• Published 3rd Nov 2017
  • 19,720 Views, 1,070 Comments

Seven Saviors - Arcanum -Phantasy



Sunset finally breaks and decides to end it all. Can a group of friends she didn't even know she had bring her back from the brink and put Annon-a-miss down?

  • ...
53
 1,070
 19,720

Ch.3 Game Plan

Sweet Apple Acres was always a sight to behold. In the warmer seasons it was an endless ocean of green with countless red jewels floating in its surface. In the winter, it was an ever expanding land of crystals from horizon to horizon. However, this testament to nature's beauty was wasted on the only few able to witness it. More specifically, a trio of elementary schoolers that took shelter in a treehouse on the orchard's grounds. As it stood, the three pre-teens didn't take the events of the previous evening all too well. While Scootaloo and Applebloom were a bundle of nerves, Sweetie Belle, the one who gathered them all together for this meeting, was in near hysterics.

"This is bad! Very bad!" she panicked, pacing back and forth within the confines of the clubhouse. "Really really bad!"

"Okay! We get it! We're in deep crap!" Scootaloo snapped, bringing Sweetie out of her mini mental breakdown. "Care to fill us in on just how boned we are or what?"

Applebloom nodded.

"She's right, Sweetie. Ah don't git why you're makein' such a huge thing out a' this. So some yahoo said they'r gonna get us. It ain't the first time someone sent a message like that."

Sweetie gawked at her two friends.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!" she screamed, both girls cringing at the pitch her voice reached. "This is Meme Queen we're talking about here! MEME QUEEN!"

Both girls glanced at each other, shrugged, then shifted their attention back towards their friend.

"Who the sam hill is Meme Queen and why should we care?"

Sweetie face palmed and with a groan, gave her farmer friend a hard glare.

"You remember those twins who tried to steal over half of your family's land about four years ago?"

"Yeah?" she said, brow raised. "What of it?"

"Well, do you remember how the cops said they couldn't get enough evidence to take them in until the last second?"

Applebloom nodded.

"Meme Queen tipped them off to someone who could."

Applebloom's eyes widened at that.

"No way. Yer pulling my leg."

Sweetie shook her head.

"Its all true. She even requested herself be reveled as an independent informant under that name. And that's not all, she also blew the whistle on Diamond's mom for trying to steal money from the school about a year later."

Scootaloo's jaw dropped.

"She did that?! I thought it was some sting operation or something!"

Sweetie Belle gave her friend an odd look before shaking it off to continue.

"The point is, now on top of Sunset trying to find out about us, we have a super hacker out to get us. I think its pretty obvious that this whole thing has gone way too far."

"Are ya thinkin' what Ah think you're thinkn'?" Applebloom asked.

Sweetie nodded before she continued.

"We pull the plug. We need to shut down the account and do it quick. If we do it now, then it should be almost impossible for her to figure out its us."

Applebloom nodded in agreement, but just as she was about to reach into her pocket for her phone, Scootaloo jumped to her feet and grabbed her hand.

"Whoa whoa whoa, hold on there. We can't do that."

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle stared at their sporty friend in shock.

"Why not?" Applebloom demanded, jerking her hand free. "Yah heard Sweetie. We need to make the gettin' while the gettin's good!"

"Yeah!" Sweetie squeaked.

"Because," Scootaloo sighed, face turned serious. "The old Sunset wouldn't do that."

The two girls looked at Scootaloo in confusion, as if she had suddenly spoke in an alien language.

Scootaloo let out an annoyed groan.

"Look," she continued. "What did Sunset do when someone stood-up to her? She shut them down. If we shut down the account after this 'Meme Queen' stood-up to us, then everyone will know that it wasn't Sunset behind the whole thing. That means not only will we be back to square one, but then they're gonna wanna find the real Anon-a-Miss. And it didn't look like Meme Queen's gonna leave us alone if we shut it down. So not only will we have her to deal with, but the whole school and our sisters and their friends!"

Sweetie sighed. While she didn't like the idea of them pressing their luck against a legend like Meme Queen, she liked the idea of giving said legend all she needed to find them even less. Reluctantly, she looked at her sporty friend and nodded.

"Okay. Then what do you suggest we do?"

"Easy," she smirked. "We figure out who Meme Queen is before she finds us."

"And then what?" Applebloom asked,

"Beg her for forgiveness?" Scootaloo shrugged.

Both girls face palmed.

"I guess we can cross that bridge when we get to it," Sweetie sighed as her gaze shifted towards the view outside one of the clubhouse windows. "I just hope we can pull it off. I bet she's already closing in on us."



***



"Aw, Damn it!" Dust groaned, giving the television in front of her the finger. "Drop dead Nameless King!"

Her couch-mates, Lyra and Bonbon, chuckled at their friend's antics.

"What's wrong Dust?" Bonbon grinned. "I thought RPGs were for idiots and a brain-dead chimp could beat them."

Lightning Dust gave her smirking friends a death glare. Such a glance would've made lesser people cringe in fear, but all it did to the two girls was make their grins widen.

"Yeah," Lyra continued. "And I thought dragons were just stupid flying lizards. The King of Storms must've went to Medical School cuz it looks like you got an electric colonoscopy."

That set the two girls over the edge in laughter. Dust continued to simmer in her anger, but even she couldn't deny that the way the game boss blasted a bolt of lightning at her character's butt to kill her was pretty funny. And humiliating considering it was the twelfth time she tried to kill it, each loss more embarrassing then the last.

"Okay, fine!" she snapped. "I get it! I was wrong!"

The two girls crossed their arms, mocking smiles replaced with triumphant grins.

Then, with a grimace, Lightning thrusted the controller towards the two girls and growled, "But I'd love to see you two do any better against that jerk."

Bonbon glanced at her mint colored friend.

"You wanna have a go?"

Lyra shrugged before she took the offered controller.

"Eh, why not. It's been a while since I played."

Dust raised a brow at that.

"What do ya mean?"

Lyra just gave a cheeky wink then responded with a casual, "Watch and learn."

As the trio enjoyed their game, four girls sat at the dinner table staring at a chessboard.

Vinyl let out a chuckle as she watched the trio.

"I take it Dust's never seen Lyra play before," she sighed as she moved her rook across the board.

Derpy smirked as she moved her knight into a more favorable position.

"Nope. Dust doesn't do Game Night that much."

Vinyl passed another glance towards the three Dark Souls players. While Lyra looked relaxed almost to the point of boredom, Lightning Dust's wide-eyed and slack-jawed expression was priceless.

"Welp, looks like she's seen it now."

Sunset and Octavia looked up from the board game only to confirm the DJ's assessment.

"That's Lyra for you," Octavia chuckled. "When it comes to fantasy she reins supreme. Although," she sighed as she shifted her attention towards her neighbor. "Things like magic isn't the stuff of fables and fantasy for you, is it?"

Sunset nodded.

"Yeah, but thankfully its not like it is in that game. Most of the time anyway."

This got a raised brow from everyone at the table. Sunset let out a sigh.

"Magic at home is like science here. You can use it to do great things or destroy the world. Luckily, most ponies-"

"Wait what?" Vinyl interrupted, glasses sliding down the bridge of her nose enough to show shocked red eyes. "Ponies? What?"

Sunset let out another sigh.

"Right, forgot you guys didn't know that. Yeah, the world I come from is inhabited by talking ponies. The only reason I look like this is because of the portal's magic. Otherwise, all of you would be talking to an orange unicorn right now."

"Did somebody say Unicorn?"

Everyone let out a startled yelp as Lyra suddenly appeared at the table. As she tried to get her heartbeat back to normal, Sunset looked at the TV and the green teen standing across the table from her.

"When did you-"

"Beat the boss?" Lyra asked, eagerness in her eyes. "About five minutes ago. He's not that tough if you know what your doing."

"No damage," Dust mumbled, her voice only just reaching the fiery haired teen's range of hearing. "She kicked his ass in no time at all and didn't get hit once."

"Anyway," Lyra chimed, grabbing back Sunset's attention. "What was all that about Unicorns?"

Shaking off the eerily familiar display of impossibility, Sunset began to fill in her new comrades on how things were in her native world. She told them about how not only did ponies dominate the land, but dragons and griffins did as well. She also mentioned that some creatures that her audience considered fairytales such as phoenixes and manticores were as real as cats and dogs in this world. She even told them about how the leader of her country had control over the sun and moon and was several thousands of years old. While most of the girls showed signs of skepticism, Lyra looked more ecstatic by the second.

"So, you mean if I hopped through the portal, not only would I get to go to a world of magic, but I could have magic?"

"Um....Yes?" Sunset cringed, slightly unnerved by the mint teen's intense display of interest.

With stars in her eyes, Lyra gently grasped Sunset's hands with a wide smile that would give Pinkie Pie a run for her money.

"I don't care what it takes, TAKE ME!!!"

Sunset reared back at the girl's display of enthusiasm. Before she could comment on Lyra's antics, Octavia and Lightning Dust grabbed the eager teen and pulled her back into a chair.

"I apologize for that, love," Octavia sighed. "Lyra's a bit of a nut when it comes to legends. Why, Bonbon could write a book about all of her exploits to 'prove the existence of the fantastical' as she put it."

"The truth must be set free!" Lyra declared from her seat, her excitement reduced from manic to eccentric.

Derpy gave her a bemused glare before looking back at the game board on the table. "Maybe we should shutdown Anon-a-Miss before we start thinking about visiting Sunset's old home."

As she said this, she moved her queen then flashed Sunset an apologetic smile.

"If that's okay with her, that is."

Sunset blinked at that. While the gate was still open, she had never considered returning to her native land let alone letting anyone from this world accompany her should such a visit ever take place. A part of the reason being that she had no idea what doing so would do to Equestria or the portal as a whole. However, it did seem possible for multiple beings to pass through the portal safely if the need ever did arise.

I should probably ask Twilight if it's possible.

But no sooner had that thought crossed her mind did she come to the unfortunate realization that she was missing an ever important tool.

The sudden drop of enthusiasm didn't no unnoticed by her gold-eyed friend.

"Sunset? Are you okay?"

"Huh?" she flinched, mind returning to reality. "Oh! Yeah. I'm fine. "

Derpy and Vinyl gave her a skeptical frown.

Sunset sighed. She knew her new friend wouldn't let it end with that, but it was worth a try at least. After all, as amazing as Derpy seemed to be, even she had her limits. Unless the grey teen could pull magic artifacts out of the aether it seemed highly unlikely their was anything she could do to change the situation.

"Okay, so, you know that book you saw me carrying in Sugarcube Corner?"

She nodded.

"Well, that wasn't a normal book. It was a special journal that let me communicate with Princess Twilight. Anything I wrote in it would appear in an exact copy that she has."

"Oh," Derpy sighed. "I guess that'll be one more thing to add to the list."

Everyone present tilted their heads in confusion as she moved another piece across the monochromatic board in front of her.

"List?"

With a tired smirk, she glanced at all of her present friends before letting her mismatched eyes settle on Sunset.

"The list of things that I need to do to help you."

Sunset's face turned a little warm in response to her friend's declaration.

"W-Well, uh, that's.....Thanks Derpy."

Derpy just giggled then shifted her attention back to her game.

Dust, Lyra, and Octavia traded glances then flashed mischievous half-smiles.

"So, Derpy love," Octavia smirked. "Care to share what else might be on this so called list?"

Derpy's hand paused for a second as she reached for her knight to move it in to intercept Vinyl's rook. With a sigh, the girl's entire demeanor changed. Gone was the happy-go-lucky teen with the strange eyes and in her place was the calm and collected tactician from the night before.

"Well, at the moment," Derpy started, tone level. "It's only got two things on it: Get Sunset's journal back and crush Anon-a Miss."

"I see," Octavia frowned, not expecting this shift in conversation. "Any ideas on how you plan to do this?"

Derpy gave her a hallow smile.

"Well," she sighed. "After stopping to take a look at how Anon-a-Miss has been doing things until now, I've come to a simple conclusion."

