• Published 25th Jun 2017
  • 1,376 Views, 20 Comments

It's an Ordinary World - Opium4TmassS



Forgotten gods and old mysteries collide in a small town in Kansas.

  • ...
2
 20
 1,376

The End of Days

I wont cry for yesterday,
Theirs an ordinary world,
Somehow I have to find.

The world ended in a ball of fire, there was no place left to run.

"Tell me your name?" The voice whispered. Casual and demanding, harsh yet kind. Over and over the voice had been following her for years. Demanding for her to say what it wanted to hear, what it had always known. There was no use in running from her anymore.

"What is your name?" asked the voice again.

The fire blazed out of control burning everything and anything it touched while the screams of the people filled the air around her. Houses collapsed into puddles of melted metal, brick and burnt wood while a thick ash hung in the air from the lack of a breeze making it hard to breath. The road bubbled and boiled from the intense heat as the girl continued to stagger in the direction that the unseen voice was guiding her leaving dull pink footprints on the melting road as she walked onwards.

The sky was colored in a reddish glow with long streaks of yellow caressing the cloudless horizon. Was it sunrise? Was it sunset? Who knew. All of time it seemed had stopped as her world burned away taking all that the girl cared about with it.

The slashes she made on each of her forearm hours before it all happened still bled out a multitude of colors from the open, ugly wounds. Looking like paint, smelling like spoiled milk the colors gushed out: Orange, pink, purple, blue, yellow, and white. It stained her arms, flowed onto her hands and dripped down to the ground leaving a rainbow trail behind her as she walked on. Their was no escape. Their was no way out. The thing that called herself Celestia would never let her go.

"Why would you ever want to leave me?" The voice asked, "I love you."

The screams started to die out as the fire burned everything, reducing the world to ash and smoke. Quieting the world till only the crackle of the flames could be heard. She noticed how peaceful it was as she removed the scorched and tattered remains of her nightshirt leaving her to walk the rest of the way naked.

"Why are you doing this?" she asked

"Do you make the sun rise?" the voice answered, "On sinners and saints alike my rays have lit the earth since its creation. Who are you to question the whys of my actions."

She felt the force pulling her harder. Her skin began to rip and tear in the blistering heat as a milky substance oozed from each cut. The liquid traveled outward across her body, wrapping itself around her. Covering the girl from head to toe.

"I have been gone for a long, long time. All I see is hurt and pain and death. The world has forgotten about the compassion I gave to the people. The world has forgotten about my friendship. I have returned to a world that has abandoned my love. I will make the world remember it again." the voice in her head paused in thought before continuing, "Even if I have to kill everyone to do it."

The ground around her twisted and expanded outwards as the abused earth finally ripped apart flooding the ground with that same milky substance covering the girl. Drowning out all what the girl could see.

"Oh how they will worship me again. You will see the temples that will be erected in my honor. The sacrifices that will go joyously to their death just to catch a glimpse of my magnificence. This world will be mine. Its people will be mine. I was forgotten. Worse still abandoned. You my child will show the world that a god now walks the earth with them."

Silence filled the world of ash from the flood of spoiled milk covering everything beneath it. Only leaving her and the boiling road that lead her on to the center of the town she once called home.

"Tell me you name," the voice insisted inside her.

"Please stop," The girls whimpered as a rainbow of tears flowed down her cheeks coloring the spreading whiteness that left few spaces of her bare skin left.

"Your name."

"Please."

"What is your name," the voice again asked, staggering the girl as waves of anger rippled through her body, twisting and braking things inside her, forcing the girl to her knees as a strangled cry erupted from her mouth.

"Get up,"said the voice while the girl felt claws digging deep into her, pushing her off the ground.

Step after step she plodded onwards. The ground disappearing behind her as the fluid washed over the road, the smell of rotting milk growing stronger, absorbing the other odors as the girl's world was washed away in white.

It was a small patch of grass left in the world of white that the voice led her. A strange oasis of color in the middle of the emptiness, she was forced to kneel onto the warm grass as the voice inside her drove her hands deep into the soft earth. Digging at the loose gravel until her hands closed around what the voice was searching for.

The thing felt smooth, sharp at both ends and long. With a tug the object broke free from the broken earth as the girl brought it up for her to see what it was. A delicate horn made of bone with a swirling pattern running from the base to the tip that glinted in the killing fire of the sun. The only thing marring its beauty was the rusty iron nail embedded at the bottom of the horn jutting outwards in a odd angle. Sharp and dangerous she stared at the nail as a growing fear pierced her chest.

She felt the voice inside her twist the horn in her hand around until that terrible nail jutted outwards towards her head. The girl could feel time stopping as the world held its breath waiting to see what would happen. As she knelt holding the object in her hand she noticed finally the shadows of children overlapping her in a circle that completely surrounded her in a rainbow of colors.

"Help me," whimpered the girl shutting her eyes tightly as she felt her head and her arms pulled back.

"What is your name?" asked the voice once more before ramming her head and hands together with all of her might.

The world became silent as it listened, waiting for what she was going to say.

"My name?" said the girl finally opening her eyes as she wiped at the blood trailing the horn that had pierced her head. "My name is Starlight Glimmer."

The world exploded around her.

As I try to make my way,
To the ordinary world,
I will learn to survive.

Author's Note:
Comments ( 20 )

Please, continue ...

8255566
Lol thank you. I plan on it.

RB_

I must say, I am intrigued.
Though the editor in me must point out, their != there.

8255585
Thank you for the observation.:pinkiehappy:

....well. This is certainly a surreal thing to read. I have so many questions. But in the hopes that they'll be answered as this story progresses, I can wait ever so patiently. Nice work.

8256532:rainbowlaugh:
I did feel this cover by Joy Williams better conveyed the mood of the story.

8256843
Duran Duran was the first version I heard, I'll give the other group a listen.

8256860
Duran Duran was the original singer

8256864
They were, but sometimes the cover or a remake can be better than the original. You've heard both, what's your opinion over all?

8256871
Really that's a hard question. I love the melancholy in Joy Williams. But Duran Duran's version is still a great song even if it feels 80'ish.

8256877
I have to agree with you there, safe to say they are equal to each other. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

8255621
Thank you that means a lot.

"I have been gone for a long, long time. All I see is hurt and pain and death. The world has forgotten about the compassion I gave to the people. The world has forgotten about my friendship. I have returned to a world that has abandoned my love. I will make the world remember it again." the voice in her head paused in thought before continuing, "Even if I have to kill everyone to do it."

Celestia doing something apart from eating cake? What is this, an alternate reaOooh, right :pinkiegasp:

"My name?" said the girl finally opening her eyes as she wiped at the blood trailing the horn that had pierced her head. "My name is Starlight Glimmer."

"And I did everything for just one guy who didn´t even remember me" :pinkiecrazy:

As I try to make my way,
To the ordinary world,
I will learn to survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4

The description tells me nothing!

Yes! Starlight Glimmer is gonna my in this! *le fluttershy yay*:yay:

min

do you think you’ll ever come back to this?

10252628
I feel once i finish Momma Ill be returning to unfinished stories.

min

10252633
oh i can’t wait for the rest of momma, keep up the good work and take your time of course!

Login or register to comment