• Published 18th Jun 2017
  • 6,233 Views, 672 Comments

Unexpected Adventure - WhooshieWoosh



Getting sent to a new world? No problem. Becoming a dragon because a demented weirdo thought it would be funny? How quaint.

  • ...
35
 672
 6,233

School Is In Session

As I walked through the long corridor through the mountain, I couldn't help but gawk at the walls and decorations on either side of me. Intricate carvings and large, detailed statues of dragons in long, hooded cloaks were positioned in such a way that there was always one statue to look at.

Soon, I reached the end of the hall and stepped out into a large antechamber light in a bright glow. Along the ceiling were strange windows that allowed sunlight to enter but couldn't be seen through. Near the opposite wall was a podium with rows of benches in front like a college lecture hall. Four doors were positioned around the room in alignment with a large carving of a star on the ground. Upon reaching the middle, a blue glow appeared to my side. I looked at the podium and saw that standing behind it was a dragon in a hooded robe. He was... glowing blue and transparent with a short white beard flowing from his chin.

"Holy crap... it's a ghost dragon."

He spoke in an echoey voice,

"If you are done gawking, take a seat."

I did as told and the spectre cleared his throat.

"Welcome to Ra'avez Instaria, the finest college of sorcery in the world."

I lept up.

"No freaking way!"

He gave me a stern look.

"Please, don't interrupt."

I shut my mouth and sat. He nodded before continuing.

"The fact that you are here means you long to learn the ancient art of sorcery. Now, be warned. Sorcery is a tool, and like all tools, can be used for the wrong purposes. If we discover that any student is attempting to use what they've learned for malicious acts against any living being, the consequences will be severe. Am I understood?"

I was too busy internally freaking out to respond and he raised his voice and repeated,

"AM I UNDERSTOOD!"

I jolted.

"Yes sir!"

He smiled.

"Good. If you'll follow me, I'll take you to the library to get your spellbooks."

I was practically vibrating by now. Honestly, any fan of anything fantasy has always wanted to learn magic. And, du-du-du-duuuh! Discord lead me right to... Ra... Raaah... wizard school.

I quickened my pace and drew even to the ghost teacher.

"So, you're saying you're going to make me a wizard?"

He came to a screeching halt and glared at me.

"A 'wizard'? You want to be... a wizard!? Dragons... are not wizards. Dragons are sorcerers."

"Uh... there's a difference?"

His ghostly eye twitched.

"If you are a unicorn who studies magic, you are either a wizard or enchantress. Both are inferior to sorcerers."

"Really?"

"Yes! They only can use the magic inside them for spells, and because of that their spells are more like formulas with set results and set scenarios of use. Whereas sorcerers use the magic inside of them as a catalyst to wrestle the ambient forces of magic to our control. Our magic is not a science, it's an art! One spell can be used an infinite amount of ways, limited only by the sorcerer's strength and imagination. Why, I knew a sorcerer who could defeat mages with far more spell mastery than him, with books of spells memorized. And, he only used a simple barrier spell. The reason he won was because he thought outside the box. I will teach you not only to cast spells, but to think creatively."

Okay, now I was even more excited. That sounded epic. I was going to be the most badass thief ever.

He sighed before shaking his head.

"I remember a time before the Fall when this school was full of students. Both young beginners, and veteran scholars. Each with their own focus on a particular school of magic. But, eventually dragons lost interest in magic. They only wanted to use swords and hammers. They grew barbaric and fond of war. That, was what caused the Fall."

He looked at me, a curious gleam in his eyes.

"My hope for you, is that you will be the successor of all of us that remain. Stripped of our corporeal bodies, but still very much alive."

"W-what was the Fall?"

He grimaced.

"It is not my place to tell you, I know that much."

I was about to argue when he held up a claw.

"Please, don't question me. Just know that dragons as a species went from living in large cities and creating many wonders, to living in caves like animals."

Ouch... that, that was definitely some Fall.

"So, Professor...."

"Ra'avez. This school is named after me."

"Professor Ra'avez, what did you mean by schools of magic?"

