• Published 30th Jun 2017
  • 1,243 Views, 12 Comments

My Brave Pony Starfleet Magic: Season VI - DakariKingMykan



All of Starfleet's prisoners break loose, and a wicked mayor plans genocide

  • ...
81
 12
 1,243

Episode 24: A Royal Duel to the Death: Part 1

EPISODE TWENTY-FOUR

Several days had passed since their majesties had their heated argument. Whatever it was which started the whole mess was still anybody’s guess, but that wasn’t the worst of things…!

News of the argument had reached the public. It was on the front page of practically every newspaper and magazine, and one of the pictures on headline was that of Grand Ruler Celesto just having struck Queen Celestia across her face.

“This is absurd!”

“There has to be a mistake.”

Ponies and other creatures tried desperately to deny what they heard of and read, but things only worsened as they story also read: “Discussions for royal divorce have been confirmed!”

Citizens and officers were really starting to fall into a panic and worry. Many did not wish for the royal family to breakup, many others were trying to investigate as to what started all this and figure a way to stop it, but there was just no evidence, and their majesties… any time someone tried to inquire what happened, they stubbornly and furiously refused any comment.

Even the royal staffs were growing especially worried when they seemed to hear or walk in on their majesties arguing and yelling with one another, even starting to pose potential threats towards one another.

“I ruled this kingdom for a-thousand years before you ever came back into my life!” Celestia snarled.

“Ha! I used to think you were strong and able, but now I see just how weak you really are!” protested Grand Ruler “I could destroy you easily if I was given the chance!”

Enraged, Celestia raised her hand and slapped her husband clear across his face, the same way he had done to her. Grand Ruler looked her dead in the eyes with such fury, “You’ve made many mistakes, Celestia… but I swear, that was you final, gravest of errors, and you will regret it!”

Celestia remained unfazed and the two of them now felt extreme infuriation towards one another.

Princess Luna was extremely worried about all this, and sent a message to Lightning in a letter, telling him he was to come to the palace at once, however… she told him to come totally alone, even Krysta would not be allowed to warp him... and the entire letter was written in her brother-in-law’s handwriting and signed it with his signature!




When Lightning got it, he was with all his friends.

Lightning, not knowing whom really sent the letter, angrily clutched the letter in his hands, “Why in the name of the universe is this happening?!” he shouted. The others all winced as if he were addressing them for a confession. “I… I’m sorry.” he said in a calm voice.

Starla placed a comforting hand on his back, “It’s okay, and you’re really worried about this. We all are.”

Some of the others nodded, and Rarity, being overdramatic as ever, cried out “Of all the worst things that could happen… this is…”

“… The… worst… possible thing! We get it!” Applejack cut in. Rarity turned the other way and huffed “Well you don’t have to be like that.”

“Ugh, knock it off!” snapped Lightning “The last thing we need right now is even more drama.”

“What I’d like to know is how did all this leak to the public.” said Buddy Rose. Everyone then turned to face Pinkie. “Hey, don’t look at me.” she said innocently. “I know I may have let out a few secrets before, but this is a huge one!”

Although everyone was still skeptical, “I believe her…” said Artie “But what are going to do? The whole planet is socially falling to pieces.”


“Well, I better get to the palace then.” said Lightning “Hopefully I can try to get to the bottom of this.”

He tenderly pecked Starla on her cheek, leaving her in charge of the team while he was gone, and she pecked him back wishing him luck. Then he was off, up into the air and speed-boosted away like a striking comet.

“I still don’t get why his majesty told me not to transport him myself.” said Krysta.

“I’m more wondering why he didn’t summon all of us.” added Spike.

No one had any ideas.

“Oh, I really hope their majesties don’t get a divorce.” cried Fluttershy.

Rhymey picked up one of the magazines and re-read the part about the confirmed divorce rumors. When he got really nervous he would spout rhymes in many consecutive sentences!

“No matter what the people have said,
No matter what is written or read,
I do not want that marriage to be dead!
Oh, just thinking of such a thing hurts my head!
This is just something too big to dread!!”

Fluttershy calmed him down. “Take it easy, dear.”

Rhymey caught his breath and relaxed, but still everyone felt droopy in the chops over all this, they hardly even felt like attending their own activities and it was hard to concentrate on patrols.

“All we need now is a call of danger to come.” said Rainbow, and at that precise moment, the alarms went off and citizens began to panic as monsters appeared in the village.

“Well, I guess we got it now.” said Dyno, “We better get to work.” added Myte.

Starla nodded and shouted, “Let’s go!” and they all dashed into action.




Meanwhile, thanks to his super speed, Lightning had arrived at the palace in New Canterlot very quickly. He was escorted into the waiting room by Captain Shaina. “I don’t why his majesty sent you here, but I will notify him of your arrival.”

“Thanks.” Lightning said to her, and he watched her go off before having a seat.

Lightning sat and he waited, and waited… and… waited…!

A while later he was beginning to grow irritable. Two solid hours had passed, as Grand Ruler hadn’t so much as passed on a message that he was late in coming. “I can’t take this anymore!” Lightning groaned to himself as he stood up to stretch his legs. His tail seemed a little flat and sticky from sitting on it for so long.

Goldwin passed along the waiting room.

“Goldwin…! Hey…” Lightning called “Do you what’s keeping Grand Ruler so long?”

Goldwin was confused, “Why? Was he supposed to see you?”

Lightning felt his patience thinning, but he spoke calmly, “Well, he sent for me, and I’ve been waiting here for a long time.”

“I’ll go see if I can find him.” Goldwin said, and he left leaving Lightning to wait again. He waited… and waited… and… he… waited!!

…Until finally, from being so bored, he had fallen asleep, and he slept until late into the night.


That’s when things began to get really, really strange…!




Grand Ruler Celesto walked all around the palace only to find the entire place completely deserted. The royal guards were not at their posts, the palace staff members were nowhere to be found, not even in their bedchambers. Even the laboratory and sickbay were empty. Worse, all the lights were out leaving only the night-lights giving soft glows across the halls.

He checked the nursery, but even Castor and Leilani were nowhere to be found. Princess Luna was missing, and Goldwin, he was gone too, which was very perplexing as he could not leave the palace or he would turn back into a statue.

“What is all this?” Grand Ruler wondered. Things only got even more mysterious as he looked out the window and could see the village in the distance; not a single house was lit, and there wasn’t a soul to be seen. It was as if everyone had just up and gone!

Grand Ruler had taken enough of this, and his three golden horns began to glow as he announced as if speaking on an intercom. “Attention! Attention! If there is anyone here in this palace, report to me at once!”

He got no response. So he repeated his message, only to then hear the sound of a door slamming shut at the end of the hallway behind him, and the faint sound of someone running! “Who slammed that door?” he shouted “Answer me!”

When no one responded, he stomped over the door to practically kick it open, but the door would not budge, as it had been sealed with a powerful spell. “Open this door!” he shouted to whoever was out there “Open it!”

No response!

“OPEN IT!!”

He then tried to undo the spell with his own magic, only for his surprise, his horns didn’t glow brightly enough and he couldn’t give off enough magic. “What’s happening to my powers?” he wondered.

Still, that didn’t leave his brute strength out, and he punched the doors hard, shattering them to pieces, and he stared down the long hallway ahead of him.

He was more than convinced he was not alone and that someone was plotting against him, and he was starting to have a sickening feeling he knew whom it was… there was only one other creature with the kind of power he knew was at foot.


As he trekked along searching for the suspect, he walked past the waiting room, when he stopped a looked inside. There, he saw none other than Lightning, fast asleep across the benches.

A very disgraceful thing for an officer to be asleep and in such a place!

He walked over and loudly cleared his throat, which surprised Lightning and he nearly fell off the bench. “Oh! Oh, Master… it’s you, and about time too!”

As he got up off the bench and stretched he was practically appalled by how dark and late it was, not to mention horribly quiet.

“Lightning Dawn, what, in the name of the known universe, are you doing here?” Grand Ruler asked.

Lightning straightened his uniform and answered “I’ve been waiting for you as ordered.”

“For me… as ordered?” asked Grand Ruler. Now Lightning was feeling confused, “Well, yes, sire. You sent me a letter telling me to come here this afternoon, and I got here…” he checked the big clock on the wall, which was still working, “…exactly seven whole hours, and I fell asleep here waiting, and begging your pardon but what kept you?”

“Lightning… I sent you no such letter.”

Lightning froze on the spot. “You didn’t…?”

Grand Ruler shook his head. Lightning showed him the letter and was silently outraged that his handwriting and signature had been forged. Yet, it was done so perfectly, had he not known better, he, too, wouldn’t have fallen for the trick.

Lightning was starting to feel concerned, “Master, what’s going on here?”

“I’d like to know that myself, though I may have an idea.” said Grand Ruler “Tell me, have you seen anyone here at all before you fell asleep?”

“Well, just Goldwin, Captain Shaina and the palace staff as they walked by.”

“How about the Queen; did you happen to see her at any time?”

“Queen Celestia…? No, I haven’t seen her. Why?”

Grand Ruler’s features hardened and he clenched his fist, destroying the letter in his grip. “So, it is just as I thought.” he thought to himself “…I will not let this happen!”

Lightning had no idea what he was thinking, but then he noticed “Sire… your mane!”

“Huh?” Grand Ruler looked in a mirror that was on the wall, and sure enough the magical images of outer-space in his mane were fading softly. Not only that, but his magical cape wasn’t fluttering as high nor twinkling as brightly as it used to, and this only happened if one of two things was happening, either he was in a very low down mood and his confidence were low… and that was not the case, which only meant, “…My power… it’s weakening.”

Lightning’s insides were starting to quiver with fear. The way this was happening, all coupled with the forged letter and the, now, deserted palace, “…I think we better get out of here.”

“Yes… yes, you’re right.”

Grand Ruler tried to teleport them both out of the palace, but despite still having enough power to do so, the spell did not function properly and the two of them remained where they were.

“What’s happening?” asked Lightning.

“I don’t know. I can’t warp us out of here.”

He tried two more times, but failed, and the stars in his mane got a little fainter, and his cape lost a little more of its lift and sparkle.

“We’ll have to get out of here the old fashioned way.” Lightning suggested. His former mentor agreed, “First I’m going to take a look around and see if there’s anyone else about. It’s dangerous for them to stay here.”

Despite the obvious facts the entire palace was all but deserted, Grand Ruler went off before Lightning could even protest. He tried to go after him, only to find he had already vanished out of sight.

“Galloping Galaxies…!” Lightning groaned as he took off his hat and wiped his brow. “What else could happen?” He suddenly got his answer when someone dropped down from behind him.

He turned round and saw none other than Queen Celestia, wearing her old warrior outfit--armored grey vest with her cutie mark painted on the front, and golden-shoulder pads, arm-plates, golden skirt, long grey boots on her legs, and a short red cape in back.

She looked sternly, almost threateningly at Lightning and asked “What are you doing here?”

“I… I was tricked into coming here.” replied Lightning. Celestia believed him, but her features remained unchanged. “You are here by yourself?” she asked. “No, your highness, Grand Ruler was just here.”

Celestia’s features hardened worse, and her eyes flashed red. She held Lightning by the shoulders, somewhat forcefully, “Where is he? Do you know?”

Lightning felt a little nervous. “N-N-No… he was here, but he ran off, but his power is getting weak.”

Her eyes flashed redder than ever, much to Lightning’s already growing worry, “Uh… your majesty, are you alright?”

“I will be… after I destroy Celesto.”

Lightning’s gave a nasty turn at those words “…Destroy…Grand Ruler?!”

“That’s right. I’ve got to find him and destroy him… and you’re going to help me.”

“What?!” snapped Lightning.

“Keep it quiet!” snapped Celestia.

“Pardon me, but I’ll do such thing.”

Celestia glared at him threateningly “So, you’ve sided with him, have you?”

Lightning shook his head, “No, no… I don’t get this. You want to destroy him… but, why?”

“Believe me, I didn’t want it to come to this, but now I have no choice.” said Celestia.

