• Published 28th Jun 2017
  • 6,737 Views, 549 Comments

Nothing Without Me - chillbook1



Raven Inkwell is the princess' adviser and, therefore, the only reason Equestria hasn't burned down yet.

  • ...
26
 549
 6,737

The Royal Archives

“Ms. Inkwell? Raven, dear? Is something the matter?”

Raven shook her head firmly, freeing herself from her daze. She had been writing down what Celestia was saying for the past ten or so minutes, but she wasn’t really listening. Her mind was elsewhere, and the princess picked up on that. Their mid-morning meetings normally went exceedingly smoothly, and were often done by this point. Yet, for one reason or another, Raven had been behaving fairly sluggish this morning, often times taking a bit longer than she ordinarily would.

“Yes, princess. You’ll have to forgive me,” said Raven, massaging the bridge of her nose. “I haven’t been sleeping very well at all this past week or so.”

“I see. Is there something on your mind?” asked Celestia. “You’ve always been the worrisome sort, so it wouldn’t surprise me if you’re stressing yourself out more than you should.”

You know damn well what’s stressing me.

Raven fought to keep that thought in her head, instead working up a forced, tired-looking smile.

“It’s not that, your highness, but thank you.”

“Hm… You know who’s brilliant for this sort of thing?” Celestia didn’t bother waiting for Raven to answer. “Harpy. Your mother has a myriad of wonderful remedies for insomnia. Back when my nightmares were… Particularly troubling, she’s helped me get sleep when the Royal Alchemist’s greatest sleep potions failed me. You ought to ask her when you have a chance.”

“Eh… I’m familiar with my mother’s remedies, and they never seemed to work for me…” said Raven, trying not to think of the many cups of frankly horrid herbal tea she had been forced to drink over the course of her childhood. “Speaking of my mother… I found it a bit strange that she decided to return to work in the castle.”

“I was quite surprised myself. I was terribly afraid that I’d seen the last of Harpy Inkwell,” said Celestia. “Of all the ponies to ever advise me, she’s the one who’s held the tightest connection to me and the throne. Even still, at her age, I didn’t blame her one bit for retiring, especially considering what a worthy successor she left.”

“Right. Well, your highness, if I may ask… How come you didn’t tell me you intended to hire her?” asked Raven. She spoke carefully, not wanting it to seem as if she was interrogating the princess. “It was quite a shock when I found out she was working the Royal Archives.”

“That’s just it, dear; I never did intend to hire her. It just sort of happened. We were just finishing up her new contract when you and Mr. Oak invited her to brunch. I thought it would be more fitting for you to hear the good news from her. I can’t imagine why she never mentioned it to you. Perhaps she wanted to surprise you. You could never really tell with Harpy.” Celestia gave a good-natured chuckle, flooded with good memories of her old friend. “Ah, but, since you mentioned the Royal Archives, I actually have an errand for you.”

“Yes, of course.” It took all of Raven’s intestinal fortitude not to roll her eyes out of her skull upon that revelation. Of course she’d be going to the Archives. She wasn’t sure why she ever could’ve expected anything else. “What do you need, your majesty?”

“A few books and scrolls. Here, take this list.” Celestia summoned a scroll of parchment with her magic, which she slipped into Raven’s open, waiting saddlebags. “Give it to Harpy, she’ll get it right to you. There’s one particular one that is very important, it’s called Arcana Mysterium- The Complete Almanac of Magicks and Witchery. The First Edition is what I need, and be prepared for a wait. That one especially is very deep in the Archives, indeed.”

Not only would she be going to the Archives, but Raven would be stuck there for a considerable amount of time and forced to directly interact with her mother. If she didn’t know any better, she’d think that Celestia was setting her up for failure.

“Right away, your highness,” said Raven with a bow. “I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

Celestia smiled as her aide departed the room, her smile falling into a small, tired frown as the doors shut behind Raven. She shook her head and sighed, using her magic to summon a thick, heavy, leather-bound book, the title Arcana Mysterium etched onto the cover. Celestia blew off the dust, cracking it open and giving it a read.

“Just what am I going to do with you two?” she sighed, flipping through the book’s ancient pages. “So damn stubborn, the both of you…”


“Ah, Raven! You finally decided to stop avoiding me.”

The Royal Archives were impossibly large, a twisting, winding labyrinth of shelves and countless ancient tomes. It was expressly forbidden for common ponies to enter without an escort, not for fear of theft or vandalism, but for fear that the poor sod would never be found again. Indeed, all workers of the library were taught a special warp spell that would bring the caster to the Archive’s front door, simple enough that the Archive’s anti-teleportation charms allowed it through. Additionally, Archive workers were given special crystals that they could break against the ground to call for help if they ever got lost in the countless aisles and rows of books and scrolls. The odds of two ponies bumping into each other while working were about one in a million.

The fact that Raven ran into her mother almost as soon as walking into the Royal Archives gave her the impression that Harpy was waiting for her.

“Hello, Mother,” said Raven tiredly. “I haven’t been avoiding you. Not intentionally, anyway. Just been busy with work. Speaking of…” Raven produced the list from her bag, passing it into the dark maroon glow of Harpy’s magic. “Princess Celestia needs these books as soon as possible.”

“Hm… Art of the Steal, Historical Figures Shaping Equestria and… Arcana Mysterium?” Harpy hummed thoughtfully, looking over the list. “And you’re certain that she wants Arcana Mysterium?”

“She wrote the list herself.”

“Sweet Goddess above, you’re making the princess write her own lists?” asked Harpy, absolutely aghast. “What do you even do here, Raven?”

“I do not let her write her own lists!” Raven knew that, if she did, they’d be so crazy and unintelligible that nothing would ever get done. “She had this ready before I even came in.”

“And when did you come in, hm? If your performance from when I returned is any indication, I think it’d be safe to assume that you were tardy?”

“5:30, actually. Before you came in, if I recall,” countered Raven. Harpy leered at her child for a moment before breaking into a small smirk.

“Fair enough. Take twenty points. Come on, most of these are near the front, but for Arcana Mysterium, we’re going to have to go in rather deep,” said Harpy. Raven nodded and walked alongside her mother, delving deeper and deeper into the Archives. “You wouldn’t happen to know why the princess is looking for Arcana Mysterium, would you?”

“No. Why do you ask?”

“It’s an odd read. Very old, and horribly outdated.” Harpy maneuvered through the shelves, the veritable maze disorienting to all but the most experienced of archivists. “If the princess needs enchantments or charms, there are books with better spells that are more easily found.”

“Maybe she’s feeling nostalgic?” suggested Raven. “She could just be in the mood for an old read.”

“Perhaps…” The two ventured deeper into the Archives in silence for a bit, until Harpy broke the silence. “So… About that friend of yours. Garrus, right?”

“Yes…” Raven was immediately on guard by her mother’s sudden line of questioning. “What about him?”

“And you’re certain you two aren’t an item?” asked Harpy, her tone with a false layer of innocence that would fool most other ponies. “Why is that? Is he taken?”

“Garrus’ love life is none of either of our business,” remarked Raven. “And that’s besides the point. I’m just not interested in Garrus, not in that way. We’re colleagues and friends, nothing more.”

“Interesting…”

“I wouldn’t say so.” Raven was, on the best days, a rather possessive pony. There weren’t many material things that Raven particularly cared about, and ponies were even lower on her list of priorities in most cases. But, when she did care for something, Raven tended to take extra care to keep those rare special things close to the chest. Harpy knew this, and she was prepared for Raven’s guarded response.

“Hm… I wonder if he’d be more interested in you if you took better care of yourself,” musd Harpy. “You look horrendous, dear. Not enough sleep, I imagine. You’re too young to have crow’s feet.”

“I do not have crow’s feet,” snarled Raven. Without turning to face her daughter, Harpy used her magic to conjure a small hoof mirror, which she held in front of Raven’s face. Raven peered at her own reflection, tugging down on her face with her hoof, then let out a curious hum. “Okay, so maybe I do. But it’s not my fault. This job is—”

“This job’s importance is second only to the throne itself, and you’d do well to remember that.” Harpy turned round one last corner, coming to a large shelf of thick, dusty, ancient looking books. Harpy lit her horn up with magic, pulling tomes from the shelf in order to check the titles. “You never treated this job with the sort of respect it deserves.”

“I do my job fine, Mother,” snorted Raven.

“‘Fine’ isn’t good enough, Raven. You are the Right Hoof of the Throne. You’re the Royal Advisor! Princess Celestia depends on you to aide and assist her in the goings on of the entire kingdom of Equestria. You don’t get to do your job ‘fine’, Raven. You must be excellent on your worst day.”

“I’ve dealt with more difficult and delicate issues than any other administration before me.” Raven huffed, getting more irate as time progressed. She despised when Harpy thought fit to lecture her. “I’ve organized three separate shifts of political power in Equestria. I’ve dealt with things you couldn’t even wrap your head around.”

“And that’s exactly it, Raven. Nopony is doubting your skill or talent,” fired Harpy. “You were born for this job, but you don’t live up to your potential! You’re so capable, you should be so much better. That swimsuit shoot is a prime example. Despite all of your accomplishments, you still allowed something like that to compromise Princess Celestia’s image.” Raven could feel her anger mounting with each passing word. It was all but impossible to refrain from shouting. “You’re lazy. You’re sloppy. You’re taking our family name and raking it through the mud.”

“I never wanted—!” Raven bit her tongue, catching the venom in her mouth before she let it slip. Even in her anger, she knew that what she was about to say would be dumping fuel on the fire. Instead of exacerbating the situation, Raven took in a deep breath and tried again. “I never wanted to disappoint the family, Mother. I assure you, I’m trying my best.”

“And what do we do when our best isn’t good enough?” asked Harpy, the question practiced and essentially burned into her daughter’s brain. Raven didn’t even have to think about it before answering.

“We make our best better,” she sighed. Harpy didn’t turn around, but gave an affirmative nod and hum before pulling a book from the shelf. “Good. And here we go. Arcana Mysterium- The Complete Almanac of Magicks and Witchery.”

“Good. I’ll get this back to the princess,” said Raven, accepting the book and carefully setting it on her back. “Mind warping me back? It’s a bit of a trot, and I’d rather get back to work as quickly as possible.”

“Teleportation isn’t good for books, especially ones that old,” said Harpy, ignoring Raven’s raised eyebrow. “We’ll take the scenic route.” Harpy cleared her throat as she led the way. “Besides, is catching up with your mother really such a terrible idea?”

“Well… I suppose a walk is fine.” Raven followed Harpy again, silently studying her. “Is there something on your mind?”

“There’s always something on my mind, Raven.” Harpy dodged the question, something Raven easily picked up on. “Between work, and you, and a million other things, I’m not exactly afforded the luxury of not having something on my mind.”

“Me?”

“Do I have to spell it out for you, Raven? I worry about you. You’re not taking care of yourself,” said Harpy. “You look sickly. You’re not eating like you should, and I’m sure you’re drinking, despite my orders.”

“I’m an adult, Mother. I can drink if I like.” Raven was very defensive on this point. Of all the people to lecture her about drinking, Harpy Inkwell should be the last one in line. “A beer or two after work is no harm done.”

“Hm. You’d think.” It got quiet for a bit, the silence slowly melting into tension. “Have you been keeping in touch with Birch?”

Raven contemplated ignoring Harpy, or dodging the question like her mother had to her. She very much so didn’t want to have this conversation, but it seemed to be out of her hooves. Deflection would make things worse, so Raven was forced into telling the truth.

“Sporadically. We swap letters occasionally,” said Raven carefully. “I'm a bit overdue, to be honest.”

“And how is he?”

“He's good. Enjoying his retirement.” Raven chuckled slightly. “At least one of you is.”

“Heh. That's good. Where is he these days?”

“Travelling, like you're supposed to be. Last I heard from him, he was headed to Mareizona. Some sort of music festival.” Raven smiled darkly at the idea. “You know how Dad is with his music.”

“That stallion tried to be in the band at our wedding,” laughed Harpy. “The man was a damn fool…”

“Sure was. We used to give him a hard time about writing all over the house. Every room except his studio.” The memories of Birch were bittersweet, indeed. Raven tried not to think about him if she could avoid it. Even these memories, the happier ones she held for her father, felt like a stake was being driven between her ribs. The bad ones often made Raven feel as if she was drowning.

“We argued for hours about putting in that damn studio. Every house we found, we had to pass on because there wasn't enough studio space,” snorted Harpy. “And yet, he wrote my anniversary song in the bathtub.”

“Most mares would feel special to even get an anniversary song.”

“If there was one thing Birch was good at, it was making me feel like a princess. He was a good stallion.” Harpy let out a sigh. “It's a shame what happened.”

“Yeah. Shame.” Raven tried not to seem especially bitter for the rest of their journey to the Archive’s exit. She couldn’t tell what was going on in Harpy’s mind and, at the moment, she didn't especially care. Raven just kept going, using the cover of silence to push the memories away for the time being.


“Well, that didn't sound too bad,” said Garrus, depositing himself in his seat. Raven sighed, taking the spot next to Garrus, which left one last spot for Moon Shine to claim.

“I agree. Based on what you told us about Harpy, I expected this story to be a lot worse,” said Luna, noticeable disappointment in her voice. “I want a refund! I paid good money to take joy in your suffering!”

