• Published 29th Jun 2017
  • 2,034 Views, 32 Comments

Colorless Magic - SparkStone



A human boy gets a new life under the wings of Rainbow Dash. After gaining family and friends, he pursues to find out more about himself.

  • ...
5
 32
 2,034

Where the Rainbow ends (Part 2)

Monochrome was riding on a chariot pulled by the pegasus. He was riding with the two adults he met before as they were taking him to Canterlot. At the city were tall and fancy marvels. Among those city structures were crowds of unicorns strolling the streets. It was quite a view, and a first for him to see the many different types of equines. He was only used to seeing pegasus, but now he sees ponies with horns on their heads. The adult with thick glasses tapped his shoulder.

“We’re heading straight for the castle and going to begin the testing as soon as possible. Are you feeling well?”

“Yes, I managed to eat breakfast before leaving.” Monochrome assured him.

“It’s good to start the day with a healthy meal.” He said with a grin. “Knowing your parents, they can make an overabundance of food though.”

“So how did you meet them?”

“I was the doctor they hired when Rainbow Dash was born. Then they asked me to do a checkup on her every day for the next three years. It took a long time to convince them that she would be fine before my career suddenly shifted to checkups and research of Canterlot.”

Monochrome wasn’t sure how to react to that. “You did a checkup on Rainbow for three years?”

“Yes, I do. Admittedly, I came to Cloudsdale again to check on her. I guess those habits tend to stick on you more than you would think.”

As the group landed, they went inside the castle. Many beautiful glass panes of all colors shined a rainbow of sunlight. The hallways had a long line of carpet going through, and there were pillars that had a heavenly feel to them. As they went in further to the research room, he happened to pass by a violet unicorn filly who was also being accompanied by adults. She looked at the human for a while until Monochrome would eventually leave her sight completely.

“Twilight Sparkle?” The mare called her.

“Huh!? Y-Yes?” She responded in a panic.

“You will be called in a few hours. Please be ready by then.”

“Yes mam.”

The filly continued walking with the mare and the other adults while wondering about what she saw just now.


Monochrome was watching the ponies in lab coats running back and forth, trying to get their work done efficiently. They took out a hair sample, blood sample, and some saliva. Monochrome was a bit startled when they were extracting blood, but he managed to go through with it. The stallion with thick glasses came back with some news.

“We received a lot of the materials we needed so far, but processing the information will take a while. Would you like to walk around the castle until we finish?”

“That would be nice.”

Monochrome left the room with a guard accompanying him. As the researchers returned to their work, the human boy strolled down what felt like an endless hallway. He traveled what seemed to be a castle of wonders, but it felt more like a quiet monument. There was almost nothing going on right now. He was left bored with himself and the guard. He would talk to the guard, but he seems to be too reserved in his own thoughts. As Monochrome continued to walk down the castle, he noticed a library. Deciding to take a read, he opens the door to find not only the countless books among the walls, but a filly frantically reading as many as she could. When the sound of the door opening echoed throughout the library, the filly turned around. It was the same unicorn filly he saw before. She was of all different shades of purple, from her coat to her eyes to even her mane. The filly looked at the human with black hair and a swirl of white. His clothes were of black and white as well.

“Who… are you?” She asked.

“Um… I’m Monochrome.” He answered, scratching his head. “I’m just staying at Canterlot for a little while.”

“Oh… Um… I’m Twilight Sparkle.” She introduced herself. “I’m here to do a test to get into a magic school.”

“I’ve never been to a magic school before.” Monochrome stated. “I’ve only been to a flight school, but I was never able to attend.”

“A flight school?” She repeated, befuddled. “Where do you live?”

“I live in Cloudsdale. My family adopted me when I was stuck on a cloud.”

“You can stand on clouds? Even if you don’t have any wings?” Twilight noted with much curiosity. “That’s… interesting.”

“I’m here so the doctors can learn more about me. About humans.”

“Humans? Is that what you are?”

Monochrome nodded, making Twilight perk up a bit from her frantic nature earlier.

“That’s very neat! Is it possible if we can talk about this some more later?”

“I’m not going to stay here in Canterlot for long, but I’ll be happy to talk while I’m here.”

As they discussed the matter, a mare walked in and called for the violet filly.

“Twilight Sparkle, we’re ready to see you. If you’ll come with me.”

