• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 18,296 Views, 1,334 Comments

Lines and Webs - Airstream



In a world of peace, there must be Order. No matter what the cost.

  • ...
54
 1,334
 18,296

PreviousChapters Next
Of Wings and Wonder

Twilight woke to the smell of cooking food, and the smoke of a cheerfully burning campfire. She sniffed at the air, her stomach growling. Stretching, she winced at the pain that lay on her bones, the first of what would surely be many penalties her body would lay on her for her overexertion yesterday. Her stomach growled once more, another side effect of magic. To avoid drains on the soul itself, magic would take energy from other places if allowed. Her natural reservoir of energy was one of those places, and now it demanded refilling. Turning over to face the fire, she found herself staring at a weathered looking old Pegasus, wearing what appeared to be boiled leather armor, a dagger slung over one hip.

The Pegasus, hearing her movement, glanced over one shoulder, smiling as he turned some sort of skewers over the fire, humming softly. Twilight's eyes widened, as she caught sight of three more hovering just above the camp on silent wings. She came to her hooves, ready to raise an alarm, before she noticed that Spike and Golden Radiance were talking quietly with several others, all Pegasi and all in armor. One of them, noticing she was up, nudged her companion. The pony, a young female about her age, looked up.

"Buongiorno, Miss Sparkle! I am hoping we did not wake you, you looked like you could use the rest. Are you hungry? We have made breakfast if you wish to eat before we leave!" she said, indicating even more Pegasi who were pulling peppers and onions off of the skewers, chattering quietly in a dialect of New Classical.

Twilight realized that if they had meant harm, these ponies would have already done so, and Spike would surely have been able to smell trickery or deception on them before they had even tried to attempt it. Warily, she sat down. Another Pegasus, again moving silently, handed her a skewer of vegetables, which she held lightly, feeling the heat from the fire still on it.

"If you don't mind my asking, and it's not too much trouble, would you be able to tell me who you are and what you are doing in our camp?"

The Pegasus smacked her head, one grey hoof right between her golden eyes. "Le mie scuse, Ms. Sparkle. My name is Tarantella Allegretta. Until recently, I was the daughter of the great Condottiero, Trucco Allegretta. This was his company, now it is mine by right of blood and family. We are the Fiato Danzatore, the Gale Dancers. And yes, Ms. Sparkle, you can trust us. The Night Princess paid us well to deliver you to your destination. Please, eat." she said, gesturing at the skewer. Twilight pulled off a piece of cooled onion, peppered and spiced. Suddenly far beyond ravenous, she began to eat quickly, barely tasting the food. The Pegasus by the fire handed her another, which she took more time with.

Tarantella nodded. "Good, good. Mages eat like ten ponies after hard fighting, and from what your friends tell me you acquitted yourself well."

Twilight paused. "There was nothing good about that. A city burns because of me, and I can never undo the damage I have done."

The Pegasus's face grew serious. Sitting down, she placed one wing over Twilight's shoulders. The unicorn was shocked, as this was normally a gesture used only among families in Pegasus culture. "Giovane mago. I can tell that it rests heavy on your conscience. As it would any sane pony. But there is nothing you can do now, and your journey is not yet done. I am not good with words, but if you should like to discuss it when we arrive at the Castillo, I would be more than happy to help, as would anypony else in this band of mine. Is that not true?" she called, suddenly on her feet once more. "Will you help the Lady Twilight?"

A chorus answered, the troupe cheering "Per il nostro honore!"

She turned, a smile back on her face. "See? They swear by their honor, bought and paid for. We are yours until the end, Ms. Sparkle. Your contract guarantees that much. Now, eat! Mangia, mangia! We have much ground to cover if you are to meet the Princess tonight!"

Twilight nearly choked. "Tonight? Spike, how long was I asleep?"

The dragon looked sheepish. "We fled Filly about two days ago. You went to bed that night and wouldn't wake up, and neither Golden Radiance or myself had any idea what to do. We were about to start panicking when Tarantella flew down with a few Pegasi, and once she convinced us that they were friends, she examined you."

Tarantella nodded. "I have not been in combat with many mages, but I do recognize the signs of overuse among your kind. Simple rest and some food is all that is needed to replenish your energy. But enough talk! Do you wish more to eat? We have plenty!"

The unicorn began to panic. "But I have no idea where to go! I can't teleport us all there!"

Another Pegasus, this one sporting a fine beard, stepped forward. "Mi scusi, Ms. Sparkle. We have a way to get us there tonight, but you must be well rested first. If you are quite sure you have eaten enough, I can begin the procedure."

Twilight raised her hooves in surrender. "Yes, I've eaten enough. I don't know how we are going to cross Equestria by the end of the day, but you seem to know what you are doing. Let's begin."

The stallion beamed. "Eccelente! Brava, Sima! Bring the needles and box!" He turned to her, a smile on his face. "We have not used this in over twenty years. So excited I am to try my hoof at it once more!"

Two Pegasi, presumably Sima and Brava, hurried forward with a small pine box, some needles, and a stool. The stallion gestured for her to sit. "Now, do not worry, Signora. The needles are well boiled and quite clean. That said, this next part will hurt." He turned, calling over his shoulder. "Who is my donatore?"

A clamor arose as several Pegasi stepped forward, each looking eager. However, they were driven off by a few heavy cuffs from Tarantella, who stepped forward to replace them, shouting at them as they ran away laughing. "The nerve of you, taking that honor from me! Zoppori stupido!" She settled by the bearded pony, who looked at her with an amused expression on his face.

"You wish this, Tara? What would your father say?"

"Just do it, Zio Rame. It's my right, and I'm claiming it." she said, blushing a bit.

Rame shook his head, chuckling. "Ah, to be young. Very well, wings out, please."

Tarantella spread her wings wide, their pearlescent hues shimmering in the morning light. Rame plucked two pinion feathers, growing close near the shoulder blades, and held them up to the light. "Beautiful, Tara. These shall do nicely. You may step away, watch if you wish to do so."

The Pegasus captain stood a short distance away, watching with interest as Rame turned back to Twilight. "I advise you relax, Ms. Sparkle. Though I am quick, it is still painful." he said, threading a needle.

Twilight, confused, relaxed her shoulder muscles. Rame laid one feather along her back, extended much the same way Twilight's feathers would, if she had wings. Suddenly, she felt a fiery pain shoot through her back, and she hissed as Rame pulled the thread through her back tightly, binding the feather to her skin. He was fast, Twilight felt five stitches up and down across her shoulder. "Once more, Ms. Sparkle. You are brave, the last pony I did this to screamed like a small filly."

She looked at Spike, who held her gaze reassuringly. Nodding, Twilight felt Rame lay the next feather along her back, and before she could tense up once again, the Pegasus had bound the next feather to her back. This time, Twilight grunted a bit, feeling warm blood trickle down her spine. The bearded warrior held up a small box, removing an odorous paste from inside and smearing the contents across her back, both staunching the wounds and hiding the stitches.

"Now, you will be ready in five minutes. Flex often, it will help you to get used to the new nerves. And remember that you need to feel it, not think it. They'll take care of the rest." And with that, the stallion folded up his stool and packed a small bag, slinging it over his back. "Tara, I'm heading up with the advance party. Catch up when you can, and try not to leave your Altro Ala behind, hey?"

This prompted another furious blush from the mare, who waved him away. The stallion flew off, chuckling. Tarantella turned to Twilight, who was beginning to feel an itching along her back. "Apologies. My uncle is a wonderful surgeon, but a terrible jokester. How do you feel?"

Twilight jumped a bit, feeling oddly light as her back shivered once more. "Odd. What's in that paste, it smells to high heaven!"

Tarantella smiled a bit. "Arrakis sand, several alchemical compounds, fever oil, and dragon shit as a base. Sorry, it's still a work in progresso."

"Ha-ahhh-ahaaahahh! What is this doing?" the unicorn asked, catching something out of the corner of her eye. Whipping around, she saw more grey feathers, and felt a twinge in her shoulders.

Tarantella calmly trotted over, placing one hoof between Twilight's shoulder blades. The mare immediately collapsed at the touch, which felt far more intense than it should have. "Is it not obvious? You have been loaned a pair of wings."

Twilight groaned as she felt something of hers dragging along the ground. Turning, she saw a grouping of purple-tinged grey feathers rapidly sprouting from the one that now wriggled along her back. As she watched in wonder, they grew, from foal sized to filly sized to those of a full grown mare. Experimentally, she flexed, eyes wide with fascination as the wing-no, her wing, raised itself off of the ground.

Tarantella laughed, clapping. "Brava, belissima! Keep that up! Try for a bit of lift next! Leave the ground behind!"
Twilight got to her hooves shakily, watching as Pegasi departed all around her, at least fifty and probably more. She flapped, feeling the powerful downdraft of her newfound appendages ruffle the grass at her feet. Again she flapped, rising a bit off of the ground. Suddenly, it was as if the last piece of a puzzle had fallen into place, and Twilight left the ground behind, rising quickly above the treetops. Spike and Golden Radiance lifted into the air after her, the light paper mare riding on his back, holding onto Twilight's bags. Laughing in exhilaration, Twilight flew higher still, hearing the cheers of the Pegasi around her.

"Atta girl, Signora Twilight!"

"Brava, cavalla!"

"Bellissimo!"

Tarantella rose up beside the mare, hovering on a pocket of warm air. "Well done, Lady Twilight! Come, accompany me to the front. We are about to show you why we are called the Fiato Danzatore!"


________________________________________


Twilight flew alongside Tarantella, who gave a sharp whistle as they reached the front of the "V" they were flying in. The Pegasus turned to Twilight. "Now, remember! Don't try to fight if you get caught in a backdraft! You'll be a bit shaken, but unharmed if you just relax and let your wings do the work! Hai capito?"

Twilight nodded. "Capisco".

The two flew alongside Spike, his powerful wings allowing him to take point without too much effort on his part. As they flew, Twilight felt a gust of wind push at her back, speeding her forward for a bit. Another, this one stronger, pushed her again. Twilight watched as the Pegasi behind her began to channel weather as they flew, packing the sleekest and whitest clouds together into a cone. Spinning it expertly, a small wind was soon generated, making their forward progress easier. As more mass was added, the wind picked up, and the cloud began to darken. Soon, a stiff breeze had turned into a strong wind, and Tarantella tossed Twilight a pair of goggles, indicating that she should wear them. The mare affixed them to her face, seeing those around her doing the same. Spreading her wings wide and gliding, Twilight was just in time to experience why this particular band was called the Gale Dancers.

The cloud behind them turned an ominous black, and the entire company was flung forward by gale force winds, speeding along at speeds that no Pegasi should be going normally. The cone began to feed itself, sucking in passing clouds and thermals with ease, as well as the occasional Pegasus. These latter were shot out of the front, hurled towards the front at incredible speeds, laughing and whooping all the way. Twilight, much to her dismay, began to feel the slipstream tugging at her tail. Fearfully, she glanced at Tarantella, who only nodded reassuringly, giving her a huge grin. Resigning herself to her fate, Twilight allowed herself to be drawn into the cone of wind.

The inside was black and noisy, a jumble of confusion and differing winds that spun her about until the unicorn began to get queasy. Picking up speed, Twilight began to right herself, noticing that she was approaching the tip of the cone at an alarming rate. Flaring her wings, the unicorn shot out of the cone, speeding towards the front once more. Remembering something she had seen Rainbow Dash do once, she pointed her front hooves and furled her wings slightly, corkscrewing past the cheering mercenaries around her. Reaching the front, she spread her wings again, hair mussed and face flushed with triumph.

A mustachioed Pegasus flew by, bumping her hoof with his own. "Well done, piccolo impresario!" he said, and tucked his own wings, falling into the tunnel behind them.

Twilight rejoined the front, as Spike and Golden Radiance cheered. Tarantella swooped from above, flying wingtip to wingtip with her. "Well done, Ms. Sparkle! That was most impressive! You should have been born a Pegasus, I think."

Twilight smiled, mouth opening to receive the compliment. Her expression turned to one of horror, and she dove to a lower altitude, so as to avoid spraying the Pegasi behind her with her vomit.

Embarrassed, she returned to the front of the formation, Tarantella's laughter ringing through the skies.


________________________________________


The flight of Pegasi began to disperse the cloud as they neared their destination, a large valley covered in forest. The group had done something amazing, flying from one end of Equestria to another in a single day. As they spiraled down, their guiding wind dispersing, Twilight noticed torchlight flickering among the trees. She followed Tarantella down through the valley, and landed beside her in a large clearing, watching the wings fall from her back in a forlorn pile of feathers, including the ones sewn to her back. Twilight brushed off the crumbling clay, checking her back. The holes were gone, leaving smooth and unblemished fur behind. A bit saddened, Twilight watched her wings blow away in the wind.

She felt Tarantella standing beside her. "Grazie Mille." she said, as the feathers drifted away. "That was wonderful."

The mercenary captain gave a little bow. "It was my pleasure, Ms. Sparkle. I am glad you enjoyed it. Perhaps one day we shall fly again. For now, come. The Castillo is nearby, and the rest of my family wishes to meet you."

The two mares left the field, chattering and laughing like old friends as the sun dipped behind a mountain, casting shadows over the valley below. As they wound their way through the trees, greeting the sentries among them, again all Pegasi, Twilight noticed that the moon was not out yet, though it should have been. Upon mentioning this to Tarantella, the captain shrugged. "It is Luna's right. I imagine she does it to throw off pursuers should they try to follow her. It will come up, never fear. In the meantime, let us eat. I know you must still hunger, especially after flying. Wait until you meet my mother, she is the best cook in these mountains by far."

Tarantella wasn't making an idle boast. Her mother, a portly mare who spoke only New Classical, was a loud and boisterous Pegasus who smiled constantly and was frying tomatoes, boiling soup, and baking bread all at the same time, expertly shuffling knives, spoons, and serving boards back and forth with the ease born of practice. Though Twilight was fluent in New Classical, this mare spoke much too quickly for her to understand, and once Tarantella joined in, Twilight was left out of the loop entirely. Idly, she allowed her gaze to wander out of the camp, towards a low rise that broke the treetops. Upon it, barely discernible by the sliver of moon peeking over the valley's edge, was a ruined manor, walls crumbled and windows broken. She realized that the house must have at one point belonged to Ultimo and his wife, the nameless Condottieri Pegasus.

And if that were true, then Twilight was probably eating dinner with the remaining family, who refused to abandon this place, either out of fear, or some sense of honor, or perhaps it was simple stubbornness. The thought was oddly comforting to her. Though their family had been struck with tragedy, Tarantella and her mother were still willing to remain loyal to this place. And their family was still strong, even after so many years had gone by.

"Ms. Sparkle!" a voice called, snapping her out of her reverie. "Come, you must eat. And then we ride for the Castillo, so you may meet Luna by midnight." Tarantella trotted out of the darkness, a tray of food balanced on her head. "Please, join us! Good food and company await, a brief rest from your long journey. After we have eaten our fill, you and I shall complete it."

Smiling, the purple mare trotted back into the light of the campfire, to join in laughter and companionship once more, a commodity that was all too precious to her nowadays.

PreviousChapters Next