"There are several 'schools' of magic with each focusing on a specific thing. Elementalism is about controlling such elements as fire, water, lightning, earth and so on. Arcanism focuses on complex magical manipulation for spells like barriers, teleportation, gravitational fluxes and more. Regentism focuses on healing, Illusion on manipulating the senses and what people see. And Metraphistiation which is used to transmute and enchant various substances with powerful charms and spells."

I blinked a few times as that sunk in. Okay, I was expecting something like in the Elder Scrolls or Harry Potter. This, this was starting to sound hella complex. Ra'avez seemed to notice and laughed.

"I hope I haven't scared the excitement out of you. It's alot to take in, but I will assist you as I have every student before."

I nodded before saying,

"Can you also teach me how to sword fight?"

--------------------------

Shining Armor lead a squadron of guards towards the Rupee Mountains. Reports stated that a dragon was seen flying around the area and Shining had been sent to remove the dragon, by force if necessary. Accompanying him and his guards was Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, his fiance. She had insisted she come along given their upcoming wedding and she, quote, "wanted to keep a close eye on her Shiney."

As they crested the ridge, they spotted a large cave mouth that looked like somewhere a dragon would stay. He turned and addressed his guards.

"Alright, four of you with me. The rest stay with the princess and set up camp. Even if there isn't a dragon, we'll camp here for the night."

The guards saluted.

"Yes sir!"

Two unicorns, a pegasus archer, and an earth pony followed him up the mountain and into the cave. Before entering he called them into a huddle.

"Alright, if there is a dragon, I'll attempt to reason with it first. When it most likely attacks, Gale will fly above it. Iron Hoof will stay with me and Firebolt and Steady Aim will attack with magic from a distance."

They nodded and headed inside. After entering the pitch-black cave Shining light up his horn revealing a well furnished dwelling with a large bed occupied by a humongous dragon. Upon hearing their hoofsteps, the dragon lifted her head and yawned widely.

"Aaaaaaah... hello? Is someone there?"

Shining stepped forward as she put on her glasses.

"Dragon, by order of Princess Celestia you are to vacate this place at once. You are trespassing on Equestrian soil and will not be permitted to remain."

She stretched and rolled over.

"No. I don't think I have to. This is my home and has been for a long time now."

Shining sighed before lighting up his horn.

"Alright you overweight lizard. Get up or else I'll blast you to--"

"W-what did you call me!?"

He raised an eyebrow as the dragon shot upright and stared at him in shock.

"An overweight lizard. And I'll do a whole lot worse if you don't get your scaly flank out of Equestria now!"

"Well I never! Did your mother never teach you to respect others!"

He rolled his eyes.

"You're getting on my nerves. I don't want to blast a fat, lazy dragon if I don't have to, but if you don't cooperate I'll send you--"

"Why you! Don't you take that tone with me! I ought to teach you some manners you disrespectful hoodlum!"

He cast a spell and sent a bolt of magical energy straight towards her chest. It exploded against her, but barely even made her flinch.

"Hitting a lady!? That's it! Come here NOW!"

She grabbed him with lightning speed and put him over her knee. He started to yell.

"Let go of me you disgusting bit-- *Spank* OW!-- *Spank* OOW! *SPANK* STOP *SPANK* I-- *SPANK* SORRY! I'm SO-o-orry!"

She huffed before dropping him. He landed and began dancing in place, holding his rear. She pointed a claw at him and scolded,

"You ought to be ashamed. If I was your mother and heard what you said I'd do a whole lot more than give you a few swats. Now, if you don't learn to show others respect you'll never be deserving of respect yourself. Am I making myself clear?"

"Y-yes ma'am. I'm sorry ma'am."

She smiled and nodded.

"Good. Now go home and think about how you should treat others."

He sniffed and nodded before running out of the cave, followed by his troops. Once outside he turned to them.

"Why didn't you attack her!?"

They all shrugged before one of the unicorns stepped forward.

"Well, I didn't want a spanking too. You really shouldn't speak to a lady like that though."

...

"Shut it Firebolt."