• Published 18th Jun 2017
  • 6,198 Views, 672 Comments

Unexpected Adventure - WhooshieWoosh



Getting sent to a new world? No problem. Becoming a dragon because a demented weirdo thought it would be funny? How quaint.

  • ...
35
 672
 6,198

Welcome to Ponyville

"Wait, you're telling me you guys weren't joking and that it literally is called Ponyville?!"

I gaped in disbelief at the sign proudly stating the name of the small town. Gemlight nodded as Sunny gave me a funny look.

"Yeah! Why'd you think otherwise?"

"It's just so... unoriginal! It would be like me founding a town and calling it Drakesborrow or Dragonburg or something like that."

Gem shrugged.

"I like it. It seems nice."

As we continued over the hill and towards the sleepy looking town I shook my head.

"Canterlot was bad enough. But Ponyville? What's next? Can-neigh-da? Mareappolis, Mare-yland?"

"Uh... those are both actual places, Drake. In fact, I heard about a guy from Vanhoover who traveled all of Equestria and stopped in both of those places. Well... it was in a book. But that's close enough!"

I slapped my forehead as my brain struggled to come to terms with the fact that this entire country seemed to have been named using puns about horses.

"I swear, I'll never call a town in a video game unoriginal again."

As we approached the main street, we could see brightly colored ponies walking around, laughing and buying stuff from a farmers market. Of course, having a dragon waltz into the center of town would probably cause panic unless I took a page out of Spock's book.

Sure enough, everything went quite as we entered town with the ponies gawking at me, shock and fear keeping them rooted to the spot. I stepped ahead of my companions and made the "live long and prosper" sign. Dad would have been proud.

"Ponies of Ponyville, I come... in peace."

Everyone grew apprehensive and confused as they began to whisper to one another. A little girl near me dropped their doll and I stooped to pick it up. The ponies stepped back and I slowly straightened back up and cautiously held out the doll to the kid.

"You dropped this."

The kid just stood there, mouth wide open. When she still hadn't reclaimed her toy I slowly set it on her head.

"I'll just... leave that there."

We continued through the town, whispers and nervous glances following us. I tapped my two companions and gestured towards a large building in the center of town.

"Perhaps we should start there?"

Sunny nodded and we all made our way past the shocked crowd and towards the large structure. Once inside, we approached the front desk where a pony was busy at work. I froze before grabbing Gem and Sunny and whispering to them,

"Maybe I should hide while you two ask. You know, lower the risk of her panicking."

Sunny nodded.

"Yeah... that would probably be a smart move."

I quickly made my way outside and sat on the steps as I waited. After a few minutes both ponies walked through the doors.

"So you know where they are?"

Gem nodded excitedly and trotted off towards their home. I noticed, not for the first time, that Sunny was looking a little nervous. I pulled her aside and gave her a searching look.

"Nervous?"

She nodded.

"What about?"

"W-well... it's just.... It's been so long, and just... look at me! I'm... I'm... hideous. I'm covered in scars, I'm missing an eye... I look like some gross--"

"Sunny. If your parents were so torn up about loosing you that they moved because it hurt too much, I'm pretty sure they won't care that you're covered in scars or missing an eye. Heck, they probably wouldn't care if you were missing both eyes and ears and all your legs. Now come on, we have some parents to see."

She took a shaky breath before nodding.

"Yeah... I guess you're right."

We rejoined Gem and followed her past some stores to a small house near the outskirts of town. Me and Gem stood behind Sunny as she tentatively knocked on the door. After a bit a voice shouted,

"Coming! I'm just putting some stuff away."

We waited until the door opened revealing an older looking pony with green fur and a light gray mane. He looked at Sunny and asked,

"Can I help you?"

Sunny just stood there, tears forming in her eyes. Greenhouse gave her a wary look before noticing Gem and I. He froze when he saw me, his eyes going wide.

"Uh...."

"Honey, who is it?"

Soon a mare with a copper colored mane and a pumpkin orange coat trotted up beside him. She looked at Sunny who had tears streaming from her remaining eye and a slight damp spot forming on her eye patch.

"Oh dear, are you alright."

Sunny gave a choking sob before whispering,

"M-mom? D-dad?"

They both froze and looked at her before their eyes widened.

"Sunny!? Is... is that really you!?"

Sunny broke into a smile and sniffed.

"Y-yeah. It-It's me. Your little ray of sunshine."

Greenhouse paled as Pretty Penny held her hooves over her mouth. Slowly, Greenhouse raised a hoof and placed it on Sunny's cheek.

"Sunny... it... you're... you're really here. You're really here!"

Both parents dove forward and wrapped their child in a hug. They all started crying and laughing and holding eachother, telling how much they'd missed them and how much they loved them. They eventually broke it up and Penny said,

"Sunny! What happened! It's been years! Where did you--"

She froze as she finally noticed the dragon standing on her front steps. Sunny looked back before saying,

"Mom, Dad, that's Drake and Gemlight. They rescued me. If not for them... I'd still be... I'd...."

Greenhouse shushed her with a hoof.

"You can tell us all about it inside. And... you're friends can come in too. How about some tea and cookies before you get started."

Sunny nodded and followed her dad into the house, Gem eagerly trotting in after them. I moved to follow before noticing that Pretty Penny was still staring at me.

"Hey, don't worry. I'm not going to set anything on fire."

She smiled before wrapping me in a tight hug and repeatedly kissing me on the cheek. She started crying tears of joy before choking out,

"I-I can never thank you enough for bringing my baby girl home!"

It took some time before she let go. I gave her a bit to compose herself before she led me into the house. We all sat down around a table as Greenhouse poured us all tea. Me and Gem were on one couch while the family all crowded together on the other. Once everyone had a cup, he gave Sunny a reassuring pat on the shoulders before saying,

"If it's not too much, what happened? Where are the others?"

Sunny closed her eye before whispering,

"W-we had just reached the jungle and were making camp a little bit inside. You remember we had planned on visiting there to be able to say we'd seen it?"

Her parents nodded.

"Well, sometime in the night, we were captured by a witch."

"A witch?!"

Sunny nodded.

"S-she... she said she needed us to make her potions. She... she would take pieces of us and boil them into different things. My blood was a rare type so that's the only reason she didn't... didn't."

She began to cry again as her parents held her tightly.

"I remember when she killed Rosemary. She... she cut her heart out while she watched! And for poor Cloud Skipper. He... before she... she started by cutting his wings off. Then she... she...."

She broke down sobbing and her parents joined her. Her mother gasped,

"W-why would she do that? He was always such a nice colt! He didn't deserve that!"

Sunny broke down then.

"I remember him screaming for someone to save him! But... but... I couldn't. It was awful. We all tried to look away but... the sounds. I'll never forget those awful sounds."

She took a deep breath and continued.

"She kept me in a cage after she took my eye. She was constantly cutting off pieces of me and drained my blood. I... it was like what I imagine Tartarus would be like. But then, after so long, Drake and his friends rescued me. I... I thought I was dreaming, or that it was a trick."

She swallowed before looking to her mom.

"Mom, where are their families."

"B-back in Canterlot."

"They... they deserve to know what happened. And I have something for them."

She pulled out the four buckles from before. Greenhouse gave a tearful smile.

"I remember those. We got you all buckles for your saddlebags as a graduation present. You left yours here on accident."

He reached for a little box on a shelf and pulled out a buckle with Sunny's cutie mark on it. The family just spent a while holding onto eachother before I turned to Gem.

"Gem, I have a favor to ask."

"Yeah?"

"You know how I said I'd find you a place to stay while I made us a base? Well I want you to stay with Sunny for a bit. If her parents allow it."

"Why?"

"The more people around her to help her through this, the better. And don't think I haven't noticed you two getting along so well. You're practically sisters given how much time you spend tagging along after her. And she needs that right now."

Gem nodded.

"Yeah... you're right."

I cleared my throat.

"Excuse me, but I have something to ask."

They all looked at me before Greenhouse nodded.

"Yeah?"

"Would it be alright if Gem here stays with you for a bit? I'm in the process of finding a home and don't feel like it'd be a good idea to drag her all over the place when she could stay here."

The two parents perked up.

"Well of course that would be okay! She helped bring our Sunny back home! She can stay as long as she wants."

I nodded as Gem trotted over to give the still distraught Sunny a hug.

"Well, I'll get out of your hair for now. I'll drop by later to say my goodbyes."

They all nodded as I left them to themselves. I wasn't very good at comforting people.

I walked down the street before seeing a bakery that looked interesting. Like, actually looked interesting. It looked like a gingerbread house.

"That's... odd."

I opened the door and stepped in. It was basically empty with only a lankey stallion working the register.

"Welcome to Sugar Cube Corner! How may I-- EEP!"

I ignored his exclamation as I looked over the confections. I clicked my tongue before asking.

"So, what would you recommend. I don't have any particular preference so... what's good?"

The stallion remained frozen. For all I knew he'd died. I waved a claw in front of his face before whistling.

"Hello? Anybody there?"

Just then a mare came down the stairs.

"Carrot, sweetie. Is there somepony-- oh my!"

She gave me a surprised look as the stallion remained paralyzed.

"Oh, hello. I saw your bakery and decided that something sweet sounded good right now. I tried asking him what he recommended, but I think I broke him."

The mare gulped before cautiously walking towards the register.

"W-well... we have lemon squares that we just made today?"

"Ooh! I do love lemon squares. I'll take one. How much will that be?"

"Uh... t-two bits."

Bits bits bits... oh! Those must be the little gold coins! Fortunately I'd kept a small pouch of them incase I'd needed to buy something. What? They were gold coins! Of course I'd keep some with me!

I pulled out the two bits necessary and set them on the counter. The mare put them in the register before shakily getting my purchase.

"Thank you very much!"

She nodded and I walked over to a small table in the corner. As I slowly ate the dessert (which was quite delicious) I looked through my supplies. I didn't need to buy food. I still had plenty of hardtack and I could hunt. My collection of small gems I took as a meal supplement was still doing well having refilled it with some of the gems from the temple. I had two canteens, my tent, my sleeping bag, and a few books. (What! It's a backpack made by Discord himself. Of course it's bigger on the inside.) I noticed something shiny inside and pulled out a large, ocean-blue gem. It was oddly cool and damp to the touch.

"What in the...."

I got a hint of saltwater when I licked its surface.

"I must have accidentally left one in my bag. Although it's the weirdest gem I've ever seen."

As I looked at my find two mares walked in. I didn't notice them but they noticed me. One, a certain fashionista, gasped and pointed me out to her friend.

"Rainbow! Do you see that!?"

Rainbow Dash looked over and did a double take.

"A dragon!? Wow, when you asked me to help you carry home your groceries I thought it'd be boring. What's a dragon doing here!?"

"Not the dragon, darling! That gem!"

Rainbow looked at the large blue gem held in my claw and whistled.

"Sweet Celestia! That thing's big!"

"Not only is it big! It's one of the rarest gems in existence! That's an abyssal sapphire!"

"A whosey-whaty?"

Rarity huffed.

"An abyssal sapphire. It's similar to a fire ruby except that--"

"One's a ruby the other isn't."

"Not exactly. Fire rubies are formed in the hearts of active volcanoes and can be occasionally found after an eruption. Now, whereas those are rare, abyssal sapphires are almost nonexistent given how they're formed. They only form in the depths of trenches deep beneath the ocean. The only way they are found is if they're eaten by some large deep sea creature and carried to the surface. What differentiates them from regular ocean sapphires is their darker coloration and the ever present sea water on the surface of the gem. Why, if I could get that gem, it would make the most exquisite brooch or maneclip."

