• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 18,293 Views, 1,334 Comments

Lines and Webs - Airstream



In a world of peace, there must be Order. No matter what the cost.

  • ...
54
 1,334
 18,293

PreviousChapters Next
Of Wrath and Retribution

Twilight covered ground quickly, her reaction time and endurance enhanced by the magic she wielded. However, she was not prepared for the speed and power with which her friends would be moving. Her eyes widened as she sensed Rainbow Dash moving in behind her, her already impressive skill and speed augmented by her Element. Fluttershy moved in close, and Twilight averted her eyes, sure that if she were to make eye contact with the yellow Pegasus, she would be locked down even more tightly than in their first meeting, and that was something she could not afford. Cadance, Shining Armor, and Rarity let loose with a barrage of force and stunning spells, closing in on the purple unicorn. Applejack and Pinkie moved to flank her, and Twilight began to wonder if she may have miscalculated. Flaring her horn, she teleported a short distance away, back towards the direction she had come, and watched as her friends' assaults closed in on an empty space, the Pegasi pulling up to avoid the magical blasts, and AJ planting her hooves to avoid colliding with Pinkie Pie.

Twilight swiftly ripped several rocks out of the ground, pressing them tightly and listening as the relatively brittle stone was compressed into something much stronger, an obdurate lump of earth that would give her assailants pause if they made contact. Wasting no time, Twilight flung them at Applejack, who was closing the distance quickly. The orange Earth pony lowered her shoulder, expecting to feel the rocks break against her newfound strength. However, the hardened stone beat a rapid tattoo against her, knocking her over and causing her to hiss with pain, her skin livid with the force of the blow. Twilight, wasting no time, teleported once more, realizing that she was unable to see Pinkie Pie, which was never good.

Blinking into existence a short distance away, Twilight was not at all surprised to suddenly feel the weight of the pink mare on her back, as the Bearer of Laughter attempted to slow her down long enough to contain her. Twilight fought the instinctive urge to buck her off, instead choosing the route she knew would remove her most efficiently. Twilight teleported once more, directly behind and above her brother, taking Pinkie along for the ride. The sanguine mare, unused to teleportation, slid to the ground queasily, her body struggling to acclimatize to the rapid magical reconstitution used in the spell. Twilight dodged a kick from Shining Armor, and fired a bolt of magic at Cadance before leaping backward to avoid Rainbow Dash's counterattack, as she landed with enough force to crater the ground. Twilight realized that she would have to change her plan if she was to escape, as her friends were giving her no openings to attack from.


________________________________________


The Equestrian Fifth Fleet was the prize of the north, the largest gathering of airships in existence, tasked with preserving peace near Fillydelphia and the Quilinese Islands. Its crew members had faced pirates, storms, even the occasional Minotaur assault. Nothing had prepared them for this. Spike, in his jealous rage, soared among them, fire and ruin spilling from his jaws. His claws shredded rigging and crushed the hardened sides of the vessels with murderous ease, sending those crew members unlucky enough to be born without wings screaming to their deaths. A frigate, one of the most powerful and feared Naval vessels, unleashed a full broadside with its lightning guns, which impacted the dragon squarely on one side. Spike bellowed, past coherent speech, and turned his attention to the vessel. Landing on the deck, he ripped the top layer of wood off entirely, exhaling fire into the decks below. The screams of burning ponies filled the air, and Spike turned his breath to the gas bag at the top, letting the flame play over every magically reinforced inch of the sack. He took to the air once more, as the fabric was finally unable to contain the heat, and the frigate exploded, killing everypony on board.

He knocked several pursuing Pegasi out of the air with contemptuous ease, following them down to the assembled ranks below. Ponies scrambled for cover, and he felt a very few spells ricochet off of his armored hide as he inhaled deeply, letting fire flow out of his jaws once more. The soldiers below burned, screaming in pain and fear as the armor they wore fused to their blackened bodies, their protection causing them only more agony. Spike landed, crushing one bulky Earth pony underneath his claws. Springing off of the hardened earth, he took to the air once more, his tail lazily obliterating the top of the College's clock tower. A flight of Air Corps Pegasi, moving fast, sped toward the dragon, who simply tucked his wings, spiraling through their midst in a rapid blur of claws and teeth, a bloody mist trailing behind him as the Pegasi were eviscerated. Once more his attention turned to the airships above, one of which was preparing to fire on Golden Radiance. Spike roared in challenge, and sped off to annihilate the vessel entirely.


________________________________________


Golden Radiance moved through the assembled ranks quickly, her horn flashing as she cut down those in front of her easily. Those who attempted to flee simply died, those who attempted to hold their ground died painfully, and those that attempted to fight died horribly. Her magic was strong, and her body stronger. She wheeled, feeling a kick from one Earth pony that had tried to dent her papery hide. Her eyes flared, and the stallion began to blister from the inside out, screaming horribly all the while. Blinking out of existence, she reappeared under a veil, directly behind one unicorn stallion who suddenly found himself buried alive, his horn simply removed as if with the passing of a sharp blade. Focusing, she began to siphon heat away from one pony in front of her, placing it in the body of his comrade. Both collapsed as one died of shock and the other's body boiled away from overheating. Calling more power to herself, she split the earth in front of her, fifty stallions screaming as it swallowed them whole. Her veil flickered and died as she cast a massive hallucinogenic spell over the ponies in front of her, each of whom collapsed screaming, trapped in their own personal nightmare. Within a minute, they would work themselves into fatal heart attacks.

A boot of azure magic sped through the air, catching her squarely on the chin. The unicorn who had cast it grinned triumphantly as she rocked back, apparently in pain. His grin faded as he noticed his spell skittering across her hide, blue lightning sinking into her as she turned towards him. His mouth opened in a scream as his own spell returned, blasting his horn into smithereens as it worked its way into his skull. Golden Radiance sighed as she turned from the collapsing pony, moving on to her next targets.


________________________________________


Twilight glanced up at the collapsing airships, the beginnings of a plan taking shape in her head. She dodged several bolts of magic from her friends, choosing instead to run full tilt towards the spot where the flaming airship was going to land. Bits of burning wood and smoking metal peppered the going around her, as she felt somepony big, probably Applejack, charging after her. The airship was right on top of her, and she leapt into the air, spinning to face her assailant as she teleported once more, taking her beyond the impact zone of the ship. Her eyes widened as she saw that it was not Applejack who had followed her. It was her brother, who looked up in horror as the wreckage of the airship came down on top of him. Planting his hooves, he tried to form one of his signature shields, and Twilight lost track of him as he was buried under ten tons of burning debris.

Cadance was screaming as she desperately began to lift off the remains of the airship off of her husband, and Twilight shook herself, realizing exactly what she had done. Her horn flared as she began to reach for what strength she had, and piece by piece the airship lifted itself into the air. Twilight held the mass of twisted metal and burning wood high in the air as Cadance darted inside, retrieving Shining Armor. At last, Twilight let the ship drop, and realized that she now had her chance. She cleared her mind, reaching for the crystal around her neck, and began to sift through the vast repository of knowledge it now contained, searching for one particular spell. Finding it, she reviewed the contents quickly and returned to reality. Performing each step flawlessly, Twilight sent magic through the earth beneath her, which began to rumble and crack. Noxious vapors spilled forth, wriggling across the ground. Twilight began to channel more Breaking magic through her horn, watching as it poured into the cracks. What she was attempting was very old, very dangerous, and very powerful, one of the most rare of enchantments. Twilight waited until the ground was supersaturated with magic, and then she spoke the words needed to complete her casting, words that had not been spoken since Starswirl himself had walked the earth. "Ata Bra Golem Devuk Hakhomer VeTigzar Zedim Chevel Torfe Yisroel!"

A massive arm of clay and stone burst from the ground, each finger easily as big as Twilight's torso. A twin forced its way from the mud, and Twilight took a step back as a brutish head, that of a wolf, rose from the deeps, its eyes burning with black fire. A massive torso followed, and at last the thing stood over them all, easily a hundred meters high and waiting for instructions. Twilight could see her friends getting ready to deal with this new threat. Closing her eyes, Twilight gave it the instructions necessary to ensure their escape, and sealed the directive inside of its primitive mind. It rumbled with force enough to rattle the teeth in her skull, speaking the language of the deep earth. The elemental stepped forward, with one purpose in mind, Twilight's orders repeating in its very core. "Keep the Elements and Princess occupied. Do not harm them. Above all, make sure that they do not follow us."

"What have I done?" she thought, as the golem lumbered forward, the Elements moving to engage it. "I may have just killed my brother...is what I'm doing worth it?" Shaking her head to rid herself of the thoughts, she began to move, veiling herself to avoid suspicion. Having been wrapped up in her own battle, she had failed to see what damage she had wrought to the College. The direction Golden Radiance had assaulted was little more than a smoking and charred field of corpses, and she could hear the aerial combat raging above her, watching in horror as unicorns plummeted to the ground, and their shipmates who could still fly tried desperately to save them. As she watched, a cruiser in retreat that had been listing to one side, smoke coming from its gunports, exploded, causing debris to rain down on the ponies finding cover below. She caught sight of a sobbing Cadance laboring to save Shining Armor, whose breathing was labored and shallow. As she sprinted by, she caught sight of his mangled back and face, and the stump where one of his hooves used to be. She wanted nothing more than to help, but she hardened her heart and kept running, desperately trying to find Golden Radiance.

Her hooves worked doubly trying to keep their balance on the blanket of corpses she found herself running over. Catching sight of the mare, she gasped. Golden Radiance had what forces were remaining in a rout, sucking stone after stone down as she channeled vast power in a massive assault, annihilating whole regiments in flashes of light. "Golden Radiance!" Twilight called. The mare looked over, ceasing her assault. Her eyes widened at the sight of the golem, which roared and knocked Fluttershy out of the air with a mighty blow. Twilight finally caught up to the construct.

"We need to go. I can't hold off the Elements and Cadance forever, and you can bet that when the Guard detachment my brother brought along gets here, they'll be a damn sight more difficult to deal with. I'm getting Spike and them we're heading east. Come on!" And with that, the two raced across the war zone that was the College, heading for its easternmost edge.

"Spike!" she called, magically enhancing her voice. "Break off, let's go!"

The dragon looked at her, and without looking back disengaged from the vessel he had been dismantling, leaving it to limp to safety. His form began to lose mass as he flew, the power and fury exchanged for speed and precision. Flaring his wings, he landed heavily by her side, the three of them running once again. Twilight caught sight of Applejack who veered to intercept them. The golem turned, a small portion of itself falling into one hand. For the second time that day, the Bearer of Honesty was battered with rocks, the force of the blow carrying her over the trio's heads. Twilight's friend bounced along the ground limply, heading straight for one of the crevices left by Golden Radiance’s attacks. Twilight reached out with her magic, catching the cowpony by one hoof and slinging her roughly away, sighing with relief when she slid to a stop away from the combat, her orange flame extinguished.

The trio sped away from the fighting, Twilight using magic to give them the energy to run. It was barely enough. They had overextended themselves, and exhaustion was setting in. It was a stroke of luck that they had kept the packs, but until they escaped the city limits there was no way they could begin to think of resting. And between them and the safety of the foothills they would be crossing to get to the northeastern mountains was a gate with guards and heavy defenses. Twilight drew on the energy of the crystal as they approached, hearing the alarms of the guards as they scrambled to man their defenses. There was no way out save through the gate, so Twilight regretfully released the spell she had dreaded having to use, watching as each guard slumped over, clots forming in their brains and stopping their hearts instantly. Another bolt of force liquefied the stone of the gate, which crumbled and collapsed just before they passed through it. Out in the open, they spread out, as the lightning guns of the airships began to fire, trying to get their range. Twilight's horn flared again, and she stumbled as yet more power poured into the air around her. Clouds formed overhead with unnatural speed, and a wind began to sweep over the plain, picking up speed as they went. Golden Radiance formed a shield against the wind, which began to pick up in earnest. Twilight pushed harder than ever, and the three friends flew across the plains, the city left far behind as a funnel cloud stretched towards the ground, a massive tornado that stood in place, preventing any of the damaged ships from pursuing them.

As Twilight ran, she could hear Cadance's voice, louder than the howl of the wind around them, from the burning city behind. "Twilight! Is this what you wanted? Is this enough for you? I hope you're happy, because I'm going to make sure you answer for this, all of it! I promise, Twilight! I promise!"


________________________________________


It wasn't until the sun had finally dipped past the horizon, throwing the land into shadow, that Twilight let her magic loose, slumping to the ground in exhaustion. Even after they could no longer hear the storm behind them, or the sounds of battle, they had continued to run. Twilight's elemental, strong as it was, would not have lasted more than an hour, and less than that if the Elements had been joined by Cadance. So they had run, as fast as they could while the city of Fillydelphia fought fires and cared for its wounded, and Twilight further cemented herself as a monster in Equestria's eyes.

They made camp for the evening in a small patch of woods, and risked a fire in order to cook food and boil water from a murky pool nearby, rendering it safe for drinking. The mood that night was somber, as each of the companions realized exactly what they had done. Golden Radiance had destroyed hundreds of lives, ripping them away from the world without thought for their homes, or families, or lovers. She had killed them without hesitation, pity, or remorse. If what Twilight had said about her family was true, and the Guard truly had murdered her and her family, then what she had done was no better. She hadn't given any stallion among them the chance to run, she had merely slain without thought for those around her, without care for them, as if they were toys to be broken and cast aside like trash.

Spike stared at his claws, which were caked with blood even after he had tried to scrub them off in the nearby pool. The fact that he had dismantled an entire fleet of airships, while frightening in its own right, wasn't what bothered him most. What bothered him was the fact that it felt right somehow, that he had, deep down, enjoyed what he was doing. He remembered the coppery tang of blood on his tongue, the feel of ripping through helpless unicorns and Pegasi, and he realized that it had felt good. They had feared him as the dragon he was, and he had showed all of them what it truly meant to fight against one of his kind. He growled softly, and turned in on himself, coiling up and trying to forget what atrocities he had committed.

Twilight was worst off by far. Every time she closed her eyes, she saw her brother looking up at the wreckage of an airship that was about to crush him, or the expression of horror on Cadance's face as she tried to stem the bleeding and soothe his burns, or Shining Armor's broken and battered body lying terribly still, fighting for life. Twilight Sparkle could no longer deny it. If she were to show her face again, anywhere in any city in Equestria, she would be branded a monster, a criminal, and a murderer. She sniffed, fighting back tears. Regardless of what she had said, she had never wanted anything to happen to Shining Armor. Or her friends. Even if it meant that they were now pursuing her, Twilight still hoped that her friends were alive and unharmed.

She couldn't believe what she was prepared to do. Applejack had a foal, and Pinkie was expecting! What right did she have to take that away from them? And it wasn't just them. Each of her friends had lives, and lovers, and hopes and dreams far beyond hers. It wasn't her place to take that from them, any more than it was Celestia's right to take her life away from her. Or was it? Twilight was fighting a goddess, one who moved the sun in the sky and wielded power over all of Harmony. How could she possibly fight against her teacher, the immortal monarch of Equestria, even with help? Celestia had imprisoned Luna for a thousand years with the Elements of Harmony at her side, who was to say she wouldn't do it again? And Twilight would deserve it at that point, too.

The mare chided herself for thinking that way. If she was correct in her assumptions, (and she was, the logic was flawless), then Celestia was nowhere near the perfect monarch Twilight had thought her to be. She was apparently prepared to trade her life for that of a foal she was not going to have, something she had already done in the past. She had done something to her friends, that much was certain. The Bearers pursuing her were no more her friends than Celestia was a normal pony. They were something else at this point, and Twilight was certain from the way they acted that her friends were no longer entirely in control of themselves.

A horrible thought occurred to her. Was she? The magic she had been using looked disturbingly similar to some of the magic she had seen Nightmare Moon using, back before that entity had been banished by her and her friends. She recalled the many passages she had read on dark magic, necromancy and mind control and many others, magic that seemed to offer the world on a silver platter, all for the low cost of your soul, leaving you as nothing more than an unfeeling, psychotic, and entirely too powerful killing machine. Was Twilight following that path? She could never see herself doing the things she had just done before she had started using Breaking magic, but she had also never imagined having to fight half an army and an Alicorn, not to mention the Elements of Harmony. Troubled, she used some of the meditation techniques Celestia had taught her, trying to center herself. Soon, she slipped into restless sleep.


________________________________________


Fillydelphia Medical Center was one of the finest institutions in Equestria, as well as one of the largest. That being said, tonight it was full, with all staff present and working overtime to treat the almost one thousand beds full of wounded soldiers, saving the ones they could and easing the passage of the ones they couldn't. Sadly, there were far more of the latter than the former. Healing magic only went so far, and even with the added assistance of the College and the Regular Medical Corps, many ponies went untreated as doctors worked furiously to staunch wounds, treat shock, and ease pain. The hospital was filled with noise, from the urgent shouts of the doctors to the groans of the wounded and dying to the sobs of loved ones clinging to those briefly covered with bloody sheets before being wheeled away to make room for others.

One corner of the hospital, however, was silent save for the beeping of an EKG and the hum of a respirator. The stallion resting on a bed inside had just been put through an extremely radical surgery, one the doctors had been hesitant to perform until a scroll sealed with the insignia of Celestia herself had appeared and ordered it. By his side was his wife, who had refused to leave his side after he was wheeled out of the room, and had indeed fallen asleep holding his hoof in her own, her normally beautiful face streaked with tears and drawn with exhaustion. She was alone, the Bearers of Harmony beginning their pursuit of Twilight Sparkle right after they had finally brought the golem to its knees, leaving the shattered city to fend for itself as they began to track her. They had angled their pursuit towards Canterlot, pulling away from the mountains in order to bring Twilight in.

So it was that Princess Mi Amore di Cadenza slept the silent sleep of one performing the duties of a guardian angel, waiting on her Shining Armor to wake up, hoping against hope that the procedure had gone as planned. She was woken by a gentle stirring from the bed, the first time he had moved since he was brought into the hospital. Her eyes fluttered open as she looked at the stallion she loved sit up and look around groggily. "Cadance?"

Her face lit up. "Shining Armor!" She kissed him, gentle tears of joy falling from her face. "Thank Celestia you're alright! I was so worried..."

"What happened? I can't...I don't...how did I get here? The last thing I remember was Twily heading for the field, and she was about to get hit by the airship...I had to protect her."

Cadance's face darkened. "It was a trap, to lure one of us in and give herself extra time. I think she intended for me to be the one underneath, not you. She threw the airship off of you before she left."

"Then...she's still in there, somewhere. Somewhere inside of her, Twilight is still there. We can still convince her that Celestia knows what she's doing. How are...the soldiers? What happened to them?"

"The three of them accounted for eight hundred deaths, as well as two hundred civilian deaths between them. Wounded is a little over three times that, but most of them...Shining, most of them won't make it. They were thorough. You're lucky, we were able to help you."

Shining Armor's brow furrowed. "Why is my vision fuzzy? And I'm having trouble feeling one of my legs. Breathing's a bit difficult too."

The Princess levitated a small mirror from the bedside table. "You were almost dead, Shining Armor. They had to replace a few things...but everything will eventually work exactly the way it's supposed to. And I still love you, no matter what. Just remember that." And with that, she gave him the mirror.

Shining Armor's breath caught in his chest. One side of his face was gone, including one eye, which had been replaced with a copy of steel and glass, fused flawlessly into the bronze half-mask that had replaced half of his once-proud visage. It glinted with magic, Cadance's familiar teal magic powering the device. He threw off the sheets, seeing what other changes had been wrought to his body while he slept. His front had been fitted with adamantium plating, a cunningly layered piece of armor that provided more flexibility and protection than any plate he had worn before. His left front leg was gone, replaced with more of the same metalwork. Shining Armor stared at the thing he had become.

"Celestia approved the procedure almost instantly. If everything goes as planned, you'll be even stronger and faster than you were before the crash." Shining Armor was silent. "It was the only option, they were saving the parts for another soldier but he had recently died. The surgeons here aren't as good as the ones in Canterlot, and it was either this or you dying. Do you hate me?" Cadance asked, unable to feel what her husband was thinking.

Shining Armor turned to his wife. "Hate you? No, I could never hate you. This will just take some getting used to, is all. As long as you're with me, I know I can make it through this." And with that, the two kissed, ready to face the world together once more.


________________________________________


E' lei?

Si, penso di si.

Dobbiamo portarla alla Principessa, giusto?

Si, luna pagherà bene per averla..

Non svegliari lei o il drago. Li avvicineremo domani mattino.

Certo. Lo la guardio. Rimanete attenti, non vogliamo essere preso.

PreviousChapters Next