• Published 17th Jun 2017
  • 3,304 Views, 136 Comments

Canterlot High Has A New What?! - Enclave2277



Sweetie Belle uses her newfound lifestyle to help rescue a transfer student trapped behind a mask.

  • ...
21
 136
 3,304

Music Of The What?!

Chapter 6: Music Of The What?!


Once school ended, Sweetie met up with Breezy out by the front entrance. Rarity had to stick around for some extra work in the school but Fluttershy was nice enough to give the duo a lift back to Sweetie’s house. Sweetie originally wanted to go to Breezy’s in order to make the girl more comfortable. But Breezy insisted that Sweetie’s house was closer to CHS.

The duo barely spoke on the ride over. The situation was not at all helped by Fluttershy’s tendency to stay quiet, and whenever they did speak it was nothing more than shop talk. Still, Sweetie reminded herself of the words Rarity had for her earlier: go slowly. She wasn’t going to tell Breezy that she was a nudist at all, and also was going to keep her clothing on for the encounter.

Breezy meanwhile was a complete wreck. Asking Sweetie Belle to help out with homework was hard enough, especially since the questions posed were relatively easy to handle. But going over to this girl’s house was absolutely terrifying. Breezy’s mind raced trying to figure out all the possibilities and outcomes that might happen. And none of them were good.

Still, she remained composed when the duo got to Sweetie’s house. Sweetie waved goodbye to Fluttershy and they made their way to the front door. Breezy was quiet impressed by the house, it was larger than her new home and had a very bright white and pink color scheme. At first Breezy thought that Sweetie’s parents tried to make their house very much like a wedding cake.

When they got inside, Breezy was very impressed. The living room was very roomy and open; few walls connected it to the kitchen and dining room, the whole room just felt big. And the color was a cooling bluish color with pink and purple highlights. It gave a very calm feeling to her.

“Wow this is impressive.” Breezy muttered.

“Well when you have a sister who’s a fashion designer you tend to live in houses that look aesthetically pleasing.” Sweetie said in a matter of fact tone.

Breezy looked at Sweetie, who was walking into the living room and over to a large couch in the middle of it, “You’re sister is a fashion designer?”

“Yup,” Sweetie Belle said proudly, “She’s done work for Countess Coloratura and Sapphire Shores.”

Breezy was taken back as she limped her way into the living room, “Wow, that’s….amazing.”

Sweetie brushed the comment off, “You get used to it. Have a seat.”

Breezy nodded and sat down on the couch, dropping her backpack onto the floor, “Thanks.” So far everything was working well. Still she was hesitant to lower her hoodie or even dare think about taking off her mask. Then again Sweetie Belle didn’t seem to mind.

Sweetie smiled as she set her backpack down on the arm chair next to the couch, “I’m gonna head to the kitchen. Would you like something to drink or eat?”

Breezy shook her head, “No thanks.”

Nodding Sweetie made her way to the kitchen, “Do you like Countess or Sapphire?” She walked up to the fridge and poured herself a glass of water.

Breezy tilted her ear to hear Sweetie better, “I’m sorry?” Sweetie repeated her question a little louder. “Oh not really, I mean I’ve listen to them but…”

“Yeah, they’re not my taste either.” Sweetie smiled poking her head out to look at Breezy.

“Oh…” Breezy answered.

“So what kinda music do you listen to?” Sweetie asked from the kitchen.

“Oh…um….ballads,” Breezy answered.

“Really,” Sweetie asked, “Love Ballads, sad ballads…?”

“Just ballads,” Breezy answered.

She squirmed for a moment not sure of what to do. This was really the first time she had been over anyone else’s house, and even trying to make small talk or start conversations was tough for her. Simply put she was very much out of her element. Still she felt she had to make the attempt rather than sit there and say nothing.

“What kind of music do you like to listen to?”

Sweetie chuckled as she walked back into the living room, “I prefer show tunes myself, though my friend Apple Bloom has gotten me into country music.”

Breezy nodded, “That’s…interesting. Um…what’s your favorite?”

“Country songs?”

“No show tune.”

“Oh,” Sweetie smiled, “Well my favorite’s Fiddler on the Roof.

Breezy smiled under her mask, “Oh I know that one, what’s your favorite?”

“Tavye’s Dream actually, though I pretty much memorized ‘If I was a rich man.’” Sweetie giggled.

For the first time, Breezy chuckled, “Wait really?”

Instead of confirming Breezy’s question, Sweetie set the glass of water down on the table. She cleared her throat and gave a gentle hum to find the right tune.

