• Published 20th Sep 2017
  • 450 Views, 3 Comments

Everfree Weather - Midknight Defender



Kal has seen a lot in his time adventuring across the various lands of Norrath. Met a few interesting ladies. Survived a world-shattering cataclysm. Once, he even borrowed a necklace from a god. Who wants it back. Now. Oops?

  • ...
 3
 450

Ch. 1 - We're not in Odus anymore

"Urrgh. Did anyone get the name of the dragon that hit me?" Kal sat up.

And promptly lay back down again, wincing as his hand found the lump on his head. "I'm going to guess I struck out last night."

"Again." Cracked eyes found the leafy canopy overhead. Focusing a little effort into a healing spell, Kal risked sitting up again, more slowly.

"Not too bad; should be right as rain in a few hou―why am I naked?"

A quick scan of the forest glade revealed nobody else present, no sign of his clothing, weapons, or other equipment. "Great prank guys. Come on out.

"Any time now?

"Someone's getting hot sauce in their ale when I get back to town." Pausing to look around again, Kal scratched his head. "I know the Faydark Forest is larger than it used to be, but with all the time spent here, you'd think I'd at least have some idea where I am."

It was definitely still the Faydark. The giant trees and riotous growth were the giveaways: even the haunted Kithicore forest didn't grow like this. Only the home of the elves had this much raw Growth magic coursing through it.

"Great. Naked and alone in the largest, wildest forest on Faydwer. Well, at last I don't have to embarrass myself if I come across anyone." Focusing on another spell, Kal crouched over, arching his back as magic rippled across his form in a wave of coruscating sparks, leaving in its wake the thick, gray fur, even pointier ears, and jaunty grin of a wolf. "And Sai always said I spent too much time with this spell."

Flexing his paws to free them of the final tingle from the change, Kal turned, and loped into the underbrush to find a landmark.


"Where in Norrath am I?"

Kal sat staring across the chasm at the ruined castle before him.

"It's not Castle Mistmoore; even if the style is right, that's in the middle of the Loping Plains to the south. Crushbone Keep is east, in the mountains. Stinking of orcs. No forest around either. How in the name of Tunare's tears does an entire castle go unnoticed by every elf to ever map the forest?"

Ears pinned back, Kal took a deep breath and turned resolutely away as he tried to spot anything familiar in the distance. Without a bat wing to cast a levitate spell, there was no way he was getting across to the castle to get higher above the trees. It was a pity whoever'd built the thing hadn't built the bridge out of something longer-lasting than rope. "Easier to replace after a siege, I guess.

"This can't be the Faydark."

The lack of either mountains or ocean to the north made that clear.

"Which means this isn't... Norrath." Crap.

"And I need you to go find it before it causes a war with the local deities."

Kal dropped flat and yelped at the sudden memory of being struck by divine lightning. Looked around cautiously. No glowering storm god in sight.

"Okay, I remember, big guy. Next time, don't drop me on my head." Rising to his feet, Kal shuddered once, and turned north.

No coastline to follow back to parts known, but that smoky haze above the trees probably meant a village of some sort. He could find his bearings there. Or get eaten by orcs. Growling slightly, he focused on another spell, blurring his outline so an onlooker could not see where his coat ended and the brush began, and got moving.

"A day. If I make good time, I won't need to eat conjured rations." Grimacing in distaste, Kal headed for the trees again. Better hungry than that.


A melodious voice floated through the trees at the edge of the Everfree Forest. Flitting vibrantly from branch to bush, through clearings and over a meandering little stream, a yellow pegasus went about her morning routine, checking on all the animals who made their homes near hers.

"Mister Racoon, good morning. How's the paw? What's that, Missus Racoon? He was out climbing all night? For shame, Mister Raccoon! You know you'll only make it hurt worse if you don't take it easy!

"Lil Finch! Have some breakfast. I know, getting kicked out of the nest is unpleasant, but growing up is for the best, you'll see. You might even be somefinch important someday!

"Oh, hello, Warblage. You're keeping Lil Finch company, today? That's so kind of you! You girls have fun."

Humming happily to herself, the pegasus continued her morning rounds. Foxes, sparrows, opossums, chipmunks, and dozens of other little critters squeaked, chirped, yipped, or chittered greetings as she delivered breakfast or checked on bandages. Even a great brown bear looked up and knuckled his forehead pleasantly at her as she passed by.

"Don't forget your massage appointment at four, today, Harry!"

Nodding and grumbling good-naturedly, the bear settled back to his morning nap.

Finishing with her animal friends, the pegasus shifted her now empty basket and began filling it with flowers and wild salad greens, that for some reason always tasted better fresh from the forest.

"Yelp!"

The pegasus looked up from her basket at the abrupt cry of pain, followed by a raucous chattering that echoed through the forest, suddenly appearing smaller than she had moments before.

"Is... is somepony out there?"

Again the raucous chattering. This time, she saw the acorn fly through the air.

"Yelp!"

Her attention was drawn to a―dog?―as it whimpered softly and rubbed its nose with a paw.

"Mister Squirrel? Oh, Mister Squirrel, how could you! That's not very nice. Stalking me? What do you mean? Oh, no, I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding."

The doglike creature stared at her, eyes wide.

"You talk!"

"Oh my, you can talk!"

Author's Note:

Don't worry. The shift in tense/pov between the prologue and the rest of the story was deliberate. It won't be flip-flopping back and forth, unless I think of a reason why it should. Which I can't think of. So we're good. Okay? :raritywink:

"I was going to die" just wouldn't grab your attention the same way as "I'm gonna die," but there is no way in Tartarus I'm writing the entire thing in present tense. That would just be awkward. And I got to hint at some relevant lore that way. Yay for being temporarily inside someone's head! :pinkiecrazy:

:twilightangry2: Quit making excuses and get back to writing. You've been slacking for a dozen years; now that you've finally started again, you're not allowed to quit!

O_o Yes'm. Just don't expect excellence. This isn't very planned. And I may be out of practice. I haven't writ since college.