The violet filly gave a huff of nervousness as she stood up. Monochrome watched her as she paced herself slowly to the mare. Monochrome, feeling worried for her, wanted to help her cheer up. He got up and walked with Twilight.

“If it’s alright, we could talk more after you pass your test?”

Twilight felt a bit calmer with Monochrome coming with her. Feeling better, she nodded in agreement. “Yes, that would be ideal.”


Meanwhile in Cloudsdale, Rainbow, Gilda, and Fluttershy was attending the Summer Flight Camp. The trio went forth and did many lessons for those wanting to fly even higher and further. Rainbow eagerly showed off her energy and skills, but also accidentally hitting her face on some boundary walls. Gilda simply did the trial standards and took a long break right after. Fluttershy was however struggling as usual, barely making the standards of flight if at all.

After the first trials were done, they had a half hour recess. At the moment, Fluttershy was sitting around, trying to catch her breath.

“That was tiring…” She sighed before looking down to the surface of Equestria. She then thought about her friend and how he was doing. She couldn’t help but wonder if he was okay. So far however, she feels confident that Monochrome will find what he was looking for.

As Fluttershy was thinking to herself, three colts came by after they spotted the filly. She knew who they were however. She knew they were coming only to mock her flying. As unfortunate as it was, she was correct on her suspicions.

“Hey, you’re that girl that tripped over everyone on the flying hoops!” One of them pointed out. “Geez, where’d you learn to fly?”

“Oh, um…” Fluttershy murmured, hesitant to speak.

“What’s wrong klutz? To dizzy to speak?” He teased her.

“M-My name is Fluttershy…” She spoke.

“Fluttershy? More like Klutzershy!” Another one sneered.

“Ha! That’s a good one!” He laughed.

Fluttershy tried her best to stand her ground. In the hour of need, Rainbow came down and defended her.

“Leave her alone!” Rainbow told them.

“Oh look, it’s Rainbow Crash.” Another one of them teased.

“Rainbow, you don’t have to-” Fluttershy spoke, only to be assured by her friend.

“Don’t sweat it Fluttershy!” Rainbow told her. “As for you three, you better step off!”

“Don’t act like such a big shot, Rainbow Crash!” He lectured. “You gotta prove your worth before you say stuff like that.”

“Compared to you bozos? Easy!” She taunted.

“Alright then.” He scoffed. “We’ll settle this with a race.”

“You’re on!”

A few minutes later, two of them stand behind the line to race. Fluttershy played the role of the starter of the race. With the flag raised up high, the two were positioned to take flight. When the flag was lowered, they flew off at incredible speed. The ponies who were watching were excited and cheering the kids on, unaware that the sudden flight caused Fluttershy to fall off of the clouds and down to the surface.


Back at Canterlot, Monochrome watched Twilight as she confronted the staff. They prepared their clipboards and were ready to examine her performance. Twilight’s parents and her new friend, Monochrome, were giving her a smiling confidence. The staff calls in the test, and out comes a dragon egg. Monochrome has never seen such a thing before, and was already excited.

“Whoa…”

“Now, try to hatch the egg.” One of the staff spoke.

Twilight widened her eyes, not expecting such a task to be brought out. She looks at the egg and tries to figure out what to do. Monochrome didn’t have to know much about magic to know how hard it was to hatch the egg. As she tried her best to find a solution and use some of her magic, she couldn’t figure it out. She hangs her head down in defeat and turns to the staff.

“I’m… Sorry I wasted your time…”

She began to walk away from the egg in utter defeat. Monochrome was about to comfort her until suddenly, a loud, colorful explosion erupted from outside. He looked out the window for a moment to see the source before turning back to Twilight to see something supernatural occur.

Twilight began to erupt magic everywhere, transforming the plants, her parents, and the staff into many things. Monochrome was shocked and began to back away from the raw power until one happened to strike him dead on. He crashes to the wall, feeling some pain. Looking back up, he sees Twilight still shooting out countless spells in random directions. Understanding that he needed to stop the magic, he lifted his body from the ground and struggled to reach her. Step by step, he makes it to her without any of the magic hitting him twice. Placing his hand onto her hoof, the filly turns to him. Monochrome sighs in relief and smiles as he knew Twilight began to calm down again. Exhausted from the event, he blacks out.

Author's Note:

He's dead. The end. :twilightoops: