• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 2,365 Views, 115 Comments

For All That We Have Lost - Darkswirl



Stories of our favorite ponies and their passings.

  • ...
12
 115
 2,365

Rainbows Never Stop Shining

Rainbow Dash...That headstrong pegasus who thought she could do absolutely anything and everything...

Sometimes I admire her determination and willpower, but for the most part I respect her courage and loyalty.

-

"Way to go, Rainbow Dash!" Scootaloo cheered from the ground as her role model did another few loops and tricks.

It had been quite a long time since Rainbow Dash had once again applied for the Wonderbolts, but had been yet again shot down.

Rainbow Dash still didn't understand it; how could she not meet the qualifications? She was fast and determined, had saved Equestria three times, preformed three sonic rainbooms in her life time, and yet the Wonderbolts still turned her away!

So there she was, turning and twisting in the sky as she struggled to better herself; her loyal fan watching below.

Scootaloo had matured quite a bit since her days as a filly. She had developed larger, elegant wings, but had still been too afraid of heights to try and fly with them. So there she sat, training her eyes on the best flier in Equestria.

As Rainbow Dash began another round of aerial loops, Scootaloo realized with a shock that something was wrong.

As fast as Rainbow Dash was, Scootaloo could see that her left wing was twitch a bit, the spasm intensifying slowly. If Rainbow Dash kept up at this, her wing could cause her to fly out of control!

"Rainbow Dash!" Scootaloo shouted, unable to break through the wind tunnel that Rainbow Dash had created.

Scootaloo closed her eyes as her role model suddenly lost control and spiraled towards the ground.

-

"R-Rainbow Dash...?" Scootaloo whispered through tears, only partially being drowned out by the obnoxious beeping of a hospital machine.

Rainbow Dash moaned softly in pain as she turned her ears to the crying pony.

"Scootaloo...? What...What happened..." Rainbow Dash asked, wincing in pain as she breathed. She realized that she was completely covered in a cast, unable to move even her tail.

"You...You crashed..." Scootaloo answered, turning her face from the pained expression of her.

"How long did they say I was gonna be here?" Rainbow Dash continued, a hopeful look in her eyes.

Scootaloo pressed her snout against the hard body cast and cried more.

"Dash..You broke almost every bone in your body...Your ribs...They pierced..." Scootaloo explained, unable to finish.

Rainbow Dash smiled softly under her mask and wished she could comfort the little mare.

"Kid, listen to me." she started. "Can you keep a promise? A Pinkie Promise?"

Scootaloo wiped away tears and nodded softly.

"Promise me that you'll always keep trying things you're afraid of. Life is too short to not take risks, but don't be stupid about them like I was. There are some dangerous things that you just have to do, like flying. The skies aren't so scary once you get used to them, I promise. Do me a favor, Scoots?" Dash finished.

"Go outside and fly by my window?"

Scootaloo started crying again.

-

The soft buzzing grew slowly louder and more defined as it turned into a soft hum.

Scootaloo gently tapped on the window to Rainbow Dash's room and was greeted with a slowly turning head.

Underneath her cast, Dash was smiling happily while her eyes clouded in sadness.

Neither of them even noticed the machine start to grow quiet.