• Published 11th Jun 2017
  • 668 Views, 3 Comments

Patch Day - drunkenpandaren



Starlight Glimmer's efforts to change the present affected the past in many ways, and changed not just Twilight's present, but everypony else in this alternate glimpse into another timeline.

  • ...
0
 3
 668

Variation 5: Letters To a Legion

A quill was dipped in ink with the owner holding it in a golden glow of magic. Pony magic came like breathing to Celestia, and yet her chest was tight as she wrote it. Outside, the skies were peaceful as always, an illusion to keep the natives from panicking.

With a heavy heart, she began to write.

Dear Twilight,

It has been a long time since we've wrote each other, and even longer still since we've seen one another. Would it be that it was like the old days when we would simply take a short chariot ride to see one another.

Ponyville, and Equestria is safe still. Our special guests keep it well hidden in our little corner of the galaxy. Certainly ponies miss their favorite princess, but they'll have to settle for Luna filling their nights with joy.

I wish I could speak with you, but you are so far away. I hope this letter reaches you. Spike is with you, right? I know he would never leave your side no matter the problem at hand.

I can only send a short letter, but Sunset sends her regards. She wishes she could see you again, but she said she is going to something called a Camp.

Your friend,
Princess Celestia

With a flick of her magic, Celestia rolled up the parchment, and locked it with a royal seal before flicking it away in a burst of fire. Then, turning towards the castle court, she declared court was open.

=====

A day passed and no communication. Celestia was worried but her students duties took precedent for the situation at hand. And then, a parchment came, smoking a little from the exit from the long journey it had undertook.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I'm glad everypony thinks of us, as we go on our mission at hand. Our new friends are incredible, I'm learning so much about the magic they call the Arcane! They have millions of years of history here, more than I could ever get through in a day.

The girls are doing well, and Spike too. Spike is already complaining about the lack of comic books or fresh air, but in our downtime, one of our allies has shown us something called a Viewing Crystal, and has queued up old plays for them. They're really entertaining.

Applejack wants to send some of these plants she found. They're pure so we don't have to worry. It's kind of amazing that we discovered that plant life still grows here, but I guess our opponents need to eat too. Rainbow Dash hates flying here though, as she said it feels heavy. I guess she and Fluttershy don't want to stay in the air too long.

Pinkie Pie has been a great morale booster for everypony, throwing parties over every little moment she can afford. Though I think she's running out of confetti. Send more! And of course Rarity is studying their fashion. And I think she's planning on fashioning things for us too, with the materials we have on hand.

I need to get going, or else our window of reply will close. I hope everypony in Ponyville is doing well.

Your friend,
Twilight Sparkle

After rolling up the parchment, Celestia added it to the list. How many replies had even gotten through? Her journey was a perilous one, but with the help of their friends, the would be able to protect Equestria even after she had turned old and grey.

With a sigh, Celestia prepared to lower the sun for the moon to rise.

=====

Dear Princess Celestia,

It's been a crazy few days here. Although it feels like an eternity. Up is down, left is right, and I think only Pinkie Pie makes any sense in this place.

We managed to secure a location with our friends in a place that was once sacred to the original inhabitants. Though one of our friends has gone missing since the last push. You'd like him, he's not like the other [unfamiliar word] that work with the dangerous people. He's enthralled in this thing they call the Light.

Spike has been a big help once he got used to the routine. He's been growing stronger, and eating well. He's able to carry all of the troops gear in one go! Although it also takes Rarity and I to stabilize them,

Best of luck with our new push!

Your friend,
Twilight Sparkle

It had been... three months since the last letter. And Celestia had begun to give up hope of any reply. Any letters she had sent never arrived, or perhaps arrived late. Who knew? At the same time, she worried her student would come changed, and not for the better.

A duty of a princess was to protect her subjects, and above all else, protect her friends. Maybe now, Twilight realized this even more than before.

Celestia rose the sun, but it was cold on this winter day.

=====

Spring came and a letter arrived, written on a terrifying parchment made of a dull red leather. For a moment, Celestia and Luna were loathe to open up the parchment, but soon did so.

The letter however was in Twilights sturdy hornwriting and they breathed a sigh of relief. Even with the disturbing "paper" it was written on, the intent was clear.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I'm sorry for the lack of communication, it's been a busy few... years? I think? Time really doesn't flow well here in the Nether. I'm sorry for the lack of proper parchment, I ran out and there was an attack, and even though a lot of our members got hurt, we managed to salvage some of the enemies writing supplies.

The word enemy was forefront in Celestia's mind as she read this out loud. Twilight never made enemies, only friends. To have been worn down this much... this Campaign, against the dark forces was becoming strenuous.

Commander Lothraxion has requested we reinforce a small world that could be key to ending this war.

There was the words again. Reinforce. War. More reason that this task would take more than ever to finish.

I, and the rest of our friends are being sent to a small world which has a Titan Soul in it. And heroes. Heroes who are stronger than any warrior of the Army of the Light have seen before. It is his hope we will find the resources we seek to reinforce the barrier around our world.

I know one thing however. We can't make friends with the Burning Legion. They are terrible beings, and even if some have come to our side in search of a brighter future, they are cruel and dark.

I wish I didn't have to finally admit this, Princess, but the Army of the Light is losing ground. That is why me and the girls and Spike are being evacuated to this world, called Azeroth. It is there, we hope, we will find the Titan Soul hospitable to our aid.

Your friend,
Twilight Sparkle

Author's Note:

Variation 5: 6/11/2017
Series: MLP FIM, World of Warcraft: Legion