• Published 13th Aug 2017
  • 19,812 Views, 773 Comments

Home or hearth? - keroko



In the face of anon-a-miss, Sunsets runs away to Equestria to get a break and finds a welcome relief in her old life as a pony. Cultures clash as her CHS friends, determined to win her back, discover just how little they know about Sunset.

  • ...
25
 773
 19,812

Vice-Principal Luna. You're shorter than I expected.

The moment Luna passed through the statue's portal, her vision turned into a swirling whirlpool of colours and her body felt like it was stuck in a hurricane without up or down. She felt her body change, hands, feet, even her face, but the assault on her senses made it impossible to tell how everything was changing.

Then, in the same instance it all started, it ended, and Luna found herself shot out of the other end of the portal. She barely had time to realize she was out of the portal at all, certainly no time to scream. Luna hurled through the air straight into a giant tower of something that immediately collapsed on top of her.

The sweet embrace of darkness was almost welcome after that, if it wasn't accompanied by being buried under something rather heavy. Or many somethings. As her senses slowly returned to her she could hear muffled voices on the other end of the somethings that smelled like... Books, I'm buried under a pile of books. She groaned, more in confusion at her situation than knowing what happened, and pushed against the books. In the back of her mind she somewhat groggily registered that her hands weren't doing what they were supposed to, but what little of her senses had returned demanded she get the pile of books she had somehow buried herself under off her first.

Luna vaguely registered the sound of voices on the other end of the bound paper barrier, but still couldn't really register what they were saying. What she was clear enough to register though, was the books beginning to glow purple and red, before flying off her. She winced as the sudden light blinded her, and vaguely heard a familiar voice talking about... height?

She groaned and slowly opened her eyes, trying to do so slow enough that the light wouldn't just blind them again. She still only saw blurs, a purple one the other an orange and red one. With a few more blinks, the blurs started to solidify into something recognizable. For a given meaning of recognizable.

Two ponies were staring down at her with the biggest, most adorable eyes she had ever seen. Those same remarkably expressive eyes seemed to be filled with concern. Was that for her?

"Vice-Principal Luna? Are you alright?" the one with the fire coloured hair -mane?- asked, with a voice Luna recognized and cleared the last of the haze in her mind.

"Sunset Shimmer?" She asked the pony.

"It's me. How many fing- okay, yeah, that's not going to work. How many hooves am I holding up?"

"One, since you're standing on the other three."

The corners of Sunset's mouth... -Snout? Muzzle?- curled upwards. "Okay, I think she's back with us. "

Luna made an effort to sit upright, only to feel her back refusing to respond like she expected it to and fell right back. Her eyes crossed as they caught something blue in front of her face, beyond where her nose usually was. She raised her hand to try and touch the strange new thing, only for her eyes to widen in surprise at the hoof in its place."

"...Sunset Shimmer?" she asked, her voice strangely calm given the turmoil her mind was in.

"Yes, Vice-Principal Luna?"

"Why am I a pony?"

"Same reason either of us turns into a human on the school's end. We're not entirely sure whether it's an effect of the mirror portal itself, or a more primal aspect of crossing planar boundaries, but long complicated magical theory cut short: on the other side, we're human, on this end, you're a pony," Sunset answered. Then, almost as a afterthought, she added "welcome to Equestria, by the way."

Short though it was, the simple explanation did a lot to calm Luna down. All I have to do is walk through the portal and I'm back to normal again, she reminded herself.

"Can you stand?" Sunset asked.

Luna tried to raise herself into a sitting position again, but just like last time her back just wouldn't respond as it would have when she was human and she slumped back again. She turned to Sunset in exasperation. "Maybe? With a bit of advice?"

The eyes of the purple pony widened in panic, but Sunset merely smiled.

"Yeah, don't try to sit just yet. Just roll over on your stomach for now."

Luna did so, working her way around her backpack -that had mysteriously migrated to her side somehow- and laid down on her stomach. To her surprise, the position was significantly more comfortable than it would have been as a human, as she could easily raise her head without her neck feeling like it was straining to keep it up.

"Okay, now push your legs up, front legs first, then your back legs." Sunset Shimmer said.

Luna did so, and found herself standing on four wobbly hooves. She had figured standing like a pony would be like being on hands and knees, but was nothing like that. Standing on four equal level legs felt... alien. She wobbled again as she tried to take a tentative step and slipped, tipping forward and barely managing to steady herself, her face an inch from the floor.

"Ooooh, I remember being on two legs for the first time. Try to take it easy, Vice-Principal Luna, you'll be shaky for the first few hours at least," the purple pony spoke for the first time, and Luna's eyes widened as she recognized the voice.

"Your Highness," she said. She tried to bow, but only managed to sweep her front hooves from underneath her and land in an ungraceful pile of pony.

Sunset and Twilight shared a glance. "So much for easy," Twilight muttered, as a light purple glow enveloped her horn. Luna felt her body being pulled in what could be described as a weirdly comfortable blanket hug before being lifted into the air. Her eyes widened, but before she so much as found her voice to yelp she was placed back onto her legs and the glow and strange sensation stopped.

Blinking at what just happened, Luna opened her mouth to ask but noticed Sunset Shimmer had started pacing around her.

"I have to say, you're shorter than I expected," Sunset said.

"...Pardon?" Luna replied, utterly confused.

"Sorry, it's just that I met this world's Princess Luna last night, sort off, and you look a lot different."

"Princess?"

"That must be because Vice-Principal Luna never ascended to become an alicorn," Twilight spoke up. "I remember seeing Princess Luna like this shortly after we used the Elements of Harmony to heal her. Well, plus a horn and wings." Twilight's eyes lit up. "Oooh! Does that mean Princess Luna used to be an earth pony before she ascended?"

Sunset stopped her pacing and stared at Luna's rear. "No cutie mark either."

"Wait, what, really?" Twilight rushed to Luna's other side and studied her flank. "Huh, you're right." She raised her head to look at Sunset over the Vice-Principal. "But humans don't get cutie marks, do they?"

Sunset shook her head. "No pony, no cutie mark. I guess that doesn't transfer no matter how similar our other selves are to us?"

Twilight rubbed her chin with a hoof. "I wonder if humans who become ponies can get their cutie marks on this side of the mirror."

"Only one way to find out," Sunset said with a grin.

"Please don't let the Crusaders hear that," Twilight sighed in response.

The two magic students, still on an experiment high, likely would have gone on for hours. It was at this point though that Luna's frustration caught up with her confusion.

"Excuse me!" Luna's voice thundered. While no Royal Canterlot Voice, the Vice-Principal had years of practice making herself heard over crowds of students. The effect was immediate as both ponies jumped back. With the immediate Pony Inquisition out of the way. Luna took a deep breath and continued in a much calmer voice, "I would greatly appreciate it if I could be included in this conversation about my body."

Princess Twilight looked half away and laughed awkwardly, a gesture that reminded Luna much of the girl she so briefly got to know during the Fall Formal. "Sorry Vice-Principal," Twilight spoke up.

"Yeah, sorry. Bit of a geek-out moment there," Sunset added with that awkwardly embarrassed grin Luna had become so familiar with since the girl turned around her life.

"Over me?" Luna asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, yeah. You're the first human to cross the mirror. We... kinda don't have a lot of reference," Sunset answered, still sporting that awkwardly embarrassed grin.

Princess Twilight on the other hand -hoof?-, seemed to have recovered and was almost bouncing on her hooves. "And it's so exiting! Already you've thrown half the theories I'd made about how our worlds mirror one another in the bin, while reinforcing several others. Ooh! This is so exciting! I have so many questions!"

"Easy, Twilight. " Sunset said as she put a hoof on Princess Twilight's shoulder. "Why don't we go have that tea first?"

Princess Twilight put a hoof to her chest and took a deep breath, before pushing her hoof out while slowly breathing out, a move that oddly reminded Luna of something a colleague working at Crystal Prep, Cadance, tended to use to deal with stressful situations.

"Right, tea, let's do that," a now much calmer Princess Twilight said. "Do you think you can walk? The tea is right over there," she continued, and pointed to a low table, surrounded with cushions and with an elegant tray with a kettle and three cups. "I figured it would be easier to keep things close together. Less stumbling that way," she added with a sheepish smile.

Luna hummed in acknowledgement as she stared down at her new legs where her arms used to be. Would this be like crawling all the time? Legs didn't move like arms though, since arms didn't have the elbow facing forward like the knee does. She cautiously lifted her right foreleg and set it back down a bit forward. She blinked as the strange, new sensation registered and raised the leg again, this time she brought it closer to her face and bend it around in various angles. Luna was baffled by how flexible the leg was, even able to turn it around to stare at the frog of her new hoof, something she was pretty sure no pony on her world would be able too.

It took a bit of practice, and no small amount of tripping and stumbling (it was definitely nothing like crawling) but eventually Luna made her way over to one of the large cushions and sat down. Studying the table she noticed an impressively classic tea set, and several plates with all kinds of treats. As she looked at the cups though, Luna tilted her head in confusion.

"Is something wrong, Vice-Principal Luna?" Sunset Shimmer asked.

Luna blinked, and looked back to Sunset. "No, I'm just wonder why this cup here has a holder," she said as she pointed to the cup resting on its place right on front of her, a little handle on its side that would have fit a finger just fine, but was impossibly small for the hooves she had now.

Sunset raised an eyebrow and opened her mouth to answer, but blinked and between the cup and her hooves in confusion, and shut her mouth back with an audible clack. "That's... a good question. Twilight, why do our cups have handles?"

Twilight hummed and raised her head to look at the ceiling in thought. "If I recall, the first modern tea sets didn't appear in Equestria until we had established trade with the minotaurs. Drinking tea with your clients, especially when discussing big business ventures, was tradition among minotaurs back then, so it became commonplace for the wealthy to drink tea from minotaur tea sets. Then the popularity exploded as Princess Celestia was gifted a very expensive set a few hundred years back, after which they became desirable by the rest of the population the very next day. They've been a common sight in pony homes all across Equestria ever since.

Luna nodded in acknowledgement. This was remarkably similar to how tea sets had arrived from the east back in her own world. She stared down at the teacup, then at her hooves, then back at the cup. She reached for the cup with both hooves and gently clamped it between the two surprisingly flexibly hooves, carefully and with some wobbling, raising it up to her now far longer mouth and took a small sip. She glanced at her hosts, who had been looking at her with smiles on their faces.

Luna could feel her ears flopping down on her head. "Don't laugh", she muttered.

Sunset snorted, and Princess Twilight chuckled. "Don't worry, Vice-Principal Luna", the Princess said. "You're with the two ponies in Equestria who completely understand what you're going through."

At Luna's confused tilt of her head, Sunset added "remember the Fall Formal and the movie clip discrediting Twilight?"

Her eyes widened as she remembered the rather embarrassing video. "I'd thought Sunset Shimmer had caught you just having fun playing with your dog..."

"Nnnno that was all real", Princess Twilight said and chuckled awkwardly. "Hands aren't as easy as they look at first glance. Not to mention walking on two legs. I got the hang of them, though. Eventually. Sort of."

Luna turned to Sunset, who shook her head with a bitter smile. "I wasn't much better. I just have about a decade more practice than Twilight."

"So what was with the smiles?"

Princess Twilight and Sunset shared a look. "Well, when you look like a younger version of our thousand-plus year old Princess of the Night drinking tea for the first time, you can't help but smile," Sunset said.

Luna choked on a sip of tea, and sputtered between coughs. "A thousand year old what!?"

"Princess of the Night and Guardian of Dreams. The you in this world raises the moon every night." Princess Twilight tilted her head, levelling an accusing stare at Sunset Shimmer. "Didn't Sunset tell you this?"

"Hey, in my defence I only really met Princess Luna last night," Sunset Shimmer shrugged. Princess Twilight rolled her eyes in reply, but with a smile on her lips.

"Move the moon..." Luna murmured in a daze, swaying on her cushion. "My pony self moves the moon..."

"And watches over the dreams of her subjects," Twilight added.

"Of course she does. How much more fantasy will this get..." Luna murmured, trying to piece together this bombshell. Trying to make sense of it, she blinked as she found a piece that didn't fit. "Wait a minute, how can I be a thousand years old over here? I'm barely 36!"

Sunset scratched the back of her head with a hoof. "Yyyyeah, we haven't really figured out how that worked yet. Sometimes your world mirrors Equestria to a frightening degree, such as our... friends both here and there, at other times it's almost completely different. We've tried to make sense of it, but it just doesn't seem to make any."

"There has got to be a logic to it though," Princess Twilight said. "Maybe a parallel influence? But the timelines just don't match. Something with the phases of the moon perhaps? Oooh, if only the events on your world had been documented here for longer, we-"

"Easy Twilight," Sunset interrupted with a gentle nudge. "Guest first, unravelling the mysteries of alternate realities later."

The Princess's ears drooped and a blush coloured her fur. The small part of Luna's mind that wasn't crooning at how adorable it looked wondered how exactly blushing fur worked.

"Sorry," the Princess said, before clearing her throat to change the subject. "So! You mentioned in your message that you wanted to talk about Sunset's education?"

"Ah, yes, the teachers were generous enough to made copies of the lessons they've had planned for the week, as well as a schedule for their homework. We didn't know how long your hiatus would take, but these should keep you on the track at least until the holidays. They're in my bag, let me just..." Luna reached for one of the bags on her side with a hoof and pawed at the strap for a moment. "uhm..." she turned a helpless look at her hosts.

Sunset Shimmer smiled. "Here, let me get that for you" she said, and Luna gaped as the unicorn's horn lit up with a red glow. At the same time, her bag started glowing and the strap unbuckled by itself, the bag opening and all the paperwork started flying out, surrounded by the same red glow as they hovered in front of Sunset.

"... Convenient," Luna managed.

"I know~" Sunset crooned, flipping through the notes and books as they hovered in front of her. "I can't believe how I never realized how much I missed this."

Luna Shook off her surprise -and with considerably more effort her bouncing curiosity- at seeing real, actual magic on display in a not-deadly situation for a change. "Unfortunately, we weren't able to find any of your schoolbooks or notes in your locker."

Sunset's smile faltered. "Ah, no you wouldn't. I left those in my apartment."

"I see. Would you like for me to get them?"

Sunset Shimmer bit her lip and seriously seemed to consider the offer, but after a moment she shook her head. "No, I think I can get them myself."

"Are you sure, Sunset? You didn't seem to be very comfortable with the idea of returning this morning." Princess Twilight asked.

Sunset Shimmer gave the Princess a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "It's just a quick trip to get my school stuff. In and out, with a bit of luck nobody will notice."

It was obvious to Luna that Princess Twilight wasn't really comfortable letting Sunset Shimmer go, but she didn't stop her either.

"You're going now?"

"Might as well get it over with," Sunset answered with a shrug as she made her way over to the portal. The fiery coloured mare seemed to pause at the mirror, taking one deep breath and letting it out before jumping through.

Luna watched the ripples on the mirror recede until Princess Twilight spoke.

"I hope she doesn't land into more problems before we can start to fix the current ones."

"I think you've already started fixing them, your Highness," Luna returned. The Princess hummed an unsure agreement.

"This does give me the chance to broach a subject that would have been a bit more embarrassing if Sunset was still here, though," Luna said.

"What is it?"

"I- that is, my sister and I, may not have given Sunset Shimmer the kind of attention a girl like her needs."

Princess Twilight tilted her head. "Meaning?"

"Well, we are human, and she is a unicorn. Not to mention she is from Equestria, a world with its own culture, and we really have no idea how much this difference matters."

Princess Twilight tilted her head. "I thought we were pretty similar. Sure, there are so many things in your world is so much different, and so many things I want to ask questions about, like those smart phones or cars or how a world without magic can even function..." the young Princess let her eyes roam for a moment as she imagined how that might work. "But, when I first got to your world I also found how much we had in common. Our worlds may be different, but I don't think we are."

Luna couldn't help but smile at the conviction radiating from the purple pony in front of. She hoped the Princess would not lose that optimism as she grew up. "Thank you for your confidence, your Highness, but all the same I would hope to learn more about your people, if only to make sure Sunset gets all the help she needs."

Princess Twilight beamed a smile of pride and gratitude. "Let me see what I can do."

The Princess closed her eyes, but remained seated. Before Luna could ask what was going on, her horn lit up in a magenta glow, and books started floating off the shelves rounding the library and circled around their table. Princess Twilight opened her eyes and scanned the books.

"Hmm, Ancient Equestria goes into history but doesn't have enough on modern culture... The Three Tribes and Their Skills is more about practical use of abilities... Hearth's Warming Tale fits the season but isn't much for culture studies... Oh, here we go, 'A Guide to Equestria: Customs and Traditions.' A popular book for tourists, I hear it's been selling really well in the Crystal Empire after its return.

Luna nodded politely at the unfamiliar name as the book in question hovered towards her in a magenta field of energy. It kept hovering in front of her and Luna hesitantly reached out with her hooves, only to yank them back right before a ripple in the field could hit them.

Princess Twilight chuckled behind a hoof. "Don't worry, it's just a magic field. It won't harm you."

Luna blushed and felt her ears go flat against her head. She reached out with her hooves again, this time with less hesitation, and clamped the book between her two forehooves. The field surrounding it vanished and the weight of the book dropped in her hooves. She lowered the book to the table and carefully wedged the cover open with a hoof, and stared at the unfamiliar characters.

"Uhm, Princess? I... might have forgotten about a little problem that I really shouldn't have."

"Hmm?" The Princess glanced over at Luna's lightly sheepish face, and her eyes widened and ears twitched in realization. "Oh! That's right, and just after Sunset and I had the same problem. Don't worry though! You've actually come right on time." A pair of glasses floated over to Luna, and settled on her muzzle. "Sunset and I just finished enchanting these just before you came. Try it now."

Luna blinked to adjust to the glasses, noticing the lack of a prescription strength. She turned back to the book... and read.

She couldn't explain how, the writing was still alien to her, but somehow she understood what it said. There was no knowledge of the letters, the grammar or syntax pumped into her head, she just... understood what she was reading as if someone was translating the text in her brain. She lifted the glasses up and the understanding vanished. She still remembered what she had read before, but could no longer connect the words she remembered to the text she had read. The moment she lowered her glasses back to her muzzle, the understanding returned.

"Is it working?" the Princess asked, almost bouncing in her seat.

"I- I can read this. I don't know the language, but I can read it." She looked back up to Princess Twilight. "How?"

The Princess sat up straight and proud. "It's a variant on a translation spell we have. The glasses translate the understanding of the intent behind the writing, so you're not technically reading the text, you're reading what the author tried to convey through the text."

"...Would it work on any language?" Luna asked. Princess Twilight tilted her head.

"It should. Why do you ask?"

Luna worked her jaw for a moment wondering how to reply to that. The Princess had just given her professors of many a field's dream. Even if the glasses didn't translate text directly, just being able to understand what was written would make translating a language infinitely easier. "I... can't quite express what an academic gift these are. Do you think the Queen would approve of you just giving this to me?"

"Uhm... I guess? We just created these today, but the spells used for them aren't restricted so I don't see a problem?" Princess Twilight answered in confusion. "What Queen, though?"

Luna returned the confusion with a blink. "The Queen of Equestria? This Kingdom's ruling monarch?"

Princess Twilight brightened in understanding, and she chuckled. "Oh! Oh, don't worry. We don't have a Queen."

"Really? But Sunset always made it sound like Equestria was a Kingdom."

Princess Twilight nodded. "It is. Well, Principality might be a better description. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna never adopted higher titles when they ascended the dual throne. Neither did Cadance, even though she could technically call herself an Empress nowadays, what with her being the ruler of the Crystal Empire and all."

Luna felt an icy chill creeping up her spine. "Wait, so a Princess in Equestria holds the same amount of power a King or Queen would in another nation?"

The Princess tilted her head. "Well... yes? I mean, there's still the more symbolic use of the title. Prince Blueblood comes to mind. But generally, alicorn Princesses rule Equestria."

"Alicorns?" Luna asked, the chill creeping up a bit more.

"Ponies with both a horn and wings." Princess Twilight answered.

"Your Highness..." Luna carefully ventured "...you have both a horn and wings."

"Aaahh," the Princess said, turning and raising one of her wings to take a look at it. "Would you believe I'd had these only for a few days when I first visited you?"

"But you just said that ponies with both horns and wings rule Equestria."

"Well, the actual balance of power and influence is a teeny bit more complicated than that -Celestia has a lot more practical influence than any of us after having ruled Equestria for the last thousand years- but on paper all four of us share an equal amount of authority." Princess Twilight wrinkled her nose. "Which still sounds incredibly weird to say."

Luna took a deep breath to calm her mind. "I apologize for flying off the handle like that, your Highness. It's just that as a teacher it feels incredibly..." she paused a moment as she tried to choose her words carefully "...premature to put so much responsibility on the shoulders of someone your age."

Princess Twilight raised her head up high, her face turning into a look of confusion mixed with... indignation? Luna bit her tongue inside her mouth, praying she hadn't stepped on a diplomatic landline by questioning royalty.

"I know I am the youngest Princess right now, but Cadance was barely into her teens when she ascended."

"... Teens?" Luna parroted, as a few more puzzle pieces started sliding into place.

"Hmm-hmm, I was still deep in my studies at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns back then. I wouldn't have had the time for Princess duties, much less the knowledge of friendship!"

"So you've finished your schooling, then?" Luna asked as she put the book she was holding away. The pieces were starting to form a picture that she wasn't quite sure she believed.

Princess Twilight nodded. "Oh yes, top marks. I was considering a further field study into Starswirl's magical theorems, but then Predictions and Prophesies distracted me, I got sent to Ponyville and everything just sort of tumbled on from there until I got these," she spread her wings and pointed at them, "as well as this," she said as she waved her hoof around in a wide arc, and Luna realized she meant the palace.

Luna swallowed, momentarily hesitating on whether or not this was a polite question to ask of alien royalty, but if her hunch was right then she and her sister might have misunderstood Sunset's predicament even more than they'd thought.

"Princess Twilight..." Luna began hesitantly. "Forgive me for asking a potentially rude question, but... how old are you?"

"Huh?" Princess Twilight lowered her wings and hooves and looked at Luna in confusion. "I turned 24 this year. Why?"

"And Sunset Shimmer?"

Princess Twilight seemed to ponder that question for a moment. "I never really asked her about her age before, but given that she was Princess Celestia's student before me, and from what I gathered she disappeared before she'd finished her studies... I'm going to say in her early 30's."

The last pieces fell into place, and Luna let her head hit the table with a loud thunk as she groaned. "So she's almost as old as me? If not just as old?"

"I guess? Is... that a bad thing?" Princess Twilight asked, shifting around on her pillow as she started to realize something might have been misunderstood.

"Your Highness, Canterlot High is a high school, both junior and senior. Our students run between 12 to 17 years old, and Sunset Shimmer herself is listed as 15, around the same age as her friends and classmates."

When she saw Princess Twilight's eyes go wide and jaw drop, Luna realized that the Princess hadn't realized this , nor had Sunset shared it, so she decided not to push the Princess on it. This did help answer a few questions though, like how a supposed teenager had ran circles around the faculty for years, but at the same time it raised others as well.

"Do you have any idea how this happened?" she asked.

That seemed to snap the Princess out of her shock. It only took a moment of pondering, during which the Princess's eyes narrowed in thought and her ears lowered, before they perked back up again and Princess Twilight's eyes had taken on a scholarly seriousness. "Likely the portal's transformation spell. It applies a transformation that is intended to blend into the crowd, so with the entrance close to a school's worth of teenagers, a teenager would best blend into the closest crowd." The Princess groaned and rubbed her temples with her hooves. "I didn't spend a lot of time with the other teachers, and you and Princess Celestia are taller than the average pony over here as well, so I just assumed the length and build of the bodies was the norm for people on the other side of the mirror."

"Fooled by your own camouflage?" Luna jabbed lightly, and smiled when the Princess chuckled.

"I guess," she giggled, then groaned. "Ooooh, this is going to be so embarrassing next time I meet the girls on the other side. I've been treating them like they were of the same age as their counterparts over here."

"Is that also why you left Sunset Shimmer in their care?" Luna asked.

"Yes, it's not the first time we've had a reformed villain in our midst over here so I thought they'd be up to the challenge to take care of a..." she twirled her hoof in the air "...misguided mare."

"If I may, I think you might have jumped to a conclusion there."

The Princess laid her chin on the table and groaned again. "You're right. I was just so caught up in the uncanniness of your world," she said, and let out a deep sigh. "We need to get the girls around a table, all of them, and talk things over. Even if we don't catch Anon-a-Miss yet, we can't leave this fighting and arguing lying around to fester."

"Do you think Sunset is up for that?" Luna asked.

Princess Twilight sat upright again, and for some reason her posture was just a bit more regal, her eyes hardening just a tinge. Not with anger, but with strength and determination. "No, she isn't. Not after her reaction to this world's Rarity this morning. Nothing bad!" she quickly added as Luna's eyes had widened and ears had unwittingly perked in alarm. "She just had a bit of a panic moment and teleported back to the castle from the local spa. But it does show me that she needs a bit more time to calm down."

"Yes, my sister and I agree on that. I know we've asked this before, but please take care of her. At least for the holidays."

The Princess smiled. "Don't worry, I will. Though I will admit I'm also doing this out of selfishness as well. At least a bit." Princess Twilight looked down at her hooves for a moment before she continued. "I hadn't really seen Sunset since the Battle of the Bands. We talked over the journal, and sometimes I popped over for a quick visit now that the portal is stable, but it was always just short visits, and always there. I've asked her to come visit me a few times, but she's always refused. Now that she's here... I want to use this opportunity to let Sunset reconnect with her homeworld." She chuckled. "Just this morning Sunset realized she had her magic again. She was so fascinated by it, it was like she was a filly who learned her first spell. And it's selfish, no matter how many other reasons I have, but to a unicorn our magic is like your hands are to you, and it felt so strange to see her so excited about something that should be natural to her.

The Princess sighed. "Not to mention the reason she hasn't accepted my invitations is that she is still running away from the things that made her leave. I'm hoping that by letting her reconnect to Equestria, she can take another step to move on from the past. Maybe not now, but I'm hoping to at least give her a little nudge in the right direction."

Luna nodded in agreement. "That sounds like a good idea. I have noticed Sunset spends a lot of time writing to you in her journal, so perhaps spending some time in her homelands is just what she needs. It also gives Sunset an alternative, should the worst happen and we can't clear her name."

"Please don't say that," the Princess said, reaching out to lay a comforting hoof on Luna's own. "I know things are rough now, but true friendship is a strong thing that can't be destroyed by deception so easily. We'll make things right, I promise on my title as Princess of Friendship."

"you're really set on helping her through all this, aren't you?" Luna asked.

Princess Twilight Sparkle smiled in return. "I'm the Princess of Friendship, and Sunset is my friend. It's what I do."

Luna felt the warm hoof of the Princess on her own, the alicorn's eyes reflecting confidence and kindness. It was... uplifting. Looking into those eyes Luna could almost feel some of that confidence pouring into her, stoking the embers of her own confidence in Sunset Shimmer.

Perhaps there was something more special to this alicorn Princess thing than Luna first thought.

Author's Note:

Blargh blah, this chapter took inexcusably long to write. I was constantly waiting for those moments where I had a day to just sit down and write, but I kept getting distracted by other things every time those days came around. Plutarikian suggesting sitting in a quiet space like a library, but usually it's things on my computer that keep distracting me.

I really should work on something like a writing schedule. Something like "X number of words per day" or somesuch. How do you guys manage writing schedules?

Anyway, on this chapter, I know a lot of people were hoping for Luna meets Luna, but I honestly couldn't think of a good reason for Princess Luna to show up, and trying to make a scenario just felt like forcing it for the sake of having Princess Luna in the scene, so I ended up scrapping the idea. I also don't think I've ever written the word Princess as much as I did this chapter, but this chapter was from Luna's perspective, and that's how Luna sees Twilight.

Also, thinking on the subject of ages once again made me remember Equestria Girls Makes No Sense. Much as I love the EQGverse, not much thought was put into the logic of the first movie's story. Twilight gets turned into a teenager when she goes to CHS, but Sunset is also a teenager? Despite Sunset having to be older than Twilight due to being Celestia's student before she ran off, and Twilight being only a filly? And how did she even know about Twilight? Or where to steal the crown? She's never been to the Crystal Empire!

Sense you make none, movie!

So yeah, this is my headcanon to solve that little age conundrum.

Well, that's it for this chapter. I'll endeavour to shorten the time between chapters from now on, because this was just too long. In the meantime, Happy Hearth's Warming everyone!