• Published 22nd Jul 2012
  • 1,195 Views, 29 Comments

I Don't Care - RainbowDashian



A challenge to make five unrelated, 300 word stories, with one overarching theme. Guess the theme!!!

  • ...
2
 29
 1,195

Dancing

Lyra gracefully flitted about the stage, her hooves barely touching the boards before darting back up to land somewhere else. The mint green unicorn gazed out at the crowded audience, eventually spotting her lover, Bon-bon. The cream-colored earth pony was watching in awed rapture, obviously amazed that her lover had become this skilled in such a short time.

Lyra's thoughts raced through her mind at a thousand miles an hour. Sweet Celestia, this is amazing. She thought. This feels so perfect, so complete, so... So right. Like I belong here. An inexorable grin spread across Lyra's face. If only Bon-bon could feel this way. Too bad she has stage fright. But by golly, this feels awesome. I'm untouchable up here.

In what seemed sudden to everyone but Lyra, the music switched from a slow, legato tempo to a fast, staccato one. Immediately, Lyra launched herself into a series of backflips, racing across the stage in an impressive feat of speed and agility. However, upon landing the last backflip, her hoof struck a particularly slick section of wood, and she fell.

Lyra fell backwards, instinctively throwing out her hooves to stop herself, which caused her to snap her right foreleg. A gasp erupted by the audience at the sound of the sudden snap. Lyra writhed in agony on the stage, oblivious to anything other than the throbbing pain in her leg.

Come on, Lyra. She thought through the pain, tears streaming down her face. You've spent months preparing for this, months practicing, months waiting for the recital. You can't let a broken leg stop you!

Lyra rolled onto her stomach, placing three legs firmly onto the stage and painfully lifting herself up. "I don't care that my leg is broken," She said. "I'm going to finish this dance."

And she did.