• Published 8th Jul 2017
  • 4,451 Views, 663 Comments

Yugioh EQG: Shadow Gates - Banshee531



The Celestic Cup Finals have arrived. Who will take the crown and what mysterious ploys are being plotted in the shadows? Only time will tell.

  • ...
3
 663
 4,451

PreviousChapters Next
Turn 16, Melody of Pain

We find our heroes in the medical bay, where Time Turner was resting in his own bed. After his Duel against Shadow, the medical team had brought him to the stadium's hospital for check ups. Now he had been declared out of the woods, his friends had been allowed into his room.

When they had arrived they'd found Time in bed, with Derpy sitting next to him. His right arm and left leg were both in casts, being held above him by a sling

"How you doing Time?" Flash asked once they'd stepped in.

"I'm fine," Time said, "a little banged up but I'll live."

"Yer more then a little banged up," Applejack said as she poked his cast, "this is a serious injury."

"I'll be fine," Time said, "I've survived worse."

"Really?" Flash asked.

"When you live as long as I have," he said, "you tend to go through events."

"How old are you?" Applebloom asked.

"That doesn't matter," Time replied.

"Well anyway," Applejack said, "great work out there."

"That was awesome how close you managed to make it," Scootaloo said, "that Fusion Monster you used was amazing."

"Thank you my dear," Time replied before frowning, "but it wasn't enough. Shadow managed to wipe me out in the end."

"At least we know what to expect from him," Flash said, "in order to beat him he need to be careful using Fusion, Xyz and possibly Synchro monsters."

"Well I'm glad I could be of help," Time said, "but knowing his Duel style doesn't guarantee you'll find a way to beat him. You'll have to be careful when you face him."

"I know," Flash said, "but to face him we're gonna have to get to the finals. Assuming he'll even get there."

"Yeah," Spike said, "Twilight could totally take him down."

"Where is Twilight anyway?" Derpy spoke up as she looked around, "I'd have thought she'd want to come see how Time is."

Like she'd said, Twilight was the only one of the group who wasn't there.

"We told her to stay at the stadium," Applejack replied, "she still hasn't competed today so we didn't want her to be late."

"I understand," Time said, "I know she would have been wishing me a speedy recovery."


Twilight was sitting on her own, waiting for the next Duel which might involve her.

She was currently watching a Duel between Micro Chips and Teddy, which was taking place on the Action Field Cyber Stadium which was a big metallic football stadium.

Right now Twilight was only half watching. She was to focused on Shadow and Adagio, thinking over both their Duel styles. If Shadow had a Synchro Bot like how he had those other two bots, then Twilight would be in trouble against him. Then there was Adagio's Dark Siren, who could steal her monsters. How was she suppose to defeat them?

Suddenly an explosion occurred on the field, focusing her attention back on the Duel.

It appeared that Micro had defeated Teddy and would be moving on.

Celestia: With that the second match of the B Block tournament comes to an end. Micro Chips will be moving on to round three.

Luna: Now let's see who'll be in the third match of the tournament.

She pressed the button on her remote, causing the megascreen to activate and show the images. Said images flipped around and began spinning around, until one of them flipped out revealing the Duellist.

Celestia: Our first Duellist is Octavia Melody.

The second image flipped out.

Luna: And her opponent will be Twilight Sparkle. Both Duellists head down to the field.

Twilight nodded as she got up and headed towards the arena.


"We'd better head back to the field," Flash said before turning to Time Turner. "Get better soon."

"I will," Time said you just focus on the tournament.

They all nodded and left the room.


"Nervous Shining?" Chrysalis asked.

"No," Shining said, "my sister's a great Duellist. This Octavia woman won't find her easy to beat."

"If you say so," Chrysalis said.

Despite what he'd just said, Shining was worried. He knew his sister and she was most likely worried about Shadow and Adagio to focus on her match.

Seeing her husband's concern, Cadance placed her hand on his and gave him a reassuring smile. "She'll be fine."

Shining smiled back and nodded.


Meanwhile Adagio and Shadow were up in the stands.

"So it's little miss bookworms turn," Adagio said before snarling, "I hope she loses."

"What's she ever done to you?" Shadow asked.

"I just don't like her," Adagio said, "the reasons are my business."

"You're just scared cause you think she can beat you," Shadow replied.

"I am not!" Adagio almost screamed. With that she turned back to the field in a huff.


When Flash and the rest of the group arrived in the stands, they couldn't find Twilight anywhere. They'd hoped to catch her before she went to her Duel to wish he luck, but it seems they'd missed her.

Celestia: Let's welcome are two Duelists onto the field. In this corner we have Spellcaster master, Twilight Sparkle!

Twilight stepped onto the field, a look of concern on her face.

"Go get them Twilight," Spike said.

"Is it me," Applebloom said, "or does she look a little down."

"I think you're right," Scootaloo said, "what's up with her?"

"No idea," Flash said, "but she'll need to focus if she wants to win."

Luna: And her opponent. The musical maestro herself, Octavia Melody!

A girl with gray skin, black hair and wearing a very formal almost suit like attire came out onto the field.


The two arrived at the centre, where the ref was waiting, and Octavia smiled.

"A pleasure to meet you Ms Sparkle," she said, "I hoped I'd get to face you."

"Oh," Twilight said a little surprised, "well I hope we get to have a good Duel."

"Indeed," Octavia said as she pulled out a gray Duel Disk and attached it to her arm.

Twilight did the same with hers.

The ref flipped the coin and the outcome had Octavia making the first move.

Celestia: With that out of the way, let's see which field our competitors will Duel on.

She pressed the button on her remote and in that second the floor glowed as it formed the Duel Field.

"AUGMENTED REALITY COMBAT SYSTEM ENERGISED."

In the blink of an eye, Twilight and Octavia found themselves in an Action Field Twilight and her friends recognised. It a giant room filled will massive instruments.

"Wait," Flash said, "that's..."

Luna: Giant's Orchestra.

"That's the Action Field Flash Duelled Lyra on in the Micro Tournament," Pinkie said,

"This is good right?" Spike said, "Twilight's seen this field before so she knows what to expect."

"Maybe," Applejack replied, "but we can't be sure. This field looks more Octavia's speed then Twilight's, so she'll feel more at home on it."

"Let's just hope Twilight can stay focused," Flash said.


Celestia: Let's get this Duel on the way. In three!

Luna: TWO!

Both: ONE!

"DUEL!"

Twilight: 4000
Octavia: 4000

"ACTION CARDS DISPERSED"

"I'll take the first move," Octavia said as she went to her deck, "I draw. I summon Solo Cellist in ATK mode." A man in a suit and bow tie appeared, in his hands was a large cello. (A1000/D1300/L4) "I end my turn with two face downs."

"It's my turn," Twilight said, "I draw and I'll start by using scale two Magi-Beast Midnight Owl and scale six Magi-Beast Mystic Dracokid, to set the Pendulum Scale." She slapped the card down on the Duel Disk, as the columns of light appeared and the two monsters flew up into it. "Cut through space time and carve the arc of victory," she said as the portal formed above her head. "I PENDULUM SUMMON!"

The portal opened and two beams of light shot out and struck the ground.

"Silent Magician LV4!" (A1000/D1000/L4)

"Ventus Charmer!" (A1000/D1000/L3)

"Impressive move," Octavia said, "but both your monsters have the same ATK points as mine. What's the plan, gonna sacrifice one to destroy him and then attack with the other?"

"No," Twilight said, "I'm going to tune one to the other." Ventus Charmer flew into the air and waved its wand before turning into three balls of light, which Silent Magician leaped into. "When two mighty magicians unite their magical power an amazing event will occur." In that moment her monsters disappeared in an explosion of light, "I SYNCHRO SUMMON."

The light faded revealing Twilight's ace. "Twilight Sorcerer!" (A2100/D2800/L7)

Octavia smiled seeing Twilight's best card.

"I activate Twilight Sorcerer's special ability," Twilight said as her deck began to shuffle before slotting out a card, which she took and added to her hand. "Now I'll use that card," she said, "Spellbook of Power! Now I can increase my Sorcerer's ATK points by one thousand. (A3100/D2800/L7) "What's more my Sorcerer also gains one hundred ATK points for ever Spellbook in my graveyard. (A3200/D2800/L7)

Celestia: Impressive. Her first turn and Twilight managed to call upon her ace monster.

Luna: Octavia will have a tough time against that."

"Now attack!" Twilight ordered, as her magician raised his staff and fired a burst of magical energy at Octavia's monster.

"I activate my Trap," Octavia said as one of her face down's flipped up, "Defensive Symphony In C Major! With this my Cellist can switch into DEF position." Her monster kneeled down, hidding behind his cello.

"That won't save him," Twilight said.

"Maybe not," Octavia said, "but when he switches positions his ability activates. Now you have to discard the top three cards of your deck."

Twilight frowned but did so. A second later Octavia's monster was blasted by Twilight's destroying it.


"Alright," Spike said, "Twilight's got the lead. She can use this momentum to push through to a victory."

"Don't be so sure."

They all looked around and saw Vinyl Scratch standing next to the seats.

"Octavia's only getting started," she said.

"Hey Vinyl," Applejack said, "I didn't know you knew Octavia."

"We've been friends since childhood," Vinyl replied, "and we learned to Duel together."

"Hard to believe," Flash said, "after seeing how different you two are."

"So you're saying you're similar to your friends," Vinyl replied with a smirk.

Flash just smiled. "Guess you're right."

Vinyl sat down next to them. "Like I said, Octavia is only starting. Your friend better not let her guard down."


"Now I activate my Spellbook of Power's second ability," Twilight said, "since Twilight Sorcerer destroyed a monster, I can add another Spellbook to my hand." Her deck once again shuffled before slotting out a card she took.

"Well I activate my face down," Octavia said as her last card flipped up, "Card Guard! Now whenever I have to discard from my hand or deck, you have to do so instead."

Twilight frowned at this. What was she planning?

"Plus this is a Continuous Trap," Octavia explained, "so it'll be staying put for a while."

"Well I end my turn with a face down," Twilight said, "Twilight Sorcerer's ATK reverts to normal, but with a Spellbook in the grave he's still a hundred points stronger." (A2200/D2800/L7)

"Then it's my turn," Octavia said as she drew her card. She then kicked into action, running towards a double bass and pulling an Action Card from out of the strings. Looking at the card she smiled. "Perfect," she said, "I activate the Action Spell Summoner's Flute. Now I can draw a card and if it's a monster, I can summon it to the field." She drew her card and her smile grew larger, "I got Player of the Double Bass which I'll play in ATK mode." Another man in a suit appeared, carrying a large instrument in his hands. "Now I'll sacrifice him," she said as her monster disappeared in a flash of light, "and thanks to his ability he counts as two monsters, so now I can summon..."

The light faded, revealing a woman in a suit and bow tie. In her hands was a large cello that looked like it was made of solid gold, along with a solid gold bow. "Orchestral Mistress, Melody Maker!" (A1000/D3000/L8)


"Not very powerful is it?" Scootaloo said, "that thing can't beat Twilight's Sorcerer."

"Well she played it in DEF mode," Spike said, "is she hoping to hold out until she can get something better?"

"No way little man," Vinyl said, "Octavia's a lover not a fighter. She prefers less...brutish ways of Dueling."

"What do you mean?" Flash asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Octavia's style doesn't include attacking," Vinyl replied, "just watch."


"Now I activate Melody Maker's ability," Octavia said, "by discarding the top five cards of my deck, I can destroy one monster on the field."

Twilight's eyes went wide, realising what her plan was.

"And thanks to the effect of Card Guard," Octavia continued, "you're now the one forced to discard cards."

Twilight's frowned as she took the cards off her deck and sending them to the graveyard.

The cellist started playing her golden instrument. As the bow strings touched the cello strings, they let out a powerful sound way which struck Twilight Sorcerer. The Spellcaster placed his hands over his ears and cried out in pain, before he exploded.

"Next I'll activate this Spell," Octavia said, "Bottomless Graveyard." Now by discarding a card I can take a monster in your graveyard and banish it."

Twilight growled. With Card Guard she was forced to discard a card.

"Now banish Twilight Sorcerer," Octavia said.

Luna: Twilight Sparkle's best card is removed from play. How will Twilight manage to fight back now?

Celestia: Only time will tell.


"See what I mean," Vinyl said.

"This is bad," Flash said, "at this rate Twilight's gonna run out of cards."

"And that's her plan," Applejack said, "she's trying to deck out Twilight."

"If she's out of cards the next time she has to draw," Spike caught on, "she'll lose."

"That's Octavia's speciality," Vinyl said, "taking away her opponents cards and limiting their options."

"What's worse is without Twilight Sorcerer," Flash said, "she can't summon Imperial Magician of Twilight."


"It seems your sister finds herself in a tough spot," Chrysalis said, "she's lost her best monster and her deck is rapidly decreasing."

"That doesn't matter," Shining replied, "what matters is my sister's still got a chance to win this. All she needs to do is get rid of that Orchestral Mistress."

"If she can," Chrysalis said.


"Lucky for you, my monster can't attack after using her ability," Octavia said. "I end my turn."

"Then it's my turn," Twilight said, "I draw." She looked around and saw an Action Card in an accordion, which she ran towards and grabbed. "I activate my own Summoner's Flute, so I'll draw and if it's a monster I can summon it." She drew card and saw it wasn't a monster.

Celestia: What a shame. A new monster could have really helped.

"I activate the my face down," Twilight said as her card flipped up, "Ritual of Rebirth. Now I'll discard a card and summon Silent Magician LV4 from the graveyard." In a flash of light the young spellcaster appeared. "Next I summon Star Charmer to the field, in ATK mode." The young Tuner Monster appeared, waving his staff around happily. (A300/D300/L1) "Now I can activate his ability," she said, "to increase Silent Magician's Level by one." Star Charmer waved his wand, which unleashed stardust which flew around Twilight's other magician. (A1000/D1000/L5)

Luna: Now Twilight has just the cards she needs.

"Now I tune my Level five Silent Magician with Level two Star Charmer," Twilight said as her tuner monster transformed into two lights, which carved the two rings her other monster leaped into. "Watch as the shinning radiance of the stars, unites the unbreakable sound of silence," The monsters disappeared in an explosion of light. "I SYNCHRO SUMMON!"

The light faded revealing Twilight's monster. "Tempest Conjurer!" (A2200/D1400/L6)

"Quite extraordinary," Octavia said, "but that monster won't be much of a threat to my Melody Maker."

"We'll see," Twilight said, "I activate Tempest Conjurer's ability. I reveal the top three cards of my deck and then discard any Spell card I find. Then my magician's ATK points will increase by three hundred for each card I discard."

Celestia: I see her plan. If she can reveal three Spell cards, her magician's ATK points will increase by nine hundred, giving it just enough to destroy Melody Maker.

Twilight reached for her deck and drew three cards, which see looked at and smiled. She revealed them to Octavia, "three Spellbooks." She discarded them as her monster gained more power. (A3100/D1400/L6)

Luna: Talk about a lucky draw. Now Twilight can take down Melody Maker.

"Tempest Conjurer," Twilight ordered, "Attack!" Her magician spun its staff and unleashed a powerful bolt of lightning, which flew at Orchestral Mistress. However, the thunderbolt was quickly deflected by some kind of barrier. "What?"

"Apologies Twilight," Octavia said, "but my Depth Barrier negated your attack. All I had to do was drop three cards from my deck." She smirked as her Card Guard Trap glowed, making Twilight removed three cards from her deck and placed them in her graveyard.


"This is going from bad to worse," Spike said, "not only can't Twilight attack, she's running out of cards."

"She's probably lost half her cards by now," Flash said.

"This is nuts," Applejack said, "how's she suppose to Duel when she's only playing with half a deck?"

"I think that's the point," Vinyl said.


"I end my turn," Twilight said, "Tempest Conjurer's ATK points return to normal." (A2200/D1400/L6)

"Then it's my turn," Octavia said as she went to her deck, "and I'll once again use Melody Maker's ability to discard the top five card of my deck and destroy Tempest Conjurer." Card Guard once again glowed and forced Twilight to discard her cards, before Octavia's monster played its instrument again. Tempest Conjurer was struck by the high powered sound waves and destroyed, leaving Twilight's field bare. "I place one card face down and end my turn."

Celestia: Once again Twilight is at the mercy of her opponents power combo. She's down to only ten cards.

"It's my turn," Twilight said, "I draw."

Twilight: 9 cards

She looked at her card and saw it was Twilight Unicorn, but it couldn't do a thing against Melody Maker. "I end my turn," she said. "There's no point summoning a monster if you're just going to destroy it and my deck."

"Smart move my dear," Octavia said, "but it has one small flaw." Her face down flipped up revealing a Spell. "Sound of the Orchestra," she said, "this card lets me drop three cards from the top of my deck. In exchange I can summon a Orchestra Token to either side of our field."

Twilight growled as she went to her deck and removed three more cards.

Twilight: 6 cards

In a flash of light, a large group of people appeared. They were all in suit and tie while playing different musical instruments. (A0/D0/L1)

"And now I'll activate Melody Maker's ability," Octavia said as Card Guard once again glowed.

Twilight: 1 card

Once again the cellist played the golden instrument, blasting out the sound wave which struck the token destroying it. Twilight was also struck by the sound wave, which threw her off her feet and sent her flying back and crashing into an oversized trumpet.

"TWILIGHT!" Her friends all yelled.

Twilight pushed herself back to her feet, though she was a little wobbly and lost her balance.

"I end my turn," Octavia said.

Luna: This is it folks. Unless Twilight can somehow defeat her opponent, on her next turn she'll be out of cards and will lose this Duel.

"Come on Twilight!" Flash called out.

"I know this seems impossible," Applejack said, "but you've still got a chance."


"Come on Twilight," Shining said, "get up."

Chrysalis just shook her head. "I'm sorry Shining, but I just don't see how she can find a way out of this."

"There is a way," Sunset said, "and she'll find it."

"Twilight," Cadance said. She placed her hands together, as if she were praying.


Octavia looked down at her weakened opponent and sighed. "You were a good opponent. It's a shame this has to end so soon." She looked away, not wanting to see her this way.

"NO!" Octavia looked back down at Twilight and saw her standing tall. "I'm not losing this," she said, "I can't. Not yet, I can't stop until I Duel them." Twilight might have been worried about Duelling against Adagio and Shadow, but that didn't mean she didn't want to. She had to stop them. To get back at them for what they did to Rainbow and Rarity, meaning she had to win this.

"You do realise that you only have one card right?" Octavia said, "how can you possible win?"

"One card or one thousand, it doesn't matter," Twilight said, "as long as I've got cards in my deck I can still win."

Octavia smiled, liking her optimism. "Then show me," she said, "how to win with one card."

Twilight nodded and went to her deck. "It's my turn, I DRAW!"

Twilight: 0 cards

She looked at the card she'd drawn and her eyes went wide, before she smiled. "First," Twilight said, "I'll summon Shadow Charmer to my field in ATK mode." In a flash of light, her number one tuner appeared. (A1200/D700/L3) "Now I my Pendulum Scale will once again carve the arc of victory," she said as the portal formed above her. "I PENDULUM SUMMON!"

The portal opened and a single light shot out, hitting the ground and taking form. "Twilight Unicorn!" (A1800/D1300/L4/P7)

"Her last turn and she plays two monsters that can't even destroy Melody Maker?" Octavia said.

"Now watch," Twilight said, "as I tune Level three Shadow Charmer with Level four Twilight Unicorn!" Her Tuner leaped into the air and transformed into three spheres of lights, which carved three circles that Twilight Unicorn leapt into. "It's time to embrace the power given by those we call friends and ascend to a higher plain of life." Instead of disappearing in a flash, the light infused into Twilight Unicorn as two new appendages appeared on its back. "I SYNCHRO SUMMON!"

The light faded from the monsters body, revealing Twilight Unicorn's new form. She was almost exactly the same, except she was now sporting a pair of wings on her back and was slightly taller. "Twilight Alicorn!" (A2600/D1900/L7)

Everyone marvelled at Twilight's new monster.

"Now I activate Twilight Alicorn's ability," Twilight said, "by banishing five Spellbooks from my graveyard, I can change your monsters battle position and cut its ATK and DEF points in half.

Octavia's eyes went wide hearing this, before looking over to see he monster stand up. (A500/D1500/L8)

"What's more," Twilight continued, "Twilight Alicorn's ATK points increase by one thousand for the turn." (A3600/D1900/L7)

"That's still not enough to defeat me," Octavia said, but in that second Twilight leapt on her monsters back and flew up. They flew over to where a giant maraca was sitting, before Twilight leaned down and scooped up and Action Card from the top. "I activate Power Rhythm," she said, "by paying life points I can increase my monster's ATK points.

Twilight: 3100
Octavia: 4000

Twilight Alicorn glowed as its power increased. (A4500/D1900/L7) "ATTACK!" Twilight Alicorn's horn glowed, before it fired a powerful burst of purple magic which flew at Melody Maker.

Octavia looked around for an Action Card, but none where in sight. Twilight Alicorn's blast struck her monster, causing an explosion which made everyone to shield their eyes from the light.

Twilight: 3100 (Winner)
Octavia: 0

Celestia: SHE DID IT! Twilight Sparkle has defeated Octavia Melody, even though she was out of cards.

Luna: Talk about a come back for the ages.


Her friends were all cheering loudly.

"I can't believe it," Applebloom said "winning even though she only had one card."

"I told you," Spike said, "nothing's gonna take Twilight down."

"She did great," Flash said, "I'm just glad see didn't let Adagio and Shadow put her off."

"Oh please," Applejack said, "when she's Dueling there's only one thing on her mind."

"I'm happy for your friend," Vinyl said, "but it's to bad Octavia had to lose."


As the field dissolved, Twilight made her way over Octavia.

"Thanks for the great Duel," Twilight said, "I was worried there for a second."

"No problem darling," Octavia said, "I enjoyed it...even when I lost."

The two smiled at one another and then turned to leave, heading to the stadium exit.


"Well that was surprising," Chrysalis said, "I really didn't think she stood a chance."

"I told you," Shining said, "Twilight's a great Duellist." However, when the others looked away his face changed to one of worry. "But will her skills be enough? I don't want to see her get hurt."


Celestia: And with that, we reach the final Duel of the day. Adagio Dazzle will be facing off against Photo Finish.

Luna: May both competitors make their way to the stage.

Everyone frowned hearing Adagio was about to Duel. Even so they knew they had to keep an eye on how she Duelled, looking for any weaknesses in the stratagy.


"Wish me luck," Adagio said as she turned to head down.

"Be careful," Shadow said, "you know what Photo Finish can do."

"Oh relax," she said, "sure she's got a fancy one of a kind monster, but I've got Dark Siren. Nothing's going to stop me."

With that she was gone.

Author's Note:

What do you think of Twilight's new Synchro. For future reference I'll explain its effects.

- It counts as a Spellcaster
- You can't summon Twilight Unicorn while its on the field.
- Once per turn you can banish a certain number of Spellbooks from the graveyard to activate different effects.

1-Increase this cards ATK by 1000.
3-Change your opponent's battle position and/or half their ATK and DEF points.
5-Both effects.

PreviousChapters Next