• Published 8th Jul 2017
  • 4,458 Views, 663 Comments

Yugioh EQG: Shadow Gates - Banshee531



The Celestic Cup Finals have arrived. Who will take the crown and what mysterious ploys are being plotted in the shadows? Only time will tell.

  • ...
3
 663
 4,458

PreviousChapters Next
Turn 34, Rainbow Falls

Five years ago

A twelve year old Rainbow Dash found herself on a field with a bunch of other kids her age, all dressed in soccer gear. Rainbow was currently dribbling a ball along the ground, zigzagging around some cones and then racing towards the goal. With one powerful kick, she shot the ball towards the goal and scored.

A little while later, Rainbow and the rest of the kids were waiting as the coach pinned up the chart. Rainbow pushed to the front and looked up at the chart. "Alright," she said, "I came...second? Who came first?" She looked up at the name above her and read it aloud. "Who's Lightning Dust."

"That would be me."

Rainbow looked around and saw a girl her age with the same coloured skin, with yellow and orange hair.

"So you're my competition," Lightning said with a smirk on her face, "think you can keep up?"

"Of course," Rainbow said, "I'll soon have my name atop that chart."

Lightning smirked. "That's good," she said, "it wouldn't be any fun if I didn't have someone who actually was a threat around." She held out her hand, "may the best player win."

Rainbow nodded and shook her hand, agreeing with what she'd said.


Rainbow slowly woke up from her sleep and got up stretching out her body as the haze of her slumber vanished.

Looking over at her clock, she realised she'd overslept and was gonna be late for training with the others.

"Aw man!" Rainbow said as she got up and headed over to her closet to find something clean to wear. As she did, her eyes caught a glimpse of something on her wall which made her stop. It was an old photo of when she'd been at Soccer Camp, which showed her and the rest of her camper troop. At the front of the group was Rainbow, alongside another young girl.

"Lightning Dust," she said. Her memory flashed back to when they'd infiltrated Sombra's headquarters.

<Flashback>

"We have a score to settle."

Rainbow and Fluttershy stared up at Lightning, who was standing on one of the goalposts, in total shock at what they were seeing.

"Lightning Dust!" Rainbow almost screamed, "what are you doing here?"

"That's my business," Lightning said, "all that matters is that I'm here and now I'm ready to take my revenge on you."

"You think she joined just to beat you?" Fluttershy asked.

"Doubt it?" Rainbow said, "there's no way she could have known I'd come here."

"Right about that," Lightning replied before leaping of the goal, soaring over the two and landing in the center of the field, "just luck I suppose." She pulled out her Duel Disk and attached it to her arm, "once I get you back for what you did, I'll have nothing stopping me from being the best. So let's Duel!"

<Flashforward>

Rainbow sighed as she sat back on her bed and continued to stare at the picture.

Despite the Duel ending before a winner could be determined, Rainbow had a feeling she would have lost if it had continued. Even with Fluttershy's help, Rainbow hadn't been able to do much. Lightning had obviously been training hard since their last Duel.

Her memory then flashed back to her Duel with Shadow and how horribly that had ended. "I need to get stronger," she said.


Later that day at the Freeze Stadium.

"Orchard Sheriff attack!" Applejack ordered as her monster fired its blasters at Gem Knight Lady Brilliant Diamond, destroying it and reducing Rarity's life points to zero.

"Oh," Rarity moaned as she deactivated her Duel Disk, "I lost again."

"Sorry Rarity," Applejack said as she pushed her hat up head head, "guess a'm just in the zone today."

"Applejack's on fire," Pinkie said as she and Fluttershy watched from the corner.

"Yes," Fluttershy said, "she's been training really hard all week."

"A'h have to," Applejack said as she and Rarity stepped over to them, "a'h need to be at ma'h best if a'm wanting to take those two out."

"Flim and Flam?" Rarity asked.

"Yeap," Applejack said, "when a'h first Duelled them, it was Flash who finished them off and when we Duelled them last it wasn't looking to good. A'm gonna need to up ma'h game if a'm wanting to take them down."

"Well you won't be alone," Rarity said.

"That's right," Fluttershy said, "we'll be there with you."

"We sure will," Pinkie said, "cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye."

"Thanks ya'll," Applejack said before turning to the door, "now if only Rainbow would get here."

"She is running late isn't she," Rarity said.

Fluttershy had also noticed this and grew concerned. "Have any of you noticed lately that Rainbow's been acting a little different?"

"How so?" Applejack asked.

"I've been watching her Duel all weak and I've noticed she's been rushing through her Duels," Fluttershy said, "it's like she's trying to get the Duel over with as fast as possible."

The three thought about this for a moment, trying to think about the Duels they'd had against her the last few days. Now that Fluttershy mentioned it, Rainbow had seemed eager to summon her best cards end her Duels quickly.

"A'h guess a'h never really thought about it," Applejack said, "but isn't that just her style."

"Indeed," Rarity said, "her deck's all about summoning multiple monster at once, so she can Overlay them."

"That may be true," Fluttershy said, "but Rainbow's starting to rush her moves. She's not thinking them through like she always did. I'm worried she's grown scared."

"Scared?" Pinkie asked in confusion.

"That doesn't sound like Rainbow darling," Rarity said.

"You haven't known Rainbow as long as I have," Fluttershy said, "we've been friends since kindergarten and since then I've seen Rainbow become the person she is today. She loves a challenge and always wants to face and opponent at their best, but now it's like she's become afraid."

Fluttershy looked at the ground, as if embarrassed about talking about Rainbow behind the girl's back. However, when she felt Applejack's hand on her shoulder she looked up and into her friends eyes.

"Ya'h right," Applejack said, "no one knows Rainbow like you. If you think there's something wrong then we need to find out what it is."

"That's right," Rarity said, "we can't have one of our best Duellists at anything less then one hundred percent."

"Maybe we can throw a party to make her feel better," Pinkie said.

"I don't think that would work," Fluttershy said, "we need to find out what the problem is."

In that moment, the door opened and the person they were talking about rushed in.

"Sorry I'm late," Rainbow said, "I overslept."

"Well as long as ya'h here," Applejack said.

"Right," Rainbow said, "now who's up to Duel me first?"

She looked around at Applejack, Rarity and Pinkie, trying to decide which one to take on. However, in that moment a certain voice spoke out.

"I am!"

They all turned to Fluttershy, who had stepped up to accept Rainbow's challenge.

Rainbow raised an eyebrow at this.

"You sure?" She asked, "this ain't gonna be a for the fun of it sit down match. I'll be going all out."

"I know that," Fluttershy said, "but I'm up for it. Unless you don't think you can take me?"

Rainbow's eyebrow raised even further. "Of course I can take you. Just don't start crying when I win."

Fluttershy nodded and pulled out her Duel Disk, attaching it to her arm and began walking over to her side of the field.

"Are you sure about this?" Rarity asked as she and the other two walked with her, "you don't really like playing actual Duels."

"Maybe," Fluttershy said, "but I have to. Keep an eye one how Rainbow plays and you'll see what I was talking about. I'm gonna do everything in my power to slow her down."

"Alright sugarcube," Applejack said, "we trust you. Just be careful alright."

"I will," Fluttershy replied.

"Hey," Rainbow said, "we doing this or what?"

Fluttershy turned to Rainbow and activated her Duel Disk, forming a pink blade. "I'm ready"

"Then let's do this," Rainbow replied as she activated hers to.

"DUEL!"

Fluttershy: 4000
Rainbow: 4000

"I'll go first," Fluttershy said as she reached for her deck, "I draw and I'll start by playing a Field Spell. Hope you're ready for a trip to the Sacred Guardian Beast Sanctuary." She sent a card into the Duel Disk and suddenly the area around them began to change. The ground beneath them transformed into rock, with grass and trees appearing around them. A large waterfall was to their right, which fed a stream that flowed between the two Duellists. "Now any insect, beast and beast warrior we summon gains three hundred points," Fluttershy explained, "I now summon Kuribon in DEF mode." A version of Kuriboh appeared on the field, this one having a tail with a bow tied around it, before hopping around happily. "I place one card face down and end my turn."

"Then it's my turn," Rainbow said as she reached for her deck, "I draw." She looked at her cards and smirked, knowing this Duel wouldn't last long. "I'm gonna set the Pendulum Scale, with scale three Rainbow Wing Knight Eagle and scale eight Rainbow Wing Knight Owl." The columns of light appeared besides her and two monster flew up into them, one having armour based on Rainbow Wing Yellow Eagle. "Cut through space time and carve the arc of victory," Rainbow chanted as the portal began to form, "I PENDULUM SUMMON!"

The portal opened and two streaks of light shot out of it and struck the ground, transforming into a pair of identical monsters.

"Rainbow Wing, Blue Falcons!" (A1600/D1400/L4)X2

"Fluttershy's right," Rarity said, "Rainbow didn't even take a moment to consider her opponent's stratagy."

"She's ignoring Fluttershy's face downs," Applejack agreed.

"And now," Rainbow said as her two monsters glowed and changed into lights, before shooting into the air, "with these two monsters I build the Overlay Network." The black hole appeared below her which the lights flew into. "When birds of a feather flock together an awesome power is unleashed." The black hole exploded in a burst of light. "I XYZ SUMMON!"

The light faded, revealing Rainbow's ace. "Rainbow Assault Wing Gold!" (A2300/D1700/R4)

"I activate Assault Wing Gold's ability," Rainbow said, "to remove an Overlay and add a winged beast from my deck to my hand." Her monster used his katanna to slash through its Overlay, as Rainbow's deck shuffled and slotted out a card for her to take. "Now I'll summon it, Rainbow Wing Knight Hawk." (A1400/D800/L3/P6)

"I activate my face down," Fluttershy said as her card flipped up to reveal a Trap, "Trap Hole! With this, your monster is automatically destroyed."

As soon as the Pendulum Monster landed on the ground, it fell through a hole which suddenly appeared and sucked it up to destroy it.

"Rainbow walked right into that one," Pinkie said.

Rainbow frowned falling into Fluttershy's trap, but just shook her head and decided to keep going. "Alright, Assault Wing Gold attack!" The Xyz monster drew his sword and soared towards the furball creature, who was currently shaking in fear.

"I activate Sphere Kuriboh's ability," Fluttershy said as she discarded the card from her hand. The robotic version of Kuriboh appeared and flew over to Rainbow Assault Wing, buzzing around him and causing him to begin swatting away at it. Eventually the Xyz monster kneeled down and struck the robot, destroying it before taking a defensive stance.

"What the heck?" Rainbow asked in confusion.

"By discarding Sphere Kuriboh," Fluttershy explained, "I can cause your monster to switch to DEF mode."

Rainbow was literally growling at this, before crossing her arms and ending her turn.

"Fluttershy's sure doing a heck of a job," Applejack said, "bein able to keep Rainbow at bay like that."

"She wasn't kidding when she said she'd slow her down," Rarity said.

"But this Duels gotta end sometime," Pinkie said.

"Well hopefully Fluttershy will be able to hold on long enough for Rainbow to realise her mistake.

"It's my turn," Fluttershy said as she went to her deck, "I draw and now I'll tribute Kuribon to summon Sacred Guardian Beast, Grand Grizzly!" The furball disappeared in a flash of light, before being replaced by the four armed armoured bear. (A2300/D1800/L6) "And thanks to my Field Spell, he gains three hundred points." (A2600/D1800/L6) With two Level one monsters in my graveyard, Grand Grizzly gains a hundred points for each one." (A2800/D1800/L6) "Attack Rainbow Assault Wing Gold!" Fluttershy ordered, as her monster charged forward and slashed at Rainbow's Xyz monster.

Rainbow watched as her monster was destroyed, though since Rainbow had put it into DEF mode her life points her safe.

"I end my turn," Fluttershy said.

"Then it's my turn," Rainbow said as she drew her card. She didn't have anything in her hand so as much as she hated to, she'd have to play defensively. "Once again, I'll cut through space time and carve the arc of victory," Rainbow said as the portal began to form above head, "I PENDULUM SUMMON!"

The portal opened and a single light shot out, before transforming into a DEF position monster. "Rainbow Wing Knight Kestrel!" (A1500/D1200/L4/P5) "And since Wing Knight Kestrel was Special Summoned, I can add Rainbow Wing Red Kestrel from my deck to my hand." Her deck shuffled before slotting out a card for her to take. "Now I'll summon Red Kestrel to the field in DEF mode." The bird of prey appeared and flew around the room for a moment, before landing next to its Wing Knight counterpart. (A1500/D1200/L4) "I end my turn."

"Then it's my draw," Fluttershy said as she drew her card. She looked at it and smiled, knowing it would come in handy soon. She then looked over Rainbow's current field and thought for a moment, knowing that if she destroyed her Wing Knight, Rainbow would just resummon it and then add another Red Kestrel to her hand. Until she could destroy it, she'd focus on the none Pendulums.

"Come on already!" Rainbow said, "what's the hold up. I could have had five more Duels in the time it's taking you."

Fluttershy and the rest of their friends all frowned at this.

"Alright," Fluttershy said, "I attack your Rainbow Wing Red Kestrel!" Her Grand Grizzly charged forward, before grabbing Rainbow's monster in its lower arms before slashing at it with its higher ones. "I end my turn."

"Then it's my turn," Rainbow said as she reached for her deck, "I draw she looked at the card she'd got and frowned, before looking at her field. "It is getting annoying," she said, "I end my turn."

Fluttershy smirked at this, knowing Rainbow was so focused on trying to win that she was growing impatient. That meant she wasn't thinking properly.

"My turn," she said, "I draw and once again I'll attack your Red Kestrel with Grand Grizzly!" Once again the four armed bear thrashed at Rainbow's monster, destroying it. "I place one card face down and end my turn," Fluttershy said.

"Then I'll go," Rainbow said a smirk on her face. "Thanks for destroying my Wing Knight," she said, "because I've got what I need to win. First I'll once again cut through space time and recarve the arc of victory," she said as the portal formed, "I PENDULUM SUMMON!"

The portal opened and out of it shot Rainbow Wing Knight Kestrel, who flew around before landing infront of Rainbow. "Next I'll use his ability, which'll let me add Red Kestrel to my hand." Her deck shuffled before slotting out a card, which Rainbow took and then slapped down on her Duel Disk. The bird of prey flew onto the battle field, before flying over to Wing Knight and landing next to it. (A1500/D1200/L4)

"What's she planning?" Applejack asked.

"Why summon them in ATK mode?" Rarity asked, "Fluttershy's Grand Grizzly will easily destroy them both."

"Now I'll activate this Spell card," Rainbow said as she used the card she'd drawn last turn, "Xyz Rebirth! Now I can Xyz Summon an Xyz monster in my graveyard, as long as I have the monsters needed." The two Kestrel monsters glowed before shooting into the air and then into the black hole that appeared at Rainbow's feet. "When birds of a feather flock together an awesome power is unleashed." The black hole exploded in a burst of light. "I XYZ SUMMON!"

The light faded, revealing Rainbow's ace. "Rainbow Assault Wing Gold!" (A2300/D1700/R4)

"That card's strong sure," Applejack said, "but with Fluttershy's monster powered up, it won't stand a chance."

Pinkie nodded but Rarity'd realised Rainbow's plan.

"It will when she uses that," she said, getting their attention.

"I activate my Rainbow Wing Knight Owl's Pendulum Ability," Rainbow said as she discarded a card, "so by ditching a card from my hand I can take a certain card from my deck." Her deck shuffled, before it slotted out the a card which she took. "Now I'll activate it," she said, "Rank-Up-Magic, Rainbow Force!" Assault Wing Gold transformed into a stream of light, which flew up and into a black hole as it opened. "Let the rainbow shine its brilliant light upon you, as you take flight to a new future," she chanted as the black hole exploded. "CHAOS XYZ EVOLUTION!"

The light faded, revealing Rainbow's most powerful monster. "Rainbow Assault Wing Platinum!" (A2800/D2200/R5)

"Oh boy," Pinkie said, "Fluttershy's in trouble."

"Their monsters have the same ATK points," Rarity said.

"Not fer long," Applejack said

"Now I activate Assault Wing Platinum's ability," Rainbow said. "by removing an Overlay Unit I can reduce your monsters ATK points by seven hundred, for every Rainbow Wing or Rainbow Assault Wing in my graveyard." The Xyz monster crushed one of its Overlay Units in both hands, before extending his wings. They shone a brilliant light which spread and began to take the form of the monsters in Rainbow's graveyard.

Two Red Kestrel and two Blue Falcons flew around the Xyz monster as astral projections, before flying towards the large bear and striking it. With each strike it became weaker and weaker, until the fourth strike weakened it to its new number. (A0/D1800/L6)

"Its ATK is zero now," Pinkie said.

"Attack!" Rainbow ordered as her monster flew up and the charged toward Fluttershy's, bringing its hands together and spinning around till it was like a rainbow coloured drill. The spinning monster struck Grand Grizzly, causing the monster to roar in pain before being destroyed.

Fluttershy meanwhile was almost sent flying and barely managed to hold her ground through the force of the attack.

Fluttershy: 1200
Rainbow: 4000

"I end my turn," Rainbow said before smirking. "Told you this wouldn't be a fun Duel Fluttershy," she said, "and you better not be crying."

"I'm not," Fluttershy said as she stood tall, "I am sad though, because you've forgotten the whole point of why you Duel."

Rainbow raised an eyebrow at this, wondering what she meant by that.

"Do you remember when the thought of facing a strong opponent thrilled you?" Fluttershy asked, "because the way you've been Duelling lately makes me think you've forgotten."

"What are you talking about?" Rainbow said.

"Ever since our trip to that lab, all you seem to care about is winning as fast as possible. You used to love facing your opponents best cards, but now it's like you're so scared that you're trying to win before they can get going. That's not Rainbow Dash!"

Rainbow didn't reply to that and just stood there silently.

"I'm gonna bring the real Rainbow Dash back," Fluttershy said, "by winning this. It's my turn, I draw." She drew her card and smiled, happy at the card she'd got. "I activate my face down," Fluttershy said as one of her two face downs flipped up to reveal a Trap, "Dust Tornado!"

A small twister appeared and sucked up Rainbow's Wing Knight Eagle, before tossing it out the top and destroying it. "That takes care of your Pendulum," Fluttershy said, "now I'll summon Winged Kuriboh in DEF mode." The little furball appeared on the field, looking up at Assault Wing Platinum with determination. "I end my turn."

"That's what you want to defend yourself with against my best monster?" Rainbow asked before laughing, "nice try." She reached for her deck and drew her card, which wasn't a monster like she'd hoped. "Just have to wait until I get one," she said, "but for now. Rainbow Assault Wing Platinum, wipe out that overgrown hairball." The Xyz Monster once again brought its hands together and began to spin, creating the tornado which flew towards Winged Kuriboh.

Rainbow smirked at this, until she noticed Fluttershy's smile. "What?"

"I'm sending two card from my hand to the graveyard," Fluttershy said before her last face down flipped up, "in order to activate my Transcendent Wings!" There was a brilliant flash of light, which enveloped Winged Kuriboh and then disappeared. Once that happened, Rainbow saw the little monster wasn't so little anymore. Its wingspan was now a hundred times large and it now wore some kind of golden armouring. "With Transcendent Wings, my Winged Kuriboh has evolved into its ultimate Level ten form." (A300/D200/L10)

"NO WAY!" Rainbow screamed.

"And there's more," Fluttershy said, "by sacrificing itself, Winged Kuriboh Level Ten can destroy every ATK position monster on your field and then deal you damage equal to its ATK points."

There was a large explosion as both monsters were destroyed, while Rainbow was pushed back by the force.

Fluttershy: 1200
Rainbow: 1200

"Lucky shot," Rainbow said as she steadied herself.

"Not luck," Fluttershy said, "you just weren't paying attention to my moves or thinking yours through. The old you would have seen through it and think up a stratagy."

Rainbow realised she was right. What had see been thinking.

"And there's even more," Fluttershy said, "one of the cards I discarded was Roar of the Sacred Guardian Beasts, which activates when its sent to the graveyard. Now I can add two Sacred Guardian Beasts from my deck to my hand that have less then a thousand ATK points." Her deck slotted out two cards, which she then took.

"I end my turn," Rainbow said.

