• Published 6th Jul 2017
  • 11,765 Views, 446 Comments

Prince Sonic the Hedgehog - castroedgar316



One night princess Celestia was gazing at the moon remembering the incident that happened less that a thousand years ago when a bright blue light appears before her.

  • ...
54
 446
 11,765

PreviousChapters Next
Sonic and Twilight's Kingdom part 1

It's been three weeks since Sonic and the Princesses reminisced together, and we now find him, Spike, and the mane six arriving in the crystal empire so that they can greet the dignitaries from a neighboring kingdom (with Sonic and Twilight having been told to do so due to their royal status', while Spike and the rest of the mane six were invited to come along).

"It feels like yesterday that I have this place." Spike said as the group made their way through the train station, "Hey, do any of you guys remember that?"

"Sure, it's not like you talked about it fifteen times on during the ride." Rainbow Dash said sarcasticly.

"That's certainly funny, coming from the pegasus who brags whenever she gets the chance." Sonic said, earning a laugh from the group sans Rainbow Dash (who grumbled in response), "All joking aside, I find it very generous of the crystal ponies to actually make a statue as a way to thank you for one, delivering the crystal heart to Cadence, and two, saving them from being crushed by that giant frozen cloud."

As if on que, the group saw said statue come into sight.

The statue itself was made of blue crystals and took the appearance of Spike holding the crystal heart in one claw.

"All I can say is that it looks good." Sonic said.

"Well that second part I have you to thank for." Spike said, "Remember that you let me hold to one of the chaos emeralds during the equestria games when you found out how nervous I was in front of everypony. The way it powered up my fire-breath to the point where it enveloped the entire cloud (along with permanently making it stronger) was very cool. But I'm not the only one who got a statue as thanks for saving the crystal empire."

Looking next to Spike's statue, the group saw a larger statue (that was also made of blue crystals, only slightly darker) that had the appearance of Sonic holding a chaos emerald.

(Image that he's made of crystal and that he has the appearance he currently has in this story).

"While you kinda have a point there, I'm already in come of the windows of canterlot castle along with the girls, so a statue is no big deal in my opinion." Sonic said before noticing that Twilight appeared to be upset, "What's wrong, Twilight?"

Although she was hesitant for a moment, Twilight said, "I've just been feeling a little unsure about things lately. It doesn't seem that my new role as a princess equates to all that much."

"Why's that?" Sonic asked.

"Well, considering that all I have to do is smile and wave at the duke and duchess of maretonia when they arrive, it just feels, unimportant." Twilight responded.

"Don't be silly, Twilight." Sonic said, "If it greeting the maretonian duke and duchess was unimportant, mom wouldn't of asked us to do so. Plus she told me to do that as well, and I'm fine with it."

"I guess you're right..." Twilight said.

"Then we better get going if we don't want to be late!" Sonic said before grabbing Twilight's front right hoof and dragging her off to the castle, prompting the rest of the group to hurry after them.


Several hours later we find both Sonic and Twilight outside the private room where Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Cadence were speaking with the maretonian duke and duchess (Twilight was nervously pacing back'and-forth while Sonic leaned against the wall).

"Sheesh Twilight, if you keep pacing like that, you'll end up making a groove in the floor, and the floor is made of crystal may I remind you. " Sonic said.

"They've been talking all day." Twilight said in response, "I don't know what else they'll be planning on doing."

Soon, the doors to the room opened, the duke and duchess stepped out, indicating that the meeting had ended. Sonic and Twilight bowed to them as they approached.

"Your highnesses, thank you for understanding our desire to keep the number of those privy to these confidential discussions to a minimum," the Duke said.

"Of course," Sonic Twilight said as the couple of maretonia passed them.

As soon as duke and duchess left the hall, Sonic and Twilight stood up as Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Cadence stepped out of the room.

Twilight eagerly approached her fellow princesses, awaiting any new orders.

"Is there anything else I can do to assist with their visit?" Twilight asked.

"I'm sorry, Twilight, but their visit is already over." Princess Celestia apologized.

Disappointed about what she heard, Twilight's ears drooped sadly.

"What's wrong, Twilight?" Princess Celestia asked when she noticed this.

"It's just, I don't know why I was asked to be here." Twilight responded, "Couldn't have one of the guards unfurled the banner instead of me?"

"Twilight, we've been over this." Sonic said, "Although what we did was simple, it was important."

"He's right." Princess Celestia said before explaining, "Having all five of us here in the crystal empire to greet them lets dignitaries know that their visit is considered very important."

"And, it gives me the opportunity to see my favorite sister-in-law again," Cadence said as she hugged Twilight.

"And I'm happy to see you too, all of you." Twilight said as Cadence let her go.

"But?" Cadence asked, knowing that Twilight had more to say.

"But, what is my purpose as a princess?" Twilight asked, "I mean, Princess Celestia raises the sun, Princess Luna raises the moon, Cadence protects the Crystal Empire, Sonic protects all of equestria along with finding ways to make everypony happy, and all I ever seem to do is...smile and wave. I'm not saying that I'm ungrateful for my title, far from it. It's just, I just feel that I could do much more."

Seeing how glum Twilight was at the moment, Sonic and the princesses approached her with hopes of cheering her up.

"Twilight, your destiny may be uncertain at the moment, it will be much clearer to see after your every choice." Princess Celestia said as she placed a hoof on Twilight's shoulder.

"My sister is right." Princess Luna said, "Your destiny as a princess won't simply become clear overnight, it must first be discovered, and when that will happen is something none of us know."

"But just because you don't know what your destiny will be yet, doesn't mean what you do will be pointless." Cadence said.

"They're right, you know." Sonic said, "Whatever your destiny will be, we'll be there to help you find it, and support you through it."

After processing the princesses and prince's words for a moment, a smile formed on Twilight's face.

"You're all right." Twilight said, "I guess I'm just a little bit impatient, and a little worried as well."

"That's good to hear." Sonic said before his stomach let out a growl, causing him to laugh nervously as he scratched the back of his head, "I guess I forgot to grab myself something to eat since had to keep reminding Twilight that there was no need to be nervous."

"If your hungry, then go ahead and ask the chiefs to make you something." Cadence said.

"There's no need for that Cadence." Sonic said, "I brought some bits along so I could just go find a restaurant and-"

"You're my guest Sonic, there's no need to spend your bit when I have to say about it." Cadence insisted, "Besides, it's the least I could do since I owe you for all things you did for me for the last few years."

"You know that you don't need to repay me, right?" Sonic asked.

"I know, but I know you would do the same for me if I was in your shoes." Cadence replied.

Although he wanted to decline, Sonic knew that Cadence wouldn't take no for an answer.

After letting out a sigh of defeat, Sonic said, "Thanks, cuz."

"Don't mention it." Cadence said before she, Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna made their way down the hall.

"Well, time to grab something to eat." Sonic said before noticing that Twilight hadn't left, "Hey Twi, want to come with? I certainly know that you haven't gotten a bite to eat either, and don't even try to deny it."

"I was actually going to ask if I could come as well." Twilight said, "Plus, I'm sure you would of dragged me along anyway if I said no."

Hearing this made Sonic smirk.

"You know me too well." Sonic jokingly said before gesturing Twilight to follow him, "Come on, let's go to the kitchen before Cadence decides to ask the chiefs to make a ten course dinner for us."

Giggling, Twilight nodded her head before she and and Sonic began to made their way to the kitchen.


The next morning, find Sonic, Twilight and Cadence waiting in the throne room, having been told that Princess Celestia and Princess Luna needed to see them privately.

"Any idea as to why mom and Aunt Luna wanted to see us in private?" Sonic asked.

"I have no clue." Cadence responded, "They told me to bring you two here, but whatever it is, the both of them were acting really strange, almost as if they were afraid of something."

"For the both of them to be on edge like that, it must be something incredibly serious." Twilight said.

"You couldn't be more right, Twilight." Princess Celestia said as she and Princess Luna entered the throne room, holding a book in her magical grip, "A threat even greater than the likes of Discord, Sombra, or even Nightmare Moon has broken free; his name is Tirek."

Princess opened the book, the pages creating an illustration of a wasteland, showing the silhouette of what appeared to be a centaur with two curved horns on its head in the background, and a gargoyle with brown fur, wearing a gold triangular-shaped pendant around its neck.

"Tirek and his brother Scorpan came here from a distant land, intent on stealing Equestrian magic." Princess Celestia continued before turning the page, showing an image of Scorpan making peace with Star Swirl the Bearded, "But Scorpan soon came to appreciate the ways of Equestria, even befriending a young unicorn wizard."

Turning the page, the group saw Scorpan seemingly pleading to Tirek, but the centaur didn't seem to have a single care.

"Scorpan tried to convince Tirek to abandon their plans, but had no luck, forcing him to alert us of his brothers intentions." Princess Luna said, briefly continuing the story.

"Scorpan returned to his own land, and Tirek was sent to Tartarus for his crimes." Princess Celestia said as she turned the page, with the book showing just that, "But it appears he has found a way to escape and is currently somewhere in equestria."

"We believe Tirek's escape must have occurred when Cerberus had left his post at to the gates of Tarterus." Princess Luna said.

"Wait, but that was years ago!" Sonic exclaimed, "Not that I'm complaining or anything, but I'm sure a guy like him would of tried to conjure equestria sooner. Why wait until now to steal magic?"

"He has been sealed in Tarterus for over a thousand years, all of his powers were completely drained, leaving him vulnerable." Princess Celestia said, "But he more than likely regained enough strength to use his dark powers."

"And the more time that he is out there, the more powerful he will become." Princess Luna added.

"Then I suggest that me and the girls start searching for him." Sonic Said, "The sooner we find and stop him, the better."

"I do not think that would be a good idea, Sonic." Princess Celestia said.

"Why not?" Sonic asked.

"While he mainly focuses on draining one's magic, it could be possible he could also drain powerful sources of energy." Princess Celestia responded, "And with the chaos emeralds practically limitless amounts of energy, it could cause Tirek to become unstoppable."

'Unless I knock him out before he could get the chance to do so.' Sonic thought to himself.

"But fear not, I have a solution." Princess Celestia said, "We must rely on someone else; Discord."

"WHAT!?!?!?" Sonic, Twilight, Princess Luna, and Cadence simultaneously exclaimed in shock.


"...As in 'Discord', Discord?" Applejack asked after Sonic and Twilight came back to Ponyville and explained the events of their meeting to Spike and the rest of the mane six.

"Unfortunately, yes." Sonic responded, "As much as I don't want to question my mom's decision, every instinct inside me is telling me that this is a bad idea."

"I'll say!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed, "Discord may be "reformed" now, but doesn't mean he's trustworthy."

"I don't know." Fluttershy said, "Discord can be helpful."

"Discord is able to sense a magical imbalances." Twilight said, "So the next time Tirek steals magic, Discord will be able to track him down!"

"If that's the case, what are we going to do in the meantime?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Nothing...Unless any of you want me to smile and wave," Twilight said with an upset sigh, "I think I'll go to the castle of the two sisters and catch up on some reading, being that I'm not needed anywhere else."

"Hope you don't mind if we come along." Sonic said as he, Spike, and the rest of the mane six approached Twilight, "It's been awhile since we visited there so it might be fun. Besides, we wouldn't want our friend to go anywhere alone while they're upset."

After remaining silent for a moment, a smile formed on Twilight's face before she said, "Thanks guys, I couldn't ask for better friends."

"I'm sure you would of done the same if we were in your shoes." Sonic said, "Now come on, let's go."

