• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 18,300 Views, 1,334 Comments

Lines and Webs - Airstream



In a world of peace, there must be Order. No matter what the cost.

  • ...
54
 1,334
 18,300

PreviousChapters Next
Of Skulls and Sketches

The undead were more formidable than either Twilight or Morning Star had anticipated. Flame and lightning flared over the corpses, but they had no flesh to fry or nerves to scramble. Luckily for the two unicorns, the skeleton guard didn't bother to avoid attacks, simply walking through them. The danger was soon realized. If the spellcasters could not reduce their numbers, the undead would swiftly overwhelm them. But how could they do that if not a single spell worked?

Twilight started to panic. She recognized that these ponies were a variety of undead known as liches. While not particularly smart or fast, they could take a lot of punishment and worked well in packs like this one. She started to manifest bolts of pure force, switching over from lightning and cold magic. Jets of purple magic spat from her horn, and she was rewarded by knocking the limbs off of one of the liches advancing on her. She backed up to the parapet, and began to fight in earnest. "Morning Star!" she screamed, blasting another off of the edge of the tower. "They're liches! No flame or lightning! Use force!" She couldn't see him. Worried, she began to scan for her companion frantically, a feeling of dread coiling in her stomach. She saw nothing except for stone and bone all around her. Wait, was that stone moving? Her eye was drawn, and she grinned in recognition.

Morning Star had realized that his magic wasn't doing anything. In response, he had decided to use a bit of geomancy to protect himself. The unicorn had fashioned a magical covering of rock that formed to his body exactly, glowing slightly with a reddish light. His eyes were clear, allowing him to see, but Twilight realized he probably couldn't hear her if he was completely covered in stone. Smiling, she turned back to her own problem, unleashing another powerful bolt of magic that pulverized a lich into dust. Warming up, she began to fire in earnest, purple light flashing from her horn to strike down her foes one after the other. Morning Star crushed skulls and delivered kicks that sent the undead flying off of the side of the tower to shatter on the rocks below.

As more and more of the undead arrived, the duo battled even more fiercely, Twilight's grin turning into a defiant snarl. She backed up to the very edge of the tower, knocking several back with a wave of force. Morning Star had to buck several liches off of his back as they started to pile up on him. The undead horde was here in numbers, and they were definitely using them to their advantage. Soon enough, the young ponies would be overwhelmed entirely. Twilight thought furiously, even as she struck down foe after foe. She had an idea that might work. Concentrating, she quickly teleported over to the side of the tower Morning Star occupied, and walked slowly back toward the edge with him. The liches pressed forward, not leaving any breathing room. Twilight Sparkle leapt in front of Morning Star, horn crackling with magic...and then bucked him with magically enhanced hooves, catching him square in the chest and sending him straight off of the tower's edge.

Twilight leapt off the parapet straight after him, pointing her hooves like she had seen Rainbow Dash do when attempting to fall faster. The ground rose up to meet her at an alarming rate, and she still hadn't caught up to Morning Star, who was just outside of her reach...there. She called forth her magic, suspending herself and Morning Star inside a bubble of force. They hit the ground at a reduced speed, turning what surely would have been a fatal fall into one that was simply painful. Both unicorns landed on their hooves, wincing at the impact. Twilight turned to Morning Star. "Bolt of force, as big as you can, at the bottom of the tower. Then, get ready to run."

Morning Star nodded in agreement, his horn flaring to life. Several of the liches impacted the courtyard, having been pushed off by their undead brethren. Bone flew everywhere, and eye lights winked out. Twilight stood next to him, calling forth as much magic as she could, her brow furrowed in concentration. Both unicorns faced the tower's bottom, horns flaring and spitting sparks. The spells grew and grew, barely contained or focused. A rattling was heard from the inside of the tower, as the liches returned to the bottom to kill them both. Twilight Sparkle waited, wanting to make sure as many as possible were near the bottom. The first lich arrived at the door. "Now!" Twilight cried, and the two unicorns let loose with twin bolts of energy, one such a bright purple it was almost white, and the other a livid, hissing red. The bolts impacted the tower, and Morning Star summoned a shield.

The magic didn't shatter the tower's base so much as chew through it, reducing mortar and rock to a fine powder. Any of the undead on the bottom floor were obliterated as well, briefly silhouetted against the light that ate away at their bones. Without so much as a pause, the twin bolts of magic flew through the other side, sailing away over the trees and into the distance. What was left of the tower's base didn't last long. There was a beat of absolute silence. Then, with an almighty crack, the entirety of the tower collapsed to one side, the runes along its side flickering out and flaring into nonexistence. The shower of rubble impacted against Morning Star's shield, who gritted his teeth and pushed back, holding it even though the force drove him to his knees. The rain of stone seemed like it would never stop, going on and on and on, until the tower had fallen completely. And once again, all was quiet.

Morning Star dismissed the shield, collapsing wearily to one side. He lay there, panting, looking into Twilight's expressive purple eyes. They drew closer into an embrace, still on the cobblestone yard of the now-ruined tower. Gazing into each other's eyes, smiles crossed their lips. Without warning, Morning Star began to laugh. "Hahaha. Ha-hahahaha-hahah...hahaha!" Twilight joined in, her laugh over his. Soon, they lay there, exhausted, holding each other and laughing with the sheer joy of being alive, their joyous sound echoing off of the walls and trees. They had no food, no map, no supplies of any kind. They both were covered in cuts and bruises, and had splitting magical headaches. But they were alive and mostly unharmed, and for now, that would be enough.

So absorbed were they in their happiness that they failed to notice the mist rising from the tower, slowly encircling them, until it was far too late. Eyes widening, they struggled to their feet, their horns wearily flickering with light. Suddenly, the mist rushed inward, obscuring their visions and causing their horns to abandon their glow. Twilight felt the mist rush past her, leaving her cold and chilled and...completely unharmed? The mist reestablished itself around them, coiling in anticipation, seeming to wait for something to happen. Morning Star looked at her, puzzled. His eyes widened at the same time hers did. Their minor wounds were gone, and neither of them had their headaches anymore. They both felt refreshed, ready for another day's worth of marching. Twilight glanced at the ground. Somehow, their bags were sitting on the ground between them, looking as though they hadn't just fallen off of a tower and been buried in rubble. She flicked open the catches, noticing that their supplies were still intact. "Wha-. How did these...huh?" she asked of Morning Star, who shrugged, looking out at the mist. Twilight realized there were more important matters to attend to right now. The mist flared with strange, pulsing lights, warm and golden instead of the horrible green and blue that the necromancy had exhibited. A shadowy figure was congealing in the fog, forming itself into the shape of a pony.

He was a stallion, that much she could tell, built like her brother, and wearing armor. A soldier, then. His features shifted, never really distinct, leaving only the impression of eyes and a mouth. He had a horn, and something about him gave him an air of command. He was completely silent, and appeared to be looking directly at Twilight. Unbidden, a thought came into her head. "Thank you."

Twilight realized the armor he was wearing was identical to that worn by the liches. She realized that this was probably the commander of those ponies, in life. Quietly, she replied. "Um...you're welcome? Why are you here?" she asked, knowing that his spirit was supposed to have fled after his shell was broken.

He reared, planting his hooves squarely on the ground. "Debt fulfilled. Savior. Thanks to be given. Gratitude." And with that, he saluted her, and then Morning Star. "Quest will be long. Your path is dangerous. Caution. Caution. Beware the White One. Caution." This was directed squarely at her, she could tell. Morning Star was watching curiously, clearly unable to hear the spirit. The apparition bowed low, clearly awaiting a response. "Freedom. I beg, free us." he said, and suddenly the courtyard was full of ponies, all wearing armor, all bowing in silence. She reeled, seeing not only soldiers, but also mares and foals, the population of the outpost and their families. And they were all waiting for her to do something, anything. Unsure of what to do, she figured that she would do her best to wing it. Twilight knelt, bowing in return.

"I free you from this place. Go, your work is done, your duty finished. I command you, by the royal line you once served. Go now to your true rest, and may you find peace." she said, not exactly sure where the words were coming from. This appeared to be enough. One by one, the soldiers wheeled away, galloping off into the distance, vanishing into the haze. At last, only the unicorn commander was left. With a final glance back, he too trotted away, dignified and proud. Twilight watched him go, catching a very clear glance of his Cutie Mark. It was a five pointed star, wreathed in fire.


________________________________________


"What did he say, Twilight?" Morning Star asked as they headed for the tree line once again. "I only heard your end of it. Obviously he thanked you, but what then?"

"I'm not entirely sure." responded Twilight, her voice low and troubled. "He said something about our quest being long, and the road being dangerous. And something about something we should avoid, called the White One." The going was much swifter downhill, and she was almost positive that they'd be down the cliff in the next hour or so, just in time for lunch. "And then he asked for me to free them, and, well...you saw the rest."

"How did you know what to say to them?" Morning Star said, looking at her confusedly. "That seemed to be oddly specific. Did you know what that was? Or how to free them? And how do you know so much about necromancy? That's black magic, Twi, the very worst. You shouldn't be getting mixed up in it. You'll end up hurting yourself or somepony else!"

Twilight sighed. "Look. I don't know how I knew what to say, I just did. It doesn't make much sense, but that's magic for you. As for why I know so much about necromancy, I read a lot of books, ok? I didn't have many friends growing up, so I spent most of my time reading about something or another, and necromancy happened to pop up a lot. I will never practice it, but I know how to recognize it, and I know how to beat it. There's a lot of dark stuff wandering around these woods, and most of it is hungry. We need to be ready to face anything, and I mean anything."

She hopped up onto a rock, peering through the trees. "Ponies avoid this place for a reason. There's not much in here that won't try to kill you if you don't respect it. I knew a zebra named Zecora who lived in these woods a while back, and she taught all of us in Ponyville to be cautious when we enter these woods. Even now, years later, we still pay attention to what she said."

"What happened to her?" Morning Star asked, following behind.

"She didn't come into town one week, so some of us went to check on her. When we got to her hut, the door was open. We went inside, but there was nothing in there. All the potions, all the herbs, her furniture, all of it was just gone. And there were these shelves, built into the walls, that she had always kept really clean. There was at least an inch of dust on them, and spiders had woven their webs into the corners. Like nopony had lived there for months. We never did find out what had happened, or where she had gone. We had a funeral, but I don't think any one of us thought she had died. She had just...moved on."

They had arrived at the cliff. Twilight turned to Morning Star. "These woods aren't normal. I knew Zecora, she was a good friend of mine. And then one day she just vanished. We need to be careful, or the Everfree will do the same to us."

Morning Star moved up behind her. Taking out his climbing gear, he began to strap it on. First a belt, then the spiked shoes, then the ropes and fasteners. A helmet followed, and he took out a spike to drive into the ground for his rope. Finally, he picked up his saddlebags, fastening them to his back tightly. Twilight did the same, and they both approached the edge of the cliff. "You ready?" he asked, presenting his back to the dizzying drop below them.

"Let's find out!" Twilight replied, and she swung herself down the cliff face.


________________________________________


The climb down was slow. The cliffs were extremely crumbly and prone to falling apart. More than once they would have to reach out to catch each other, when a previously solid-seeming outcropping of rock crumbled when its strength was tested. Dust rained down on them constantly, obscuring their vision and leaving them covered in a fine brown powder. Thankfully, the caves cut into the cliff face were mostly empty, save for the occasional sleeping bat or agitated rodent. As they descended, Morning Star began to enjoy himself. The view was incredible, and there were all sorts of interesting things to look at. A hawk wheeled overhead, its sharp cry skirling into the impossibly blue skies above them. Improbably, he spied a snake in beautiful shades of brown and grey sunning itself on a rock, coiled in slumber. Swinging by a cave, he caught the glimmering eye of a somewhat annoyed owl, perturbed at having its sleep interrupted.

The trip down, slow though it was, seemed to be over too soon for him, as they hit the bottom and retrieved their spikes, stopping for a much deserved lunch. As they opened up cans of beans, the duo relaxed, enjoying the brief rest after the events of the morning. Though they had somehow managed to travel south instead of east as they had planned, the good news appeared to be that they might not have such a long way to go to reach the castle. "I think this is the hardest I've ever had to work for something to archive!" Morning Star joked, laying aside the last of his beans and taking a quick swig of water. "A trek through an apparently haunted forest, battling monsters and getting terribly lost, all for a rubbing."

"Most ponies usually get treasure out of the deal, at least." Twilight teased, nudging him. "We'll be lucky if we find some interesting rocks to take back with us. No magic sword or pile of gold!" She chuckled a little bit, relishing the feel of sitting down and having a full belly. Not even a full day out and she was already homesick. She swore to head straight for the spa when she returned home, already she could feel knots of stress building up along her back. "Although it seems we've already gotten the epic battle out of the way. When do you think we'll have to slay a dragon or outsmart the three witches?" she joked, taking pleasure in his chuckling.

"Now you've done it, you've gone and jinxed us you crazy mare!" Morning Star replied, pretending to cower and putting his hooves over his head. "Although honestly, I feel like we're in a fairy tale. Just because you read about something doesn't mean you believe it, at least not right away. I never thought that I'd do any of this, wandering around in the stacks back home!"

"We are kind of living in a story, aren't we. Really, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that we were just characters in some story, ponies telling it to their foals, laughing as we go from place to place. Certainly feels like it, anyway. An unusual quest, a powerful young hero, a dangerous journey, we really have it all." And with that, Twilight levitated some dirt out of the way, creating a garbage pit. Throwing her can inside, she waited for Morning Star to finish his lunch. When both cans were inside, she cast an entropy spell that would eventually cause them to break down into their composite elements and return to the earth. This accomplished, she moved the dirt back into place, burying the evidence of their meal. Both ponies picked up their saddlebags, and soon enough, they continued into the Everfree, moving ever closer to their destination.


________________________________________


The rest of the afternoon was relatively uneventful. They continued at a decent pace, agreeing to stop either an hour before sundown, or when they reached the edge of the thickest woods. Rich golden light filtered through the leaves above them, and pine needles carpeted their path, interrupted only by the occasional branch or rock. Several times they passed by other paths leading off into the forest, some wide and inviting, others dark and foreboding. All were ignored, as the way ahead seemingly ran straight all the way to their planned rest site. Occasionally the fauna would show itself, a deer with a pitch black coat, or a lizard that seemed normal until it unfurled butterfly wings and flew away. Twilight almost had a nasty run-in with a porcupine that could apparently fire its quills like arrows if annoyed. The bird calls were unfamiliar, some sounding like the screams of a lost filly, others like musical laughter. Morning Star encountered one jewel-colored bird that sang with a voice that reminded him of a violin, oddly enough. The biologist in Twilight was thrilled, but she realized that chasing after birds would both prove unwise and distract them from their quest. Inwardly, she resolved to one day return here, to find these wonderful animals again.

It continued like this for several hours, the light sinking lower and the shadows growing longer. Worried, Twilight thought that they might finish out the day behind schedule. They both agreed to pick up the pace, trotting instead of walking. Finally, they arrived at the edge of the deep woods, tired and ready to make camp. A small fire was started, and a lean-to was constructed in the shelter of a nearby rock. Twilight had somehow managed to secrete a small telescope on her person, which she set up nearby to observe the stars overhead. They ate a hearty dinner of beans and rice, as well as some light bread and a small cup of apple juice apiece. As Twilight observed the stars and noted their position, she noticed Morning Star sketching something by the light of the fire, his pencil lazily moving back and forth in precise, beautiful lines. Curious, she started to wrap up her notation of the celestial bodies, and walked over upon finishing. "What have you got there?" She asked, bending over curiously.

