• Published 12th Feb 2019
  • 766 Views, 15 Comments

Earthling or Equestrian? - Tjtbomb



The Mad Tinker, a unique name, with many meanings. A mercenary, an Alias, an alien, a harbinger of death, a dangerous ally, and finally... Friend.

  • ...
7
 15
 766

#14- Understanding

Toby POV

"I... I'm fine now."

I glanced over to her. She scooted closer, a concerned look on her face.

"You sure?" She asked, "You're crying."

I was. A few tears were running down my face.

"He-heh, That's new. Haven't done that in years."

We sat still, thinking.

"I guess I just needed to get it out there. I don't think I've ever taken the time to unload my past. Takes some getting used to."

She said nothing, probably thinking about my story. I dried my eyes and attempted to fill the silence.

"Hey, Dashie?"

She looked at me.

"Thanks, for listening, and for being... a friend. I've never really had one, but I'd like to think you're my best friend."

She quickly looked down.

What did I do?

"Uh, if that's okay with you?"

"N-no! It's fine! I'm happy to be your best friend. You're mine as well."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

She looked back up and smiled. It could've been me, but she looked... blue-er? Especially on her face. Was she flustered?

"What now?"

She looked thoughtful for a moment.

"Video games?"

"Discord got me some old human ones if you want to try them out."

"Sounds cool."

I smiled and rolled off the couch to my Game system. I shuffled through the game library. I looked back as I pulled out a pony controller for her.

"Knowing us, want to play a racing game?"

"You're on! Rematch!"

I rolled my eyes.

Typical. I'm the same way though.

I dug around until I finally found a collector's edition of the one, and only, Mario Kart series! It had every game from the series! Though in my opinion, they got worse and worse despite the graphics after Mario Kart 8. I popped it in and hooked up the controllers gleefully.

"You're gonna love this! This series is great!"

I selected a grand prix and we were off. Dashie was actually pretty good! After she understood the controls of course. We played every race neck and neck. Finally, on the last track, we had to break the tie. I was in third and quickly coming up on toad, the little turd, when I hit the item block. Of course, it only happens when people hate it most, on the third lap. I got the blue shell. Dashie had used it once and knew it's power.

"NOOOOOOOOO!!!"

She slammed on the brakes, desperately trying to get back into second, but it was too late. The shell zipped forward and exploded, taking her and toad out at the same time. Conveniently opening up my path as I crossed the finish line.

"GET WRECKED!"

Rainbow glared at me and playfully started pummeling my arm.

"If it wasn't for that stupid, OP shell, I would have won!"

"True, but you would have done the same to me."

"I wouldn't gloat!"

"Yeeeaaahhh, you would."

She huffed and turned a darker shade of blue.

Wait a second.

"Is that your blush?"

"U-uh..."

Her eyes widened as she blushed even darker.

"That's adorable!"

She covered her face and protested,

"No it isn't!"

DING! DONG!

The clock interrupted us. I glanced over and shouted in surprise.

"MIDNIGHT!?"

Dashie was shocked.

"It's been raining all day!? And Still raining!? I can't fly in that!"

I chuckled and smiled at her.

"One more night then I guess."

She sighed and gave in.

"Fine, I'll take the couch this time."

I dived face first into the couch.

"CHIVALRY!!!"

Dashie cracked up as I possessively dug into the couch, cementing my berth. She eventually caught her breath.

"What was that!?"

"Chivalry!"

"Looked more like the couch suddenly ate you."

"I refuse to let a woman- slash mare- sleep on a couch when there is a more comfortable bed just upstairs. It's called being kind."

She gave me a look.

"You wouldn't move even if I insisted would you?"

"Nope. I'm a good host that way."

She chuckled as she trotted up the stairs.

"Fine, I guess. See you in the morning Toby."

"Same. Sweet dreams."

I turned off the lights. That is to say, i was too lazy to walk to the switch, so I just threw my shoe. I quickly fell asleep.

(Rainbow Dash POV)

I climbed upstairs and began to blush again.

ARRRGh! Why does he have to be so kind!?

I got myself to calm down a bit as I climbed into bed. Until I had a sudden thought.

This is his bed. I'm sleeping in his bed.

My face was like the sun.

An hour later, I finally went to sleep.

(Timeskip)

I woke up to sounds of yelling and things breaking. I rushed downstairs to find Toby, with his blade things, slicing furniture to pieces. He looked as if he was fighting something I couldn't see. He was laughing though. Not his fun laugh, an insane, maddened laugh. It sent shivers down my spine.

He turned with blank eyes.

He's still asleep!

He was still dreaming while destroying everything at arm's length.

"Toby!"

He turned toward me with a manic grin.

"Was it you? Did you kill them? Did you? I'm not sure..."

He slowly walked forward.

"Oh wait, that was me. I killed them. I killed them. I killed them."

"Toby! Snap out of it!"

His Expression softened, confused. He stopped walking.

"But then, who are you? Why are you here? Why am I here?"

"Toby! It's a dream! You're not on earth anymore!"

"A dream? But who would care enough to wake me? Nobody cares."

He stepped forward but halted at my voice.

"Hey! I care!"

"Then who are you?"

"Your best friend! It's me! Rainbow Dash!"

"..."

Sudden realization came to his eyes. He was awake. He looked to me in disbelief.

"D-Dashie?"

He dropped his swords and fell to his knees, crying.

"What was I about to do?"

I ran forward and embraced him.

"Don't do that to yourself. It was out of your control. A really bad nightmare. You're not on earth anymore."

We lay on the floor for a while with me comforting him. A while later I led him upstairs and helped him into his bed. I sat in the recliner across the room to watch over him. He fell asleep immediately, his face still wet. I sat, thinking in the dark.

"What happened to you Toby? What did you have to do to survive in that awful world of yours?"