Nodding, the group began to make their way out of the library, having decided to walk to the castle of the two sisters since there was no need to rush there.


A few minutes later, we find the group crossing the bridge that was lead to where the tree of harmony rested.

"I still can't believe we had to give up the elements of harmony." Rainbow Dash said, "If we still had them, we could probably track Tirek down ourselves and kick his flank before he gets the chance to draine anypony else's magic."

"But remember that we had to give them up so that the tree of harmony wouldn't die." Rarity said.

"And even without them, our friendship is as strong as ever." Fluttershy said, causing everyone to nod in agreement.

"Let's just hope a certain 'friend' doesn't make us regret giving them up." Applejack said.

"Is someone talking about me?" A voice that came from behind the group said, surprising them and causing them to turn around.

After seeing that it was Discord, the group (sans Fluttershy) frowned before Applejack dryly asked, "How'd you guess?"

"My ears were burning." Discord responded as the group saw that his ears were literally on fire before he pulled out a glass of water and splashed the contents on his face.

"What are you even doing here, Discord?" Rainbow Dash asked with annoyance in her voice.

"Oh, just a bit of light reading before I head off on my extremely important mission." Discord responded he and the group continued to make their way to the tree of harmony, "I suppose you all know that I've been tasked to capture a certain escapee."

"Big deal." Spike said.

"You're right, Spike, it is a big deal." Discord said, "It seems that I possess a magic that gives me quite an important role in equestria. Maybe they should make me an alicorn princess."

Discord then snapped his fingers, giving himself a pair of fake purple wings, a fake purple horn on his forehead, and a purple crown fit for a king as he posed. Confetti then began to rain down on everyone as applause rang out around them.

"Don't get your hopes up." Sonic said as the group entered the cave where the tree of harmony rested, "The only time that'll happen is in your dreams."

"Oh, I don't dream such things." Discord said as the wings, horn, and crown that he wore disappeared, "You could even ask your aunt about it."

"That aside, don't you have a magic-draining villain to track down." Sonic asked, clearly wanting the draconequus to leave.

"Yes, yes, yes, of course, it's just that I couldn't help but notice that Twilight hasn't yet opened this little chest of hers." Discord said as he gestured towards the chest at the base of the tree of harmony, "I-I-It got me thinking, what if what's locked inside is something that could help her prove her royal worth? I only bring it up because she said that she's been feeling like her role as a princess doesn't equate to much."

"Wait a minute!" Pinkie exclaimed, "How do you know how she was feeling?!"

"Oh, my, is eavesdropping not the way you're supposed to find out what your best pals are up to?" Discord asked in a upset/mocking manner, "Woe is me. Will I ever learn the intricate nuances of being a good friend?"

Everyone (except Fluttershy) simply stared at Discord with a deadpan expression on their faces.

"Well in any case, I suppose now is as good a time as any for me to make my exit." Discord before teleporting away.

"Good riddance." Applejack said.

About a second later, Discord reappeared but had a book in his claw.

"Oopsie-doopsie, I almost left with the little journal you've all been keeping." Discord said, "What a fascinating read. Haven't you all just learned so much? I've bookmarked a few of the more interesting passages. You really should take a look!"

With that Discord balanced the book on Twilight's horn before turning towards Fluttershy and asked, "We're still on for tea later, aren't we, Fluttershy?"

"I wouldn't miss it." Fluttershy responded.

"Well, I'll bring the cucumber sandwiches...!" Discord said as he walked off, opening up a doorway to who knows where and walked through, finally leaving them alone as he closed the interdimensional passage.

'We're doomed!' Sonic thought to himself, knowing fully well that Discord shenanigans will cause harm than good.

"Sometimes I think the 'reformed' Discord is more obnoxious than the 'before-he-was-reformed' Discord" Applejack said, earning nods from most of the group.

"But he could be right, couldn't he?" Fluttershy asked, "What if there is something important in that chest?"


After thinking about it for a moment, Twilight said, "There's only one way to find out."


A few hours later, we find the group in the library of the castle of the two sisters looking through all of the books that were there.

"Have any of you found anything yet?" Twilight asked, no to receive a "no" from everyone, "There must be something in this library that can help me figure out how to open the chest. The answer's in one of these books, I just know it."

Some time later after deciding to read to read the friendship journal (It was disregarded up until that point), Twilight noticed something within the journal that caught her attention.

"I think I found something!" Twilight called out, causing the rest of the group to stop their search and see what Twilight found, "I've been reading our journal, and there's something interesting about the sections that Discord bookmarked. Applejack, do you remember when you had to tell everypony that the tonic Granny bought from the Flim Flam brothers didn't really work?"

"How could I forget?" Applejack asked, "It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I didn't want Granny to be miserable after believing that tonic doesn't do anything. So, I ended up lying to her."

'Considering all the scams they've pulled off over the years, I'm surprised that those two haven't been arrested for scamming yet.' Sonic thought to himself before asking, "But what does that have to do with the chest?"

"According to the entries Discord had marked, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, Rarity, and Fluttershy all had a situation where the element they represent wasn't easy to solve." Twilight said as she turned to the marked entry that showed Fluttershy with the Breezies, "Fluttershy, you realized that the only way to show kindness to the Breezies was to force them to leave your home."

"Oh, the looks on their poor little faces!" Fluttershy said, remembering how disappointed the Breezies were she had them leave, "But I knew that, as difficult as it was, pushing them away was the kindest thing I could do."

"Rarity, even after Suri took advantage of your generosity at Fashion Week in Manehattan, you didn't let it cause you to abandon your generous spirit." Twilight said after turning to Rarity's entry.

"I simply couldn't have lived with myself if I didn't do something special for the friends who have always been so generous to me!" Rarity said.

"Rainbow Dash, you had the chance to fly with the Wonderbolts at the Equestria Games, but instead you chose to compete with your friends." Twilight continued after turning to Rainbow Dash's entry.

"Sure!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed, "But being loyal to my friends was way–"

"Ooh, my turn, my turn!" Pinkie exclaimed, cutting off Rainbow Dash.

"Pinkie, you realized that seeing your friend laugh was more important than proving you were a better party planner than Cheese Sandwich." Twilight concluded after turning to Pinkie's entry.

"Best party I've ever had." Rainbow Dash said to herself.

"It's clear we've all had our moments to shine, Twilight, but I'm with Sonic." Rarity said, "What does any of this have to do with the opening of the chest?"

"All of you had tough choices to make, but when you made the right one and embraced your element, it helped somepony else make the right choice too." Twilight explained, "Each of you received something from the pony whose life you helped change. I know it sounds crazy, but maybe there's something special about those objects that could lead us to the location of the keys. The chest is connected to the tree of harmony, the tree is connected to the elements, and the elements are connected to all of us. There must be a connection! I hate to admit it, but maybe Discord was trying to be a good friend after all."

"If you need all of those, then..." Sonic began to say before teleporting away, only to return a few seconds later holding in his arms, a spool of rainbow thread, a Wonderbolts pin, a rubber chicken that was named Boneless, a blue flower, and a bit, "...here you go, now let's get to the tree of harmony."

With that said, Sonic used chaos control and teleported himself and the group to the tree of harmony.

"Okay, now that we have them, what exactly should we do now?" Sonic asked as he presented the items to Twilight.

Twilight took a moment through the items before saying, "I don't see anything on them that would give us a clue as to where the keys might be. They're just... ordinary, everyday objects."

"Come on, Boneless!" Pinkie yelled before grabbing and shaking the rubber chicken, "Give us that key!"

"I don't think that'll work, Pinkie." Twilight said.

Out of frustration, Pinkie threw Boneless at the chest. But as soon as the rubber chicken struck the chest, it began to glow and float in front of it before spinning, transforming as it did so.

