• Published 10th Jun 2017
  • 937 Views, 25 Comments

Lullaby for Midlight - Blankscape



When the fading entity cries out, the world shall know its plight. Won't you come and sing it a lullaby?

  • ...
 25
 937

Prologue - A Lullaby


Those fleeting melodies recalled in my memory.

It was the dead of the night when I sat up in bed. Their twilight harmonies rang out deeply and profoundly in my heart when no one else remembered them. By their soothing peaceful tones, my heart stilled, calm and clement, yet resolute to suffer neither storm nor tempest. A feeling rose in my chest. It was warm and fuzzy, and I couldn't contain it... I had to get out.

The cuckoo clock on the wall chimed just an hour before midnight. It was already so late, yet hearing those two downstairs bickering over trifles actually meant the night was anything but dead. The correction made me chuckle as I reached for a rusty xylophone, the meager scrap they had scrounged from the dump for me. It was a battered and nearly broken thing, and yet I couldn't thank them enough for this one gift.

Lifting the window open with a hoof, I shimmied up over its sill. The drop from the window was not too far in spite of my height. Touching down on dew-dropped grass, I hastened my little hooves up the hill by our house on the edge of Ponyville.

Cresting its peak, I sat myself on the low-lying bow of the lone tree that grew there. A beautiful rural township, it was, and it opened up to me over a great deal of my sight. The view I gazed upon was aplenty with the heart, unity, cheer and all of the muchness of its residents, rustic as they were. Up above, the stars were arranged in numerous arrays and the moon casted a warm glow as it hung the cold evening air. With naught an obscuring cloud in its expanse, the night mare's sky was even more so beautiful...if only a twinge forlorn. My only companion now was a genteel breeze that hung in the air, rustling the leaves of the tree I sat under with its gossamer touch. As comforting as it was, a slight sorrow in the night sky was palpable...at least to me it was.

It was her, wasn't it? The night mare had been through so much herself. A solace would do her good, do the both of us good. It was ever so good to share. Sticking my chest out and straightening my back, I steadied my fetlock over a rusted key and cleared my throat to prepare.

As faithfully as I could recall and as sincerely​ as I could play, I began and hummed along...

I offered for us, this evening, a lullaby.


Author's Note:

AN[170610]

*Putting the Prologue in the long description was a 'testing the waters' move on my part. I don't have a good enough long description ATM, though I could manage the tagline, which I thought was pretty sweet. The rules/guidelines say I'm not supposed to do that, but I've read a lot of shit that's slipped through their nets. So I'm checking if who ever approves this will let it slide. The Prologue isn't too long after all, so yeah...

MEA MAXIMA CULPA, KYRIE ELEISON!!! :fluttershysad::scootangel:

*So it's been approved and they were fine with the Prologue being in the long description. If enough people request it, I will transfer it into its own proper chapter. And thank you, all of you who come to read my story. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.

AN[170709]
I might change the prologue and transfer it to a proper chapter. Looking for a reply from the author whose story helped inspired this in some small part.

AN[260717]
So after consulting a friend, I've written down a proper description and moved the prologue into its own chapter. Sorry about the false update guys. And planning has mostly been going well. Chapter 4 should be out within the next 2 weeks at most.