All day long I'd biddy-biddy-bum
If I were a wealthy man

Breezy couldn’t help but smile at the sight she was seeing. The tune wasn’t exactly normal, as Sweetie’s voice was much higher than Tavye, but it didn’t matter. Sweetie had a silly expression on her face as she continued the tune. What did surprise Breezy was how easily Sweetie was able to keep tune and rhythm despite no music being played.

I wouldn't have to work hard, ♫
Daidle deedle daidle
Daidle daidle deedle daidle dumb

Sweetie meanwhile was having the time of her life. The song may have been one man’s dream of better time, but for right now she was only using it to be entertaining. Plus, despite the mask Sweetie could tell Breezy was actually enjoying the show. Sweetie always knew that signing came easy for her, but what she enjoyed most was making everyone smile by her voice. She threw both arms up in the air for the next part.

I'd build a big tall house with rooms by the dozen
Right in the middle of the town,
A fine tin roof with real wooden floors below.

What really blew Breezy away was the power of Sweetie’s voice. Despite the song not really being a bombastic tune and Sweetie singing it fairly gently, it was still coming out of her with such force that it made Breezy sink back a bit.

There would be one long staircase just going up
And one even longer coming down, ♫
And one more leading nowhere, just for show.

Breezy applauded gently before realizing that she was actually laughing. Her cheeks hurt slightly from the big grin that had been placed upon her face. There was no denying it, any apprehension she had when she came over was now long gone. And that was not lost on Sweetie Belle, who took a gentle bow before sitting back down into the armchair.

“That was amazing,” Breezy complimented, “I didn’t know you could sing.”

“It’s a natural talent,” Sweetie smiled.

“Have you ever thought about making a career out of it?” Breezy asked.

“Oh all the time,” Sweetie Belle answered, “I’ve just gotten into…other things first.”

Breezy nodded slightly but said nothing.

Sweetie took a sip of her water, “What about you, do you have a favorite musical?”

Breezy went silent for a moment as she thought about her answer, “Phantom of the Opera.”

“Oh I remember seeing that play. I think I saw it when I was young but I don’t have many memories of it.” Sweetie smiled, “What’s your favorite song from it?”

Breezy mused for a moment before answering, “Music of the Night.

“Wow, that’s a tough song to sing.” Sweetie grimaced, “Speaking from personal experience.”

Breezy grimaced behind her mask, “I’ve never had a problem.”

Sweetie leaned back in her chair with a gentle smile. So far everything was going well. Breezy seemed comfortable for the most part and not the least bit unnerved. So she decided to push her luck, “Well, can you sing it?”

Breezy looked at Sweetie with slightly horrified eyes. She wasn’t sure what do next. There was no way she could dodge by saying she can’t sing because Sweetie Belle had clearly heard her sing back in the gym. Then a stray thought entered her mind, it would only seem fair to do so.

“Wait why?” Breezy thought to herself, “What could I possibly gain?”

But as she mulled, the answer became a bit more obvious. Sweetie had gone out of her way to give an, albeit silly, performance of “If I were a rich man” so Breezy simply saying no to singing “Music of the Night” would be rude.

Are you crazy? Your voice is better than hers! She will be offended! Her mind bit back.

Then a random thought fluttered through her brain, a memory of something her mother once said, “Friendship is give and take as well as sharing the things you’re good at.”

Heed my instructions! You will be safe!

Breezy swallowed gently before giving Sweetie a nod. She took a deep breath in.

Night time sharpens, heightens each sensation
Darkness wakes and stirs imagination♫

At first her voice was weak and thin, a result of her not giving it her all. A mixture of nerves held her back as she had never sang for anyone outside of her family. Breezy’s heart raced she took another deep breath in.

♫Silently the senses abandon their defenses…♫

Breezy squeaked out the final note of that first verse before glancing over at Sweetie. Her companion seemed a little uneasy, as if she was either concerned for Breezy or concerned that Breezy wasn’t even trying.

Come on Breezy you can do it! A memory shouted at her. It was of the time she first sang to her parents long ago, in another life.

That was before your punishment…Breezy’s mind told her. But she shut that out, using the memory to pluck up courage. She took a big breath.

Slowly, gently, night unfurls its splendor…♫

Slowly her voice gained its strength and she sensitively spoke, “Grasp it sense it.”

As she returned to the song, her voice slowly became stronger and much firmer. Feeling some confidence build within, Breezy closed her eyes and focused.

Tremulous and Tender, ♫
♫Turn your face away from the garish light of day♫
♫Turn your thoughts away from cold unfeeling light.♫
♫And listen to the music of the night.♫

Slowly, Sweetie watched as Breezy rose from the couch without even reaching for her cane. But that wasn’t what gave Sweetie her shocked expression. Breezy’s voice was simply amazing! Unlike her own which was bombastic and powerful, Breezy’s was angelic and smooth as if it was fluttering in from the heavens above to gently caress and hold anyone who heard it.