Once it stopped, everyone saw that Boneless had turned into a golden key that was shaped like a trio of balloons tied to a string, with the blade curving up and down as the string while the balloons made up the bow to turn it.

Everyone was speechless as they watched the key float into one of the keyholes, fitting perfectly inside it.

Now knowing what they should do, the group picked up the remaining items and placed on top of the chest.

After a moment, the other four items were turned into keys and placed into the chest, leaving only one slot empty.

"There's still one key missing." Twilight said, "The key that represents the element of magic. My element."

"Oh, but I'm sure that if we've gotten our keys, you have too Twilight." Fluttershy said.

"Think Twilight, when have you completed a difficult magical task, and in doing so encouraged another pony to do the same?" Rarity asked.

"I haven't." Twilight responded as she flipped through the journal, "If I had, I would have written about it in the journal."

"Don't worry, Twilight." Spike said, "I'm sure you'll get your key eventually."

Almost immediately after he said that, Spike belched out a scroll through his fire breath.

After grabbing and opening the scroll, Sonic silently read it's contents to himself before saying, "Twilight, we need to get to canterlot castle, now!"

"What's wrong?" Twilight asked.

"All the letter said was that we have to immediately go to the castle to see my mom, which more than likely means that something bad happened." Sonic explained before turning towards Spike and the rest of the mane six, "You guys should head back to ponyville, we'll meet up with you there when we get back."

After the group nodded in understanding, Sonic placed a hand on her shoulder before immediately using chaos control to teleport to canterlot castle.


After arriving at the castle, the duo quickly made their way to the throne room, where they found the princesses waiting for them.

"We came as quickly as we could!" Twilight exclaimed as she and Sonic entered, "Is something wrong? Is it Tirek?"

"I'm afraid I put too much trust in Discord and the effect that friendship would have upon him." Princess Celestia said in an upset tone.

"It seems that Discord has betrayed the ponies of equestria and joined forces with Tirek."

Upon hearing this, Twilight gasped in shock while Sonic gritted his teeth.

'I already knew that it would be a bad idea to have Discord go after Tirek, but backstabbing us and joining Tirek!?' Sonic angrily thought to himself, 'The next time I see Discord, I'll make sure to hit him so hard that it'll hurt for a thousand years!"

"How could Discord do this?!" Twilight asked, still completely shocked, "I thought our friendship meant something to him! I thought he had changed."

"Tirek has stolen enough magic that he now has the strength to steal flight as well." Princess Celestia began to explain, "Without Pegasi to control the weather, there will be no rain in Equestria. There is word he has gone after Earth ponies as well. Without their strength, they will not be able to tend the land."

"Ponies will no longer be in control of their world." Princess Luna added, "That power will belong solely to Tirek."

"There is no doubt that Tirek is after Alicorn magic." Princess Celestia said, "And with Discord by his side, we will not be able to stop him from taking it."

"Once it is in his possession, his power will know no bounds, and all hope will be lost." Princess Luna said.

"Then what are going to do now if that's the case?" Sonic asked.

"There is only one thing we can do." Princess Celestia said before hesitating for a moment, "We must make a sacrifice for the future of equestria and the world. We must rid ourselves of our magic before Tirek has the chance to steal it from us."

"Give up your magic!?!" Sonic asked in shock, "But You and Aunt Luna won't be able to raise the sun and the moon! I'm sure thing would still end up going badly if that was the case!"

"Sasly it is the only choice we have." Princess Luna said, "When Tirek comes for us, we cannot have what he desires."

Although she knew that Sonic might be able to stand up against Tirek, Twilight also knew that without the elements of harmony, it was best to not take any chances at failure.

"I'm more than willing to do my part and give up my magic." Twilight finally said.

"You misunderstand." Princess Luna said, "Our magic cannot just disappear into thin air. Someone must keep it safe."

"That someone is you and Sonic." Princess Celestia said as she pointed at the duo.

"WHAT!?!?" Sonic and Twilight exclaimed in shock.

PreviousChapters Next