"And that is?" Dust sighed, crossing her arms and leaning against a nearby wall.

"They're a coward," she said, her tone as cold as ice. "It's obvious that they have some sort of vendetta against Sunset and are willing to use the whole school as a weapon against her. That way they can get rid of her without getting their hands dirty. As clever a strategy as that may sound it all hinges on one thing; the whole school has to think it's Sunset using the account. And that's what's gonna do them in,"

That got a raised brow out of Octavia.

"How so love?"

Derpy's smile turned almost predatory as she moved yet another piece across the board, her opponent letting out a faint growl of irritation as she had her queen taken.

"Simple, the old Sunset didn't like it when people challenged her. Everyone in Canterlot High knows that. So what did the old Sunset do when someone tried to stand up to her?"

"I would try to take them down," Sunset sighed, the ever-present shame her past brought to her pressing down on her.

A comforting gray hand rested on her orange one, apologetic smile gracing its owner's lips. Sunset nodded, a silent signal that she was okay and that Derpy should continue. Slightly conflicted, Derpy nodded her own understanding and returned her attention towards the conversation at hand.

"Exactly," Derpy continued. "And with such a public display of defiance, Anon-a-Miss will have to strike back as a means to keep their best lie going. This will make things pretty easy for us in some ways and a real pain in others."

"What do ya mean," Bonbon asked, finally joining the conversation.

"The open challenge will divide how everyone sees Sunset. The one's that still think she's guilty will keep their distance to keep her from thinking their us, while the others that think she's innocent will try to find out who the real snake is."

Vinyl looked up from the board to gawk at her opponent.

"So that's why you mentioned Sunset in the challenge message. You wanted to use everyone's doubt to make an intelligence network."

Derpy nodded, then moved one of her pieces on the board into position.

"It'll also reduce the chances that someone'll try to attack Sunset directly, but that also leads to a major problem. Using this trick prevents any of us from acting as open support for Sunset."

"What?!" Dust exclaimed, no longer in her casual position with hands tightly clenched into fists.

Derpy responded with a glare of her own.

"If we make it obvious that we're helping her, we run the risk of the real Anon-a-Miss figuring out who we really are and our network will get corrupted more then it needs to be."

"But," Derpy said, just as Dust was going to protest. "That doesn't mean we're going to leave her unprotected. Until we have a better way to protect her in the open, I want us to keep an eye on her at a normal enough distance. If it looks like someone's going to do something stupid, then we act. Otherwise, we need to try to gather as much info as possible from the social groups around campus to get a better idea of possible suspects. And once all of the pieces fall into place, we'll strike."

As she said that, she slid her queen into a place at the center of the board.

"Checkmate,"

Vinyl flinched, then looked down at the board in indignation, her gaze scanning it for any possible escape method for her king. All the while, her opponent dropped her serious aura and gave Sunset a warm smile.

"Maybe I'll be able to find out what happened to your journal while we're at it."

Sunset nervously nodded and gulped, yet again wondering where this Derpy was during her rein as the Queen B of Canterlot High. The thought that the grinning, normally friendly girl in front of her was such a social tactician was both terrifying and in a weird way endearing. It reminded Sunset of Celestia in some ways; a kind and gentle being that gives others hope and had more than enough power to destroy countless ponies with little to no effort. If Derpy wanted to, she could probably do to others what Anon-a-Miss was doing to Canterlot High with interest. Instead, she was using her skills to help Sunset get back on her feet when she had every reason to let her fall to her death. She gave her a place to stay, food to eat, and her friendship. But out of everything that the gray teen gave her, one thing outweighed and overpowered the rest of the gifts Derpy gave her. It was hope. The hope that justice would be served and that this whole thing would finally be over. That she could finally be happy again.

"Thanks Derpy," Sunset smiled as she fought back the happy tears that built at the corners of her eyes. "I'd really appreciate it."

"No prob Bob," she smiled before she turned to face the slightly annoyed DJ sitting across from her. "So what do ya say, best out of fifty?"

Vinyl stuck out her tongue.