• Published 8th Jul 2017
  • 4,453 Views, 663 Comments

Yugioh EQG: Shadow Gates - Banshee531



The Celestic Cup Finals have arrived. Who will take the crown and what mysterious ploys are being plotted in the shadows? Only time will tell.

  • ...
3
 663
 4,453

PreviousChapters Next
Turn 17, Photo Finished

Celestia: It's time for the final match of the Celestic Cup Finals second round.

Luna: Our final two Duelists will face off against each other in to take the final spot in round three.

Celestia: Let's welcome them onto the field. First we have the photography phenomenon, Photo Finish!

A girl with blue skin and white hair stepped onto the field. She wore a black and white dress with purple trim and a purple ascot around her neck, along with a pair of black glasses with purple glass. As she stepped towards the referee, she walk with a certain flare that the group had only ever seen Rarity use.

"You know what I just realised," Applebloom said, "I don't remember her Duel style."

"Me neither," Scootaloo said, "weird."

"She didn't really leave much of an impact during her last Duel did she?" Flash asked.

"Probably just saving her best moves for later."

They all turned to see Twilight had returned to the seats, making them all smile.

"Twilight your Duel was amazing," Spike said, "that new Synchro Monster you summoned is so awesome."

"Thanks," Twilight said, "you can thank Cold for designing it. Though it does have it's draw backs since I need to use Twilight Unicorn as a tuning material."

"Well it's still a great card," Flash said.

Twilight blushed as she sat down next to him, returning their attention to the field.

Luna: And her opponent. The alluring songstress herself, Adagio Dazzling.

Adagio stepped onto the field, looking smug as she waved to the crowd as she obviously enjoyed the attention.


Up in the box, Cold sat quietly as he watched Adagio.

He needed to stay focused. In order to figure out a way to defeat her, they needed to learn everything about her and her deck. He hated the idea of putting competitors at risk, but it needed to be done. A small flicker of hope burned in his chest at the thought of Ms Finish maybe defeating her, but he had no room for hope. He needed a carefully coordinated stratagy.


Adagio stepped up to where Photo and the ref were standing. She looked over at her opponent and smiled.

"So you're the great Photo Finish," she said, "I've seen your work in my favourite fashion magazine. A little to much lighting if you ask me."

"And you are the devious Adagio Dazzle," Photo replied, in a rather thick Prench accent. "I saw what you did to Ms Rarity. She and I are quite close, so what you did to her will not be forgiven."

"Oh go cry my a river," Adagio said, "are we gonna Duel or just stand here trading treats?"

"WE DUEL!" Photo said as she took out a black Duel Disk and attached it to her arm, before a white blade appeared.

"Wee wee," Adagio said as she attached her own.

The ref did the coin flip and the result had Adagio going first.

Celestia: With that out of the way, let's see which Duel Field our competitors will be Duelling on.

She raised her remote and clicked the button, causing the floor to light up as it formed the Duel Field.

"AUGMENTED REALITY COMBAT SYSTEM ENERGISED."

In the blink of an eye, Adagio and Photo found themselves in a large green meadow filled with cameras on tripods.

Luna: Photo Plains

"Magnifique," Photo said as she looked around.

"It's okay I guess," Adagio said with a shrugged.


"Hopefully this field will give Photo an advantage," Twilight said.

"Maybe," Flash said, "but against that Dark Siren, we can't be sure."

Everyone's minds flashed back to when Adagio add Duelled Rarity, causing them to shudder.

"Let's just hope Ms Finish can pull it off," Applejack said before turning to stare at Photo. "But something about her seems familiar."

"You mean you've met her?" Spike asked.

"No," Applejack replied, "but I've heard that name before. But where?"


Celestia: Let's get this Duel on the way. In three!

Luna: TWO!

Both: ONE!

"DUEL!"

Adagio: 4000
Photo: 4000

"ACTION CARDS DISPERSED!"

"Since I'm taking the first move," Adagio said as she went to her deck, "I draw. I summon Melody Mistress in DEF mode." Her monster appeared, before taking a defensive stance on the field. (A800/D2000/L4) "I end my turn with a face down."

"I go!" Photo said as she drew her card, "Photo Finish summons Cameraclops in ATK mode." In a flash of light a humanoid monster with a camera for a head appeared. (A1400/D1600/L4)

"Nice monster," Adagio said, "but it won't do a thing against my Melody Mistress."

"It will when Photo Finish equips her Cameraclops with the Spell, Telescopic Lens." Suddenly a large telescope appeared with a tripod, which attached to Cameraclop's camera lens. "This piece of equipment grants Photo Finish's monster four hundred ATK points for every card in Photo Finish's hand. Photo Finish holds four cards, meaning her monster gains sixteen hundred ATK points. (A3000/D1600/L4) "Now Photo Finish attacks." Her monster aimed its camera lens at Adagio's monster, before taking a snap shot as a laser fired from the lens.

"I activate my face down," Adagio said as her card flipped up, "Sound Barrier! Now my Mistress can't be destroyed by battle." A force field dome appeared around her monster, blocking the laser from hitting Melody Mistress.

"I think not," Photo said, "when Cameraclops attacks a monster whose DEF points are higher then their ATK points, it is destroyed without battle." The laser began to pierce the shield, like a hot knife through butter, causing it to fly through and strike Melody Mistress who was destroyed. "Photo Finish ends her turn with a face down, while Cameraclop's ATK lowers by four hundred." (A2600/D1600/L4)

Celestia: The first two turns have come and passed and it seems Photo Finish has taken the lead.

Luna: One can only wonder whether her opponent can push back.


"It's a good start," Twilight said, "if Photo summons a monster with high original ATK points, she runs the risk of Adagio taking control of it. But if she summons monsters with basic ATK points and uses card effects to power them up, even if Adagio takes them they won't be to dangerous."

"Let's just hope she can end this before Adagio pulls something big out," Flash said

"We can only hope," Applejack said.


"It's my turn," Adagio said as she went to her deck, "I draw and summon Alluring Diva in ATK mode." In a splash of water, a mermaid with a yellow tail appeared on the field. (A1800/D1400/L4)

"Against Photo Finish's Cameraclops, that card won't even smudge his lens."

"That's where you're wrong," Adagio said, "because on the turn my Diva's normal summoned I can negate the effects of all Spell and Traps on the field." The mermaid let out a beautiful sound, which caused Telescopic Lens and Photo's face down the spark as they were depowered. Cameraclops began to struggle holding the lens connected to it, as it lost its power up. (A1400/D1600/L4)

Celestia: Impressive move. Adagio managed to reduce her opponent's monster back down to its base level.

"Now Alluring Diva will attack your Cameraclops," Adagio said, "and I wouldn't bother rushing for an Action Card, since they're negated also." Alluring Diva unleashed another sound wave from her mouth, which struck Photo's monster and destroyed it.

Adagio: 4000
Photo: 3600

"I end my turn there," Adagio said as her monster swam around her.

"Photo Finish draws," Photo said, "and next she activates her face down Camera Repair. Now Photo Finish can repair and revive one of her monsters, so now Cameraclops returns to the field." A portal opened up in the floor, which her monster leapt out of and stood infront of her. "Now Photo Finish will tribute Cameraclops to summon Cameradile to the field in ATK mode." Cameraclops disappeared in a flash of light and in its place came a large brown crocodile with cameras for eyes. (A2100/D1200/L6) "Now Cameradile attack!"

The monster charged towards Alluring Diva, fangs bared.

Adagio leapt into action, rushing through the field as her monsters impending doom drew closer. Suddenly she saw an Action Card and leapt for it, doing a cartwheel as she grabbed it before spinning back round and landing on her feet. "I activate the Action Spell Lens Cap, which protects my monster though I'll still take the damage."

The crocodile monster leapt at the fish woman monster and caught it in its jaws, though she wasn't destroyed she did shot considerable pain before she was let go.

Adagio: 3700
Photo: 3600

"Well when Cameradile deals you damage, it's ability activates and deals you a hundred more points for every card you have on hand." Lasers shot out of her monsters camera eyes and struck Adagio's hand, before flying through the cards and hitting her.

Adagio: 3300
Photo: 3600

"Photo Finish ends her turn by playing one face down."

"Then it's my turn," Adagio said as she drew. She saw the card she's gotten and smiled a dark smile.


"I don't like that looks she's giving off," Spike said in a concerned voice.

"Does she have it?" Twilight asked.

"We'll see," Flash said.


"I activate the Spell card Corrupted Melody," Adagio said as she placed the card in her Duel Disk. "Now by sending a copy of Alluring Siren from my deck to the graveyard, I can add a copy of Dark Siren and Dark Melody Ritual to my hand. Her deck shuffled around before it slotted out two cards which she took and placed in her hand. "Next I'll activate my Dark Melody Ritual Spell!" Suddenly the tornado of black water shot out of the ground like a geyser, before engulfing her monster.

Everyone prepared themselves for what was about to come.