Morning Star jumped guiltily. "This? Oh, um, nothing. Well, obviously something but it isn't finished yet, so...what are you doing? Astronomy? What did you find out?" He was terrible at changing the subject. Twilight pressed forward.

"C'mon, you can show me. Promise I won't laugh. Were you sketching the birds? What was it?" she asked, leaning in closely, eyes sparkling.

"Um. Well, it was...I guess you could say it was, in a way..." he mumbled something under his breath.

"What was that? I didn't quite hear you."

"It was..."

"Yes?"

Morning Star mumbled something that sounded like "ponyfeathers". Reaching for his parchment, he drew out the rolled up paper. Twilight gasped.

It was her. He had been sketching her looking up at the sky, minus her telescope. From the neck down was unfinished, but Twilight saw the sky overhead, full of tiny stars, and the firelight lighting up one side of her face. Her mane was partially done, partially sketched in. It appeared to blend with the night sky, reminding her a bit of Princess Luna. Incredible detail was paid to her face, her eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. Her neck appeared to curve gracefully, and her upturned visage seemed to convey both happiness and loneliness at the same time. The sketch looked amazing. He showed real talent.

"It's...it's beautiful." she said, turning to him. Her eyes shone in the firelight, and she took him in. His mane, his coat, his kind and intelligent eyes. She gazed at his ears perked forward, listening only for her, and at his Cutie Mark, a golden scroll partially unfurled and blank. She thought about his kindness, and his intelligence. He was funny, and nice, and Twilight couldn't imagine life without him. Suddenly, the feeling in her chest made sense. The butterflies, the flushing, it was all crystal clear now.

"No, Twilight. You are." Morning Star said, and he leaned in closer. She met him halfway, their lips touching. Twilight had time for only one thought.

"I'm in love with Morning Star." she thought, and then she was lost in the moment, her eyes closing and her mind going blissfully blank. He tasted like smoke and warm bread. Her hooves found his shoulder, and they each leaned into the other, feeling fur and hair, taking as much of each other as they could in that one moment. The kiss was both eternal, and over far too soon. As they broke apart, each looked at the other in a brand new light, wondering if what they felt was real. Regardless of whether or not it was real, it felt right. And they both looked at one another, under the stars, and smiled, because they had found each other.

"We should go to bed, it's getting late." Morning Star said, breaking the moment. Twilight blinked, blushing.

"Oh, um, yes. It is. I was planning on sleeping out under the stars tonight, what about yourself?" she asked shyly.
"That was my plan as well. Let me move the supplies into the shelter, we can find a good spot in a minute." he replied, levitating the saddlebags under the lean-to and burying their cans. Twilight cast a concealment spell around the camp, ensuring nothing hungry would stumble across them in the night. Turning in place near the fire, she settled down, Morning Star lying next to her. As the fire burned low, they drifted off to sleep looking at each other.

"Good night, Twilight Sparkle."

"Good night, Morning Star."


________________________________________


Several hours later, the campfire had gone out, save for a few glowing embers that served only to remind how dark the surrounding forest was. From a branch overlooking their camp, a small spider descended on a slender thread of silk. Others followed close behind. The leader of this swarm landed on the neck of the mare sleeping with a smile on her face. She shifted a bit in her slumber, perhaps sensing something was wrong. Ever so gently, the spider bit her on the neck, pumping venom into her. The mare's smile deepened, and she slipped into a deeper sleep. Similarly, the stallion was bitten, ensuring that he made no fuss. Tasks accomplished, the arachnids scuttled forward, over and around and under the mare. Exhibiting singular strength, the mare was soon lifted slowly onto a carpet of carapaces and limbs, which swiftly carried her into the pitch black of the deepest woods.

PreviousChapters Next