• Published 24th Jun 2017
  • 1,833 Views, 61 Comments

Synchrony - Fangren



It's Saturday, and everyone in Canterlot City has things to do. But trouble waits for nobody, and a few chance encounters are all it takes to send things spiraling out of control.

  • ...
1
 61
 1,833

Chapter 11 - Distress of the Lovers

“Let's see,” Rarity said as she made a show of looking over her menu one last time. “I shall have the... house salad, with the red wine vinaigrette if you please, my good sir,” she told the waiter, handing him the menu and smiling politely. “And an iced tea, of course,” she added as though an afterthought.

The tall, slick-haired man took it without comment and tucked it under his arm. “But of course, miss,” he told Rarity, his voice as stiffly formal as his all-black uniform. He glanced down at Applejack through lazily narrowed eyes, and asked, “And what will you be having, miss?”

Applejack, slightly startled by the sudden address, looked up from her menu. “Uhh, hold on, just one more second,” she said quickly, eyes darting back to the menu and then to Rarity. “You certain the food here is all sized regular?” she asked her date. “Cause the last time I went to a restaurant as fancy as this the meals came out lookin' like they could fit all in a single spoon.”

Rarity flushed, her wide-eyed gaze moving quickly towards the waiter – he was still looking at them with a rather bored expression. She coughed lightly into her fist, then answered, “Ah, yes, I assure you the portions here will be more than adequate to satisfy your appetite.”

“Alright,” Applejack said, satisfied even if she was still reading the menu. “Well in that case,” she said to the waiter, “I guess I'll just have yer fancy Phoenix Burger, with none of the extra fixin's.” She paused a moment, then added, “And, uh, just a plain water I guess.”

“Understood, miss,” the waiter said with a nod. “Will that be all, or can I interest you in our appetizers?”

The girls shared a brief look. “Hrmm... the avocado toast did look good...,” Rarity mused, prompting Applejack to raise a brow. “But,” Rarity primly countered herself, “we already agreed to keep things light. So no thank you.”

The waiter returned her nod, spun on his heel, and walked back inside the Phoenix Rising. The café was a fairly small building, surprising for a place that Rarity had long heard talk of as one of the go-to establishments of Queen's Park, but perhaps not too surprising. Real estate in the park was expensive, or so she'd heard, and the hill the café had been built on was only so large. And honestly the small size worked out in their favor, she decided as she waited for their order on the mostly-deserted veranda. Less seating space meant fewer people, which meant lower risk of her and Applejack being outed before they were ready.

And, of course, the view of the park was to die for. She and Applejack had spent a good few minutes just standing around taking in the scenic panorama before they'd even gone inside to make themselves known. Acres upon acres of green grass and blue lakes, crisscrossed by the paths they themselves had walked not too long before and dotted with buildings and people. So many people. It was like something out of a painting, and she'd remarked as such to Applejack who'd laughed and agreed wholeheartedly.

It was still quite an excellent view from their seats, well-shaded by the canvas awning and with a nice cross-breeze blowing past them.

“So...,” Applejack began awkwardly after a few moments of silence, but quickly trailed off. She and Rarity had spoken quite a bit just on the way here, and Applejack feared that she'd already run out of things to talk about. But after seeing a similarly awkward look in her girlfriend's eyes, her gaze drifted a bit and she ended up letting loose the first question that came to her.

“Uh, I like your outfit. You get it just for the date?” she asked, still mostly looking at Rarity's ensemble – snow white sundress with lavender trim, and a matching wide-brimmed hat. Her clothes were a tad dusted what with all the walking and such, but they still looked fittingly elegant to Applejack.

Rarity glanced down at her clothes for just a moment, saying, “Oh, these? Well, I didn't buy them solely for today's occasion, but this is the first time I've worn them. I'm glad you like them,” she said with a smile. “And I'm also glad you kept that top in such good condition since camp,” she said with a nod towards Applejack's own outfit.

Applejack chuckled. “Well, I figured I oughta have some good clothes lying around for days like this. Though I hope you'll forgive me fer wearin' different shorts with it.”

“Oh, darling, it's not a problem at all!” Rarity replied with a dismissive hand-wave. “A girl must be willing to mix-and-match her outfits, after all.”

“I guess so,” Applejack said with another round of chuckling.

Rarity nodded emphatically. “If you'd like, I'd be more than willing to create more garments for you to expand your wardrobe a tad.”

Applejack flushed. “Uh, thanks for the offer and all, but I don't want you to go to so much trouble. Ya already set up the date, and I don't want you spendin' more money on me when ya should be focusin' on that business of yours.”

“Come now,” Rarity frowned, “I'd be happy to create something nice for you! Money isn't an issue at all.” She shook her head in stubborn defiance.

Applejack sighed, but before she could retort she was distracted by a loud buzz from her pocket. “Whoops,” she told her date, awkwardly chuckling as she reached into her pocket. “I'll just turn this off so we can enjoy the rest of our date in peace.”

“Well, fine,” Rarity replied, frowning slightly as she leaned forward in obvious interest. “But at least read it first. It might be Twilight with an update on that mystery girl she saw!”

“Yeah yeah, I got it,” Applejack told her before finally opening the text message. Her brow creased with alarming rapidity as she read it.

“What's wrong?” Rarity asked.

Applejack stared at her phone, dumbfounded, for several more seconds before answering. “Apparently, my sister ran into someone who looks an awful lot like Sunset,” she explained, leading Rarity to furrow her brow in thought. “And Apple Bloom wants to know if there could be two Sunsets runnin' around. Y'know, on account of that basic'ly bein' the truth for Twilight.”

“I see...,” Rarity said curtly. “Well, it's obviously possible, but I don't think we should act on this until we're certain of what they saw. You know how imaginative our sisters are. Who's to say she didn't simply see the Sunset Shimmer she already knows?”

“Yeah, that's what I thought,” Applejack said with a nod, already composing a quick reply text. She sent it off, then looked up at Rarity. “But still. If this is for real, I reckon Sunset's gonna be more excited than a hog at dinnertime when she hears it!”

Rarity smiled softly. “I couldn't agree more, darling.”

Another text came. “Welp, Apple Bloom seems pretty sure about this,” Applejack said, already typing out her reply. "Seems Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and even Big McIntosh saw her as well! I'm askin' her for more information now.”

Rarity perked up immediately. “Ooh, this is so exciting!” she squealed, shaking her fists in delight. “I never expected something like this to happen on our first date in a million years!”

Applejack couldn't help but laugh. “Yeah. Might just make it even more memorable than it already is!”

The next text arrived. “Huh. Apparently this other Sunset's some kinda biker? A mean one, too. She also says she didn't recognize them.”

Rarity let out a delighted gasp. “Then it simply must be this world's Sunset! ”

“Yup, I can't see who else it would be,” Applejack nodded, soon turning her attention to her next message. “Just gimme a minute to tell Apple Bloom some things, and I'll give Sunset – er, our Sunset – the good news.”

“I was just about to say,” Rarity said, one hand in her purse. “Are you sure you don't want me to do it?”

Applejack shook her head. “It's fine. Apple Bloom was the one who told us, so it's only right that I be the one to pass it along to Sunset.” She sent off her longest reply yet to her sister, then took a breath and began the next – to Sunset, kept short and sweet.

She and Rarity waited with bated breath, and neither were surprised to hear the response come in shortly after. “What does it say?” Rarity asked, leaning over with great interest to try for a better view. “She's shocked, isn't she? Disbelieving?”

“She wants to know what she's like, actually,” Applejack answered with blunt surprise. “The other her, I mean. Didn't even ask for proof she's real.” She shrugged, and set out to pass along Apple Bloom's description of her.

“Does she know something we don't?” Rarity wondered aloud, shifting back into her seat. “Or does she not need it? I suppose with you being you, there's no reason to doubt the message. But still... perhaps she's simply eager enough to take every claim at face value?”

Applejack shrugged again. “I reckon she just doesn't need the proof.” She set her phone down on the table. “We all know I don't lie. Keep secrets, maybe...,” she said, averting her gaze for a split-second, “but Sunset knows I'd never tell her somethin' like this if I wasn't sure about it bein' true.”

Rarity sighed. “Yes, I suppose you're right. I don't know what I was thinking... I suppose I was simply surprised by her immediate response. Usually she's more incredulous.”

“I think I get what yer sayin',” Applejack said, leaning back slightly and staring up at the awning above them. “But in this case I figure she was already expectin' the other her to be out there,” she added with a vague, wrist-rolling hand gesture.

“Mm,” was all Rarity could say before the conversation petered out. She perked up shortly after, however, upon sighting the waiter return carrying their drinks – just as Applejack's phone went off again.

“Ah, thank you very much, my good sir,” she told him as he set down her iced tea and her date's water, the other girl still preoccupied with the message she'd gotten.

“You're welcome,” the waiter replied. “Your meals shall be a few more minutes.”

With that he bowed to Rarity, glanced at Applejack – who gave a hurried “Yeah, thanks!” when she realized what was up – and left them to themselves.

“So what is it, darling?” Rarity asked, interest renewed.

“Not much,” Applejack answered with a light frown. “She just wants me to get more information from Apple Bloom.” She sighed, sent off a quick reply, then started work on a text to her sister. “Wish I'd known how much time on my first date I'd be spendin' talkin' to folks other than my date, though,” she muttered.

She groaned when yet another text interrupted her while she was still typing. “Dang it,” she said.

“I'm starting to understand your complaint,” Rarity said with a wry smile.

Applejack sighed in annoyance. “Now Apple Bloom's askin' if she and her friends can go off searchin' for this mystery Sunset they saw.”

Rarity quirked an eyebrow. “Is that a problem? The girls are with your brother, are they not? If they're willing to help with this little matter, I'm fine with letting them.”

Applejack shook her head. “Big Mac's got a big long list of errands to run for Granny,” she explained. “And if I know him, he's not gonna wanna ignore 'em to go off huntin' for some girl that, from the sound of it, wants nothin' to do with 'em. Sure as shoot I bet our sisters are tryin' to go after her alone.”

“And? I hardly see the harm in it,” Rarity said after a moment. “I'll admit it's hard thinking of Sweetie Belle as anything besides my adorable baby sister, but the fact is she isn't that much younger than us. Our little friend group went on adventures when we were their age; I hardly find it fair to deny them the same liberty even if I do have my misgivings.”

It was Applejack's turn to quirk an eyebrow. “Rarity, our 'adventures' back then were us meetin' at the mall and then leavin' to go somewhere else in secret. We never tried to roam through half the city lookin' for some kinda alternate dimensional whatever of a family friend! Or of anyone!”

“So?” Rarity replied, sitting up primly as she crossed her arms in defiance. “Their goal may be different, but the principle is the same.”

Applejack sighed deeply, resting her forehead on her hand. “That's not... Look, I ain't sayin' I don't see your point. I just don't like it.”

“Think of it this way,” Rarity said quickly, shifting her weight forward. “Do you honestly believe our sisters will stay put if you tell them to?”

Another sigh, followed by a reluctant “No...”

Rarity nodded. “Exactly. So would you rather they work with us, or in secret?”

“With us...”

“Then—”

“But I ain't givin' in that easily,” she said, looking up at her girlfriend with renewed determination, or something of the sort. “Maybe it's just me bein' stubborn, but I'm at least gonna have 'em wait 'til we know what our Sunset wants from 'em.”

“Hmm... very well, if you must,” Rarity murmured in reply, already noticing her girlfriend hammering out a quick text.

“And I'm gonna get more information from them before I ask Sunset anything at all,” Applejack replied after a moment's pause from completing the latest text. She quickly started the next one.

Rarity could only smile to herself and shake her head lightly.

The message sent, the couple began to share their ideas about their world's Sunset's story: where she'd been and why she was only now showing her face in Canterlot, what the Sunset they knew and loved would do, and how likely their sisters were to actually find anything of use.

It was several minutes before they realized that Applejack hadn't yet gotten a reply to her request for more information.

“That's odd. Did she not get my message?” she asked, scratching her head as she looked through her text log. “Better ask again,” she added, repeating her previous two messages.

“Hrmm...,” Rarity murmured, having also taken out her own phone. “Perhaps I should ask Sweetie Belle as well,” she said, starting on her own text. “You know, in case your sister's phone is dead or something like that.”

“Good call. It ain't like Apple Bloom to just ignore me like that. Not unless she's gettin' herself into trouble, that is.”

The two fell silent as a wave of realization hit them. They shared a wide-eyed look, and Applejack picked up her phone again. “Maybe I'll just get in touch with Big Mac and see what he has to say.”

“Good idea,” Rarity told her, biting her bottom lip as she fought the urge to send another message to her sister. It wasn't long before she caved.

Before Applejack could make her call, however, someone else called first. She checked the name, and sighed in relief. “Looks like family thinks alike,” she commented before answering it. “Hello? Uh-huh? They what?! Ya don't say...”

Rarity, having already sent her sister yet another text and received no reply, watched intently as her girlfriend's visage fell into an unsurprised frown.

“Ya don't gotta apologize, Big Mac,” Applejack said next. “I was the one who wanted to know more about that girl y'all saw.” She winced a little as an angry shout came from the other end of the call. “Well it ain't like I told her to go runnin' off! I just said I wanted to wait ta hear what our Sunset had to say on the matter.” She paused, waiting, then said, “Well I haven't had the chance yet, I've been too busy tryin' to get in touch with Apple Bloom again. No, she ain't texted me back. Yeah, that sounds right.”

She went silent for a moment, then said, “It'll be alright, Big Mac. Those three might be troublemakers, but they're smart enough to know when they're in over their heads. Sooner or later they'll turn up, either with some kinda info or just bored and tired. I'm sure of it.” Another pause, and a sad sigh. “Yeah, well, just keep lookin' for 'em. Can't do much else than that. Let me know if ya find 'em, and I'll let ya know if Apple Bloom gets in touch. Talk to ya later.”

Applejack hung up after that, and sighed. “They ran off,” she said to her girlfriend's inquisitive look. “All three of 'em, right after they left the O'Patty's they were at. Big Mac's driving around lookin' for 'em and is gettin' all worked up and outta sorts cause he can't find 'em.”

Rarity frowned. “Well... that is about what we expected from the girls, is it not?”

“The runnin' off unsupervised part, yeah,” Applejack said. “But if they aren't textin' us back, who knows what could've happened to 'em!”

“Hopefully they simply set their phones to silent and forgot to check them in the excitement of their escape,” Rarity said, sighing and shaking her head. “I'd like to think that anything worse than that would have been seen by your brother.”

“Me too,” Applejack murmured, unable to keep doubt from creeping into her voice. Then she sighed. “Well, guess I might as well tell Sunset what's happenin' before she freaks out too about someone not gettin' back to her.”

“Hrmm, I suppose so,” Rarity said, finger on her lip and doubt on her visage. “Do break it gently to her, will you? I just know she'll get all out of sorts when she really shouldn't, particularly because there's nothing she can do in this situation.”

Applejack nodded, picking up her phone. “Right, I'll keep that in mind,” she said, thumbs hammering away.

And as she did, the waiter finally arrived with their meals. Rarity eyed her salad with sudden delight, smiling and taking a quick bite the moment it was set in front of her. “Oh, this is absolutely perfect,” she gushed. “Exactly what I wanted. Give my compliments to whomever created it, would you?” she asked of the waiter.

“But of course,” he answered with a short bow. He eyed Applejack, who was in turn now eyeing her burger, and asked, “Is there anything else I can do for the two of you?”

The girls shared a look. “I believe we're good, thanks,” Rarity answered.

“Eeyup,” Applejack said plainly, looking over her burger again.

The waiter bowed. “Then enjoy your meals,” he said before walking away.

Once he was out of sight, Rarity turned her attention back to Applejack. “Is there a problem?” she asked. “You don't look too certain about what you've ordered...”

“Huh?” Applejack grunted, looking up at her girlfriend and then back down at her burger. “Oh, sorry, I was just makin' sure it was exactly what I ordered. And I gotta say, it looks better than what I expected.”

She looked up again to see Rarity pouting. “Honestly, Applejack, why would I take you out somewhere if I didn't think you'd like their food?”

All Applejack could do was chuckle awkwardly. “Yeah, sorry,” she said. “Guess I still just ain't used to places like this yet. Heck, I've spent more time lookin' at my food than eatin' it!”

Rarity sighed, putting an elbow on the table and propping her head up in one hand. “Are you going to eat it?”

“I am, don't worry," she said. With a hopeful smile on her face Applejack picked up her Phoenix Burger and opened wide...

And her phone went off, and her face fell into a scowl. “Fate hates me, doesn't it?” she asked, wiping her fingers on her napkin and picking up her phone.

“I doubt it,” Rarity answered impishly between bites of her salad. “I mean, I'm in your life, after all.”

“I'd smile,” Applejack said as she read her latest text, “but, uh, now Sunset's gettin' all worked up over what happened with our sisters. Says we should call off the search for the other her and that Amethyst person and just focus on them.”

Rarity frowned, raising her head and folding her arms. “Poppycock! We can do all of that at the same time! What, does she expect us to not contact her if we see someone of interest?”

“Heck if I know,” Applejack answered, composing a reply with one thumb. “But it's dumb no matter how ya slice it. I appreciate the sentiment, but there's no need to have everybody drop everything when Apple Bloom and the others haven't even been gone half an hour yet!”

“Agreed,” Rarity said with a small nod. “There's no need for anyone to worry quite yet, least of all Sunset. She's welcome to look for them if she likes, of course, but you must make it clear that it isn't required.”

“Don't worry, I did,” Applejack said, finishing up her text. She set her phone down on the table, and sighed. “Some first date this is turnin' out to be...”

Applejack was surprised to hear Rarity laugh, though less so to feel her hand gingerly rest upon her own. “Oh, honestly, this is nothing!” Rarity said when Applejack looked up at her. “A few minor interruptions and rebellious little sisters? P-shaw,” she waved her hand dismissively, “there are far worse things that could happen on our first date.”

And then, with a deadpan expression and an eerily quiet voice, she added, “Trust me, darling, I've spent many a long night worrying over such things into the wee hours of the morning.” And then, abruptly, she smiled again and gave Applejack's hand a sharp pat. “Now, you'd better start eating your burger before it gets cold!”

Her smile brought out Applejack's smile, and soon she found herself chuckling. “Well okay then, if you insist,” she said, finally picking up her burger and taking a bite.


Lunch proceeded without issue, although the tension caused by their missing sisters never disappeared for long. Despite both girls making an effort to enjoy themselves, each other, the meal, and the day, neither could help occasionally checking their phones to see if they'd missed a message or to send another one out. Applejack struggled with this especially, as she had both her brother and Sunset trying to keep in touch as well.

“Still, it was a pretty good lunch,” Applejack said, giving her belly a satisfied pat as she leaned back a little and readjusted herself in her seat. “I could see myself comin' here again.”

Rarity beamed at her. “Oh, it's so good to hear that. I'll keep it in mind for future outings.”

Between the intensity of her girlfriend's gaze and the notion of another prospective date in the future, it was all Applejack could do to blush and chuckle. “Well okay then,” she eventually said. “What, uh, what's next on that schedule of yours?”

“Hmm...,” Rarity murmured, crossing one arm under the other and tapping her chin in thought. “Well, I was— ah, it'll have to wait, dearest, the check's arrived.”

Sure enough, their waiter walked up to them and dropped off their bill with a nod. “I trust you two enjoyed your meal?”

“But of course!” Rarity answered with a smile, setting her purse on the table after the waiter cleared away her plate.

“Excellent,” he said. “I shall return in just a moment.”

He left them again, and the pair's eyes soon drifted towards their bill – as did their hands, prompting a round of “Oops!” and “Sorry!” from each when they inadvertently touched.

“Sorry, dear, but I need to know how large of a tip to give our waiter,” Rarity said, still smiling apologetically as she picked up the bill.

“That's fine,” Applejack replied, arms falling to the table. “Just tell me how much it is so I can pay for my share of it.”

“Don't be silly, Applejack, I'll pay for the whole thing,” Rarity told her, eyes still on the check.

Applejack frowned. “Now you're the one bein' silly, Rarity. What makes ya think I'd be okay with you payin' for everything?”

“Ah—” Rarity began to answer, lowering the check just enough to show her date her flushed cheeks. “W-well, I mean, I am the one who set everything up, after all, isn't it natural? This is my treat!”

She was met with a deadpan stare. “I get that yer generous and all, but I can pay for my half of things at least. Heck, with how much I've been savin' up I can probably pay for even more!”

Rarity's words floundered for several seconds before she steeled herself. “I never said that you couldn't, Applejack,” she said with absolute firmness. “I merely meant that you shouldn't have to.” Her gaze softened, and she reached out to take Applejack's hands in her own. “This date is my gift to you, Applejack. Let me give it to you.”

Applejack looked from her, to their hands, and back again. And then she frowned. “No,” she said. “Our first date shouldn't be about gifts and the like. It should be about spendin' time with each other and enjoyin' one another's company without havin' to worry about who owes what!”

“But it is about that,” Rarity said, now frowning as well. “I never intended it to be about owing anything, I simply wanted to cover the expenses!”

“Well you don't gotta, and I don't want ya to,” Applejack replied, folding her arms and giving her girlfriend a stern look.

She sighed in defeat, her shoulders sagging as she slumped into her seat. “Very well. I'll curtail my generosity for now.”

A smile formed on Applejack's lips, but Rarity quieted her with a sound before she could say anything. “For now,” Rarity repeated, her gaze resolute.

The two held gazes for several seconds before breaking it in favor of light laughter. “Fine, fine,” Applejack said. “Now tell me how much my meal cost so I can pay for it,” she said, motioning for the check with one hand and reaching into her pocket with the other.


Once they'd worked out their shares of the bill and tip and paid accordingly, the two left the Phoenix Rising hand in hand. It didn't take long for conversation to start up again.

“So, uh, ya never did say what was next on your schedule,” Applejack began as they walked down the path away from the café.

Rarity blinked. “Hmm... I didn't, did I?” she murmured, putting a thoughtful finger to her lip. “Well, no matter. I had intended on us simply taking a relaxing stroll through downtown and then catching a movie, but I suppose we ought to focus on finding our sisters instead.”

Applejack sighed, adjusting her hat. “That's what I figured. It's a shame, too. Another walk sounds mighty fine to me,” she said, cracking a smile as she looked at her girlfriend who returned it with a faint blush. Applejack looked away, back at the downhill path they were on. “But with any luck we'll find out where they are pretty soon, and that they aren't in any trouble. Then we can go back to enjoying ourselves.”

“Agreed,” Rarity said, leaning closer to Applejack and frowning. “I can't say I'm confident, though. The city's awfully large, and we barely have any idea where they were when your brother lost them. Who knows where they could have gone by now!”

“Eeyup,” Applejack said, squeezing her hand. “We don't even know for sure where they were headed, aside from lookin' for that other Sunset.”

“We may have to simply ask around to see if anyone's seen them,” Rarity continued. “Perhaps get Rainbow Dash involved if we run across her again.”

“We could just text her,” Applejack suggested.

Rarity paused, forcing her partner to stop as well. “We could,” she eventually conceded. “Although that feels wrong somehow since you already told Sunset we didn't want her help.”

“This is different, though,” Applejack told her, although she still looked hesitant herself. “Or, kinda anyway. Dash and Scootaloo see each other as practically sisters, it's only right for her to know what's goin' on. Plus, with her speed and flyin', she can cover way more ground than the two of us ever could!”

“True...,” Rarity conceded once more, dipping her head slightly.

“Look, if you don't wanna tell her than I will,” Applejack said, reaching for her phone.

“No no,” came the reply with a quick shake of her head, “I'll do it. You're already our liaison with your brother and Sunset; I won't allow you to burden yourself with any more communication duties.”

Applejack could only smile and chuckle a little as Rarity pulled her phone out of her purse. After a moment of hemming and hawing she chose to call Rainbow Dash rather than instigate yet another text conversation, and the line was answered quickly.

“Hello Rainbow Dash, my sincerest apologies if I'm interrupting—” Rarity began, hastily leaning away from her phone as her friend's reply blasted through the receiver. “Y-yes,” she continued once she found the chance, “again, my sincerest apologies, I should have been far more considerate of your patrol and what you might be doing at the moment, but I felt that what I had to say should be said directly rather than through text.” With a brief nod at Applejack, the pair resumed walking.

She paused a few moments as she was answered, then smiled and said, “Well, to wit, have you seen Scootaloo and company recently? Say, in the last hour or so?” Another short pause, and Rarity's smile became wry. “It seems the three of them ditched Big McIntosh while they were out running errands to find, get this, this world's Sunset Shimmer.” Another pause, and her lips widened into a breathless grin. “I know! But don't you worry, our Sunset has already been informed.

“Ah, no, that's not why I called, Rainbow Dash,” Rarity continued after a reply, her expression now falling into mild annoyance. “I called because I'd like your help in locating our sisters. Sweetie Belle hasn't been answering my texts, you see, which is quite unlike her and I'm getting a little worried.

“Yes, I know they can handle themselves,” she said, now heading towards full-blown exasperation. “Goodness knows how many predicaments they've gotten themselves into and out of, mostly without our assistance. But the point remains that I'd like to at least know that they're safe while they're wandering around the city doing who knows what.” As she listened to Dash's reply, her grin returned. “You will? Oh, thank you darling! Ah, and no need to tell Applejack, she already knows.”

“Who do ya think told Rarity to begin with?” Applejack interrupted, leaning over her partner's shoulder to yell towards her phone.

It caused Rarity to stiffen. She heard the reply, and Rarity turned a forced smile to Applejack and said, “Rainbow Dash says hello, darling,” through clenched teeth.

Applejack gulped, though confusion never fully left her eyes. Rarity took a breath, and they resumed walking again. Her eyes widened briefly at something Dash said, and she forced a laugh. “Oh, well, we decided to work together to help Twilight,” she said quickly. “You know how it is. Talk to you later Rainbow Dash, and let us know if you find the girls!”

She ended the call then and there, giving Applejack the distinct impression that Rainbow Dash hadn't been finished talking. But before she could say anything regarding that, Rarity turned a harsh look her way.

“Applejack, why exactly did you take it upon yourself to let Rainbow Dash know that you were with me when you know I would prefer to keep our date a secret and in fact you already agreed to do just that?” she asked.

Applejack frowned as the realization hit her. “Sorry, Rarity, guess I forgot. Besides, Twilight at least already knows we're 'together' even if she thinks it's just cause we're trying to find that Amethyst character. What's the big deal if Rainbow Dash knows too?”

Rarity sighed. “The 'big deal' is that I'd rather not draw attention to that fact if we can at all help it. What if she'd asked more questions and I didn't know how to answer them?”

“Well she sure ain't gonna have questions now that ya hung up on like that,” Applejack replied, deadpan.

Rarity flushed. “Y-yes, I suppose that was a tad hasty on my part.” She sighed, and hung her head. “What am I going to do with myself?”

Applejack responded by pulling her closer and patting her on the back a few times as they walked. “It'll be fine. If Rainbow Dash asks us anythin', we'll think of somethin' to tell her when the time comes. But for now, I reckon she's more focused on other things and we should be too.”

“You're right,” Rarity said with a faint sniff. “I apologize for getting short with you, I simply panicked.”

“I know, sugarcube. I know.”


The pair took a far shorter path through Queen's Park than the meandering route they'd taken to lunch, and soon enough were back on the sidewalk heading towards where Rarity had parked her convertible. After confirming that Applejack's fritters were still fine and some deliberation regarding exactly where to start their search, they buckled up and hit the streets.

