• Published 30th May 2017
  • 1,726 Views, 40 Comments

A Gem Richly Won - Rose Quill



Fluttershy and Rarity strengthen their bond

  • ...
2
 40
 1,726

A Gem Richly Won

The voice was soft but full of confidence as it called out from the kitchen.

"Aunt Sweetie, could you help me get this to the table?"

Sweetie Belle smiled and stood, setting her coffee mug on the table between us.

"Can't ignore my favorite niece," she smiled.

I leaned into Rarity as we had a few moments of quiet.

"This is nice," I whispered to her. "Melody cooking dinner for Mother's Day."

"I'm thankful she is better at it than Sweetie Belle was when she would try," Rarity whispered back. "She clearly paid attention when we let her help when she was younger."

Sweetie Belle stuck her head back in the door for a moment.

"I heard that," she mock pouted. "And dinner is served, by the way."

We went to the dining room, decorated tastefully as were all the rooms in the house, done by the fashionista by my side. Sitting on a hot pad in the middle of the solid oak table made by AJ and Big Mac as a wedding gift was a large casserole pan steaming lightly next to a bowl of salad that our daughter Melody was tossing gently.

I smiled at the purple maned girl, leaning down to kiss her on the head while Rarity rubbed noses with her. She was our little treasure, and also our largest trial to date. When she got together with Midnight Sky, Windvane, and Aurora, it was like seeing Sweetie Belle and her friends at that age again.

Trouble and all.

As she served out the caesar salad and the vegetable pot pie, I took a moment to look around the table, at the family I had gained when Rarity had agreed to marry me. A sister who was miles better at being understanding than my brother, a little girl that could always make me smile, and a wonderful wife who had stood by me through everything as I had with her.

Of all the treasures in the world, she was truly a gem, one richly won despite trouble.

"Mum?" I heard Melody ask. "You ok?"

I nodded with a smile as I took Rarity's hand in mine.

"Just basking, Little Sparrow," I said, happily.

"Just basking."

Comments ( 17 )

Awwwwww. Perfect ending.

beautifully written ,beautifully done! hope there will be more!

A beautifully excellent ending.

Awww! That was absolutely beautiful! :heart::raritystarry: I'm sorry it took me so long to read it. Straight to my favorites it goes with the rest. I think I need to make a shelf dedicated to allykitty at this point. I cried at the lullaby scene last chapter. A real yank at the heartstrings there. So touching and loving. :heart:

8329489
How do you make shelves on fimfiction.net?

8442397
Like dedicated shelves?

8442397
Hi Kittamaru! The easiest way is to select "New Bookshelf" from your Library menu in the blue* menu bar. Give it a name, an optional description, choose a privacy setting and click "Save". You can also enable the "Quick Add" toggle to have the bookshelf appear in the "..." tab of a story you are reading.

*I haven't changed the default colors so the menu bar color is blue for me. Yours may be a different color.

8442440
Hi allykitty! Sorry I've been away for so long. I hope you've settled in and all is well with you my dear.

8442440

8442477

Ah, yes, thank you! I will have to do this once I'm back home and at my computer hehe!

OH, that was most perfect indeed! Such a touching little story. :raritystarry: :pinkiehappy: :heart:

So cute with the kids at the end too. :yay:

What Flutters went through painfully mirrors some of my own troubles. I- as a guy -had at least some outlet growing up. So much harder for a sensitive, caring girl, especially when it's through no fault of her own.

I have to ask though; where in the fuck were the teachers during all of this?! Are they that fucking inept that an athletic girl gets herself put into detentions protecting an emotionally frail teen?! And why weren't those doing the bullying also disciplined?? I'm assuming the last one.

I despise bullies; Diamond Tiara basically getting a free pass for all of what she did is my major gripe about the CMC cutie mark episode, far and above beyond those Toyastic marks.

8487047
It is one noted facet of a bully is a level of cowardice. They pick on those that won’t stand up and tend to wait until they know for sure they won’t get caught. Someone sticking up for you tends to be rewarded with redoubled efforts when your knight in shining - soccer cleats, I guess in this case - is absent.

And generally speaking, both parties of a fight get the detention, at least where I attended. Burn it was RD relating the story, so mentioning the bullies detention seemed irrelevant to her.

8487063

As true as that is, I also believe that that's an oversimplification. I've met bullies that bullied just to bully; no other reason than that, other than that they were maybe bored or were having a bad day.

Sometimes it's worse; they themselves are or were victims of the same; a vicious cycle. And that's not always parental in nature either.

As to the last, that's how it was handled when I was in school. At least, whenever the assholes were ever caught. Often, I was the only one that ever got in trouble. Made the later half of my senior year a living hell; almost quit because of it.

Aww, that was pretty sweet.

A happy ending to a good story. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment