• Published 8th Jul 2017
  • 4,453 Views, 663 Comments

Yugioh EQG: Shadow Gates - Banshee531



The Celestic Cup Finals have arrived. Who will take the crown and what mysterious ploys are being plotted in the shadows? Only time will tell.

  • ...
3
 663
 4,453

PreviousChapters Next
Turn 12, Mecha Thunder

Celestia: We open day three of the Celestic Cup Finals with round two.

Luna: That's right sis, but unlike the first round we'll be having both A and B block.

Celestia just nodded at this, as she turned to look out at the audience.

Up in the stands our heroes, minus Flash and Fluttershy, were in the seats. Both Tidal and Mac were sitting with them, while up in the main box the VIPs had just arrived.

Celestia: Today's schedule will begin with the A Block participants competing in four matches, followed by an hour long lunch break before finishing with the B Block competition.

Luna: Just like the first round, our competitors will be selected randomly before their match and will compete on a randomly generated Action Field.


"So the competition's gonna be just as hard as the last round," Spike said.

"Doubt it," Twilight told her brother, "it's most likely gonna be twice as hard. The ones competing managed to win their way here, so they'll be extra prepared to do so again."

"It all depends on the cards drawn," Tidal said, "one bad hand and you're done."

"Eeyup," Mac said.

"Then let's hope we don't get a bad hand," Applejack said.

Everyone nodded in agreement.

"Hey," Pinkie said looking around, "where's Flash and Fluttershy."

"I don't know about Flash," Twilight said, "but Fluttershy's with Rainbow Dash."


"This bites!" Rainbow moaned as she sat in her bed, "I'm so bored."

"I know you are," Fluttershy told her, "but the doctor said you need another days rest before you can get up."

"Stupid doctor," Rainbow groaned while crossing her arms.

"Oh come now," Rarity said from her bed, "I'm in the same boat as you darling."

"Yeah," Sweetie said, "let's just enjoy the watching the Duel." She picked up the remote and switched on the TV, which was set to show the feed of the megascreen.


"What about Flash?" Applebloom asked.

"He needed the bathroom," Scootaloo explained.

"Well he'd better hurry," Applejack said, "they'll be picking the first two Duellists soon. If he's picked."

"The odds he'll be picked first twice in a row are highly unlikely," Twilight said, "though he really should hurry."

In that second, the Celestic Sisters began talking again.

Celestia: It's time to select the Duellists for today's first match.

Luna: Which two competitors will it be? Let's find out.

She pressed the button of her remote, which caused the megascreen to shift to the images of the eight A Block Duelists. The images then spun around and began spinning around, until the first image shot out.

Celestia: It's Thunderlane!

The second image shot out, showing Thunderlane's opponent.

Luna: And Big Macintosh!

"Alright bro," Applejack said to her brother, "looks like you're up."

"Eeyup," Mac replied as he stood up.

"Good luck," Applebloom said.

With that, Big Mac headed down towards the arena.


Meanwhile Flash was just coming out of the bathroom, when the megascreen showed who was Duelling.

"So Mac's up first this time," he said, "better get back."

With that he turned to head towards the seating area, but as he did something caught his eye...or someone.

There, leaning against a nearby wall, was Shadow who was staring back at Flash with a smirk on his face. The two stared at each other for what felt like a solid minute, until Shadow turned and stepped out of the room down a corridor.

Before he could even think, Flash's body was moving and chased after Shadow.


Celestia: Celestic Cup Finals, round two, match one in about to get underway. Let's welcome our competitors into the stadium.

The two openings opened up and released the smoke, as the two Duellists entered the arena.

Luna: First of we have the electrifying Duelist, Thunderlane!

Thunderlane waved to the audience as he stepped towards the centre.

Celestic: And his opponent. The quiet but powerful, Big Mac!


"Go get them Big Mac!" Applejack cheered her brother on.

"Win this one for us!" Applebloom continued.


The two Duellists met in the centre, where the ref was waiting with his coin. "Heads or tails."

"Heads," Thunderlane said.

