• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 5,032 Views, 79 Comments

Working as Intended - Corejo



Twilight turns herself into a fly. Because magic is weird like that.

  • ...
10
 79
 5,032

II - Another Normal Day for Rarity

“Ah. Absolutely stunning, don’t you think, Opal?” Rarity asked.

Opalescence glanced up lazily from a bolt of cloth-turned-pillow and meowed indifference. She rolled over, resuming her slumber.

“Why yes, I do believe this is my greatest creation yet!” Rarity stepped back from a dress form, where a beautiful, flowing dress seemed to brighten the room with a light of its own. A tear came to her eye. Four months of tireless work had never paid off so magnificently. “Fleur will be most pleased—no, honored to wear this for the upcoming Summer Daze banquet in Canterlot.”

Opalescence meowed again.

“You’re right, I should get this to the post office right away if it’s to arrive on time.” Rarity trotted toward a closet in the back of her boutique, but a faint buzzing noise caught her attention. She sighed, then looked around in annoyance. It was around here somewhere.

She scanned the room with a glare that would have made the bravest of warriors faint before settling on a fly making endless circles above. Scowling, she levitated a magazine from a nearby table, slapped its pages around the fly, rolled it up, and tossed it in the trash with her only second thought being to set it on fire. After the embarrassment of last year’s Canterlot Spring Formal, she made a point to dispose of the little devils whenever she happened upon them. Revenge was an endless endeavor. One utterly destroyed ballroom was enough for her lifetime.

Satisfied with her daily dose of vengeance, she turned back to the closet and brought out a thick canvas dress protector: waterproof, flame-retardant, and for what it was, quite stylish. Paisley had its moments. She nodded in approval, then brought it back to the dress form. Careful not to wrinkle her masterpiece, she slipped the dress inside before zipping it up.

“There. Safe and secure.” She chuckled. “Now, to the post office.”

≈≈≈×≈≈≈

A cool breeze swept through Rarity’s mane as she made her way through town, dress in tow.

“Why, Rarity, you really need to get out more,” she said, taking in the afternoon sunlight. “Today is absolutely gorgeous! This would be a—wah!” She jumped backward, narrowly avoiding a speeding red wagon full of Crusaders. “Will you three please be more careful!?”

“Sorry, sis!” Sweetie Belle yelled over her shoulder. Everything else she said was lost in the distance.

Rarity sighed. When will they learn? “Now, where was I? Oh, yes.” She floated the dress protector before her, continuing, smiling dreamily. “Why yes, Fancy Pants, I did make this fabulous dress.” She looked around the empty streets for curious eyes, then giggled like a school filly and bit her lip in a vain attempt to curb her excitement. The thought of holding what would soon be the greatest statement in all of fashion overcame her. One last glance couldn’t hurt.

Every shade of purple to ever grace the earth met her eyes as an elegant halter dress floated out from the protective covering. Its lean, silken body glowed softly in the afternoon sun. The front cut low to centerpiece a silver necklace set with a single dark-purple spinel. Amethyst fleurs-de-lis lined the midriff and continued on into the long, frilled skirt. Barely noticeable to the eye, silken gossamer flowed over the shoulders like morning mist over a meadow, and thin strips of iridescent lace entwined imaginary hooves. To top it all off, a silver tiara inlaid with diamond-encircled amethysts took its place above the ensemble.

Perfect couldn’t describe it. It was absolutely perfect.

Rarity sighed. To think that she wouldn’t be the one to wear her greatest creation. Quite a shame, really—it went marvelously with her mane and dove-white coat. But business was business, and quite a bit of business it would certainly bring.

A gentle wind rustled the branches of the library as she passed it by, drawing her attention. “Hmm... I wonder how Twilight’s doing.”

Suddenly, the front wall of the library exploded in purple hellfire. The flames roared into the street and washed over Rarity like a flood.

As quickly as it had happened, the flames died away, leaving an inside view of the library, a scorched strip of earth, and a very not-dove-white Rarity.

She gazed blankly into the distance, eye twitching. The ringing in her ears filled the silence of the empty street as the dress protector fell from her grasp, and slowly, slowly, her eyes shifted to the pieces of charred, blackened, and not-masterpiece worthy scraps of cloth hanging in the air. They crumbled into tiny flakes that gently fluttered into the open dress protector, which laid on the ground unscathed.

The reality of her situation overwhelmed her. The earth spun, and everything went black.

≈≈≈×≈≈≈

“Rarity!”

SLAP!