Lightning began to wonder if this had anything to do with all the arguments the couple had been having. Perhaps it had heated so much, that and coupled with the two striking each other--

Lightning tried and tried to make the queen see reason. “Look, whatever you two are fighting about-- please, can’t we all just sit down and talk this over? Maybe we can work it all out.”

“There’s nothing to talk about.” said Celestia “I know what I have to do. I’ve cast the spell that’s weakening him.”

Hearing that made Lightning’s features stiffen “You… you’re behind all this?”

“That’s right. It’s the only chance I have. Now I have to find Celesto and kill him while I can before he kills me, and I want you to help me.”

“No! I won’t, you hear me!” Lightning snapped “I won’t be a part of this. There’s no need to kill each other. He doesn’t want to kill you!”

Celestia did not take kindly to his attitude, but rather than waste time and lecture him on all that she realized she was on her own with this. “Fine then… I’ll find him myself!”

She tried to run off but Lightning grabbed her by the tail. “No! I won’t let you do this!”

“You can’t try and stop me!” growled Celestia, and she fired a hard blast from her horn right at his armor knocking him away from her, allowing her to escape.


Lightning groaned as he sat back upright. He was more outraged than hurt, but when he looked at his armor he saw that his energizer had been hit square on and was damaged. “Oh, no!” he grumbled. Now he couldn’t transform or access his super-gear, and now Celestia had gotten away and was going to kill his former mentor.

He had to find Grand Ruler and fast before the queen got to him! The problem was he didn’t know where his majesty could be in this huge, empty palace.


However, he suddenly heard someone call to him, “Psst… Lightning…”

It was his former mentor, still safe, but his mane was looking dimmer and his cape was hardly fluttering now.

“Master, thank goodness your safe. I’ve got to get you out of here.”

“Was that Celestia you were speaking to?”

“Yes, it was. Look, sire, I’ve got to get you out of here.”

“Where did she go?” Grand Ruler asked, practically in a demanding voice. “She ran off. Look, she’s gone mad. She’s out to destroy you. I’ve got to get you out of here.”

Before Grand Ruler could say anything, the two of them heard Celestia’s voice. She was using her magic to announce all throughout the palace. “Celesto… Celesto, I know can hear me. Now answer me… unless you’re afraid.”

Lightning shook his head telling his majesty not to, but Grand Ruler, still having more than half his power left, answered anyway. “Yes, I can hear you.”

“Good, I want you to know… I’ve cast a spell on the palace. It’s slowly draining your power, but it doesn’t affect mine at all. Soon you’ll be too weak to even stand.”

Grand Ruler chuckled softly “You’d think I wasn’t aware of that already.”

“After all the pain and suffering you put me through… I’m going to find you, and I’m going to destroy you! You won’ be able to escape this time!”

Lightning was livid at such words “Pain and Suffering?”… “What are you talking about?” he asked, but Celestia refused to answer. “Celestia…” Grand Ruler called “Celestia, where are you?”

His wife did not answer, which only meant that she had ceased the magic and was well on her way to find them and destroy Grand Ruler.

“Master… for the last time…” Lightning said “We’ve got to get out of here, now!”

Grand Ruler finally agreed, “Come on, out the windows.”

The two ponies leapt straight at the nearest windows to fly off into the night, only to be thrown back by a strong force-field! “I was afraid of that.” Grand Ruler said “Celestia’s trying to keep us locked in here. She really wants me dead and wants the honor of doing it herself.”

He tried to dispel the magic with his own, but to no avail with his power growing weaker.

“Let me try.” offered Lightning. Grand Ruler stepped well back as Lightning powered himself up. “UNIFORCE!” he fired his power straight at the barrier, the results were explosive!

POW!! Not a very big explosion…



…But big enough for Celestia to notice it from where she stood outside on one of the many terraces. “So there you are!” she grumbled, and she flew straight off.



The smoke had cleared, the window and bits of the wall had been demolished, but the barrier still remained. “I don’t believe it!” cried Lightning “I’ll try again…”

“Save your strength,” said Grand Ruler “If it didn’t work then, it won’t work now. The best chance is to find Celestia. She created this, she can break it. I’ve got to find her.”

“What, are you crazy?” snapped Lightning. Grand Ruler glared at him sternly for speaking like that to him “Begging your pardon, but she’s out to get you!”

Grand Ruler began to look a little woozy, the result of his power dwindling.

“Master!” cried Lightning.

“I’m… alright.” Grand Ruler wearily replied, and then he stood straight and tall as if he could really keep going. “There’s no choice, I’ve got to find Celestia.”

“But--”

“No buts, Lightning Dawn! I’ve made my decision we’ll leave at that!” snapped Grand Ruler, and off he went out of the room and down the hall. Lightning tried to protest, but had already lost him as he dashed around the bend.

Lightning honestly didn’t know how much more of this he could take. All the stubbornness, hostilities… it was making his headache! Now he had to try and find his majesty before her majesty did!



Grand Ruler treaded cautiously down the hallway, trying to keep his eyes and his senses well going for anything.

Suddenly, he heard a soft crash, and turned swiftly and holding out his arms ready to shoot… but no one was there, yet he remained unconvinced that he was totally alone.

As he turned another corner, IT HAPPENED!!

Celestia tackled him hard to the ground and tried to strangle him! She seemed surprisingly stronger than him, only because of her spell draining his power away giving her a serious fighting chance. However, despite his magic power draining, Grand Ruler still had plenty of physical power left, and managed to pries her hands off his neck and flipped her up over and off him, landing flat on her back!

Celestia bolted upright, growling at him like a cougar, and she lunged right at him. The two engaged in a struggle, but Grand Ruler hardly seemed to want to make any kill-moves while his wife continued to pour on her rage and strength.

Naturally of course, Grand Ruler had to at least defend himself, and punched her hard in the chest sending her crashing into the wall, knocking over a table, a vase, and the curtains down on top of her.

Infuriated, Celestia fired a blast from her horn, straight through the curtains and hitting her husband’s leg hard.

Grand Ruler shouted in pain as he fell down clutching his gashed leg.

Just as Celestia stood upright and ready to shoot for the kill, “No! Stop…!” Lightning intervened and began to wrestle with his queen, which gave Grand Ruler a chance to get away, by fluttering with his wings as he couldn’t walk well.

Celestia, broke free from Lightning’s grip and shoved him hard, and when she saw Grand Ruler had gone, she dashed off in search of him to finish him off!


Lightning got back up and felt angry for letting Celestia get away, having seen she had shot Grand Ruler. Now he had to find him and help him. In his weakened state and with his powers draining, he didn’t even want to begin to think how worse it could get if Celestia found him first!


He wandered down the hall with hardly any clue where his master had gone. His energizer was still damaged so he couldn’t activate his visor to scan for the magic essence, and he couldn’t just call out for his mentor or he’d alert Celestia’s attention!

Suddenly, he spotted a speck of sparkling blood on the floor in the hallway. No doubt it was Grand Ruler’s blood as he was a deity alicorn, and their blood type sparkled.

“He was just here.” Lightning said to himself “Okay, Lightning, remember your training.”

Carefully calculating where he spotted the speck and feeling the carpet and the walls for the warmth of body heat. Sure enough, he spotted another speck of blood on the floor… and another… and another… until he looked on ahead and gasped…! There, up ahead, Grand Ruler was lying on the floor unconscious.

Was he too late already?

Fortunately, when he examined the body, he was relieved Grand Ruler was still alive, but still very weak from the power drain, and the gash on his leg.

Lightning had to move fast before Celestia found them and finished the job!




To Be Continued…!


(Promo)

In our next episode: Lightning’s friends soon discover more and more monsters attacking the planet than they can capture them all. Meanwhile, the Death Hunt at the palace continues as Grand Ruler and Celestia refuse to give in nor listen to Lightning’s objections.

Will Lightning have to ultimately choose sides, and how long can his friends hold up under the onslaught?

Don’t miss the next exciting episode of “Starfleet Magic!”

(Next Episode: “Royal Duel to the Death: Part 2!”)