What followed was far too long a period of tedium as they drove all around the city, going down every side street and circling every block in their search. It was a fruitless effort, as they never caught wind of their sisters; even stopping to ask pedestrians – including the oddly common paparazzi that seemed to be out that day – resulted in no leads. They kept up communication with Big Mac and Sunset, but with each text explaining they had found nothing and heard no word, their moods worsened.

At one point they spotted Fluttershy walking a scruffy-looking terrier down the opposite side of the street from them and considered asking her for help, but decided against it.

“She looks like she's got something on her mind already,” Rarity reasoned as she watched her frowning friend from a three-way intersection. “I don't want to bother her with our problems as well.”

They continued onward after that, but it wasn't for some time that their luck changed for the better.


“Okay, lemme see now,” Applejack said as she surveyed a map of Canterlot on her phone. “We checked all around Queen's Park, and mosta downtown except west of the mall...”

“Well, we have better places to search than Restaurant Row, I'm afraid,” Rarity said as she turned the car down 10th Street.

Applejack nodded idly. “Crescent Pines, Gold Street, and all the other uppity-up neighborhoods around there were clear too. The Dell, Fountain Square, Crystal Prep...,” she listed off, swiping past each locale on her map.

“All we really have left are the suburbs,” Rarity noted grimly, “and the bad sides of town.”

“C'mon, Rarity, they ain't that bad,” Applejack told her, her tone scolding and her frown unamused.

“The ones where people live, perhaps,” Rarity countered. “But there's more abandoned buildings and abandoned garbage there than the rest of the city combined. Not to mention the establishments that only the worst of the worst would ever frequent. I shudder at the thought of dear Sweetie Belle roaming around such an area.”

“Well, chances are we're gonna have to at least pass through some of those places,” Applejack reasoned, looking back at her map. “Especially if our sisters are all that hot on the trail of the other Sunset.”

Rarity let out an indignant, scandalized gasp. “Are you implying that Sunset Shimmer's doppelganger is some sort of... of criminal?

Applejack rolled her eyes. “No, although based on how Apple Bloom described her I wouldn't be too surprised. More importantly, if this is the first we're seein' of her then I reckon there's a good chance she's in from outta town, which means she might be stayin' at some kinda hotel.”

“And if the girls are following her back to where she's staying...” Rarity murmured through a thoughtful frown.

“Then we might end up followin' them followin' her to one of the 'bad sides' of town,” Applejack finished. She adjusted her hat and looked up at the stoplight they were approaching. “Course, I could be completely wrong about that. She mighta just moved in somewhere in the suburbs, or maybe she was just passin' through on a trip somewhere else. Heck, chances are pretty good the girls lost her entirely and are just wanderin' around blindly and we missed 'em somewhere else!”

She'd thrown her arms up in the fervor of making her point, but when finished she let out a heavy sigh and let them flop back down. “Well, I tried. But I can't shake the feelin' that we're lookin' for three needles in the world's largest haystack here.”

“Hrmm,” Rarity murmured, “I do think you were onto something, at least. I think I'll broaden our search just a smidge.” She put on her left turn signal and changed lanes.

With no small amount of reluctance she began meandering their way southwest, and it didn't take long for the scenery to change. Traffic thinned as the rows of buildings faded from cramped and well-lived-in to merely cramped; windows boarded up, store signs faded or missing letters, long-forgotten litter nestled into nooks and back-alleys. Pedestrians were fewer too, and most of them looked to be of the same ilk of aimless paparazzi that they'd seen around all morning.

They asked several if they'd seen anyone like their sisters wandering around, and to their surprise one group had.

“Uhh, yeah,” one of the men said, “I think I saw three teenage girls walking around not too long ago. Don't know where they went, but they couldn't have gotten far.”

“Thank you for your help,” Rarity told him, handing him a few bills before peeling away with confidence swelling in her heart.

“You really think that guy was talkin' about our sisters?” Applejack asked after one last look at the man and his associates walking in the opposite direction. “He was awful vague, and the girls might not be the only group wanderin' around out here.”

“We'll find out soon enough, I'm sure,” was Rarity's reply, eyes facing forward and burning with determination.

To their surprise, 'soon enough' happened to be when they stopped at the next intersection.

“A-Apple Bloom?!” Applejack said first, doing a double-take upon seeing her sister and her friends approaching the corner from her right.

That exclamation provoked a wide-eyed “Sweetie Belle!” from Rarity.

“Rarity!”

“A-Applejack!”

The younger girls voiced their own surprise, stopping cold in their tracks. Their mouths were wide open in shock, and so were their sisters'.

Scootaloo looked from one pair to the other, and said, “Well, this was pretty unexpected. I thought for sure it would be Big McIntosh that found us first.”

Once the shock wore off, the words began to flow – and liberally. “Where have you been?” Rarity demanded of the trio. “We've been looking all over town for the three of you!”

“We've been following the other Sunset!” Sweetie quickly replied. “We're only helping our Sunset, so why are you acting like we're doing something horrible?!”

“We aren't,” Rarity countered, “we're just upset about how you've gone about it!”

“Yeah!” Applejack chimed in. “Ya just ran off without a word, leavin' poor Big McIntosh to fret!”

“But we had to,” Scootaloo said. “We didn't have time to get everyone's permission!”

“Yeah! We had to follow the other Sunset and she was on her bike!” Apple Bloom finally said.

“Oh?” Rarity said, raising a doubtful brow. “And tell me, just where is this other Sunset we've heard so much about? Have you tracked her down?”

The younger girls immediately broke eye contact and toed the ground shiftlessly, none of them managing more than a murmur in response.

“That's what I thought,” Rarity told them, her voice sharp.

The self-styled Crusaders hung their heads as one, and Applejack sighed. “Look. I ain't gonna say I don't wanna know more about this other Sunset y'all saw. But you should know better than to run off tryin' to track her down when you were s'pposed to be helpin' Big McIntosh! All ya managed to accomplish was gettin' everyone worked up when Big Mac told us what happened and ya never answered our texts!”

“...Texts?” Sweetie replied, and the three as one pulled out their phones and checked them. And paled. And gulped.

“Oops,” Sweetie finally elected to say for her friends.

“Guess we... forgot to check 'em in all the excitement?” Apple Bloom offered, looking up at her sister with doe-like eyes and a guilty smile.

“Eeyup,” Applejack said, unmoved.

“Hey sweet, I got a text from Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo announced with a bright smile that quickly fell when she noticed the annoyed looks the other four were giving her. “What?”

Applejack sighed. “Look. The three of you just get in, and we'll take you back to Big Mac.”

The younger trio tensed for just a moment before launching into a string of protestations, each one trying to speak over the other two.

“Awww, but Applejack! Do we have to? We can just turn our phones back on and keep in touch!”

“But we haven't even found the other Sunset yet! We know she's around here somewhere; what if this is our last chance before we lose her forever?”

“Why should we go back just because you say so? We don't wanna waste our time helping Big McIntosh with his dumb list!”

Look,” Applejack said, cutting through their arguments. “I get that y'all wanna do this, but sometimes ya just gotta learn to let things go. I mean seriously, how the heck did ya expect to keep up with a motorcycle on foot?”

“We've been askin' around to see if anyone's seen her,” Apple Bloom answered. “We figured that since you don't see too many motorcycles around people would remember the ones they did see.”

“And have they?” Rarity asked pointedly. “Because I seem to recall that the three of you haven't been able to track her down.”

“We just need a little more time!” Sweetie protested.

“Yeah!” Scootaloo chimed in. “We got a hot tip that someone on a motorcycle was around here not too long ago! It's only a matter of time before we pick up the trail again!”

“Yeah!” her friends echoed, enthusiasm rising again.

“And what if you don't?” Applejack asked, and the trio's mood dropped just as quickly. “Or what if someone dishonest sends ya in the wrong direction, or somewhere dangerous? And exactly how long were ya plannin' on runnin' around on this wild goose chase ya put yourselves on? All afternoon? All day? Or until ya finally realized that we were worried about ya?”

Scootaloo mumbled out a reply that neither Applejack nor Rarity could quite hear, but it was obvious her heart wasn't in it.

Applejack sighed. “So why don't y'all just call it quits and we'll take ya back to Big Mac. The four of you can decide what to do next after ya finish Granny's list.”

“Okay...,” the girls said, defeated. Sullenly, they made their way to the side of Rarity's convertible, but before they could climb in the driver gasped.

“The fritters!” Rarity exclaimed under her breath, and in a panicked rush she and Applejack whipped around to check on the homemade treats Applejack had brought. They were still only half-hidden under the back seat, but the Crusaders fortunately hadn't crushed them by accident.

Still, they didn't avoid being noticed. “What the?” Apple Bloom said, picking up the box as she moved to the leftmost seat. “Applejack, did you make these?” Her sister could only tense up and share a look with her secret and equally-frozen lover.

“Are these for us?” Scootaloo asked, taking the middle seat and looking at the fritters with interest.

“Why would they be for us?” Apple Bloom asked.

Scootaloo shrugged. “I don't know. But why else would they have them?”

“Actually, how come the two of you are looking for us together in the first place?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Uhhh...,” the two in question began to say, before a new text arrived on both their phones simultaneously.

They read it, and shared a look of concern. "What is it?" Sweetie asked. "What's going on?"

"Trouble," Rarity answered, stepping on the gas.

Author's Note:

:raritywink: Just because one half of a given scene ended at a particular point, doesn't mean the other half will too. I hope you enjoyed the chapter!