"Then it's my turn," Fluttershy said "and I'll activate my Field Spell's second effect. Instead of drawing, I can add a random Sacred Guardian Beast to my hand." Her deck slotted out a card, which she took and smiled as she looked at it. "Now it's time I set the Pendulum Scale, with scale two Sacred Guardian Beast Silk Spider and scale eight Sacred Guardian Beast Breezy Fairy!" The columns of light appeared on either side of her, as two monsters flew up into them. One was a spider with a black body and gray legs, while the other was a blue skinned fairy with pink hair wearing a black wool suit with white on the end. "Cut through space time and carve the arc of victory," Fluttershy chanted as the portal formed above her head, "I PENDULUM SUMMON!"

The portal opened and a single light shot out of it, before hitting the ground and taking shape.

Everyone watched as a giant dragon appeared infront of Fluttershy. It had mostly yellow scales with a white belly and pink spikes running down its back. Its wings were yellow with a pink membrane and it had pink hair on its head similar to Fluttershy's. "Sacred Guardian Beast, Kindness Dragonoid!" (A2600/D1900/L7/P5)

"No way," Rainbow said. Who knew Fluttershy would have such a powerful looking monster.

"It's over Rainbow Dash," Fluttershy said, "Kindness Dragonoid, attack her directly!" Her monster turned to Rainbow and opened its reptilian mouth, before taking a deep breath. "Silent Roar!" It made the motion of roaring, but no sound came out of its mouth. However, a gust of wind shot out and struck Rainbow, sending her flying back and slamming into the wall.

Fluttershy: 1200 (Winner)
Rainbow: 0

As the holographic sanctuary faded, Fluttershy rushed over to Rainbow.

"Oh dear," she said as she kneeled down besides her, "are you alright?"

Rainbow picked herself up and clutched her head. "Yeah," she said, "I'll be okay." It was in that moment that Rainbow actually processed what had just happened. "I lost," she said.

"Ya'h sure did."

They both looked up to see Applejack and the others move over to them.

"And ya'h lost because ya'h were Duelling with power alone."

"A straight forward style like that is easily countered," Rarity said, "like how Fluttershy did it."

"Dashy what's wrong?" Pinkie asked in concern, "why are you acting so differently?"

Rainbow sighed as she leaned back against the wall. "I need to be stronger," Rainbow said, "I barely beat Lightning Dust the first time I beat her and in our last Duel it wasn't going much better. This is war and if we want to win, we have to be strong."

The four girls finally realised what was going on with her. She didn't want to let them down by losing.

"It's alright Rainbow," Fluttershy said as she placed her hand on the girls shoulder, "you won't lose to her."

"That's right," Pinkie said, "there's no way a super awesome Duellist like you lose to someone like her."

"But Duelling like this ain't gonna win against her," Applejack said.

"I agree darling," Rarity said, "if you want to be victorious against her, you can't match power with power."

"I can't?" Rainbow asked.

"No," Rarity said, shaking her head. "So you can't beat her physically, then you need to beat her mentally."

"You mean?"

"Out think her," Fluttershy finished, "the way I outsmarted you. Take her by surprise and throw her off, then win."

"Ya'h need to be careful," Applejack said, "think about the Duel from every angle."

"It's only then you'll win," Rarity said.

This info flowed through Rainbow's head, making a ton of sense. "How could I not think of that."

"Because sometimes we let our fears get the best of us and don't think clearly," Fluttershy said before smiling, "I should know."

They all chuckled at that.

"Thanks guys," Rainbow said as she picked herself up. "You're right, I can't keep Duelling like this. I need to start Duelling like me again."

"That's the spirit," Applejack said.

Rainbow smiled before turning to Fluttershy. "Think we can Duel again? I promise I won't fall for that move again."

Fluttershy smiled and nodded, before they went back over to their spots to start a new Duel.

Everyone wants to be the best, but everyone is different. Power or stratagy alone isn't enough to win every match. It's only when you learn to be adaptable that you can be a true Duellist.

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoyed Fluttershy's badass moment. I think I was channelling Persona EG Fluttershy for it.

There's one more character chapter before we get the major plot going again

PreviousChapters Next