The ref flipped his coin and looked at the outcome. "Tails, Big Mac will take the first move."

The two nodded and stepped back to a reasonable distance.

Luna: Let's see what Duel Field they'll be competing on today.

She held up her remote and pressed the button, causing the floor to glow as it formed the Duel Field.

"AUGMENTED REALITY COMBAT SYSTEM ENERGISED."

In the blink of an eye, the two Duellists were transported to the inside of a large metal factory. The whole room was filled with metal walkways, one of which the two were standing on, while there were electronic machines that sparked.

Celestia: Thunder Factory!

"That's the perfect stage for them both," Twilight said, "what better place for machines then a factory."

"And senor Thunderlane's monster will feel right at home there as well," Tidal said.


"You're going down," Thunderlane said as he pulled out a black Duel Disk and placed it on his arm.

"Nope," Mac replied as he did the same with his."

Luna: Well it looks like our competitors are ready to Duel.

Celestia: Then in three!

Luna: TWO!

Both: ONE!

"DUEL!"

Mac: 4000
Thunderlane: 4000

"ACTION CARD DISPERSED!"


Meanwhile Flash was rushing down the corridor after Shadow.

"WAIT!" He yelled, causing the doppelganger to finally come to a stop.

Shadow slowly turned towards Flash, giving him a smirk as he looked him over. "So we finally meet face to face," he said as he crossed his arms, "my my, we do look alike. It's uncanny."

Flash frowned at this. "Alright you imposter, I want some answers."

Shadow frowned back hearing this. "I assure you I'm no impostor. I possess far to much power to be anything less then the genuine article."

The two continued to stare each other down.


"It's my turn," Mac said as he went to his deck, "I draw and I summon Mecha Worker Chisel Striker in ATK mode." A new Mecha Worker appeared, this one being white with a stone cutter chisel for its right hand. (A1200/D1100/L3) "Next I'll equip it with the Mecha Tool Lightning Buzzsaw," Mac said as the yellow robot appeared and transformed into its arm form, before replacing Chisel Striker's left arm. "Now Chisel Striker gets an extra five hundred points (A1700/D1100/L3) "I end my turn with a face down."

"My turn," Thunderlane said as he went to his deck, "I draw!" He looked at his card and smiled. "Now I'll set the Pendulum Scale, with scale two Tempest Roc and scale nine Tempest Griffon."

He placed two cards on his Duel Disk as it lit up. On either side of him, two columns of light appeared as his monsters flew up into them. The first was a large blue bird with yellow lightning patterns on its wings and back, while the other everyone had already seen. Once high enough the two looked up and shot beams of light, which struck the sky above Thunderlane's head forming a portal. "I PENDULUM SUMMON!"

The portal opened and two beams of light shot out and struck the ground.

"Tempest Unicorn!" (A1900/D1700/L5/P3)

The second was a blue man, bull hybrid with lightning shaped horns. "Tempest Minotaur!" (A2300/1300/L6/P4)

"Now I'll have Unicorn attack your Mecha Worker!" Thunderlane ordered as his Unicorn galloped at Chisel Striker, while its horn sparked. "Plus when Tempest Unicorn attacks, it gains a hundred ATK points for every other Thunder Type monster on the field." (A2000/D1700/L5/P3)

Meanwhile Mac leaped into action, jumping off the walkway and falling down to another. There he picked up an Action Card and placed it in his Duel Disk. "I activate the Action Card Static Shock," he said, "by equipping it to my Mecha Worker for the rest of the turn any monster that attacks it looses three hundred ATK points." Sparks surround Chisel Striker, just as Unicorn struck it and that caused it be electrocuted. (A1700/D1700/L5/P3) With that the two monsters were destroyed, leaving Mac's field bare.

"Well I've still got one attack left," Thunderlane said, "Minotaur attack him directly!" The bull monster jumped down to the walkway Mac was on and charged at him, horns at the ready.

Celestia: Big Mac's looking at some major damage if he doesn't do something.

"I activate my Trap," Mac said as his face down flipped up, "Scrap-Iron Scarecrow! With this I can negate your attack." The metallic scarecrow appeared between Mac and the monster, which struck it and was deflected. "Now I can reset my Scarecrow to use next turn," Mac said.

"Well I end my turn with a face down," Thunderlane said.

Luna: Neither side is giving an inch. Who will be the first to leap ahead?


Meanwhile Flash and Shadow were continuing to stare each other down.

"So," Shadow said, "is there something you want to ask or were we having a staring contest I wasn't aware of?"

Flash just glared harder. "I want to know where Sombra is?"

Shadow just rolled his eyes. "And why would I tell you? What you think if you stare at me hard enough I'll crack?"

"You are gonna tell me," Flash replied, "I don't care what happens, you'll be telling me sooner or later."

"Oh yeah?" Shadow asked, "I'd like to see you try."

Flash's fists tightened, before he rushed forward and threw a punch at Shadow. Shadow however, held up is hand and grabbed Flash's fist.

"Is that really the best you've got?" Shadow asked mockingly, before grabbing Flash by the wrist and pulling him forward. He then raised his knee and struck Flash in the stomach, knocking the wind out of him. "Pathetic," he said before throwing him to the ground. "Face it, you can't beat me. Either in a fist fight or in a Duel, I'll always the superior."

Flash just groaned as he picked himself up, before looking up at Shadow and glaring.

"Just stay out of my way," Shadow said. With that he spun on his heels and walked away, leaving Flash to recover from the hit.


"It's my turn," Mac said as he went to his deck, "I draw and play the Spell card, Polymerisation! With this, I can fuse the Mecha Worker Max Axe and Saw Cutter in my hand together." His two monsters appeared infront of him, before getting sucked into a vortex which appeared above them. "Now my two Mecha Workers will combine to create an even greater machine," Mac said as the vortex exploded. "I FUSION SUMMON!"

The light faded revealing a familiar monster, except instead of a screwdriver and hammer it had an axe and saw for hands. "Advanced Mecha Worker, Cyber Handyman!" (A2600/D2100/L8) "Now I'll activate Handyman's effect," Mac said, "to add a Spell Card from my deck to my hand." His deck shuffled and slotted out a card which he took and then placed in his Duel Disk. "Now I'll activate Monster Reborn, to revive Mecha Worker Chisel Striker!" In a flash of light his monster reappeared. (A1200/D1100/L3)

Thunderlane frowned seeing this. Why summon that monster when Max Axe was so much stronger?

"Now I'll activate Chisel Striker's ability," Mac said, "which lets me take a Spell card in my graveyard and add it to the hand." He took a card from his graveyard and added it to his hand.


"Nice," Twilight said, "that's gotta be Polymerisation. Now if he can get some more monsters out, he can fuse them again."

"My brothers sure powering through," Applejack said, "I doubt this Thunderlane can keep up."

"Don't count your chickens before they hatch," Tidal said, "Thunderlane wouldn't be here if he wasn't skilled enough to make a comeback."

"Yeah and don't forget about Gilford the Lightning," Spike said, "if he uses three monsters to summon it, it'll destroy every other monster on the field."

"And that'll leave Mac defenceless," Twilight agreed.

"So my brother just won't let him get three monsters," Applebloom said.


"Now I'll equip Chisel Striker with Mecha Tool Nail Gunner," Mac said as a green Mecha Tool robot appeared and transformed into an arm with a gun barrel hand. The new arm connected to Chisel Striker, replacing its left arm. "Now Advanced Mecha Worker Handyman, ATTACK!"

His giant robot charged towards Tempest Minotaur and struck it with his axe and saw, cutting it to shreds.

Mac: 4000
Thunderlane: 3700

"Next I'll attack with Chisel Striker," Mac ordered, as his white robot leaped onto the the walkway Thunderlane was standing on and aimed its Mecha Tool at him.

Thunderlane looked around and saw something behind him, causing him to run in that direction just as Chisel Striker fired a nail at him. As it drew closer, Thunderlane leaped forward and grabbed the Action Card before placing it in his Duel Disk. "Go Lightning Barrier!" A field of electricity appeared around him, which the nail struck and was disintegrated. "This Action Spell lets me negate one attack," Thunderlane explained, "meaning I don't take any damage."

"Maybe from Chisel Striker's first attack," Mac said, "but thanks to Nail Gunner he can attack twice." His Mecha Worker once again aimed his weapon and fired another nail, which struck Thunderlane in the chest.

Mac: 4000
Thunderlane: 2500

"I end my turn," Mac said.

"It's my turn," Thunderlane said as he went to his deck, "I draw and once again carve the arc of victory." The portal formed above his head. "I PENDULUM SUMMON!"

The portal opened and two lights shot out and struck the ground.

"Tempest Unicorn!" (A1900/D1700/L5/P3)

"Tempest Minotaur!" (A2300/1300/L6/P4)


But those monsters don't stand a chance against Handyman?" Pinkie asked. "Why summon them?"

"He wouldn't without a reason," Twilight said.


"Next I'll activate the Equip Spell Mega Charger and place it on my Tempest Minotaur," Thunderlane said as a large metal backpack like device appeared on his monsters back. The device switched on and electrical energy surged around them monster. (A2800/1300/L6/P4) "This card increases a Thunder Monster's ATK points by five hundred, while also allowing me to draw a card every time that monster attacks."

Mac frowned hearing this.

"Now Tempest Minotaur attack!" Thunderlane ordered, as his monster charged at Handyman. "Plus now I get to draw," Thunderlane said as he did so.

As Tempest Minotaur drew closer to Handyman, Mac pressed a button on his Duel Disk and his face down flipped up. "Did you forget about my Scrap-Iron Scarecrow?" He asked, "I'm using it to protect my Handyman." The scarecrow once again appeared and the Minotaur struck it, protecting Handyman before resetting again.

"You may have saved your Fusion Monster," Thunderlane said, "but I can still take out your other monster!" Tempest Unicorn charged forward, "and don't forget his power increases since I have another Thunder Monster out." (A1900/D1700/L5/P3) Lightning surged out its horn, as it drew closer to Mac's monster.

Mac looked around and saw an Action Card on the platform across from him. He leaped over and grabbed it, but once he looked at it his eyes went wide seeing it was a Trap. Suddenly he felt himself get electrocuted.

Mac: 3500
Thunderlane: 2500

Celestia: Short Circuit. Painful

Luna: And there's still an attack coming

With its horn Tempest Unicorn impaled Chisel Striker, destroying it and Nail Gunner.

Mac: 2700
Thunderlane: 2500

Next I'll activate the Spell card I just drew," Thunderlane said as he leaped onto the same walkway as Mac, "Pot of Greed, which let's me draw two cards. I'll then set one card face down and end my turn."


"Come on Mac!" Applejack said, "you've still got more life points."

"But his monster isn't strong enough," Twilight said, "and Scrap-Iron Scarecrow will only get him so far."

"He needs to summon an Advanced Mecha Tool," Applebloom said.

"If he can."

Everyone looked up to see Flash standing next to their seats.

"Where have you been?" Twilight asked.

"Don't ask," Flash said as he sat down.


"It's my turn," Mac said as he went to his deck, "I draw." He looked at his card and nodded as he formed a plan. "I activate my Handyman's ability, to add a Spell card from my deck to my hand." His deck shuffled and slotted out a card, which Mac took. "Now I'll activate it, Tool Repair! With this I can move a Mecha Tool or Advanced Mecha Tool from my graveyard to my hand or Extra Deck." He took a card from his graveyard and placed it in his hand.

"What's he planning?" Thunderlane wondered.

"Now I play Polymerisation!" Mac said, "to fuse Mecha Tool Nail Gunner and Jackhammer." Nail Gunner and a white Mecha Tool appeared, before being sucked into a vortex that appeared above them. "I FUSION SUMMON!"