“Rarity, wake up!”

SLAP! SLAP!

“Ughnh?”

SLAP!

“Rainbow...?”

SLAP!

Rarity’s eyes shot wide. “Rainbow!”

Rainbow Dash paused, hoof in the air. “Oh, good! You’re awake! Something’s happened to the library! It blew up or something! We have to go find Twilight!”

Rarity breathed a sigh of relief knowing the rain of blows had ended, but then tensed as if it hadn’t. “What!?”

“I said we need to find Twilight! Come on!” Rainbow Dash yanked her to her hooves and made a beeline for the library.

Rarity shook her head. Twilight... Right. Help Twilight. She took a step toward the library, but something crunched underhoof. She looked down and promptly fainted.

≈≈≈×≈≈≈

“Rarity!”

Something shook her like an unfortunate birthday present. “Ughnh?”

“Come on!” Rainbow Dash dropped her to the ground and punted the dress protector across the street.

Rarity wobbled unsteadily on her haunches before shaking her head and scowling at the rainbow trailing into the library. That ruffian. Rising to her hooves, she brushed fruitlessly at the soot clinging to her chest. She sighed. That’d take weeks to get out.

She cast a wistful glance at the dress protector, but took a deep breath and trotted to the library. Twilight was more important. If only barely.

The library was, to put it lightly, worthy of condemnation. Bits of bark hung from the ceiling and the jagged, gaping hole that was once the front wall, and books lay in heaps of ash beneath decimated bookshelves. Deep scores ran chaotic patterns in the floor. Spike was piling books in a corner, a tired but irritated look on his face.

“Spike, what happened?” Rarity asked, eyeing the smoking remains of the center table.

“Oh, you know, just a huge explosion is all. Nothing special. I mean, it only happened the day after I stayed up all night to finish straightening up the library...” He set a stack of books on top of another, and the combined stack collapsed into a cloud of dust. He ground his teeth.

Rarity shielded her face from the frustration radiating off him and gave a weak smile. “Oh, well, um... where’s Twilight?” Spike glowered at her. “Eheh, I-I’m sure she’s alright. Oh, I know! Why don’t you let us clean up for you? You look positively exhausted!”

“Well... It’s a lot to clean up, but I’m the only one who knows where everything goes.” He looked aside, brows tensed in hesitation.

“Oh, nonsense, Rainbow and I will have the place sparkling before you can bat an eye. Now you go on upstairs and get your rest.” She straightened a pile to enunciate her point.

Spike held a book close to his chest and bit his lip, but a peck on the cheek practically floated him upstairs, a goofy smile on his face.

After the door to the bedroom clicked shut, Rarity gave the room another once-over. A large black circle consumed most of the floor and seemed to be the epicenter of the fissures. She rolled her eyes. Not even an hour after getting out of the hospital, Twilight just had to go and do something crazy. Her eye twitched. She just had to go and ruin her dress...

Rarity shook her head, silently berating herself for thinking such things. She did earnestly hope she was alright.

Momentarily, a pile of books shuddered, and a very grey Rainbow Dash popped out with a book in her hooves and one on her head. She coughed, sending a cloud of ash across the library. “She ain’t under here. But I found a Daring Do book!” she said, holding out the one in her hooves before it disintegrated. She frowned.

Rarity sighed. “Rainbow Dash, we don’t have time for this. We have to find out what happened to Twilight.”

“Relax, Rarity, this isn’t the first time Twilight’s done something stupid like this. Besides.” She spread her forehooves wide, gesturing at the pile of books. “I don’t see you diving in here...”

Rarity huffed. “There are cleaner and less, eh, dusty ways of looking. I will not stoop to getting dirty if I can help it.”

Rainbow Dash snickered, then burst into laughter. “It’s a little late for that, Rarity. You already look like a burnt marshmallow!”

Rarity flustered, her face turning beet red. “Rainbow...” She took a step forward, but stopped as something caught her eye.

A small purple something buzzed through the air, weaving a random pattern as it descended toward her. Wide eyed, Rarity leaned back and watched it land on the tip of her nose.

≈≈≈×≈≈≈

A large tree stood tall on the outskirts of Sweet Apple Acres. It basked in the warmth of the sun, silently growing taller and grander than its kin. Large apples, its pride and joy, shimmered like grand rubies. While it knew it could never live up to Bloomberg’s greatness, second place was acceptable; since his transfer to Appleoosa, there was no competition for miles around.

A wind rustled the tree’s branches, giving it the sound of a contented sigh. If able to, it would have smiled. The sound of songbirds and scurry of squirrels counted among its favorite things in life, and the day held no short supply of either. Such a wonderful day it was, nothing to go wrong or disturb its carefree life.

That is, until a little red wagon crashed into the broadside of its trunk and exploded in a dazzling shower of color. The animals scattered like leaves in the wind. If it had a pair of eyes, the tree would have rolled them. Not these three again.

“I told you that was a stupid idea, Scoot,” Applebloom said, straightening the frazzled remains of a pink bow in her equally frazzled mane. She sat up from a bit of charred grass and frowned at their wagon. More like an accordion now. The tree would have smirked had it the ability.

“Hey, I didn’t hear you complaining earlier,” Scootaloo shot back as she crossed her eyes to look at the tip of her mane, which was lit like a candle. She licked her hoof and snuffed the flame to a loud sizzle.

Applebloom smacked her upside the head. “Well I was fine with it ‘til you decided to use them fireworks to make us go faster! What were ya tryin’ to do, get us our suicide cutie marks?”

“Pssh! It would have worked if you let me use all of them.”

Applebloom smacked her again, but then turned to their friend. “You alright, Sweetie Belle?”

Sweetie Belle lay upside down against the tree, face scrunched, eyes spinning. After a moment, she rolled to her haunches and shook her head. “Yeah, I think.”

The wind blew through the tree again, another involuntary sigh. These three always found a way to ruin a perfectly good day of simple relaxation. They seemed to have been roughed up quite well by their shenanigans, but the tree saw fit to loose an apple for good measure.

“Oww!” Scootaloo rubbed her head, then glared at the tree.

“Serves ya right, Scoot, ya coulda killed us!”

“Well I don’t see you coming up with any cutie mark ideas!”

“Girls!” Sweetie Belle cut in. “Can’t we just g—”

She stopped, and all eyes turned toward Ponyville. Far off in the distance, they could hear a faint blood-curdling scream.

Author's Note:

[Author's Note: Once again, I would like to thank my editors Drakmire, SecondarySpine, Filler, and Seattle_Lite for their comments and talents on the original write all those years ago. Suddenly, there was a huge explosion! But sadly, that tribute was cut in editing, so it goes here instead. Never stop being awesome, Gardez. You're the man.]

[Onward and upward!]

Comments ( 27 )

As long as Rarity dosen't try to squish her... :twilightoops:

And so it continues...

Speaking of stories continuing... Transcendence? :pinkiehappy:
If, um, that's alright with you, of course... :fluttershyouch:

Scootaloo's plan would have worked if Sweetie Belle didn't have such a weak grip.

MORE ROCKETS!
Scootaloo shall earn her astronaut cutie mark yet!

hmmm, wonder if Flylight Sparkle dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Lyra_dealwithit.png can still use magic in that form

Where is big spider red Mac?

1020694 Sweetie Belle does have a weak grip...

Considering the shape of the insect in the Cover image, Twilight got turned into a wasp.

dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/sillyfilly_Applebloom.png "This reminds me of th' time you tried to drill a hole through yer head! Remember THAT?!"
dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/sillyfilly_Scootaloo.png "That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me!"

Moar would be nice.
Also ohgodwhy.

I enjoyed reading about Twilight's failed spells more then I thought I would, hopefully you get around to an ending in the future.

wow good story :twilightsmile:

i wait for more :raritywink:

1092790 oh celestia that avatar...:pinkiesick:

2572230 really!:pinkiegasp:



i'm guessing lucario is your favorite?

Cool start, hope to see more soon.

AND THEN WHAT?

Semi-related: "Working as intended" is probably one of my favorite phrases of all time.

4242357
This story has been sitting all alone in the dungeon for quite a while. I intend to get back to it, but don't know when that will be. Soon, hopefully.

4243157
Oof! I was just about to ask when the next chapter was gonna come out. Glad I read the comments, lol!

10503627
Yeah, I'm neck deep in my other fic right now, even if its most recent update doesn't indicate that. I hope to have that one at least fully drafted by the end of the year. This story, though, I honestly don't have any plans on getting back to. That's not a cancellation, but more an open-ended, indefinite hiatus.

10504266
kek kek, more like infinite haitus

11090807
Yeah, well, life happens, and this still isn't my top priority fic, unfortunately. We'll see if that changes, but I'm personally not holding my breath.

11090892
no pressure dude, do whatever
its your story after all

Login or register to comment