• Published 3rd Jun 2017
  • 6,176 Views, 1,283 Comments

Cosmic Lotus - Goldfur



The Anomaly was a star in the Equestrian night sky that was unlike all the others in the heavens. Advances in science and magic had only deepened the mystery. Finally it was decided to send a starship to learn what they could. This is their story.

  • ...
25
 1,283
 6,176

Voyage To A Blue Planet

Wandering kept one eye and one ear attuned to what was going on at the new helm. Although it was unlikely that he would ever need to pilot the starship, as the head of the Cosmic Lotus mission and Captain of the ship, it was his responsibility to have a working knowledge of most of the ship’s systems. He would schedule a proper training session with M’Ranna later, but at least this way he would not go into it cold.

The alicorn found it harder than normal to pay attention though. His eyes kept being drawn to the main screen which showed the view of stars seemingly zipping past them as they travelled at speeds far faster than light. Of course, as Boyce and the other Federation starship crew had explained, this was merely an artefact of travelling in hyperspace, and stars were not actually speeding past them. However, it was infinitely more satisfying than staring at blue-shifted stars all bunched together in front of the ship while travelling at relativistic velocity. He got a real sense of movement and progress this way. At last the Lotus was truly able to fly among the stars!

After the journey had settled down into a routine, Wandering left Bluequill in charge and headed to the Engineering Department. There he found a smugly satisfied Radiance Point examining the performance of their warp drive. While the actual warp mechanism was located in the nacelles that had been adapted to the Cosmic Lotus’ mast mounting points, it had one major modification that was unique to the Equian ship. Unlike the Federation starships that were powered by antimatter reactors, the Lotus tapped its mini-star for energy for the power-hungry engines. While the technology of handling the hideously dangerous antimatter was a mature science, it was still far more risky than their own method. Apastron, the Star Fleet engineer who had been assigned to their ship for the duration of the trip, had been awed by the thaumaturgical marvel but questioned how long it could keep up the supply of so much energy. When it had been explained to hir that it had been designed to supply power to the ship for a minimum journey of forty-two years each way and with a safety margin bringing it to over twice that, shi was far less concerned. In fact, shi and Point were now engaged in designing new systems that could marry Federation and Equian technology to improve both.

Wandering discovered Point with Apastron who turned out to be one of the Starwalker foxtaurs who had worked with the unicorn during the refit and who had volunteered to accompany the Lotus during its shakedown voyage. Helen Baines had joined them, hir knack for understanding new technologies being an asset to their efforts to adapt two different systems into one new and improved version. After gaining their attention, the alicorn asked for a report.

Point replied with a hugely satisfied smile. “The system is working perfectly, Captain. The power conduits to the warp engines are coping exactly to spec and the warp field is stable. Since the engines are rugged and highly reliable, there is very little that we have to do on top of our regular work.” He gestured to a monitor screen which displayed the view from a camera mounted on the hull at the rear of the craft. It showed two of the three warp engines which had been fixed into position at 120° to each other, thereby creating an even warp field around the ship. The nacelles glowed blue along their length as the energy made its way through them to be converted into space-time contortion fields that let them slide into hyperspace and out of the tyranny of the limits of light-speed. “These little beauties will get us to Earth in thirty-four days. That sure beats the years it would have taken us previously.”

“It sure does,” Wandering replied, “although Boyce tells me that commercial ships can do the journey in only about twelve days, and the Pegasus can do it half of that.”

“Well, sure – any ship designed for the purpose will do better than our adapted version, but what Apastron, Helen, and I are working on could blow even the Admiral’s ship out of the cosmos. The Federation knows nothing about magitek, and with the efficiencies introduced by our technology, interstellar travel will become even more practical and cost-effective.”

Wandering smirked. “I can see that you’re enjoying yourself, Point. Just let me remind you that I won’t let you overwork yourself anymore.”

Point glanced at Apastron who grinned back at him innocently. “Okay, Captain – I get the hint.” He had no intention of letting the black-furred foxtaur stun him into compliance again.

“Excellent. I’ll check back with you tomorrow to see what your brainstorming session has achieved. Have fun.” Wandering then headed off to his next destination.

The mana-beasts that they had rescued from the Swarm ship had been turned over to the Cosmic Lotus for the time being due to the need for the creatures to feed on mana occasionally. Until the Federation authorities could provide a substitute, Wandering had volunteered to take care of the animals. He had put them into the capable hooves of Traveling Soul so that the biologist could study the remarkable creatures during the journey. The unicorn stallion greeted the alicorn with an excited smile.

“Captain! When you first fed the mana-beasts, what was the state of your emotions?”

Wandering blinked, taken by surprise by the question. He tried to recall the incident. “Umm… I think that I was pleased by their apparent friendliness despite their timidity. Why?”

Traveling Soul pointed with a hoof to a changeling assistant who was currently cuddling one of the animals like you would a cat, stroking it with a smile on her face. “Quinza tells me that the mana-beast is empathically sending feelings of pleasure at her. It does the same when I’m the one that it’s feeding on. It’s my hypothesis that not only do the mana-beasts feed upon sources such as us, they make us feel good about it. Of course, changelings feed upon the positive emotion, so they get as much from the mana-beasts as the creatures get from our love-eating crew.”

Wandering considered that idea and nodded in agreement. It made sense that the mana-beasts could secure their mana sources by making other creatures desire to be with them. It made them less like parasites and more like symbionts that provided less tangible benefits. “Have you discovered any downsides to this yet?”

“Not so far. In fact, Quinza wants to keep one as a pet, and she reckons that there will be requests from other changelings for the remainder.”

“Well, I’d rather that we study them a bit more before I agree to that, but I will leave it to your professional assessment as to whether that’s a good idea. Carry on and let me know what you find out.”

“Will do, Captain.”

Wandering continued on his tour of the ship, making sure that everyone was firmly back on task. He was pleased to find that morale was high all round after having shore leave for the past couple of weeks. That made Willow’s task a lot easier, although the changeling was fairly bursting with new material that he had acquired during his stay on Chakona. The alicorn could tell that they were in for a treat when Willow gave his next show.

Satisfied with the state of the ship, Wandering went back to the bridge where he stayed until the end of the shift.


Wandering rendezvoused with Starry before they headed off together towards the mess hall. Before they reached their destination though, they heard the sounds of conflict coming from the room. The first thing that either heard clearly was an outraged squawk.

“Shi is not worthy of you!”

The two alicorns hastened their pace and were confronted by the sight of a female griffon glaring at Helen who was taking refuge behind hir betrothed. Ortzi was visibly angry, his wings flared to block any attempt by the she-griff to approach the rabbit.

“You have no right to tell me who is worthy or not, Stroya Redwing!” Ortzi snarled back.

“There are better mates aboard this ship than that alien!” Stroya spat back.

“Like you? Ha! As if I would be more interested in your old-fashioned traditionalist ways than the love of my betrothed.”

“Shi isn’t even a female! Shi is an obscene mix of two sexes!”

“How does that even matter? How does that make you better than hir?!”

“I belong to an ancient and honorable bloodline. You could do no better than to join the House of Redwing!”

“I wasn’t ever interested in joining your Griffonian House – why does it matter to you now?”

“You do every hen dishonor by choosing an alien over one of us. You have ignored all of us for years and yet take that as a mate in just a few weeks.” Stroya pointed accusingly at Helen who shrank back further out of sight.

“That still doesn’t explain why you, in particular, want me. I am no noble Griffonian – I am an Equestrian griff.”

“You are an Equestrian griff allied with House Path. House Redwing would gain much status if we were to be wed.”

“That’s it? You just want me for your damned stupid status?” Ortzi sneered. “I only joined House Path to learn my trade and learn how to fight in the defense of those I care for. I’m not in it for the social standing. I am a warrior-scholar, not a status-seeking Griffonian!”

There were some angry squawks from the other Griffonian cat-birds and one of them stepped forward to confront Ortzi.

“Watch your tongue, Goldbeak. That is not all that the Griffonian Houses are; you know that. We are Equestria’s Shield and the world’s peacekeepers. We have earned our status.”

“You don’t get it, Marlo – I’m in this relationship with Helen because I have fallen in love with hir, but you and Stroya and the rest of you Griffonians look at your precious rankings and status before even considering a relationship!”

“That is not true,” Marlo replied coldly. “And if Stroya seeks you as a mate, then I must challenge you to prove that I am the better choice.”

Stroya shot Marlo a sharp look. “Why do you wish to be my mate? You would gain nothing by it – we are equally ranked.”

“If nothing else – to prove my point. But if I must spell it out, then I will do so. I have wanted you as a mate for years, but you have ignored me as much as Ortzi ignored you. I uphold the values of Griffonians while he flaunts his taste for the bizarre. I am a respected warrior and skilled professional. I could give you chicks who will grow to be great and powerful, while you could not say the same as this Equestrian!”

“You’re mighty full of yourself, aren’t you, Marlo?” Ortzi said with contempt. “Even after over a century of being allied with Equestria, you still hold yourself to be superior to Equestrian griffs.”

“Because we are superior. You are too soft from living among ponies all your life.”

“Ha! Stroya wants me as a mate because of my association with House Path – a noble House created and originally led by a pony. Ponies went from being used as slaves to being sought for alliances. Griffonians with pony mates are becoming more common every decade!”

“House Path ponies earned their rank and status. You have yet to prove yourself in our eyes. I challenge you to do so!”

“Are you challenging me to a duel for the right to court Stroya? You can have her, for all I care.”

Stroya spoke up. “I will accept no suit from Marlo unless he proves himself against the one I seek.”

Marlo nodded. “Ortzi Goldbeak, you have done me, Stroya, and all Griffonians dishonor! I challenge you to an honor duel to the blood!”

Wandering had heard enough, and he started to step forward to intervene but was brought to a halt by the outstretched talons of Commander Bluequill.

“Stay out of this, Captain,” he said quietly.

The alicorn frowned at his second-in-command. “Why should I, Galen? This fight could have serious consequences for the entire crew.”

“I am a Griffonian, sir. I understand my fellow Griffonians better than you could ever do so, and this needs to be brought out into the open. I do not approve of Ortzi’s choice, but I recognize that it’s his choice to make. However, other Griffonians must see Ortzi defend his choice before they will respect it too. You are right in saying that there will be consequences, but whatever the outcome, it will be for the best.”

“I am no stranger to honor duels – this could get very bad. We are on a starship where the crew dynamics can be negatively affected,” Wandering protested.

“If you cannot respect Griffonian ways, then they will be affected anyway. Trust me, Captain – let it go.”

Reluctantly, the alicorn took the Commander’s advice. In the meantime, the two male griffons had been glaring at each other; one waiting for a response and the other considering what that response would be. Eventually, Ortzi replied.

“I am no Griffonian who is beholden to your archaic system, but I accept your challenge.”

Marlo screeched, “Clear the room!”

Ponies and changelings rushed to leave the room. However, the Griffonians set about pushing the chairs and tables to the side to open an arena for the two combatants.

Ortzi led a slightly shocked Helen over to Wandering. “Captain – please look after my betrothed.”

Wandering nodded. “Shi will safe with me.”

Helen said, “Are they really going to fight over me?”

“Yes, but not just you. They are fighting over their principles. If you are going to be Ortzi’s mate, you are going to have to learn to live with that sort of thing. This is a bit extreme, I admit, but as Commander Bluequill assures me, it’s for the best. Still…” He turned to Starry who seemed to be stunned at the turn of events. “Could you alert Doctor Zubon to have a team ready. We’re going to need them.”

Starry nodded and left without a word.

The furniture had all been moved and the Griffonians made a ring around the open area. Much as they had done during the Cosmic Games, they made an arena for the duel, but unlike the formal bouts with strict rules to prevent serious harm, the forthcoming duel not only had no restrictions, but it would only end when one combatant was weakened by blood loss so much that they could fight no longer. Like all those raised in the Path family, Wandering was hardened to this Griffonian tradition, even if he did not like it. He would stay to witness the fight and, hopefully, know what best to do in the aftermath.

Eon had appeared from seemingly nowhere. While the dracopony had a light-hearted approach to his job, he was nevertheless very good at it, and it did not surprise Wandering that Eon had been on the spot to react in whichever way was necessary, and it seemed that the dragon had already decided what that would be.

“Do you accept me as the referee for your honor duel?” Eon asked sternly.

“I do,” Marlo replied.

“Me too,” Ortzi answered.

“This is your final chance to revoke your challenge. Marlo Firefeather – do you withdraw your challenge?”

“I do not.”

“Ortzi Goldbeak – do you refuse his challenge?”

“No, I don’t.”

“The challenge is made and accepted, and it can only be satisfied with blood. On my mark, the duel will begin and you will fight until I determine that one of you cannot continue. You will not involve the witnesses and there will not be any fatal blows, but otherwise, there are no rules. Take your places.”

The contestants backed up to opposite ends of the arena while Eon took a place with the watchers midway between the two. There was a tense pause as they awaited the signal, and then with a burst of flame from his nostrils, Eon roared, “Begin!

Both griffons leapt at each other, but while Marlo instinctively used his wings to gain height on his opponent, Ortzi sacrificed height for speed, causing the challenger to slightly overshoot even as Ortzi twisted and raked Marlo’s belly with his talons. The fiery-plumed griffon screeched in pain, but when Ortzi tried to take advantage of his initial blow, Marlo was ready for him, and their engagement was frenzied but relatively bloodless. The combatants burst apart and stood glaring at each other for a long moment before they leapt back into the fray.

As the fight progressed, Wandering noted that Marlo was indeed the competent warrior that he had boasted, but Ortzi was the more disciplined. House Path training was showing through in Ortzi’s moves, and he was taking far less damage than his challenger, opting for more defensive moves which tempted Marlo to attack a bit more recklessly and frequently paying the price for doing so. While both the griffons were bloodied and torn, it was clear that Marlo’s attacks were weakening while Ortzi kept to his steady strategy. Not for nothing had he come second only to Bluequill in the Cosmic Games, and that only barely losing to the older and more experienced warrior.

Ortzi grappled with Marlo and threw him to the floor. The audience heard the bone snap in the wing that broke the griffon’s fall, but Marlo still struggled to regain his footing. However, blood dripped in steady streams from his feathers and down the fur of his legs, and its loss was beginning to tell. He was not able to defend himself in time when Ortzi followed up with a raking slash down Marlo’s flank and he collapsed once more. With fresh wounds spilling his life blood away, he still tried to get up. This time Ortzi stood back and merely watched as his opponent rose on trembling legs to face him, only to collapse with a groan.

A gout of flame accompanied a roar of: “Halt! This duel is concluded!”

As Ortzi sank to the floor with a sigh and the medical staff stepped into the arena to attend the wounded, Eon continued. “By the laws of Griffonian honor duels, all that belongs to Marlo Firefeather is now Ortzi Goldbeak’s and the winner’s status gives him the right to declare that his choice of mate is worthy. Let all here bear witness!”

Wandering smiled to himself. Eon had ensured that Helen would not receive any more trouble from the Griffonians despite their views on interspecies relationships. They would suffer loss of face if they tried. Still, there was the matter of Marlo and Stroya to deal with. He stepped up to the hen that had precipitated the conflict.

“I hope that this will bring an end to your attempts to court Ortzi.”

Stroya did not meet Wandering’s eyes. “His status is greater than mine now – I cannot be the one to ask anymore.”

“This obsession with status is the cause of much of your problems. I would suggest that you stop looking for a mate solely on the basis of that.”

Stroya looked at him then, and he was surprised to see tears welling in her eyes. “I did not get a mate in the decade that we spent getting here – what do you think my chances are now?”

Wandering smiled gently. “Excellent I would say.” He looked over to where Marlo was being treated – magic spells closing his wounds and blood transfusions started to replace his losses. “Of all the Griffonians here, only one stepped up to defend your values.”

“Marlo? He has lost status and all he owns; how would I benefit from mating with him?”

“Because he offers something that only a true potential mate can offer. If you can learn to understand that, then you may start to understand why Ortzi fought for Helen, why Coldfire loves Xanth, and why Starry and I are mates. Think about it, Stroya. The only one stopping you is you.” With his piece said, Wandering left the she-griff to her thoughts.


Wandering was unwinding in his stateroom with Starry and Bluequill. The stallion had broken out his stash of Sweet Apple Acres cider and they were quietly enjoying the drink. Eventually, Wandering spoke up.

“So – was it worth it, Galen?”

The griffon gravely nodded. “I believe it was, Captain. Without the duel, tensions would have simmered and caused more problems. The consequences could have been much worse than under controlled conditions. Instead, everything has been resolved immediately and out in the open. Some may not like the resolution, but they will accept it.”

“Like you?” Wandering asked pointedly.

“I am an old conservative, sir. I don’t believe that Ortzi’s relationship is appropriate, but unlike some others, I am prepared to accept the realities of life. He and Helen love each other, as incomprehensible as I find that to be, and their happiness is a benefit to the crew overall. It will probably be important to our relationship with the Stellar Federation too. If two very different people from two different worlds can find love, then that tells me that Equus and the Federation may be very good allies.”

Wandering nodded. “I can agree with that.”

Starry asked slyly, “What if rabbit morphs like Helen prove themselves like Long Path did long ago? Would you accept Helen as being a worthy mate for a griffon then?”

“Of course,” Bluequill replied unabashedly. “Then they will have proven that they respect our values and traditions.”

Wandering chuckled. “We grew up spending half our lives in Griffonia, and yet we still have things to learn.” He refilled their glasses and raised his glass in a toast. “To you, Galen, and to your honorable values.”


The Cosmic Lotus was still a day away from Earth when Wandering decided to pay a visit to Techbird. Aside from some sporadic bursts of activity on the changeling network, the Chief Scientist had been unusually quiet. Suspiciously quiet. He decided that it would be best to find out what was happening before they reached their destination and hopefully deal with the situation if necessary.

Wandering reached Techbird’s office and was about to knock on the door when his ears picked up sounds coming from within. Familiar sounds. Crooning and chittering. He quietly backed off and used his personal comm to connect to Techbird’s office instead. It took a long moment before he got a reply.

Oh, Captain – what can I do for you?

“I’d like to make an appointment to see you in about half an hour, Tech.”

Oh. Okay. You don’t usually make appointments, Wandering.

“This time, I think I had better.”

Very well. I will see you at 2:15, shall we say?

“That would be perfect. Wandering out.” He shut off his comm and waited. It did not take long for the crooning and chittering to resume. He grinned and left to find something else to do for the next half hour. Hopefully, that would be enough time for them.

Wandering returned at the appointed time and found the door open this time. He nevertheless knocked on the door before entering. He found Techbird studying some equations on her desk monitor, while Galena was comfortably seated on a lounge cushion on the other side of the desk. They both gave him an innocent smile which he returned as he sat down.

“What is it that you wanted to see me about, Captain?” Techbird asked.

“Considering how you spent your time while we were on Chakona, I suspect that you know the answer to that, Tech.”

The crystal griffoness grinned. “I was intending to surprise you, but it seems you’ve gotten to know me too well.”

“So, what discoveries have you made?”

“Do you remember when I first described a method of going faster than light which Admiral Kline called an Alcubierre Drive?”

“I do.”

“I was determined to uncover the secrets behind faster than light travel, and while on Chakona, I researched a number of their sciences, but in particular their warp drive technology. Like many other aspects of their pure sciences, it omitted thaumaturgy as a factor.”

“That doesn’t surprise me. What happens when you do account for it?”

Techbird’s expression took on a sly look. “You know how quickly we are travelling to Earth as compared to how quickly the Admiral’s ship can do it?”

“Yes – thirty-four days as against about six,” Wandering replied.

“How would you like it if we could reverse that ratio?”

Wandering grinned broadly. “I would like that very much. Can you do that to Cosmic Lotus?”

Techbird shook her head. “I can tweak the existing set-up with the assistance of Radiance Point and his team, and that would give us a significant but still unimpressive boost. This new drive would have to be constructed specifically to suit the craft, but it would make it practical to explore the length and breadth of this galaxy.” She paused and then continued with a triumphant smile. “And perhaps even other galaxies!”

The alicorn was stunned. Even he had not dared to consider that possibility. “Techbird, you continue to astound me. You have achieved so much in so little time.”

The griffoness tried to look modest. “The Federation had already done 99% of the work – I just factored in the knowledge about which they were completely ignorant.”

“Yes, so easy,” Wandering replied drolly. “You’re going to have the Federation coming begging to you for this breakthrough.”

“Only if you tell them. I think the Equian space program needs a boost first, don’t you think?” Techbird suggested slyly.

Wandering smiled. “Yes, it would be good to be able to meet the Federation on more equal technological terms. Equus is just one small world against a mighty civilization – we do not want to get overwhelmed by it.” The alicorn took to heart lessons learned earlier in his life when exploring Equus. He had seen small tribes swallowed up by the growing union of nations and losing their identity. While the people were generally better off, some precious culture and individuality had been sacrificed. He did not want the same to happen to Equians.

“Don’t trade away our advantage when you talk with the Federation Council, Wandering. They need our help against the Swarm, so don’t let them buy it with trinkets.”

“When did you get so concerned about such things, Tech? Science has been your reason for existence since I have known you, and that’s my entire life.”

Techbird glanced over to where Galena was quietly listening to their conversation. “I found another reason, Captain.”

Wandering nodded in understanding. “So what are you planning to do next?”

“When we drop out of warp and we can communicate with Equus once more, I will transmit all my findings to Princess Twilight and her research team. In the meantime, I will work on my Question again in light of my new research.”

“Sounds like a plan. Good luck, Tech.” Wandering got up and headed out of the office.

Galena gave Techbird a curious look. “What is this Question you spoke of?”

“The Question was my only reason for keeping alive as long as I have.”

Galena blushed profusely.


Twenty-two hours later, Cosmic Lotus dropped out of warp and switched to impulse drive. On the bridge’s main screen was displayed a beautiful blue and white marble in the blackness of space.

The comm came to life. “Pegasus to Cosmic Lotus – welcome to Planet Earth.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Airy Words for his usual pre-reading advice. :twilightsmile: