• Published 7th Jul 2017
  • 9,346 Views, 1,058 Comments

My Little Academia: Friendship is Heroic! - Fullmetal Pony



Twilight Sparkle wants to be a hero. She didn't expect the most powerful hero in Equestria to lend her a hoof. She's now set on the path of legends, but it's not going to be an easy one. My Hero Academia Crossover

  • ...
45
 1,058
 9,346

PreviousChapters Next
Fluttershy: Origin

Twinkle Shimmer grinned. “It’s been fun, but time for everypony to get a taste of what a real hero can do.”

Jack Pot turned his nose up at her. “My daughter still put on a good show.”

“And you’re lucky my Glimmy-wimmy isn’t facing your daughter,” said Firelight. He grinned at Twinkle. “Unless, of course, you think your kid can make it all the way to the finals.”

“Of course I do,” Twinkle snorted. “Just you watch, my Sunset is going to tear through the competition!”

A few rows below, Swirly Shy and Blossom shuddered upon hearing Twinkle’s declaration. Fluttershy’s letters had mentioned how intimidating Sunset was, and hearing Twinkle’s confidence in Sunset deepened their concern.

~~~

Sunset got up just as Dash disappeared into the hallway leading to the green room. She strode by Fluttershy and glared at her. “Just so you know, I won’t hold back, yellowbelly.”

She stomped off before Fluttershy could respond and disappeared into the corridors under the seats. Applejack snorted at the exit and put a hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder. “Don’t let her get to you, sugarcube. You can take her!”

“You managed it back at the WTF.” Twilight lit up her horn. The air popped, and a notebook appeared at her side. She floated it over to Fluttershy. “I like to keep track of Talents, so I take notes on almost everypony I meet. I’ve known Sunset since we were foals, so I have potential strategies on how to b—”

Fluttershy pushed the notebook to the side. There were trails down her cheeks from tears, but her eyes were now clear and focused. “Thank you, Twilight, but this is something I have to do on my own. If… if Rainbow Dash wants to prove she can get by without using her Talent, then I’ll need to prove to her just how important a Talent and pegasus magic is.”

“Fluttershy…” said Twilight.

Fluttershy managed to summon a small grin. “Besides, I have my animals’ help and my friends cheering me on.”

Applejack gave her a slap on the back. “Darn straight!”

“Give her what for!” said Rarity.

“Take her down a peg!” said Spike.

“Go, go, go Fluttershy!” Pinkie chucked a pompom into the air. “Go, go, go Fluttershy!”

Twilight smiled and sent the notebook away. “Alright, Fluttershy, you’ve got this.”

“Thank you.” Fluttershy spread her wings and flew off into the corridors.

~~~

Fluttershy stared at Sunset. Sunset glared back. Only Rockhoof separated them. Vinyl’s voice rang out, “It’s a bit of bad luck for Class 1-A, this is the first but not the last time they’ll facing their classmates! Both fighters have unique Talents, so this should be quite the rumble with Fluttershy versus Sunset Shimmer!”

“This is your last chance, yellowbelly,” Sunset snorted. “Back out now or I’ll deck you into next week.”

Fluttershy managed to keep her head raised and her eyes locked on Sunset. “I’m sorry, but I can’t run from this. Somepony needs me to bring some sense back to her.”

“That an insult?”

~~~

“Hey, Twi?” asked Applejack. “What would you have told Fluttershy anyway?”

“Pinkie, dear? Could you summon some earplugs? I’d rather follow Fluttershy’s example.” Rarity grabbed the earplugs, but before putting them in, she turned to Applejack. “I think it’s fine if you listen though, since Sunset is facing Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Twilight, or myself. I’m sure even with her abilities, one of us can beat her.”

After Rarity affixed the earplugs, Twilight said, “Sunset has worked to counter common unicorn weaknesses. She has the physical strength to fight in close combat. She relies on spells that are easy to cast but pours enough magic into them to overwhelm her opponents. If she’s given enough time though, there’s no telling what spells she might launch. Finally, she’s got thaumic reconfiguration, which turns her whole body into a channel for her spells, not just her horn, but it takes time to charge. I’m also not sure how well she can handle it without her armor. With Fluttershy’s skillset, her best bet would probably be to blitz Sunset, weather any attacks she manages to fire off, and try to ring her out.”

“Hmm.” Applejack put a hoof to her chin. “Sounds like Fluttershy is in for a rough fight no matter how you look at it.”

~~~

Rockhoof jumped back and raised his shovel. Its clang sounded in Sunset and Fluttershy’s ears. “Begin!”

Sunset immediately fired a blast at Fluttershy. Fluttershy rolled to the side, but Sunset was already upon her with a foreleg reared back. She brought it down with flames trailing around it, but Fluttershy blocked with a wing. The feathers around Sunset’s hoof smoked and caught fire.

At the same time, Fluttershy’s legs thickened and her tail coiled into a ball. Her ears grew out to complete the transformation. Sunset’s attack and gravity drove her towards Fluttershy with her torso exposed. Fluttershy bucked and Sunset went flying.

Fluttershy sprung after her. The force of her jump cracked the ring’s tiles and squelched the flames on her wing. She kept her body tightly compacted and aerodynamic. Instead of flapping her wings, she kicked the air, rocketing past Sunset. She kicked again, ricocheted back at Sunset, and caught her midair with a foreleg to the side.

Sunset snarled and fired off a blast, but Fluttershy kicked, vanished, and reappeared to Sunset’s left. She thrusted her legs again and again while forcing the air to solidify enough for her to spring off of. Sunset lashed out with a whip of flames, but Fluttershy turned into a yellow streak that Sunset could not keep up with. Swift blows hammered her from all angles and kept her up in the air.

“She’s using that?” Blossom gasped.

“If she’s already pulling out Angel, then she’s really serious,” said Swirly.

“‘Angel?’” Night Light asked.

“Her closest pet,” Swirly explained. “Our daughter’s Talent works better the closer she is with an animal. Plus, she’s had the longest time to understand how to use Angel’s traits.”

“And with the way she’s manipulating the air, it looks like she’s got Sunset on the ropes,” said Bow.

“Get her, Shy!” Pinkie raised a pompom. “Also, go Sunset, you can take her!” Noticing the stares from her friends, she grinned and shrugged. “What? I’m Class President, I gotta root for all my constituents.”

“Glad I’m used to moving fast like that, otherwise I’d have trouble seeing what’s going on.” Applejack glanced at Rarity, Twilight, and Spike. “Y’all watching this okay?”

“There are some spells Rarity and I could use,” said Twilight, “but I’d rather save my strength.”

Rarity nodded.

“Even if I can’t see Fluttershy, this is pretty crazy to watch,” said Spike.

Nearby, Dash stood in the shadows of the exit leading out to the participants’ section. She followed Fluttershy’s movement and pressed her lips tight.

While Fluttershy continued pinballing around Sunset, Vinyl commented, “And I thought we saw speed in the last match! Keep your eyes sharp, folks, Fluttershy is going too fast for me to track! How about you, Tantabus?”

“It’s an impressive technique. I’ve had my reservations about Fluttershy, but when push comes to shove, she’s proven to be a formidable opponent. However…” Tantabus gazed down at the fight. His eyes jolted around to match Fluttershy’s blinding pace, but then settled on Sunset in the center of the assault. “Sunset will not go quietly.”

“Err.” Sunset clenched her jaw. Her horn lit up and a glow surrounded her body. Fluttershy struck her side, but flames burst off Sunset and raced up Fluttershy’s leg. She kicked back and allowed the air pressure to douse the flames. She reared up her left hind leg, but something tugged at her smoking right hoof.

A glistening orange string ran taught from Fluttershy’s hoof to Sunset’s horn. The glow around Sunset’s horn brightened. “Enough hopping around.”

Fluttershy tried to kick back, but the string yanked her up before she could. It swung her left and right, making her eyes swim in their sockets. After a few seconds of ragdolling Fluttershy, Sunset jerked her head down, adding greater force to the pull, and slammed Fluttershy into the ring.

Wasting no time, she channeled a burst of magic out of her horn. It traveled along her thaumic string in a large bulge that zipped toward Fluttershy. The spell hit Fluttershy before she could pull away. A blast consumed her and sent up a cloud of smoke.

“No mercy from her,” said Suri. “I’ll need to be careful.”

“Fluttershy merits that kind of ceaseless attack.” Starlight rested a hoof on her chin. “Give either of those two an inch and you’re in trouble.”

Sunset pulled on the string and launched herself at the same time. She coiled a foreleg and readied it to strike Fluttershy. Flames danced off it just as Fluttershy appeared out of the smoke. She appeared limp, but Sunset continued to reel her closer. A second before she made contact, Sunset spotted leathery wings and a shimmering tail. She tugged Fluttershy to the left and struck her tail before its pseudo-stinger pierced her. The modified tail hair burst into flames.

A clawed hoof slammed Sunset in the gut while she was concentrated on Fluttershy’s tail. The blow knocked her back and snapped the string connecting her to Fluttershy. Fluttershy pounced on Sunset like a manticore on its prey and raised a hoof to maul her. Her claws crashed into Sunset but did not break the skin of her right shoulder. Instead, they pressed against a thin veil of aura that shimmered around Sunset.

Smoke coiled off Fluttershy’s claws and her hoof turned red. She jumped back while Sunset got to her hooves. The air around her distorted. Sweat collected on her forehead and then burst into steam. A few beads also appeared on Fluttershy’s brow.

Sunset charged at Fluttershy. Fluttershy twisted what remained of her tail hair back into a shorter pseudo stinger. She lashed it out at Sunset and the tip managed to pierce through Sunset’s shield and into her left shoulder. Blood welled up and instantly boiled while Fluttershy’s tail went up in flames.

“That is a pretty useful spell Sunset has going,” said Vinyl.

Tantabus glanced at Vinyl. “You don’t use shield spells much in combat, do you?”

“Why do you bring that up?”

“Because Sunset has put herself on a time limit.”

Fluttershy pulled back and swished her tail’s dock to put out the flames. With her stinger gone, she glared at Sunset and bounded at her. Sunset scowled and raced to meet Fluttershy. Claws rained down on Sunset while parts of Fluttershy’s legs and body got scorched. The patches of burnt fur stacked up fast on Fluttershy while Sunset collected cuts, but her barrier kept them from getting deep. Smoke rose out of her wounds as they cauterized.

“Come on, Fluttershy.” Twilight bit her lip. “You just need a little more time.”

“What are you and Mr. Tantabus talking about?” Applejack asked.

Twilight kept her eyes on the fight. She noted some smoke rising up across Sunset’s body, even where she was not injured. “Fluttershy pushed her into a corner. She didn’t have enough time to cast a proper shield spell. It was the same when I fought Trixie. A shield around your body can’t absorb attacks as well. On top of that, she’s mixed in a fire attribute. Sunset may be skilled with those types of spells, but even she can’t properly regulate it next to her skin in the heat of battle. That shield may give her some offense on top of defense, but it’s the only thing she could use.”

“Whoa!” Pinkie exclaimed. “So Fluttershy just has to keep attacking and she’ll win?”

“I wish it were that easy.” Twilight furrowed her brow. More smoke rose off Sunset, yet she did not let up in trading blows with Fluttershy. Fluttershy’s claws also smoked and her hooves glowed red. Both were gasping for air. “I’ve never seen Sunset fight like this.”

“Just shows Fluttershy is giving it her all.” Spike raised a claw. “Keep it up, Fluttershy!”

Dash remained hidden, but she had tensed up.

A surge of pain went up Fluttershy’s leg. She jumped back and saw that her claws had chipped off and her hoof had cracked from the heat. Taking up a stance, she took a breath. Feathers started appearing on her wings again and her forelegs lost musculature, but her hind legs gained more. Before she could complete the transformation, Sunset was upon her.

“I told you, no more hopping.” The aura around Sunset suddenly flowed into her right foreleg. Fluttershy’s eyes shrunk when it turned crimson.

“She was double-casting!” Twilight yelped. All that smoke from using the fire shield masked the strain on her horn!

“Die!” Sunset declared and then struck Fluttershy. The blast consumed her. The shockwave knocked a few ponies in the front row out of their seats.

“Fluttershy!” her parents and friends cried out.

Dash managed to keep her own cry from escaping but she rushed out into the stands and pressed up against the railing.

“Bit of brutal language there,” said Vinyl. She glanced away from the cloud Sunset’s attack had cloaked the ring in and over to Rockhoof. He remained in his seat. “Nothing actually fatal it seems.”

Sunset stood in the middle of the smoke and kept her leg bright. Within the haze, she could not see how far she had knocked Fluttershy. She was not willing to expose herself for the brief moment of blindness casting a spell on her eyes would cause. Then, something moved to the right. She pounced and struck out with her leg.

Another blast went off and scattered the smoke. Sunset felt something pushing against her hoof. Claws pierced through the aura cloaking her leg. Flames ate at the claws, but they no longer smoked. They were thinner now and glistened. Fluttershy’s hoof did change color from the intense heat coming off Sunset’s leg.

With the smoke clearing, the audience gasped.

“No way,” said Spike.

Twilight’s eyes widened. She glanced at Spike and then back at the ring. “That’s…”

“No,” Dash whispered so quickly, it did not even register to her own ears.

Slitted eyes glared at Sunset. A few rays broke through clouds and shimmered off the scales that ran across Fluttershy’s back and down her legs. They also lined her thickened tail. She snorted, and trails of smoke came out of her nose.

“She tamed a dragon?!” Swirly gasped.

“No, remember her letters.” Blossom scanned around the colosseum and spotted Spike. “She made friends with a dragon!”

“I know I get scared easy, and I like to run away.” Fluttershy gripped down on Sunset’s leg, drawing blood. “That’s why I can never thank my friends enough.”

“What does that have to do with anything?” Sunset snarled. The glow vanished from her right leg and transferred to her left. She pivoted and flung her hoof at Fluttershy’s head. Another blast went off, but Fluttershy stood strong even with Sunset’s hoof digging into her face. It smashed up against the scales on the bridge of her nose, but she did not budge.

“I’m sorry, Sunset, but my friend needs me right now!” Fluttershy pulled Sunset close and slammed her head against Sunset’s. She then let go of Sunset’s leg. While Sunset fell, Fluttershy spread her claws wide and uppercutted straight into Sunset’s chest. “Dragon strike!”

Author's Note:

Have a nice MLK weekened, everyone!

PreviousChapters Next