“My mother has her moments. I don’t know what made her ask about my dad, though,” said Raven with a shrug. “Those two haven’t spoken to each other in years.”

“What happened between them? She left him?” asked Luna. Garrus elbowed her in the ribs, shaking his head. “Ow! What the hell, Griffon?”

“Not cool…” said Garrus.

“He left her, actually,” said Raven. “Probably the best decision he ever made.” She narrowed her eyes at Luna. “And that’s the most I feel like talking about it, so how about we drop it and get some drinks?” Raven peered around the room, her confusion mounting. “Where’s that barmaid? Someone call her.”

“I… I don’t know her name,” said Garrus. “Huh. How long have we been drinking here? And I never learned her name…”

“Now that I think on it, I don’t think I ever caught her name either.” Raven pursed her lips in thought. That barmaid was a good mare, always kind and receptive to her patrons. She kept the rowdiness of the place to a minimum, and she was always discreet about Raven visiting the establishment, knowing how difficult it must be for somepony of her stature to have a drink in peace. “I kinda feel bad. Moon?”

“Huh? The hell are you looking at me for?” asked Luna with a shrug. “I barely know your names. What hope did some bartender I’ve spoken to twice have?”

“Sorry for the delay! What can I get you?”

Raven, Garrus, and Luna all turned to see the new voice as it neared their table, and what they saw made their eyes grow wide in shock. A mare approached, an alabaster unicorn with a beautiful pale pink mane. She had a bright smile to go with her stunning magenta eyes. On her flank was the image of an orange sun setting along the horizon. She was stunning. Gorgeous. Regal.

Like a princess.

Immediately, the trio of friends were put on edge.

“Hi! I don’t think I’ve seen you around before. What’s your name?” asked Garrus with his patented grin plastered across his beak.

“Oops, sorry, I never introduced myself,” said the mare. “My name is Solar Flare. Please forgive me, it's my first day on the job and I'm a skotch nervous.” Solar craned her head at the party of three, the gesture drawing attention to her noteworthy height. “So, what can I get for you three?”

“Just a round of beers to start with,” said Raven cautiously. Solar nodded and used her magic to scribble that down on her notepad.

“I shall get that right to you.” Solar stowed her notes away in her apron pocket, then gave the trio a good-natured smile. “If you three need anything, please do not hesitate to call!”

And, just like that, she was gone, headed for the bar to grab drinks. The trio watched her go, unable to tear their gazes from her, though there seemed to be multiple reasons for the stares. She seemed not to notice the three sets of eyes glued to her, even as she filled the flagons and brought them to the table. She smiled, gave a little curtsy, and disappeared in the bustle of the bar in order to serve other patrons. When she was out of earshot, the trio finally let out what they were thinking, almost simultaneously.

“What fresh hell is this?!” demanded Raven.

“How did she find us?” Luna kept her voice hushed, low, and dripping with panic.

“Goddess above, she’s beautiful,” sighed Garrus wistfully. The mares at the table looked at him as if he had sprouted a second head. “What?”

“Have you gone mad, Griffon?” asked Luna. “Or are you just as dumb as you look?”

“Seriously, Gary, what the hell?” Raven drained her beer immediately, then stood up to gather her things. “We need to get out of here?”

“For once, you’re right, Inkwell.” Luna similarly finished her drink and began packing up, ready to leave at a moment’s notice. “I don’t know where we plan to meet next, but it can’t be here. Let’s just hope she doesn’t recognize me and incorrectly assumed that you two losers have a social life.”

“Wait, wait, wait,” said Garrus, shaking his head. “What’s happening? Where are we going? What’s your problem with Solar Flare?”

The mares stared at Garrus for a moment before they each grabbed him by the arm and lifted him up, preparing to drag him out of the bar.

“That’s Celestia!” hissed Raven. Garrus was about to argue with that notion. He was about to reason that it would make no sense for Celestia to be there, and that the odds of her showing up must’ve been incredibly minute. He was also going to say that, if that was really Celestia, she probably wouldn’t look similar to her or have a similar name, because that wouldn’t make for a very good disguise. He was about to call the very idea ridiculous.

Garrus then took one look at Moon Shine, and he felt his every argument fall apart.

“Son of a bitch…” he said, grabbing up his beer and draining it in one big swig. “Let’s go!”

Author's Note:

If you like this story and wish to see more of it, or otherwise support me to allow me to do pesky things like put food on the table, then consider buying me a coffee:https://ko-fi.com/chillybook