Close your eyes and surrender to your darkest dreams♫
♫Purge all thoughts of the life you knew before.♫
♫Close your eyes, let your spirit start to….soar! ♫

Breezy held the note of the last verse as long as she could to allow for the moment to resonate slightly. The world around her melted away and whatever objections her mind had given earlier were now drowned out by the excitement she was once again feeling. This was the last thing she had left outside of her Aunt and Uncle and she was going to enjoy it.

Slowly gently music shall surround you.♫
♫Hear it, feel it, closing in around you! ♫
♫Open up your mind, Let your fantasies unwind! ♫
♫In this darkness which you know you cannot fight. ♫
♫The darkness of the music of the night! ♫

Now Breezy felt herself free of the previous restrictions before her and put everything she had into the song. Sweetie’s mouth nearly hit the floor, almost dethatching from her own jaw. Her eyes widened to the point of nearly popping out Outside of the Broadway theater run, she had never heard anyone sing as beautifully as Breezy was doing now.

♫Let your mind start a journey through a strange new world♫
♫Leave all thoughts of the life you knew before♫
♫Let your soul take you where you long to… ♫
♫Be!!!!♫

Then Breezy gasped as she heard the note for which she sung. It was at a height she hadn’t reached in a long time. Upon hearing the range, she stopped as her mind transported her back to the moment when she reached it before. It was so long ago in her old house, during Hearths Warming Eve, in front of her parents whom were shocked, impressed, and amazed.

But then the memory changed, becoming distorted as it shifted to the night that the Goddess handed down her punishment. That snapped Breezy out of the musical trance she had placed herself in. Once again she found herself in Sweetie Belle’s living room, this time standing without the assistance of her cane, and breathing rather heavily.

Her hands found her throat as she was stunned at the height she had just reached.

You have opened the door insolent child. Her mind spoke, the scorpions will now come.

Breezy began to softly hyperventilate as she wobbled. Sweetie, noticing her new friend’s disposition, jumped from her chair and ran over to support Breezy.

“Breezy…Breezy are you okay?” Sweetie asked, “That….that was amazing. Why have you stopped…?”

“Bathroom…” Breezy whispered, gasping for air, “Where is your bathroom?”

Confused slightly, Sweetie acquiesced, “Down the hall second door on your right.”

Breezy groped the air with her right hand, vainly searching for her cane. Seeing this, Sweetie let go of Breezy momentarily and picked up the item before handing it over. Now stable with the support of her cane, Breezy made her way quickly over to the bathroom leaving a stunned and bewildered Sweetie Belle.

Once she got into the bathroom, Breezy locked herself in and took off her mask to breathe easier, lowering her hood as well. She walked over to the sink, rested upon it, and began running the water before she washed her face. While it stopped her from hyperventilating it didn’t fully calm her down.

Breezy looked at her face in the mirror and noticed tears forming within her eyes. It had been so long that she had sung for anyone other than her guardians that she was moved. But there was another problem facing her as well.

She had sang, she had sang for Sweetie Belle, a person whom up until recently was unknown to her. She had once again opened the door to a person who could easily turn things against her.

Shhh, breath Breezy, her mind consoled her, Deep breaths my girl.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry. I was weak…” Breezy whispered.

It’s okay; you made a mistake nothing more. Her mind told her.

“But, she was so good, and then I…I just…” Breezy was almost about to break down in tears.

Indeed you did, next time you should remember why I tell you to be cautious. Her mind responded.

Breezy took several deep breaths before finally regaining some level of composure, “I just…wanted to make a friend…”

A noble goal yes, but with your punishment it is all but impossible. Now you best go back, that fool who invited you over may think you’re being rude. Her mind told her.

Breezy was just about to agree when she heard the front door to the house open.

“Sweetie Belle I’m home!” a new voice called through.

“Oh hey Rarity welcome home,” Sweetie greeted.

There was a pause before Rarity spoke again, “Sweetie you still have your clothes on what’s the occasion?”

“Rarity! I have a friend over!” Sweetie screamed.

“Oh right, I forgot,” Rarity said sounding genuinely surprised, “I’m sorry Sweetie Belle.”

“It’s okay,” Sweetie responded.

Breezy took another deep breath before putting her mask back on, raising her hood, and taking her cane in hand before exited the bathroom. Upon exiting, she saw Sweetie’s older sister Rarity. Rarity’s expression was slightly shocked, but much to Breezy’s surprise the shock seemed more geared that she didn’t know company was over.

“Rarity, this is Breezy Kite,” Sweetie introduced.

“Pleasured to meet you,” Rarity smiled extending her hand.

Breezy however recoiled, still a little off put from what had recently happened. Undeterred, Rarity nodded and smile, “I just brought home some smoothie mix, would you like some?”

This brightened Breezy’s spirits slightly, “Um…sure, do you have banana flavor?”

Rarity nodded and headed off to the kitchen to make some. Sweetie meanwhile escorted Breezy back into the living room. Sweetie still had no idea what had caused Breezy’s sudden panic attack, if one could call it that, but she was sure that having Breezy finish the song was a bad idea. Still that didn’t mean she didn’t want to complement the performance.

“Are you feeling better?” Sweetie asked as they both sat back down.

“Yes, I just…you know how….” Breezy stammered trying to find the right lie, “I just didn’t practice before hand.”

Sweetie nodded, “Well for someone who didn’t practice that was absolutely amazing!”

What? Her mind asked shocked.

“What?” Breezy repeated, equally shocked.

“I’m serious. I mean I know I’m good but I’ve never heard someone so angelic and soulful. And if you said you never practiced that’s an amazing talent you’ve been given.” Sweetie complimented, smiling ear to ear. Of course Sweetie had heard many great performers before, but as far as she was concerned Breezy was among the top.

Breezy was silent for a moment, her eyes watering in shock. This was unexpected. Neither her mind nor her heart knew what to do next but a warm sensation filled her. For the first time outside of her family, someone had complimented her. Sweetie wanted to be her friend. She was silent for a moment before replying.

“Thank you…” she whispered.

Sweetie smiled at that show of gratitude. If nothing else she at least made her first step towards connecting with Breezy. However what came next took her off guard.

Breezy shifted in her seat, “So…um…when you’re sister asked about you still having your clothes on….what did she mean by that?”

Sweetie’s face went beat red as she leaned back in her chair. That was certainly out of left field even for her. Breezy was now treading on territory that might push her away. At first she thought she’d play it off, say it was nothing but a joke between sisters.

But the more she thought about the more she realized something. Why was she going to hide this from someone who wanted to be her friend? Breezy may be unorthodox to say the least but she still was a friend, why hide? So she took a leap.

“Well, it’s because I’m actually a nudist.” Sweetie answered nonchalantly.

Breezy’s eyes went wide as she looked disbelievingly at Sweetie Belle. She sat there silently for a moment not sure how to process that information.

“…Wait…” she stammered, “…So that means you…you hang out…without…”

“Clothes, yes,” Sweetie answered, feeling surer of herself.

Breezy’s expression didn’t change for a moment. Then she squeaked out, “That’s weird…you’re weird…”

Instantly she wanted to take it back. She felt horrible for even thinking it. Who was she to comment about someone’s lifestyle without taking her own sheltered life into consideration? But then Sweetie laughed. That was actually the line Sweetie was expecting Breezy to say.

“I guess it is actually, but I enjoy it so whatever.” Sweetie smiled.

Once again Breezy was taken by surprise by Sweetie Belle, she wasn’t offended at all at her comment nor was she being mean in anyway. Sweetie seemed to be making an effort to be very accommodating to Breezy.

“So, if I wasn’t here you’d be…naked…?” Breezy asked.

“Yup,” Sweetie nodded.

“Oh…I…um…well I don’t want to make you uncomfortable.” Breezy said with a hint of uncertainty.

But Sweetie waved her off, “Don’t worry I’m actually fine right now. Besides I don’t think you’d be comfortable with me full monty anyway.”

That made Breezy giggle, “Yeah I suppose you’re right. So is your sister also a nudist?”

Sweetie shook her head, “Actually no, I’m the only one of the family. But most of my friends are.”

“Really,” Breezy asked, “So you all hang out around each other naked?” After Sweetie nodded Breezy asked, “And it’s not weird or anything?”

“Nope,” Sweetie Belle answered.

“Wow, I can’t imagine ever having friends like that or even being as brave as you…being so upfront about yourself in front of people and not afraid…afraid of people mocking you, calling you ugly or a hideous creature…” Breezy sighed, her heart starting to beat with pangs of sadness, “…chasing you.”

Sweetie’s expression went from one of assurance to that of concern. The thought of the terror’s Breezy’s been through humbled Sweetie. Diamond may have been a troublemaker in her own right, but she must’ve been nothing compared to those who hurt Breezy.

“Well, you won’t have to worry about that at CHS,” Sweetie smiled, “Now let’s get back to work!”

Author's Note:

1). This is essentially the raw version of the chapter. The editor was unable to go through it in time for publication. If any of you spot errors that need cleaning up, let me know and I'll do my best to correct them.

2). After the release of this chapter, Blake will be going on vacation for a while. Thus, the next chapter will be on a week-long hiatus.

3). The lyrics to Music of The Night and any subsequent references to Phantom of the Opera belong, in their entirety, to Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber.