• ...
5
 5
 879

My domain

It is dawn now and after another night of soirées I find myself growing weary of the usual sycophancy. I can't say I particularly hate it, but over indulgence of a good thing spoils the flavour of the finer things in life. And so there I was on top of the world, looking down on high in the highest balcony of the royal sisters' Canterlot castle. The very same one they use to observe the city below. Out of respect for me they left their station so that I may have my moment of peace. And so there I was, keeping a constant vigil for the welfare of my subjects. That's right, my subjects.

The morning was quiet, the distant melody of music and the cacophony of chattering ponies a distant memory.. And even in these lofty heights, the winds blew barely a whisper. I have been away for quite a long time, I realise. But I like it here, alone with my thoughts, here I could throw caution to the wind.

"You go and do this song and dance about no pony being worth your valuable time and yet here you are... whiling away your precious time watching them all." But as always, the peace never lasts. A voice spoke out behind me in that heavy trottingham accent of his.

Fancy pants. Once upon a time he prided himself with the honour of being my mentor. Years after, I now find that the habit of thinking himself superior to me has not died down. This is what happens when you give power to such a lowly breed of pony. You show a little humility and suddenly the city rallies around him and not I. Aunt Celestia certainly works fate in mysterious ways.

Exasperatedly with a small measure of contempt I turned to face the old stallion.

"I am merely looking upon all that is mine." Ponies like you and you for example. I leered slightly, making a point to look both Fancy Pants and my borrowed trophy Fleur in the eyes. It irked me to no end as she draped herself over his back like that. And clearly she was having a ball knowingly doing it at my expense.

"So you at least care for them by principle of possessions..." Fancy pants began, seemingly and infuriatingly undaunted by my greatness.

"Listen peasant. You have no place in speaking of my opinion on my subjects. You do not exist in Equestria for me to care for. You exist to amuse me and I will do so in any way I wish!" It was about time this upstart knew his place. I am the direct descendant of the ruler of Unicornia, I deserve this pony's fealty and servitude. Not backtalk and undermining of my word. My word is mandate and infallible!

"The prince doth protest too much." Fleur giggled to her jab, Fancy Pants smirked and I rolled my eyes. Teach a mare a little Quiver quill and suddenly she thinks herself a scholarly wit.

Disgusted I left them to amuse themselves with their simple-minded humours.

-

I let that night's events stew away as I secluded myself in my estate. I entertained myself with the usual friendly visits of ambitious mares. Taking it upon themselves, to speak their concerns of my well-being. After all, no Canterlot event was worth the grandeur it held without the crown prince himself to grace it with his presence. The ignored invites were starting to be noticed, if the shower of gifts (bribes) and mares (negotiators and spies) was any indication.

That'll show Fancy pants. That old stallion indeed had his power circle, but the greatest and most powerful were under his own control. With me absent, everypony else would be as well and the whole of Canterlot would fall into social stagnation.

"My prince?" a voiced called over to me, and then a chorus of such voices echoed. The three mares that had spent the night with me had finally awoken, joining me by my mansion's rooftop. There is just simply no way to start the morning that can equal staring out into a new dawn.

"Look there my sweets." I beckoned them hither and they eagerly obeyed. I spread my arms wide and held them close to me.

"Look out into this city my mares. Everything the light touches is mine and no pony in all of Equestria can take that away from me."

Not even Fancy pants. The mare remained silent.

"Do you not agree?"

-

Every time I look at the mares in this city I see nothing but ambition. When they look at me, they look straight through me and merely focus on what I represent. I am a well of wealth, of money, title, reputation, land and prosperity. When they look at me they do not see the wondrous prince of the land, who's generosity knows no end as he wastes his time by being in their intimate presence.

Nay

Mares think they can break me, that they can merely charm their way into royalty and be done with me. Oh I know for sure. This is no delusion of mine, I promise you. I have loved once, a horrible mistake. I loved a power hungry mare that had me wrapped around her hoof, her beauty and grace enamoured me into submission. Like a lowly earth pony I slaved at her beck and call, by her will I existed to please and by her fickleness she broke my heart.

"Fleur you wench. Never again." And with her I realised that everypony near me is just like her. Thinking themselves able to own one such as I, when in reality I, by mandate, own them.

Indeed never again. I had learned my lesson and I learned well from my heart breaking teacher. I played the games she had played, I broke hearts like how she broke hearts and I gained exponential to what she could gain. Eventually I had power over this city that no pony, not even Celestia, could know... Nay. That's wrong. It's more like they began to realise how much power I have over them, like pennies and wool dropping all across the city.

Now, I have fathers throwing their daughters to my bed for my favours, I have wives giving their fortunes for my favours. And I broke upstarts thinking themselves my mistress, only to become one of my many mistresses. The ponies loved me, while I continued to hurt and ruin them. They are my playthings, begging for my touch in their lives.

And with that the prey became the predator.

I took such great pleasure breaking them, at first standing so tall with pride and speaking to me with such confidence as they weaved the mastery of their wily craft to futilely attempt to charm. You can't charm prince charming, foals. Sometimes slow and other times swift and brutal I broke them, branding into their mind just who they belonged to. Just who's life they lived for, making them realise that their self value was given onto them by me and me alone.

However, today I met a mare that was a little different.

"Anything you can do I can do better." She had said.

This mare didn't want to use me or gain from me. This one had a soul that thought herself invaluable and precious. A mare among mares, a unicorn amongst the most powerful of unicorns. A title-less vagabond thought herself the greatest living thing in all of Equestria.

This one, unlike Fancy pants, actually intended to out do me. This one didn't merely present herself as if she were superior like that old colt. This one wanted to defeat me. To prove superiority by evidence of action, something Fancy Pants never had the gut for, the cowardly socialite.

However as intriguing as this self proclaimed great and powerful Trixie is, she would pay dearly for her impudence. Just another example for the many to see.

For no pony was superior to the greatness that is me. No amount of wishing or proclaiming would make it otherwise. And I was going to show them, like many times before, how infallible that statement is.