The vortex exploded and from it came a white and green Advanced Mecha Tool, with a tail like device in the shape of a Jackhammer and a nail gun on its head. "Advanced Mecha Tool Nail Hammer." (A1000/D1000/L4) "And now I'll equip Nail Hammer to my Handyman," Mac said as the Advanced Mecha Tool transformed into a new arm, with the two tools on the end. Handyman's left shoulder opened up, folding out a plug like instrument that Nail Hammer attached to. "With this upgrade, my Handyman is now one thousand points stronger. (A3600/D2100/L8)

Thunderlane frowned seeing this.

"Attack!" Mac ordered as his monster charged forward, swinging its tool at Tempest Unicorn.

Thunderlane looked around and saw an Action Card behind him, which he leaped at and grabbed. "I activate Supercharger!" This card powers up a monster on the field by a thousand points." Lightning surged around the unicorn just before Handyman struck it. (A2900/D1700/L5/P3)

BOOM!

Tempest Unicorn was destroyed.

Mac: 2700
Thunderlane: 1800

"I end my turn," Mac said.


"That's the way!" Applejack cheered.

"Even Minotaur isn't strong enough to destroy Handyman now," Twilight said.

"Doesn't mean Thunderlane's out," Flash said.


"It's my turn," Thunderlane said, "I draw!" He looked at the card he'd drawn and his eyes went wide, seeing what it was. He then smiled and turned to Big Mac. "Once again, my Pendulum Scale will cut through space time and carve the arc of victory." His monster fired the beams of light above his head, forming the portal. "I PENDULUM SUMMON!"

The portal opened and two beams of light flew out, striking the ground on opposite sides of Tempest Minotaur.

"Tempest Unicorn!" (A1900/D1700/L5/P3)

"Thunder Dragon." (A1600/D1500/L5)

"Three monsters!" Mac realised, followed by the rest of the crowd.

"AND NOW!" Thunderlane held up the card he'd just drawn. "I tribute all three of my monsters to summon Gilford, THE LIGHTNING!"

The three monsters disappeared in an explosion of electricity and in their place, stood Thunderlane's best monster. (A2800/D1400/L8) "Since I sacrificed three monsters to summon him," Thunderlane explained, "his ability wipes out every monster on your side of the field." Gilford swung its giant sword, unleashing a burst of lightning which struck Handyman, destroying it.

Everyone's eyes went wide, seeing what had just happened.

Celestia: Unbelievable. Thunderlane has destroyed Big Mac's best monster.

Luna: And it hasn't even attacked yet.

"Well he will now!" Thunderlane said.

Gilford raised its sword and swung it down, unleashing a powerful thunderbolt which flew at Big Mac.

"I activate Scrap-Iron Scarecrow!" Mac said but his Duel Disk was giving him a no go signal.

"Sorry!" Thunderlane said as his face down flipped up, "but Trap Stun negates your Trap."


"This is bad," Twilight said.

"If this attack hits," Applejack realised, "it's all over."

"MAC!" Applebloom called out.


As the thunderbolt drew closer, Mac stood his ground. Had he accepted he'd lost?

"I activate the effect of Mecha Worker Saw Cutter from the graveyard!" Mac said as his Mecha Worker appeared before him. The machine raised its saw blade and sliced right through the thunderbolt, causing it to barely fly passed Big Mac on either side of him. Once the thunderbolt was depleted, Saw Cutter disappeared.

Mac: 1300
Thunderlane: 1800

Big Mac sighed in relief. "By removing Saw Cutter from my graveyard, I can cut the damage I take in half."

Thunderlane frowned. "You got lucky. I end my turn."

Celestia: Few. Big Mac managed to safe himself, but can he mount a come back.

Luna: I don't see how. With no cards in his hand.


"Come on Mac," Applejack said.

"He's gonna win?" Applebloom asked her sister, "isn't he?"

"It's not gonna be easy," Twilight said, "but there's a chance."

"It all depends on what he draws," Flash said.


As Mac placed his hand on his deck, he took a deep breathe and drew. Seeing the card he'd just drawn he instantly played it. "Go Pot of Greed," he said, "with this I draw two new cards." He did and when he saw what cards he'd gotten, he smiled. "And now I'll set the Pendulum Scale, with scale one Green Mecha Mechanic and scale six Pink Mecha Mechanic." The columns of light appeared on either side of him, as two robots flew up into them. The first was green and carried a large welding torch, while the other was pink and carried a chain and hook.

"Why use them?" Thunderlane asked, "you don't have any cards in your hand to summon."

"Maybe," Mac said, "but they do have their Pendulum Abilities." He held up his Duel Disk, which began shuffling cards. "Green's Pendulum Ability lets me add a random Spell card to my hand," Mac explained as a card was slotted out. Mac took a closed his eyes as he placed his hand on the card, this whole Duel came down to what he'd got, so with one deep breath he took the card.

Slowly opening his eyes, he saw what he'd gotten and smiled. "Perfect," he said.

Thunderlane frowned hearing him say this. What had he gotten?

"First," he said, "I'm paying half my life points to activate Pink Mecha Mechanic's ability."

Mac: 650
Thunderlane: 1800

"Now I can revive a Machine Monster in my graveyard, with its abilities negated." In a flash of light, Advanced Mecha Worker Cyber Handyman appeared. "You know what? I think I'll do that again."

Mac: 325
Thunderlane: 1800

Another flash occurred, but this time Advanced Mecha Tool Nail Hammer appeared.


"But without its ability it can't equip to Handyman," Spike said.

"He had to have had a reason for summoning it," Twilight told him.

"It has to have something to do with the card he drew," Flash said.


"And now!" Mac said as he took the card he'd drawn, "I activate the Spell card...Power Bond!"

Thunderlane's eyes went wide seeing this.

"Now I can Fusion Summon a Machine type monster," Mac said, "while also doubling its ATK points for this turn."

With this a vortex appeared above his monsters, which sucked them inside. "I FUSION SUMMON!" The vortex exploded and from it came a new monster. It looked like Handyman, but it was twice the size and looked more advanced. It had three arms, two from Handyman, with an axe and saw on either end, while the third was from his back and looked like Nail Hammer. "Advanced Mecha Worker, Multi-Tool Giant. (A2500/D3000/L10)

Thunderlane looked up at the giant in horror.

"Plus Multi-Tool Giant's ability increases his ATK points by five hundred for every Advanced Mecha Tool used to Fusion Summon him. (A3000/D3000/L10) "And don't forget about Power Bond's effect, which doubles his ATK points." (A6000/D3000/L10)

"SIX THOUSAND ATK POINTS!" Thunderlane screamed in horror.

"And now," Mac said, "ATTACK!" His monster charged forward swinging all three of its arms at Gilford the Lightning. Gilford swung its sword in defence, but it was useless and he was destroyed.

Thunderlane was sent flying back by the force of the attack, flying off the walk way and crashing into the one below.

Mac: 325 (Winner)
Thunderlane: 0

Celestia: INCREDIBLE! Big Mac once again comes from behind to claim victory!

Luna: he'll be moving onto the next round, while Thunderlane will be receiving a gift bag on his way home.


"ALRIGHT!" Applejack and Applebloom cheered

"That was a great come back," Twilight said as she and the others clapped.

"Sure was," Flash said.

"He was great," Spike said.

"Told you guys," Applejack said.


Down below, as the Duel Field dispersed, Big Mac moved over to his opponent and offered and hand to help him up.

"Thanks," Thunderlane said, "and thanks for the great Duel."

"Eeyup," Mac replied.

"Looks like I need more practice," Thunderlane said, "how about we meet up again one day and Duel again?"

"Eeyup!" Mac replied with a smile.

With that the two turned and went in opposite directions.


Meanwhile Shadow stepped up and stood next to Adagio, who gave him a sceptical look.

"Where have you been?" She asked him.

"Sending a message," Shadow replied, "letting our opponents know who their messing with."

Adagio glared at him. "Just don't do something that'll get you kicked out of the tournament, or worse gets me kicked out."

"Relax," Shadow said, "no one saw me."

"They'd better not," Adagio warned him, before looking back down at the arena.

The Celestic Cups second round had only just begun. More and more great Duels were sure to come.

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoyed it. Who do you think is Duelling next?

PreviousChapters Next