• Published 18th Jun 2017
  • 6,233 Views, 672 Comments

Unexpected Adventure - WhooshieWoosh



Getting sent to a new world? No problem. Becoming a dragon because a demented weirdo thought it would be funny? How quaint.

  • ...
35
 672
 6,233

Playtime's Over

Ra'avez absently used his telekinesis to throw the rubber ball as it bounced back to him. He'd been trying to entertain himself somehow, but his options were limited given he was incorporeal.

"Three hundred thousand seventy seven, three hundred thousand seventy eight, three thousand seventy--"

"Morning, Ra'avez."

He jumped and the ball bounced away. He sighed and slouched over.

"Well, I guess I have my new record. Greetings, Drake. Have you come for further instruction?"

"Not at the moment. I'm actually here to ask if you know of any place I could use as a hideout. Preferably a place where Celestia and her goons can't find it."

He steepled his claws and hummed before nodding.

"Well, I guess you could have my old home. It's nearby, has plenty of wards and enchantments to keep it secure, and I don't really need it given I'm stuck here."

I paused for a second as I thought it over. Being stuck in an empty school for years with nothing to do given you were a ghost... dang.

"Oh... uh, I'm really sorry about--"

He waved a claw dismissively.

"No need to apologize. You didn't kill me and leave me stuck here. I had already planned on becoming an Eidolon, but I had hoped to teach rather than just while away my time."

"An... Eidolon?"

He gestured for me to take a seat before using his magic to make a holographic copy of himself.

"Long ago, I discovered that you could create a... how do I put it... copy, of yourself for after your death. Myself and a few others that were deemed to important to be lost to the ravages of age decided to bind ourselves to Totems, devices I created to store and sustain an Eidolon after the original died. Unfortunately, the Fall caused our plans to go awry and myself and the others were trapped as Eidolons after Celestia--"

He froze and his eyes widened. I didn't hesitate to jump on that bit of information.

"Wait, Celestia was the reason behind the fall!?"

"NO!"

I flinched as Ra'avez calmed himself before replying.

"Sorry, I still happen to have a bit of a grudge towards... never mind. You'll be told about everything later, by someone much more important than I. Anyway, I might as well begin preparing directions for you to find my house. You'll find the key in the drawer of the nightstand in my quarters. Any questions?"

"Yeah, I... I thought dragons were immortal?"

He shook his head.

"We're very long lived, not immortal. The true lifespan of a dragon has never been documented. Most died of either disease or were killed before they could get close to the age of Celestia or even Discord."

I jerked my attention back towards him upon hearing that name.

"Discord?"

"Have you not heard of him?"

"Well, yeah. But I don't know much about him."

He tapped his chin before gesturing at nothing in particular.

"He's the immortal spirit of chaos, let's just leave it at that."

As I left I heard him mutter,

"Well, the current one at least."

I decided to let that be because... I, I don't really know. I felt like it would be dumb to ask more. I quickly located the key and returned to find Ra'avez levitating a scroll to me.

"Here, this should be a sufficient guide. I shall eagerly await your return."

I took the scroll and bowed my head as a sign of respect.

"Thank you. I'll return when I'm able."

With that taken care of I exited the school and took off, leaving the spectral dragon to pass the time however he wished.

I opened the scroll and quickly read it before placing it in my pocket.

"Alright, fly south until you reach the mountain with a crumbling tower on it. Then you go left from the tower until you reach a waterfall. Fly through the waterfall and you'll reach the main entrance."

I followed the directions exactly and soon found myself in front of a large stone door with runes carved into it. I found the keyhole and inserted the key before turning it. The door shook before splitting in two and sliding into the sides of the doorframe. Once the doors were clear, I cautiously crossed the threshold and looked around my new home. The first room held an unlight fireplace, several old armchairs, and had doors that lead off to a kitchen, library, bedroom, and a large, empty room that would be perfect for a loot vault. With the preliminary tour out of the way, I could go retrieve my--

"There you are! You would not believe how big of a pain you are to find!"

I spun around and gave my unexpected (and bizarre) guest a confused look.

"Wait a minute, Discord!?"

The mismatched creature grinned before pulling me into a tight hug.

"Congratulations! You finally are ready for the real deal."

I extricated myself from his grip and frowned.

"Wait, what did you say? And I thought you were sealed away in stone?"

He shrugged and took a seat in one of the armchairs.

"They might have the majority of my power all locked up, but I can still view the world and whisper ideas into the minds of ponies. Perks of being the Avatar of Chaos and all that."

"Okay... but what are you doing here?"

He held his paw to his chest in mock offense.

"Why, can't I just visit my favorite human?"

I raised an eyebrow and he sighed.

"Fine, party pooper. I'm here to both congratulate you... and warn you."

"Warn me?"

He gave me a devilish smile before snapping his claws. I fell to my knees as vibrant purple energy came spilling out of my eyes and mouth. The energy rushed to Discord and melded with him. I coughed as the taste of burned popcorn and metal coated my tongue.

"What... what was that?"

"Oh, just retrieving the little gift I loaned to you. I couldn't have you getting locked away or killed before you even got settled, so I gave you a little... help."

I stood up and wobbled on suddenly weak legs.

"What do you mean help?"

He tapped his chin before saying,

"I put a few ideas in your head, made you a bit stronger, helped you learn some stuff, made you calmer and braver, rewired your brain to understand Equine, and overall made you better than you should have been. You could consider it a tutorial of some sort."

"So why take away that power now?"

He grinned, his mismatched pupils gleaming with mischief.

"Because you were getting, how would you call it, overpowered. So consider yourself... nerfed."

I growled and summoned my sword, which suddenly felt much heavier.

"But why? Wouldn't it be more entertaining to watch me be stronger than everyone else?"

He cackled before vanishing in a puff of smoke.

"Because nopony likes a Gary-Stu, Drake. Anyway, try not to immediately die. Ta-ta!"

I growled and dropped my sword. I could already feel the effects of having Discord's power removed. I felt... weaker, less confident, and most of all, I was scared.

"I'm in trouble now, aren't I."

Author's Note:

What's that? Did you all think that he was going to be Mr. Awesome the whole time? Well, if so, then you thought wrong. Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD! And probably going to be putting out chapters much quicker now.