• Published 17th Jun 2017
  • 4,546 Views, 214 Comments

A Ray of Sunlight - BChunter426



Twilight has just transferred to CHS, she's nervous to start at this new school, but a red and yellow haired girl makes the transition easier.

  • ...
15
 214
 4,546

An Important Meeting

The next few days were tough for Sunset. Each day she would anxiously wait to hear from Twilight about Trixie. They had told the others about their plans, but they had all agreed that it would just be her and Twilight that would talk to her. She didn't want Trixie to feel pressured or ganged up on by having all seven of them there.

Not helping to calm her was the persistence of several classmates intentionally bumping into her and throwing insults her way. On top of that she still had a few unkind notes find their way into her locker, though definitely not as many as before. She thought she noticed one of the security guards patrolling the area around her locker. She didn't give much thought to it as she went through her day, but was glad it seemed to have decreased the amount of papers being left for her.

She was anxiously tapping her pencil's eraser tip on her desk when Sonata spoke up.

"You know the other side usually works better for digging holes in desks."

"Sorry." Sunset blushed, feeling embarrassed.

"What's got you all up in a tizzy?"

"I'm waiting to hear back from Twilight." She hesitated. "I'm trying to set up a meeting with Trixie."

"Trixie? Wait, wasn't she the girl that slapped you at the dance?" Sonata asked bluntly.

Sunset felt her cheeks flush. "The very same. I'm nervous to meet with her for that exact reason."

"What do you want to meet with her for?"

Before she could answer, the teacher instructed the class to go to their cooking stations. Today's assignment was to make chicken alfredo from scratch and it wasn't going well. Sunset had offered to make the sauce while Sonata cooked chicken. Unfortunately Sunset kept checking her phone and burned the sauce twice.

Sonata placed a friendly hand on Sunset's shoulder. "Why don't you get the noodles started I'll take over on the sauce for a bit."

"Sorry." Sunset groaned. "I'm not being a very good partner am I?"

Sonata chuckled. "It's okay, if you want to drop those noodles in and keep an eye on them we'll work on the sauce together. That way we're both learning how to make it right."

"Thanks Sonata. I'll turn my phone off so I won't be tempted to look at it."

It was smooth sailing from then on. The sauce came out a little thick, but it was still delicious. Sunset made sure to get a copy of the recipe for home. After loading her things into her new backpack she said goodbye to Sonata who wished her luck. It was then she remembered that her phone was off and powered it up. She made her way toward the main hall when her phone buzzed and chimed in her pocket several times. Her heart picked up a few extra beats as she raised the phone to see what the alerts were.
Webtoon

"Aerial Magic and 9 other series have just updated."
Battle Girls Saga

"We miss you senpai! Come play with us!"
Twilight❤️

"Trixie said she's willing to meet with us."

Sunset stopped momentarily when she saw the message from Twilight. After recomposing herself she responded.

"When?"

"Today if we can make it work."

"I can do that. Where should I meet you?"

"Go to the soccer field. See you in a few! Love you!"

"Love you too! Thank you Twilight."

Sunset walked quickly to the designated spot. She stopped in her tracks when she saw Trixie and Twilight near the goal net. She took a moment to compose herself before striding in their direction. Nerves began creeping in the closer she got until she was right in front of them.

An awkward silence settled in as the two girls took one another in. Trixie had her arms crossed in front of her and was tapping the toe of her shoe into the ground. Sunset had her hands dug into her pockets and kept her eyes anywhere but directed at Trixie. They would occasionally make eye contact until one or both quickly looked away. Twilight waited patiently, but was about to say something to get the conversation started until Sunset spoke up.

"So... it's been a while." Sunset began nervously.

"I guess it has been." Trixie said.

"How have you been?" Sunset asked.

"Alright I guess." Trixie responded.

"Good. Um, it's good to hear that." She trailed off.

Trixie cleared her throat. "I uh, want to say sorry."

"For what?"

"For slapping you at the dance. I shouldn't have done that. I was just so upset."

"Oh, it's- it's okay, I kind of deserved it."

"No you didn't. I should have kept a cooler head and just verbally ripped you a new one."

Trixie shot her a look. Sunset stiffened up, bracing herself for an onslaught of verbal abuse. To her surprise Trixie let out an uncomfortable chuckle.

"Sorry, that was supposed to be a joke. It was too tense." She smiled slightly.

Sunset relaxed and let out a small chuckle of her own. "I thought you were going to lay into me right here."

"Not with your girlfriend standing right there. She looks ready for a fight."

Twilight jumped when she realized she was being talked about. She looked down at her clenched hands and blushed.

"Sorry, I guess I'm a little tense."

Sunset took Twilight's hand and gave it an affectionate squeeze. "I think we all are."

The conversation dropped momentarily.

"So what did you need to talk to me about?"

"It's a little awkward, but would you be able to convince Ditsy Doo to meet with me?"

Trixie's eyes widened in surprise. "Possibly. I really don't know how open she'll be to the idea though. You really hurt her."

"I know. That's why I want to talk to her so I can apologize. She deserves to hear it in person."

Trixie nodded. "I'll talk to her. In the meantime you should really think about what you want to say. Make it really good because I'm putting my friendship on the line for this."

"She hates me that much, huh?"

Trixie cocked an eyebrow at her.

"That's fair." She rubbed her neck. "Don't worry I'll make it count. Thank you for doing this Trixie."




The following week found Twilight, Trixie and Sunset driving through a quiet neighborhood. The three of them were silent except when Trixie spoke up to give directions. No one knew what to say, but they each knew the pressure was on.

"Take a right up here, then just drive straight for a couple blocks and we'll be there."

"Thanks Trixie." Sunset said after a brief pause.

The young magician nodded and went back to fiddling with a tear in the knee if her jeans. Sunset's grip tightened on the wheel as they passed through the final four-way stop before their destination. The car slowed to a stop. Sunset took several deep breaths, trying to get her heart rate to settle down. Twilight placed a soothing hand on her knee and locked eyes with Sunset.

Are you sure you're ready? The look said.

Sunset nodded and turned off the vehicle. Trixie told them to wait on the sidewalk while she let her friend know they were here. While they waited Sunset absentmindedly laced her fingers with Twilight's. The door reopened and Sunset's grip on Twilight's hand tightened when the second girl came out after Trixie.

Ditsy Doo followed Trixie onto the patio, clearly uncomfortable. The two had a quick whispered conversation before she looked out and motioned for the couple to join them at the table that was set up. When the four of them were in front of each other nobody spoke for several moments. Sunset was the first to break the silence.

"How, uh, how have you been?" She said, not knowing how else to start.

Ditsy shrugged, not quite meeting Sunset's eyes. "Okay, I guess."

Sunset cleared her throat. "Your eyes look good."

She hated how clumsily it came out, but she meant it. Ditsy Doo's eyes seemed to not drift apart as much as she remembered.

"Yeah, um, my doctor showed me some exercises to help correct them. I have specialized glasses too."

"Oh, cool. That's... cool."

The conversation died again. Ditsy Doo picked at her cudicle while Sunset chewed the inside of her cheek.

Ditsy Doo cleared her throat. "Trixie said you wanted to talk to me."

"I did, yeah."

"What did you need to say?" She asked curtly.

"I just... I want to apologize. I'm so sorry for singling you out. For saying cruel, hurtful things to you every day. I'm sorry for being so despicable that you felt like you had to transfer out of school to feel safe. And I'm sorry it took me so long to say this to you. I know I can never give you back the time and redo everything, but I hope this helps even a little bit."

A long pause followed Sunset's words. Several moments passed before Ditsy Doo broke the quiet.

"I appreciate that Sunset. I also appreciate that it took a lot to come here today. But, what you did and said were really cruel and hurtful. Do you remember the nickname you gave me?"

"Derpy." Sunset responded before looking to the ground.

"That name caught on with a lot of people at our old school. I couldn't get away from it until I started homeschool. Luckily, my therapist helped me find ways to take the power away from the name. Even so, those things can't just be forgotten with an apology."

Sunset didn't respond. She couldn't think of anything meaningful to add.

Ditsy sighed. "What I guess I'm trying to say is, thank you for coming and apologizing to me in person. It really does mean more than you know. I... I just don't think I'm at a place where I'm ready to fully forgive you. Maybe, one day I will, but it's all still really fresh.

Sunset nodded. "I understand. I didn't expect you to immediately forgive me, but I'm glad I came here."

"So am I." Ditsy gave a slight smile.

Silence hung in the air before Sunset spoke. "I guess we'll head out. Thank you for agreeing to this. I know it probably wasn't easy."

"Not especially, but it's nice to have some closure." She paused. "Maybe we'll see each other around."

Sunset grinned. "Maybe we will. Goodbye, Ditsy Doo."

"Goodbye, Sunset."

Trixie told them to leave without her, since she was going to hang out with Ditsy Doo. Twilight and Sunset walked back to the car. They drove in silence for the first part of the trip. Twilight was the one to speak first.

"I think that went pretty well." She said.

"So do I." Sunset agreed. "Better than I expected it to. It was good to see that she's doing well."

Twilight held Sunset's hand and smiled at her. She could already see a difference in how she carried herself. Like a great weight had been removed from her shoulders.

The two parked in front of Twilight's house. Twilight made to exit the car when she felt Sunset gently grab her cheek and pull her into a kiss. Twilight recovered from the suddenness and fell into it. Sunset gave her three little kisses before pulling away.

"Someone's in a good mood." Twilight said after catching her breath.

"I am, but that wasn't the only reason." Sunset smiled.

"What do you mean?"

Sunset cupped her cheek. "Thank you for being so amazing. I never would have been able to do that if it wasn't for you."

Twilight blushed at the earnestness in her voice. She readjusted her glasses before speaking.

"Come on, I'm sure you would have gotten there by yourself."

"No, by myself, I would have been in another state by now." She said matter-of-factual. "You've helped me keep a level head throughout this whole ordeal. Well, level-er." She smirked.

Twilight laughed. "Alright, fair enough, but don't sell yourself short. You're stronger than you give yourself credit for."

Sunset smiled and kissed her again. "Thanks Twilight. Should we go in?"

Twilight nodded and they walked up the walkway together. Velvet noticed the change in Sunset's attitude almost immediately. She was walking a little taller and with more purpose and engaging with them more. It was a breath of fresh air from the sullen, stressed out girl that she had been.

Sunset and Twilight gave Velvet a brief description of the events of the day when Velvet asked about their days. She listened intently, feeling proud of the two of them as they spoke.

"Sounds like it went well." Velvet said.

"I think so too." Sunset smiled.

"I'm very happy to hear that." She smiled. "So what are your plans for the rest of the day?"

"I dunno." Twilight shrugged. "Probably some video games and internet videos."

"Sounds like fun. I won't keep you any longer."

"What's for dinner?" Twilight asked as she stood.

"Grilled ham and cheese with tomato soup."

"What can I do to help?" Sunset asked.

"I think I can handle it, but if I think of something, I'll call you down."

"Okay, sounds like a plan." She smiled.

The duo disappeared into Twilight's room. Velvet smiled as she heard the door re-open without her having to remind them. Velvet sat down to add the finishing touches on her final chapter. The sounds of good natured banter and video game sound effects providing the perfect ambience.
I've missed this. She thought with a smile as she opened her laptop.