"With Alluring Siren in my graveyard, I tribute now the Alluring Diva on my field along with the Alluring Melodist in my hand." She took a card out her hand and placed it in her graveyard, as the monster she had just mentioned appeared on the field and was then sucked into the tornado. "Now I can summon my most powerful creature," Adagio said as the jewel around her next glowed while the tornado exploded. "I RITUAL SUMMON!"

The last of the water disappeared, revealing Adagio's monster. "Dark Siren!" (A1000/D1000/L8)

Luna: There it is. The monster that won Ms Dazzle her place here today. Can Ms Finish overcome it, or will this Duel turn out like Adagio's Duel against Rarity?

"I activate Dark Siren's special ability," Adagio said as her monster unleashed sludgy black tendrils from its stomach, which struck Cameradile and wrapped around it. It coiled around the monster's mouth, tails and legs, before retracting them and pulling the monster towards it. "You know the drill," Adagio said, "my monster will absorb yours and equip it to itself, increasing Dark Siren's power by that of your monsters."

Cameradile struggled, but couldn't break free and was soon pulled into Dark Siren's stomach and began to sink into the sludge. Eventually Photo's monster was completely absorbed into Dark Siren, who then transformed into a ball of sludge. Seconds later the sludge reshaped until it was now the spitting image of Cameradile. (A3100/D2200/L8)

Celestia: There we have it. Adagio has captured Photo's monster and is now using its power against her.

Luna: Ms Finish will be in trouble is she can't find a way to overcome this power.


"This is bad," Twilight said, "with that monster Adagio's gonna be able to control the battle field however she wants to."

"Well maybe Photo prepared something for this," Spike said, "she might be hidding something really big in her deck and was waiting for this moment to crank it out."

"I hope so," Flash said, "or Photo might be joining Rarity in the medical bay."


"Now Dark Siren," Adagio ordered her monster, "attack that overrated camera clicker!" The sludge monster charged at Photo, brandishing its large jaws as it drew closer.

"Photo Finish activates her face down card," the girl called out as he card flipped up to reveal a Trap. "Photo Flash! This card negates your attack and ends your battle phase." A large camera appeared between Photo and Dark Siren, before taking a picture and causing a massive flash which blinds Dark Siren and causing it to miss Photo, sailing passed her and returning infront of its master,

Adagio growled at her move being deflected. "I end my turn," she said.

Celestia: A lucky face down saved Ms Finish from taking heavy damage, but what will she do on her turn.

"I draw," Photo said as she looked at the card she'd drawn. "Photo Finish summons Scandal Snapper in DEF mode." A bright flash of a monster that appeared to be a motorcycle with a upper half of a man in place of its handle bars appeared, a camera in its hand. (A700/D2000/L4) "She will now end her turn."

"Then I'll go," Adagio said as she drew her card, "and I'll activate the Spell card Pot of Greed. Now I can draw two new cards, before I summon Alluring Vocalist." In a splash of water, the blue tailed mermaid appeared on Adagio's side of the field before swimming up close to Dark Siren. (A1000/D1000/L3) "Now I'll attack your Scandal Snapper with Dark Siren." Once again the sludge monster charged forward, snapping its jaws at the bike man hybrid.

Photo turned towards her monster and leapt on its seat, placing her hands on its hips as it revved its engine and began to race through the field and away from Dark Siren.

"You can run," Adagio called out as she and her monster made chase, "but you can't escape."

"Photo Finish does not run," Photo said, "she is on the look out for the thing to save her." Suddenly she saw what she was looking for and turned her monster towards the direction she was looking, before leaning down and snatching up and Action Card.

As Dark Siren snapped its jaws at Scandal Snapper, Photo placed the card she'd grabbed into her Duel Disk. "Photo Finish activates the Action Spell Evasion," she said as her monster's front wheel dug into the ground and caused the whole bike to do a donut spin, causing Dark Siren to miss as it attacked. "Your attack missed," Photo said, "and even with your Vocalist's ability, it won't be able to damage my Snapper."

Adagio glared as she acknowledged her opponent was right. "I end my turn with a face down."

Celestia: Once again Photo Finish was able to defend against her opponent's attack.

Luna: But if she wants to win this Duel she'll need to stop being defensive and go on the offence.


"Yeah but can she?" Flash said, "does she have a monster that can help her do that?"

"If she does she'd better bring it out soon," Spike said.

"Or she'll be in major trouble," Scootaloo said.


"I draw," Photo said as she drew her card. Seeing what it was she smiled and nodded, before turning back to Adagio. "Photo Finish activates the Spell Print Out," she said, "to do so she must first banish a Level four or lower monster from her graveyard." She removed Cameraclops from her Duel Disk and placed it in her pocket. "Now Photo Finish may draw one card for every three hundred ATK points that card had," she explained.

"Your Cameraclops had fourteen hundred points," Adagio said doing the math, "and three hundred goes into that four times."

"That is correct," Photo said as she drew four card, "and now Photo Finish has everything she needs to summon the monster of your defeat."

Adagio glared at that claim.

"First she will set the Pendulum Scale with scale one Rhinograph and scale seven Frographer." Photo slapped the cards on her Duel Disk, which lit up as the columns of light appeared on either side of her. Two monster flew up and into the columns. The first being a rhino with camera lens for eyes, while the other was a green frog carrying a camera. Once the two monster where high enough, they stopped and numbers appeared beneath them. They then looked at the spot directly above Photo, before beams of light shot out of the lens of their eyes or camera and met in the sky to create the portal. "PHOTO FINISH PENDULUM SUMMON!"

The portal opened and two beams of light shot out, striking the ground and taking form.

The first was a pair of binoculars with insect wings. "Paparazzi Pest!" (A1000/D0/L2)

The second was a man in military clothing, carrying a sniper riffle with a camera on the scope. "Snap Shot Sniper!" (A2300/D1900/L6)

"What are they suppose to do?" Adagio asked, "none of them can damage my monster."

"Patience," Photo said, "Photo Finish is not done. Next she will activate Paparazzi Pest's ability. By tributing it, Scandal Snapper's Level will increase by two for this turn." The binocular monster turned toward the bike man hybrid, before disappearing as Scandal Snapper glowed. (A700/D2000/L6)

"Two level six monsters," Adagio said. She knew what this meant. She knew what was coming.

"And now," she said, "Photo Finish will Overlay Level six Scandal Snapper and Snap Shot Sniper." Her monsters glowed before shooting into the air and then into a black hole, which opened at her feet.


"An Xyz Summon," Twilight said.

Seeing this Applejack's eyes went wide, as a memory flashed through her brain. "A'h remember now!"


"Now watch has Photo Finish creates the ultimate piece of photography equipment," she said as the black hole exploded. "PHOTO FINISH XYZ SUMMON!"

The light faded revealing Photo's new monster. Said monster was a gigantic purple camera, with a long black lens and several mechanical arms. On the front, below the lens, were a bunch of shapes which to the form of a two and a five. Two yellow lights floated around it. "Number 25: Force Focus!" (A2800/D2400/R6)

Everyone watched in wonder at the sight of this monster, amazed that they were seeing it.


"I don't believe it," Twilight said in amazement, "a Number Card."

"I can't believe I'm seeing one," Spike said.

"Anybody wanna explain what a Number Card is," Flash said.

"Several years ago there was a world wide competition," Applejack explained. "When Xyz Summoning was just getting off the ground, the creators made a special contest for Duellists to design their own Xyz monsters."

"Only one hundred Duellists would be selected," Twilight said, "and the ones who won would have their designs made into real life one of a kind cards. Each would be given a number designation and were known as Number Cards."

"So," Flash said, "what you're saying is Photo must have won the contest and got her card made."

"It seems like it," Twilight said.

"That's where her name seemed familiar," Applejack said, "I read it when the winners were released. I entered that contest, so I wanted to know who beat me."

"So do you think this Number Card can beat Dark Siren?" Scootaloo asked.

"Let's hope."


"And now Photo Finish will attack Dark Siren with Number 25: Force Focus," Photo said as her monster pointed its lens at the Ritual Monster before it lit up.

Celestia: If this attack works, Adagio's best monster will be destroyed.

"Yeah," Adagio said to herself, "if it works. But it won't. I have to much riding on this to lose here."

<Flashback>

It was a cold winter night and Adagio had just arrived at her home, if you could call it that. It was a bridge, well the underside of the bridge, where cars were driving over. She stepped under the bridge and saw two people sitting next to a fire.

Aria Blaze and Sonata Dusk shivered as they tried to stay warm. When they saw Adagio get closer, Sonata smiled while Aria remained stoic.

"Hey," Sonata said, "Find anything?"

Adagio indicated to the bundle of cloth she was carrying, which see threw into their laps. "Couple of old bed sheets," she said, "not very thick but they should make us a little warmer."

"That's good," Sonata said, "I found some more paper for instillation." She pulled some newspapers out of her raggy hoodie, which she passed to Adagio.

"Good," she replied as she took them before turning to Aria.

"I found us a can of hotdogs," she said as she indicated to the meat impaled by sticks over the fire, "a few days out of date but it'll be fine."

Adagio nodded and took her seat between the two, as they all bundled up under the bed sheets. They eat the hotdogs and stayed together to conserve heat, while the snow continued to blow.

"Adagio," Sonata asked.

"What is it?" Adagio replied.

"We're gonna stay together right?" She asked, "no matter what we'll always be together right?"

"Sure we will," Adagio replied, not really listening, "you guys wouldn't survive without me."

Sonata giggled as Aria simply rolled her eyes, but Adagio saw the smile on her lips.

"Promise?" Sonata asked.

"Promise," Adagio replied.

<Flashforward>

"I can't lose," Adagio said as she looked up at the giant camera, "never. This is the only way to keep my promise."

"Force Focus fire!" Photo screamed as her monster fire a laser out of its lens.

"I activate my Dark Siren's special ability!" Adagio screamed, "by tributing the monster equipped to it I can negate your monster's attack."


"She can what?" Spike asked in horror, "no fair."

"At least her monster won't be as powerful," Scootaloo said.

"Yeah but next turn she can just absorb Force Focus," Flash said.


"Photo Finish activate's Number 25's ability," Photo said, "by removing one Overlay Unit she can negate your monsters ability."

"It would," Adagio said, "if not for my Trap." Her face down flipped up to reveal, "Overlay Blast! With this I can select an Xyz Monster and remove all its Overlay Units, while dealing the opponent of the Xyz Monster's owner five hundred points for each one."

"But that means you'll take damage?" Photo said.

"Small price to pay," Adagio said, "I knew all about your Number Card and that's why I put this card in may deck to be ready." Her Trap glowed and suddenly Force Focus's Overlay Units flew off the Xyz monster and into it, before it unleashed a powerful light which struck Adagio who cried out.

Adagio: 2300
Photo: 3600

"And since your Xyz Monster has no Overlay Units," Adagio groaned, "it can't use it's special ability, meaning my monsters special ability is back in action." Dark Siren reverted back it the sphere of ooze before shooting Cameradile out, still wrapped in the sludge tendrils. It threw the monster back towards the laser beam, causing it to block the attack before being destroyed.

Luna: Unbelievable. Photo Finish was so close to defeating Adagio's best monster, but in the end she just couldn't do it.

Photo couldn't believe her best monster had been stopped in its tracks. "Photo Finish ends her turn," she said in a defeated groan.

"Then it's my turn," Adagio said as she went to her deck, "I draw and activate Dark Siren's ability." Once again monster unleashed its sludgy black tendrils from its stomach, which struck Force Focus and wrapped around it. It coiled around the monster's lens and arms, before retracting them and pulling the giant camera towards it.

"No," Photo said in horror.

The Xyz Monster was eventually pulled inside Dark Siren's stomach. Eventually Photo's monster was completely absorbed into Dark Siren, who then transformed into a ball of sludge. Seconds later the sludge reshaped until it was now the spitting image of Number 25. (A3800/3400/L8)

"Please no," Photo said.

"Say cheese," she said before screaming at the top of her lungs, "ATTACK!" Her monster pointed its lens at Photo and fired, but instead of unleashing a laser it instead shot out a torrent of water.

Photo watched as the spiral of water struck her, sending her flying as the tornado of sludge bombarded her. "AAAAARRRRR!" she screamed in pain from the attack.

Adagio: 2300 (Winner)
Photo: 0

Celestia: That's it, Adagio has defeated Photo Finish and will be moving onto the next round.

Luna: With that our day of Duelling comes to an end. Tomorrow day four will have the third round, with only four Duellists moving on. Until then, good day.

As they watched Photo being lifted away, Flash and the others couldn't help but sigh in defeat.

"I can't believe she's won again," Scootaloo said.

"It's not all bad," Flash told his sister, "at least we know more about her monster's abilities."

"Yeah," Applejack said, "meaning we'll be able to beat it when we face it."

"but that could be sooner then we think," Twilight said, "there's a good possibility I'll be facing either her or Shadow tomorrow."

"With any luck they'll end up facing each other," Spike said.

"But we can't relay on that," Twilight replied, "we need to come up with a stratagy against them by tomorrow."

"If we can," Flash said.


Adagio was walking through the corridors, having left as soon as her match had ended, on her way to meet up with Shadow to return to base.

"Soon sisters," Adagio whispered, "I'll have you back besides me. I made a promise and I won't break it."

With that she continued down the corridor, prepared for whatever the world threw at her.

Author's Note:

Hope you liked Adagio's character in this. When I first planned this story, I was planning on having the Dazzlings be selfish and Adagio only wanting to win to keep what happened to her sister from happening to her. However I've since grown to really like the Dazzlings, Persona EG helped with that, and wanted Adagio to have a more realistic goal.

Next Time: A duel people have been asking for since my first story.

PreviousChapters Next