• Published 30th Jun 2017
  • 4,920 Views, 162 Comments

(Not) Black and White: A Displaced Fic - Masterweaver



So, the thing is, I really don't think I was the guy that the Merchant was expecting...

  • ...
15
 162
 4,920

Rescue

I should probably explain Equestria, before I go any further.

A lot of you know the basics, no doubt: it's a magical land inhabited by colorful quadrupeds that are called ponies even though from the neck up they resemble meerkats in wigs. These creatures have made their own civilization, using the magic of single-horned unicorns, the weather control of winged pegasi, and the sheer tenacity of the tribe called earth ponies that don't have any visible bonuses but basically outnumber the other two kinds combined. Their princesses are all blends of the three tribes and, aside from their legislative duties, do minor things like move the sun and moon around.

Let me repeat that: Moving the sun and moon is important, but considered MINOR.

Just... just let that settle for a moment.

These colorful talking ponies live in a world with dragons, monsters, and literal chaos spirits, and they are top dog. Yes, they get attacked by other inhabitants--quite frequently, as a matter of fact. Yes, most of them are a touch above useless, in that they will evacuate themselves and let the local militia handle the issue. And, yes, the militia tends to fall under 'ragtag bunch of heroes' category--I mean the most famous group includes maybe one with military training, who isn't even the leader, alongside a dressmaker and a party planner. But here's the thing: It Works.

And yet, somehow, they're still afraid of Everfree Forest. It might just be a cultural artifact, the sun and moon princess fought a terrible battle in the castle at the center of the place, but from what I understand of magical theory it's more likely that the whole region has... broken magic. What ponies consider ordinary necessity is fundamentally impossible in these woods. And maybe that's because of the Sun/Moon fight, or maybe it's what caused the Sun/Moon fight, I don't know, but it does mean that the creatures that live in the forest are very dangerous. Even the dragons are tougher then usual. And don't get me started about the starbeasts...

The point is, I had landed in the middle of a no-man's land filled with beasts and spirits that would willingly tear me to shreds. The ponies had been scaring most of them back into complacency ever since... well, since they dealt with the fallout of the moon princess's banishment, but that protection didn't extend to me. Not one bit. So in retrospect, I was extremely lucky that Zecora found me....


So there I was, carefully walking through a forest that seemed right out of every fantasy work ever. The branches were creaking and casting shadows, odd vines and glowing plants seemed to crop up every three feet, and the aggressive caws of what I hoped were just crows echoed through the trees. What little sunlight trickled through the leaves illuminated nothing of use; a bush, a stick, a rock.

Have I mentioned that before this, I basically never went camping?

I did sort of have a plan, though. Kind of. I needed to find a source of water, and, logically, since the local animals would need to drink water, all I needed to do was find some tracks and follow them to find a river. Granted, that might have meant running into the creatures, but that incident with the lion thing had proven I was capable of getting out of range very fast.

Somehow.

I still didn't understand how I pulled that off, but I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth until I was at least safely out of the range of the death forest of doom. I knew, in the back of my mind, that I would have to address the issue at some point, but I figured spacing out my freakouts would be better in the long run.

"Come on, come on..." I looked over the ground carefully, examining every patch of dirt. "Give me a pawprint, or something. There's got to be enough prey to feed whatever that thing was...."

My eyes fell on a squarish imprint with three lines jutting off one edge.

"Bingo."

With great care, I pulled out the mysterious folding-sword-with-a-gun, slowly brushing through the underbrush. As I had expected, the print was only a short distance from another, and another... a trail I could follow, and follow I did, warily keeping my ears open for any sudden rustles or menacing rumbles. Well, at first at least. I'll admit, actually knowing my plan was working got me to lower my guard just a little too much.

I glanced up from the pawprints, sliced through a bush, and came face to face with the creature that had made it in the first place. And his pals. All five of them.

The internet will throw up strange things some times. Like, for example, pictures of driftwood sculptures. They're very... interesting to look at; the artist takes bits of unformed wood and sticks them together in a roughly humanoid shape. Just in the pictures where they're standing in the forest, you sort of... expect them to move, even though you know they can't. They look like actual muscles intertwined together.

For a brief moment I thought I'd come across some rogue gallery of such things. Granted, the wood was more carved and formed, and had more canid shapes, and the twelve glowing eyes were somewhat unique, but hey different strokes for different folks, right?

Then the one looking at me raised its haunches and growled, a foul-smelling mist pouring from its muzzle.

"Okay, I can handle this. Mysterious instant expert sword powers, activate!"

Absolutely nothing happened.

"Um." I looked down at the sword, then up at the wooden monster. "I'm sure it'll come to me. Seriously. I mean it did before--"

The wolf chose that moment to lunge at my face. I was only just barely able to bring the blade between me and the thick stakes that qualified as teeth, a small cry of pain escaping my lips as the curved claws cut into my bare shoulders; a quick twist managed to force the creature to the ground, which was followed swiftly by a stomp to the creature's chest.

Its hollow chest. Which shattered around my leather boot. Trapping me in place.

"Oh what the frick."

A greenish light spiraled out of the pile of branches and logs around my foot, swiftly gathering into another nearby pile of twigs and bark. My eyes went wide as it started to twitch, individual components levitating into an already too familiar outline. The other wolves, one by one, let out a series of howls, approaching me slowly even as wedged the sword into the pile of timber holding me hostage.

"Come on, come on, leverage, sharp blade, come on...!"

I probably should have just pulled my foot out--I probably could have just pulled my foot out, knowing what I do now. But I was in a foreign land, with a strange body, and impossible creatures were clearly getting ready to maul me. A lot of my brainpower was wrapped up in just comprehending the situation, which didn't leave much for critical thinking. By all rights, I should have died right then and there.

In fact, when one of the wolves finally pounced, I assumed I was going to die then and there. I remember it very clearly; it was mid jump, I had turned to look at it, and right through my thoughts was 'Welp. This is it, ain't it. I wonder how much having your throat torn out hurts?'

And then, something that looked for all the world like an oversized zebra plushie whisked in from the side, one black hoof expertly separating head from body, while another slid to a stop in the dirt and a gold-clad third slapped the remnants away with a bamboo staff.

How did I react to this new development? By staring. My brain was basically just stuttering at what had just happened, since it had basically come out of nowhere--which really seemed to be happening a lot recently.

The other wolves seemed to hesitate, just for a brief moment, before as one charging the equine before me. Two flanked and two lunged, and the zebra reared up and twirled the staff--it, it's hard to describe, really. One wolf was flung into another, the zebra leaned back to dodge the third and the fourth was hooked mid jump and swung with ease into the other three. A great clattering sound signaled the disintegration of their bodies, even as the green light animating them started to hover into the air together.

I was still staring when the zebra turned around and examined my trapped foot. It wasn't until the bamboo staff came down on the mound of wood and somehow shifted it that I snapped out of my shock, managing to pull myself free.

"Oh. Uh... thanks. Really. I--"

"We should not tarry overlong," the zebra stated in a calm feminine voice. "When the wolves reform, they will be strong."

"Uh... right." I considered saying... anything, really, but given my mental state, I decided against it.

Instead, I followed the zebra--whose head only just reached above my waist--as she walked swiftly through the woods.