"Uhuh. Thanks for the lesson. But anyway, you don't have it, that dragon does."

Rarity tittered before fixing her mane.

"Maybe I can persuade him to part with it."

Rainbow Dash groaned.

"Seriously? You mean you'll try to flirt with him. I doubt he'll be as quick to give it up as Spike would. And make sure it is a he beforehoof!"

Rarity trotted over and gave a dainty cough.

"Pardon me my good drake."

I lifted my head and turned around.

"Hm?"

"I couldn't help but notice that exquisite gem you have there."

I looked down at the gem and then back up at the pony.

"Yeah. It is pretty awesome. What about it?"

She sat down beside me and settled into what I assume was a prim and proper position.

"I was wondering if you'd be willing to part with it? I know a dragon of culture when I see one, and I know you'll be reasonable enough to bargain with. Might I add, you have such pleasant scales, and that coat is very fashionable an quite handsome."

She bat her eyelashes and leaned a bit closer.

"Why would you want it?"

"Well I happen to be the owner of a boutique here and I know that a gem of that size and coloration would make an accessory that would be just tres magnifìque."

"So... you want my gem... for some accessory?"

She nodded before resting a hoof on my shoulder and giving me a flirtatious look.

"I'd be most appreciative and would be sure to pay you handsomely."

Wait a minute. Was she trying to flirt with me?! To get my gem!?! My suspicious nature sent up red flags immediately. If she's willing to do this to get it, it must bw rare. And therefore worth keeping as a treasure for my stash. I think I'll see just how far she's willing to try to pull the wool over my eyes so I can gauge the value even more.

"I'm surprised you want it so bad. Honestly I don't know what kind of gem it is."

"Oh, just an oddly colored sapphire."

"Uhuh. Just a sapphire?"

She laughed and waved a hoof at me.

"Of course, darling. Now, are you willing to part with that gem?"

She gave me the old eyelashes and flirty look again. Now, if there's something I hate, it's people trying to manipulate me. Especially if it's a girl trying to use her looks to manipulate me. I crossed my arms.

"Sorry, not for sale."

She gasped.

"Are you certain? Is there nothing I can do to persuade you?"

"Yeah, I can tell when I'm being manipulated. Catch you later."

I put away the gem as she stammered something. Before she could try again I gave her a skeptical look.

"And did you really think that would work? That I'd fall for some ruse just because you batted your eyelashes and gave me bedroom eyes? Lady, we're not even the same species. Not. Interested."

And with that, I was gone. Rainbow Dash went over to her friend.

"I told you. Flirting might work on stallions and Spike, but not on a dragon. Although, I'm surprised you were that crazy about getting that gem. It seems a bit... weird for you to be kinda... greedy."

Rarity gasped.

"Greedy! I never! First off, there's nothing wrong with using my charms to negotiate. And second! That gem is rarer than rare! I can't stand to know it's sitting in some dragon's hoard somewhere or worse."

She gulped.

"Eaten."

Rainbow rolled her eyes.

"Can we hurry this up!? I still have napping to do!"

I walked outside just as Gem ran past chased by a purple unicorn.

"Come back! Wait!"

Oh come on! What did she do! I took off after them and soon turned a corner to find that Gem had been cornered in an alleyway. The unicorn panted before pointing at the amulet I'd given her.

"Give me that!"

Gem stuck her tongue out.

"No! It's mine so you can't have it!"

"No it's not! That's stolen property!"

Just then Sunny and her parents rounded the corner followed by an orange pony in a cowboy hat, and a pink pony with a curly mane and tale. The cowpony said,

"What tha hay, Twilight? Why'd you go running after this filly?"

Greenhouse gave Twilight a stern look.

"Yes, why'd you just come up and try to take her necklace?"

Twilight pointed at the amulet again. Somehow nobody had noticed me.

"Look at it! It's the amulet from the temple! The one that lets you talk to animals!"

The cowpony whistled and took her hat off.

"Well ahl be! It's just like tha picture you showed us."

"Yes! Come on Applejack, Pinkie. Help me get the amulet!"

Applejack looked at Gem who was giving Twilight a dirty look. She sighed and walked towards her.

"Sugarcube, that necklace don't belong to you."

"Yes it does!"

"No it don't. It was stolen."

"Oh really? So who does it belong to?"

I could tell she was baiting them but Twilight must have not realized it.

"Me! Princess Celestia herself sent me to retrieve that amulet. But some thieves got it first. I don't know how you got it, but now you need to give it to me. With that I'll be able to learn about magic that's been forgotten for centuries!"

"No! It was given to me by my friend!"

"Then your friend is a thief!"

"Yep! And I know you don't have any right to this necklace! Finders keepers loosers weepers!"

Twilight growled in frustration before lighting up her horn and attempting to remove it from Gem's neck. I took that as my time to step in. Before she could remove the necklace I stepped forward and slapped her horn. Her spell fizzled out and she yelped.

"Hey! Who--"

She froze as she saw me.

"Where did you come from!"

"I've been here for a while. Now blow off before I do worse."

She gulped before looking me over. She gasped,

"I know you! You're Drake the dragon! You stole from Princess Celestia! But wait... if you...."

She looked between the necklace and me again before glaring at me. Huh, she was familiar-- oh yeah! I held her hostage!

"You also helped steal that necklace!"

"Wow! Give her a prize! I was wondering if you would recognize me given you never actually saw me."

"You're the one who knocked me out!"

"Wow, smooth Sherlock, smooth."

"By order of the Princess you're under arrest! Come along quietly and we won't have to fight you."

"You'd like that, wouldn't you."

I motioned for Gem to follow me before shoving past the unicorn and out onto the street. I heard something from behind and quickly lept to the side. A ball of purple energy shot past me. I spen around and growled at Twilight.

"You wanna go? Cause I'll put you in the ground!"

Her two friends followed her out and stood beside her. Before long Rarity and Rainbow Dash came running.

"Twilight darling what's-- YOU!"

"Sup hoe."

"HEY! Don't you dare insult Rarity like that!"

I looked and saw that there had been a small purple and green lizard with the pink one the whole time.

"The heck? What's with the talking lizard?"

He puffed up his chest.

"I'm a DRAGON!"

"Yeah, right. And a house cat's a sabertooth tiger."

Another pegasus came sheepishly towards Twilight.

"Um... is something happening?"

"Yeah! We're going to capture this dangerous criminal!"

She looked at me before squeaking and hiding behind her friends. Now it was seven against one. How fun.

I discreetly removed my backpack and handed it to Gem. I whispered,

"Hide this and your necklace where they won't find it. I don't want to risk losing them."

She nodded and ran off. As the seven advanced with various looks of anger on their faces, I crossed my arms.

"Look. Do you really want to do this? Cause if you were smart you'd skip the fight and let me go. You know, avoid damaging the town."

Rainbow flew up and scoffed.

"Oh please! We'll have you out cold faster than you can say Rainbow Dash is awesome!'"

I sighed and held my right claw behind my back. By now a crowd had gathered behind the ponies and lizard man had run off somewhere. I conjured my sword behind my back so they wouldn't know it was magic and got into a ready stance.

"Alright, you want to fight? I'll give you a fight!"

Pink lept in the air.

"Hey! No weapons! That's cheating!"

"And six on one isn't?"

She paused mid jump and tapped her chin.

"Eh, he's got a point."

We stood glaring at eachother before I sneered,

"Let's dance."

Author's Note:

Sorry about the cliffhanger but the chapter was getting too long. I'll put out the next one soon. Once again, my apologies.