I did.”

Mr. Drib sighed, “Funny, I thought he enjoyed this line of work more then I did… I guess it just goes to show, an honest stallion can have many faces.”
Ignoring the subject, Pinpoint spoke up, “Mr. Drib, We came to speak to you about some of your customers.”
Mr. Drib nodded, “Sure, but first thing’s first.” He looked at his employee, “Johnny, go into the back and get the small chest that’s next to the kegs.”
John nodded as he replied, “Aye sir.”

With that the young colt trotted into the back room as Mr. Drib looked back at his guest, “Now, you were saying?”
Captain Sail replied, “We need a spot of information… and as we all know, that along with your wares, information is what you sell.”
Mr. Drib smiled, “Well if the price is fair, then I can give you any info you need.”
Captain Sail continued, “We are looking for a stallion who owns a few of Mr. Keg’s muskets. And seein’ that you’re the only pony who makes them, you may have seen him.”
Mr. Drib nodded, “Maybe, what’s he look like?”
Pinpoint replied, “Solid black with a white mane…”
Drib thought to himself, “hmm… I don’t think I’ve seen him before… is he a captain?”

Captain Sail nodded, “Aye, he is.”
Mr. Drib nodded, “Then he may be sending his quartermaster to make the purchase. Or he could be using muskets from the time before Mr. Keg fled the Griffin Kingdoms.”
Powder Keg shook his head, “That’s what I said…. I recall many a-time where my dealin’s were with either a master gunner or a cabin boy, but I don’t recall seeing a black pony at all.”
Mr. Drib shook his head, “Sorry then, if Mr. Keg didn’t sell him the muskets then there isn’t any way of finding out how he came about them.”
Captain Sail sighed, “oh well, it was worth a shot. Then do ya know of a lass who came through here recently.”

Mr. Drib smiled sinisterly, “I know of many-a-mares who come through here looking for a great and handsome pirate to sweep them off their hooves. What type do you have in mind?”
Captain Sail shook his head, “why does everypony keep thinking I’m looking for a wife?”
Mr, Drib nodded, “oh… then just a one night st-“
“NO!!! I’m lookin’ for a lass who was dropped here by some traders. She was shipwrecked not long ago and was wantin’ transit here. Do ya know of her? She has a light brown coat and a skyish blue mane.”
Mr. Drib thought to himself, “Hmm… let’s see… I think I know of one… light blue mane, fawn coat… gorgeous…?”
Captain Sail nodded, “Aye, goes by the name Siren.”
Mr. Drib smiled, “oh I know who you’re talking about. Mane braded with the metal horse shoes nailed to her hooves.”

Captain Sail was interested, “metal… what?”
“Yea, she had metal horse shoes nailed into the bottom of her hooves. It was the strangest thing I’ve ever seen, but everypony has their own sense of fashion now a days, so I didn’t question it. I figured it was probably some special thing she did for the pirate crew she was apart of.”
Captain Sail replied, “Well if her name is siren then that’d be her. Do you know where she is?”
Mr. Drib acted like he was thinking to himself as he replied, “Now let me see…hmm I wish I could tell you… but then again what kind of sales pony would I be to just give away valuable information like that for free?... not a very good one if you ask me.”
Seeing what Mr. Drib was saying Captain Sail sighed, “Alright how much will it cost?”
At that moment, John returned with a small chest as he sat the chest down in front of Powder Keg and spoke, “here you are sir. Your share of profit for your musket sales.”
Powder Keg smiled as he took the chest and opened it, “Thanks lad. Much appreciated.”

As Powder Keg looked over his payment, Mr. Drib smiled, “that chest should about do it. Plus a little extra.”
At first Powder Keg became nervous but then Captain Sail replied, “No…”
Sighing in relief, Powder Keg closed the chest as Captain Sail made a counter offer, “that chest… and you will restock my ship with gunpowder… do we have an accord?”
Mr. Drib smiled, “done…”
Captain Sail looked at Powder Keg “Mr. Keg, hand it over…”
“Aww…”
With that wine, Powder Keg gave the chest back to John as the young colt took it back into the back room.

With his payment received, Mr. Drib spoke, “the mare you’re looking for left this morning. She says she needed to steal a ship and crew to hunt down a murderer.”
Captain Sail nodded, “And where did she go to do so?”
Mr. Drib smiled sinisterly, “she went to a kingdom of peace and tranquility. A place that you yourself have been too, but refused to return… care to take a guess?”
Captain Sail didn’t take any time to think as he replied, “She went to Equestria… didn’t she?”
Mr. Drib nodded, “yep… just this morning so you know she’s half way there by now.”
Captain Sail rubbed his head in irritation as he replied, “well if this ain’t a case of karma in the works, nothin’ is.”

Although Pinpoint knew what he meant, Powder Keg was confused as he replied, “Well if she is in Equestria then we should just go get her, right capt’n?
Pinpoint shook his head, “well… it ain’t as simple as it seems.”
“If this is about the bounty on his head then what’s the big deal? I’ve got a bounty on me in a majority of the world and ya don’t see me avoiding it.”
Captain Sail shook his head, “I can live with the loot on my head… it’s the hunter that I’m worried about.”
Powder Keg was confused, “hunter? A pirate hunter?”
Pinpoint replied, “Nah, pirate hunters we can handle… this particular hunter is much worse… and it wouldn’t be so bad if the captain didn’t leave her standing alone at the altar.”
Powder Keg was surprised as Captain Sail added, “The lass I left behind isn’t known for mercy… if anythin’ she’s earned her nickname b-”

At that moment Captain Sail noticed that Mr. Drib was watching him closely as the information dealer seemed to be paying full attention to what the captain was about to say. Seeing this Captain Sail sighed, “Never-ya-mind… fact of the matter is that in Equestria, myself and my entire crew is at risk… unless…”
“Unless?”
Captain Sail thought to himself as he replied, “If we go there, we have to avoid attention… which means we can’t cause any trouble for the local authorities.”
Pinpoint sighed as he smiled at the irony, “well for a scurvy crew of pirates, that ain’t gonna be as simple as sailing across a pond. I think it’s safe to say that you’ve got the devil’s luck”
Powder Keg nodded, “true, we ain’t the sorts to blend into a herd.”
Captain Sail nodded, “Well… if the lass we are after is there then we need to try. Mr. Keg, you stay here and begin negotiations for the exchange of our loot. Then return to the ship and rest. Tomorrow at one in the afternoon, we set sail for Equestria. I only hope that… she don’t find out. Otherwise even Celestia won’t be able to save us.”