• Published 31st May 2017
  • 1,825 Views, 59 Comments

Dear Princess Twilight.... - Rose Quill



A collection of letters from Sunset Shimmer to Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
3
 59
 1,825

Homesick

Dear Princess Twilight,

I know it’s been a while since we’ve talked. I just got back earlier today from that camping trip I told you about, and let me tell you, it was not what I expected at all.

As per usual, Equestrian magic made another hyped-up threat that we had to deal with. Amazingly, in a cave we found a handful of geode crystals, one for each of us that not only gave us our own unique powers, it also changed our pony forms into some sort of armored type apparel. If it wasn’t so funny, I’d think we were in an issue of Power Ponies!

We all got something interesting and somewhat connected to our pony counterparts, I assume. Twilight can move things with her mind and Rarity can create shield constructs, just as we can as Unicorns. I can pick up on memories and feelings, though I’m not sure why. Dash got souped up speed and Fluttershy can now literally talk to animals. AJ is even stronger than normal now and Pinkie…

Well, Pinkie can make things explode. I know what you’re thinking, and it terrifies me as well.

But that’s not the only thing that happened while we were out there.

Spending all that time out in the woods, miles away from the concrete jungle that makes up Canterlot, I realized how much I miss scenery like that.

I’ve felt this before but it’s only hit me this strong once before, just after you left prior to the Friendship games.

I’m homesick.

I miss Equestria. I miss running through the grass on my hooves, feeling magic surging through my horn as I do anything. I miss my family, and I miss that warm smile that Princess Celestia always had for us when we got a puzzle solved just like she knew we could.

I miss home.

I mean, this place has been home to me for the last handful of years and I love the girls and I’ve set down a root or two. It’s slowly becoming home.

But if this is home, why do I feel out of place?

It’s silly, I know, but I miss those tasks, you know, the mythic creatures exam all third years had to take? That was probably my favorite course. If I hadn’t gotten all ambitious I might have gone into animal husbandry.

That reminds me, Fluttershy wanted to know if you could bring her a book on dragons the next time you visit.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to know if I was under some sort of rule of law preventing me from just coming back for a little while. You know, just popping through and enjoying a day to take the edge off?

But yeah, there it is. I know this isn’t exactly a friendship report or asking for some advice on some magical problem, but I wanted to vent this to someone that would understand and wouldn’t worry like the girls might.

Thanks for listening,

Your friend (and student)

Sunset Shimmer


Dear Sunset Shimmer

Silly filly, you can always come visit. If you were feeling this homesick you should have said something sooner!

I did a little research - big shocker, huh? - and as near as I can tell you’re under a self-imposed exile, which means there are no legal entanglements to worry about should you decide to come back through for a visit. Princess Celestia has even expressed once or twice how she wishes she could talk to you herself. I think if nothing else, you should send her a letter. You can tell she misses you.

Let Fluttershy know that I’ll see what I can dredge up. This library has a lot more books than my old place at the Golden Oaks, so it may take a while. Though I will say, having opened up communications with the Dragon Lord has lead to a much better understanding of their culture.

Your magic sounds…dangerous in some degrees. Neither of us know what’s causing it, and I would advise caution around the crystals until you or I can get a good look at them and make sure they aren’t capricious.

I wish I could stick around to talk more, but I have yet another royal function to attend, and I hope I make it through without punching one of those snooty old diplomats fawning over me just because I have a crown. I don’t have time for a relationship, and certainly not with them!

If you want, I can pass along my greetings and such to the Princess. I’m sure she’ll appreciate the gesture.

Your friend and mentor,

Twilight Sparkle


Dear Princess Twilight,

I would greatly appreciate that, Twilight. As a matter of fact, I’ll write a letter to Celestia myself later tonight and bring it along when I get the nerve and time to come over. But where do I begin?

I mean, it’s not like I just ran away. I willfully disobeyed her direct orders and stole an Element of Harmony. That is as close to an act of treason as I can imagine.

Not to mention the whole ‘Teenager Zombie army’ idea. I mean, what the buck was I thinking?

So, uh…any chance of a royal pardon on that?

Your friend,

Sunset Shimmer


Dear Sunset Shimmer,

This is Starlight Glimmer, Twilight’s other student, transcribing for Twilight. Somehow she managed to mis-label a container of Poison Joke and as a result is a little….indisposed at the moment.

In regards to the pardon, she says you already have one.

When you come through, could you by chance bring a harmonica? We’re having a little problem with a minor infestation of a sort and that’s the one thing not even Pinkie can find.

I look forward to meeting you, by the way! We can go fly a kite while you’re here!

Cordially,

Starlight Glimmer


I looked at the last entry, reading it again to make sure I understood it all.

“A harmonica?” I mused. “Do they have…nah, can’t be parasprites, Twilight knows better.”