• Published 5th Jul 2017
  • 676 Views, 8 Comments

Fallout: Equestria - The Happy Moon Chronicles - Twilight--Paladin



This story of Happy Moon's experiences in the Equestrian Wasteland has never been heard before. It's about time that someone told it...

  • ...
7
 8
 676

Chapter I

“War never changes.” said Happy, as he gazed into the bathroom mirror. “Huh, I should really get a haircut.”

“Happy, are you almost done in there?” said the voice of his fiancé.

“Just a moment, honey.” he replied, then thought to himself, “How did I get so lucky?” He looked back at the mirror and examined his face once more. His mane was blond and messy with red ends here and there. His coat was navy blue, his horn matching. His left iris was blue, his right was green. Both eyes were slightly obscured by a pair of black-framed glasses. He had a scar below his left eye from a crash he was in when he was forty. There was another, much less noticeable one between his eyes and just above his muzzle. Coming out of his mouth was a pair of curved, two-inch canines that he wouldn’t have if he wasn’t half changeling.

He turned away from the mirror and walked towards the door. When he opened it, Twilight was standing on the other side, wearing the maroon bathrobe that she always loved. “Your Pip-Buck is by your old Shadowbolt uniform.” she said. “You REALLY need to keep better track of it when you’re not wearing it.”

“I’ve been trying, believe me.” He responded. “I just haven’t gotten used to having it, yet.”

“You’ve had it for years! How haven’t you gotten used to it yet?”

“Twilight, honey, I’ve told you multiple times: I just take a while to get used to things. Like being a pony, for example. Getting out of bed, I still mistakenly try to stand on two legs sometimes. Now, you know I love you, Twilight, and I don’t mean to offend you, but I have to ask: Are you certain your memory is as good as it was when I first met you?”

“Yes, I’m certain. In fact, old age doesn’t affect alicorns at all. At least, I don’t think it does. Now, if you don’t mind, I need to take a shower. Maybe later, we could go out for lunch, alright?”

“Sure.” said Happy, as Twilight closed the door. He turned away from the door and walked down the hall, towards their bedroom. That was where he kept his Shadowbolt uniform when he wasn’t wearing it. He did still wear it, though as a Nightmare Night costume. His Pip-buck was sitting on the table in front of it, almost on display. He walked over to grab it, but before he did, he looked up at his old uniform. His left wing and hind legs started aching all over again, especially around the scars, as he started to remember the incident that caused him to leave the Shadowbolts…

The nearby sound of a crying foal snapped him back into focus, then the voice of a Mr. Handy said, “Sounds like somepony made a stinky. I’ll tend to young Silver Shine.” Happy held back a laugh at the wording. Even at 64 years old, he still had that childish side he’d always had. Then, he remembered why he was in there. With his magic, he levitated his Pip-Buck onto his left foreleg and locked it firmly in place. Unlike most others, the device was jet-black instead of the standard… oak-brown? He didn’t know exactly what shade of brown it was. The display was titanium white instead of the default neon green. He left the room and walked down the hall, towards the living room.

“Clockwork, if he needs anything, I’ll be on the couch.”

“Got it, sir!” he replied. “Your coffee is ready and on the counter, by the way.”

“Thanks, Clockwork.” Before he could do anything else, there was a knock on the door.

“You should probably get that.” said Twilight. She was out of the shower.

“That was fast.” said Happy. “Yeah, you’re right. It’s probably that Stable-Tec salespony. What was his name?”

“Hey, I’m not Pinkie. I don’t know the names and birthdays of every member of Stable-Tec.”

“Good point.” said Happy. He stood up and walked to the door. When he opened it, he was greeted by the pony on the other side. He was wearing a light brown trench coat and a matching hat. He looked strangely familiar.

“Good morning.” said the pony. “I’m glad to finally be talking to you; I’ve been trying for days. It’s of utmost urgency, I assure you. The big… ‘kaboom’. It’s inevitable, I’m afraid, and coming sooner than you might think. However, it is my pleasure to tell you that due to your services to Equestria, you and your family have been pre-selected to be accepted into the local Stable: Stable 111. I just need you to fill out some paperwork.”

“Sure thing.”

Happy filled out the paperwork then gave it back to the salespony. “Here you go.” he said.

“Thank you. I’ll just… take this up to the Stable and… I hope you have a nice day.”

“You too.” said Happy, as he slowly closed the door.

“That wasn’t so hard, was it?” asked Twilight.

“Who said it would be hard?”

“You’ve been really antsy these last few months, and I was starting to worry. What’s wrong?”

“It’s nothing. Just a bit of déjà vu. Nothing to worry about.” he said, then mentally added,

“If you say so…” she said. She seemed suspicious. Before Happy could respond, Silver started crying again, and Clockwork came into the room.

“Sir, Silver’s been changed, but it seems he needs some of that ‘paternal affection’ you’re so good at.”

“Sure thing.” He walked across the room then went down the hall to his sons’ room. Sharp Shooter was standing next to Silver’s crib, holding his little brother, who was still crying. Silver was a one-year-old light grey unicorn with a silver mane and sky-blue eyes. Sharp was a four-year-old beige pegasus with a matching mane and matching eyes. “Hey there, Sharp.”

“Hey, Dad. How’ve you been?” he asked.

“Good. Can I see Silver?”

“Sure.” He held out his brother, and Happy telekinetically lifted his younger son up towards his face and nuzzled him. Silver started to calm down.

“There, there. You’re safe. Daddy’s here.” he said. He heard a chuckle behind him, so he turned around. Twilight was standing in the doorway.

“So, how are the three most important stallions in my life doing?” she asked.

“Amazing.” Sharp answered.

“Good to know. So-” She didn’t get to finish.

“Sir? Mum? I think you should come see this!” Clockwork shouted from the living room. Happy passed Silver over to Twilight and lifted Sharp onto his back. They went down the hall and began to hear the TV.

“-followed by flashes, blinding flashes. We have reports- confirmed reports of nuclear detonations in Manehattan and Fillydelphia. Oh gods…”

Happy was terrified. “We need to get to the Stable. Now!” he said as alarms started to go off in the distance. He pulled the door open so hard, it nearly came off of it’s hinges. He bolted out the door, Sharp just barely managing to hold on. Twilight came out immediately after, holding Silver. They charged down the sidewalk, towards a pony directing the everypony down a worn path. They charged down the path that led across a bridge then up a hill. There was a fence with a gate set up at the top of the hill. Behind the fence were two ponies wearing full suits of power armor. Each pony was wielding a minigun. “Steel Rangers.” Happy thought to himself.

By the fence, Happy heard a voice from earlier that day say, “Why am I not allowed in?! I AM Stable-Tec-”

“You’re not on the list.” said the pony in front of the gate.

“I’m getting in there. Oh, I’m getting in there.” said the salespony. One of the Rangers aimed his minigun at the salespony and began to spin it up. “Okay! Okay! I’ll leave!” he said. He turned and ran away shouting, “I’m reporting this!”

“We need to get in.” said Happy. “Were on the list.”

“Infant. Adult male. Adult female. Young male. You’re in.” The pony stepped aside to let them through.

“Thank you.” said Happy. As he passed through the gate, he respectfully nodded towards the Steel Rangers. They nodded back. He and Twilight continued to follow the path until they saw a raised metal circle at the end.

“On to the platform!” shouted a pony to his right. He seemed to be pointing at the metal circle, which had a large gear shape in the middle. They ran on to the platform, then Sharp hopped off of Happy’s back.

“I love you. ALL of you.” said Happy.

“You, too, Dad.” said Sharp.

“I love you, too.” said Twilight, right before a megaspell went off in the distance. Since radiation travels at the speed of light, the Geiger counter on Happy’s Pip-Buck was practically doing cartwheels the moment it did.

“Lower the platform!” shouted one of the ponies nearby. Happy couldn’t tell who it was, but the platform started lowering. He could see the shockwave from the explosion getting closer and closer.

“Can’t this thing go any faster?!” he shouted, as the platform continued to get gradually lower. A few seconds later, his head was level with the edge of the platform. That was when the shockwave hit. The heat that came with it was almost unbearable. The platform started gaining speed, and Happy looked up just in time to see a pair of metal doors sliding shut. He really hoped they were made of lead. The platform was practically plummeting at that point.

.oOo.

The platform seemed to go down forever, and Happy would’ve been feeling his namesake when it started to slow down, but he didn’t register that. When it stopped, there was a metal grating in front of him. He didn’t register that, either. He didn’t register anything. “That lift… so slow…” said one of the older ponies on platform.

“Happy?” Twilight gave Silver to Sharp, then walked up to Happy and waved a hoof in his face. No response. “Hap-” Before she could finish, he fell forward and hugged her, sobbing into her shoulder. “It’s okay, I’m here.” she said.

“And I’m… thankful… for that.” he responded between sobs.

“I know what it’s like to lose a home. I lost the Golden Oak library, after all.”

“Yeah, but Equestria was… saved then. Now, who knows… how little… is left of the country?”

“There’s nothing anyone could’ve done. What matters is that we’re safe. That you’re safe.” said Twilight. Happy couldn’t help but smile at that. “Okay. Come on, big guy.”

“‘Big… guy’? You’re like… a foot taller than me.” Happy replied. “Let’s… go into the Stable… proper, okay?”

“That would be a good idea.” They stepped off the platform and walked down the ramp, leading to the gear-shaped door that Stables were famous for. The two were silent for a few moments.

Happy broke the silence. “I never got my coffee, by the way.” he said. That made Twilight laugh.

Author's Note:

I've finally finished chapter one! I hope you all enjoy it. Time to work on chapter two!

Comments ( 6 )

Alternative Universe? Twilight isn't Ministry Mare, in that case no super alicorns... and no Blackjack, who is Twilight's descendant o.O

8810856
I wasn't aware that Blackjack was Twilight's descendant, though I was planning on having Littlepip be a descendant of Applejack. Also, Twilight is still the founder of the Ministry of Arcane Sciences. This is basically a refresh of the Fallout: Equestria timeline.

8811117
there is a trick to keep track of facts - creating character cards for evryone. we have helf from foe wiki, most fact about central characters are already there.

Wow I love this so far i cant wait till chapter to and the rest of it. and one question why do you have foals with twighlight?
I really cant wait!!

9167530
Thanks! Also, Happy was the one who adopted Sharp and Silver.

This is an interesting idea, can’t say where this is gonna go as most of what has transpired yet is basically Fallout 4, except the two kids instead of one. Can’t help but wonder how this fits into the FO:E timeline, with Twi getting into the stable safe and sound. Apparently there’s gonna be no Goddess and such. Anyway, I’ll wait for what the next chapters might bring.

As for grammar and such, I mostly noticed the recurring issue of some improper use of punctuation in direct speech. Can explain more, if you wish.

Login or register to comment