• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 2,365 Views, 115 Comments

For All That We Have Lost - Darkswirl



Stories of our favorite ponies and their passings.

  • ...
12
 115
 2,365

Generous Deeds, Indeed

And then there's Rarity...

The Element of Generosity.

Boy, did she live up to her title...

-

"But Rarity, I want to help too!" Sweetie Belle complained.

"I told you, Sweetie Belle; the zebra lands are no place for a filly, especially one with such a slowly developing immune system. Why, it was just last month Opal coughed and you got sicker than Angel Bunny when he had a bad carrot! No, my answer is final, and I'll be leaving you with Twilight while I'm gone." Rarity said 'as-a-matter-of-fact'.

Rarity had heard Zecora talking about the struggle and famine back in her homeland that brought many diseases and death, and Rarity had volunteered to travel there to see if her magic would be of any help.

At first, the zebra declined, as the other zebras would not take too kindly to an outsider. But after they saw what she could do, they both reasoned, they would most likely accept the help.

And so it was decided that Rarity would leave for the disease-laden land first thing next week, only that was a week ago.

"But Rarity, you always get to go on these awesome adventures! And maybe my special talent is helping others!" Sweetie Belle whined.

"Well, then you can help yourself and me by staying here and out of trouble; from what Zecora has told me, that place is absolutely dreadful and hardly suitable for a young filly such as yourself." Rarity rambled, Sweetie Belle blocking her voice out as soon as she had realized Rarity shot her down again.

It just wasn't fair! Ponyville was boring, and she and the other crusaders had tried absolutely everything and still hadn't earned their cutie marks!

Grumbling to herself, she trotted out of Carousel Boutique along with Rarity, who was lugging three heavy trunks of cloth to make clothes for the zebras there.

-

"Sweetie Belle, there's a letter from Rarity for you!" Twilight Sparkled called from the front door.

As Sweetie Belle raced down the library's steps, she nearly tackled the purple unicorn; grabbing the letter excitedly.

"Dear Sweetie Belle and Twilight,

I am writing to inform you that I have arrived safely in the zebra lands, despite how shaky those mass teleportals are. Regardless, I have set up a small booth in what I believe to be a small farming town. Hardly any of the zebra's here speak or even recognize Equestrian; most of them understandably speaking Zebrian instead. Oh, how I wish I had taken that course in high school! But that is besides the point. After the first day, I hadn't a single customer, even though my sign clearly states in Zebrian that I will make free clothing and minor medical treatments to those who need them. I am rather shocked by how harshly I am being treated; rocks being thrown at my booth and head. I'm trying to help these ponies and I'm treated with such hostility! This is exactly why I did not want you coming with me, Sweetie Belle. I will write again in another week, allowing time to 'merge' with the locals.

Sister and friend,

Rarity

-

It was another week, to the dot, before a gray mailmare brought the next letter.

"Dear Twilight and Sweetie Belle,

I am rather shocked that you haven't written to me at all during my first week here; surely you aren't THAT mad about me not taking you along, Sweetie Belle? I apologize if I hurt your feelings, but if you saw this place I can guarantee that you would be shaking in your hooves! Why, even after a full week the locals are still rather hostile, although I did manage to convince a young zebra to let me look at a rather nasty cut on his shoulder. After I had fixed it up the best I could, I sent him on his way with a few shirts for him and his family. There simply isn't much more to talk about, and for that I apologize. I would absolutely love to hear about how Ponyville is doing, but even more so how you two are doing. Sweetie Belle can be quite a hassle sometimes, can she not, Twilight?

Sister and friend,

Rarity

"So, what do you want to say?" Twilight asked, pulling out a blank parchment and dipping an elegant quill in an ink pot.

"Dear Rarity," Sweetie Belle began. "I still feel like you cheated me out of something! But I don't want to get in a fight with you, especially since you're so far away. I feel bad for you because of how the locals are treating you, but can you really blame them? A strange pony comes into their home with a horn and a bright white body, offering them free medical treatment and clothing. If I were them, I'd be afraid it was some sort of scam."

"That....That was awfully mature for you, Sweetie Belle." Twilight said, caught off guard by the little filly's intellect.

Sweetie Belle smiled at the compliment.

-

At the sound of the mail flap opening and closing, Sweetie Belle raced down the stairs and tackled the envelope.

"Dear Sweetie Belle and Twilight," Sweetie Belle read aloud as Twilight sleepily descended the staircase.

My, such strong and thought out words from somepony your age! Are you sure Twilight hasn't been trying any of her spells on you? I do still feel a little guilty about 'cheating' you out of this adventure, but I cannot stress it enough how dangerous it is here. It has been a month since I received your letter, but I simply had no time to respond: My popularity has boomed after it turns out I had saved that young zebra's life, and there have been lines that stretch all throughout the town full of zebras mostly looking for medical help. Why, I've been so overwhelmed that even a few of the healthier zebras offered to help me. Unfortunately, my recent popularity has also attracted one of the nearby warlords; a zebra who is so greedy and heartless it makes me shiver in anger! How can he just sit by and watch as his kind slowly starves to death?! It is simply incomprehensible to myself, but he went out of his way to raid my shop while I was still in it! He and his hooligans held me at hoof point as they took all the clothing I had taken weeks to stitch and ran out. If I could have used my magic, they would have been dealt with quickly and appropriately, but they smeared this icky green slime on it, and it hasn't been working for days! Luckily, one of my assistants explained to me in rough Equestrian that it would wear off, so I shall soon be back in business.

Sister and friend,

Rarity

Sweetie Belle stomped her hoof in anger.

"That's not nice! What right does he have to go in and steal things from a pony who's only trying to help!" Sweetie Belle shouted before tromping out of the room in a huff, leaving Twilight to pen a reply.

-

"Dear Sweetie Belle and Twilight,

Do you remember that zebra I told you I had saved in my last letter? Well, he has been helping me out in the shop and we managed to get back into our quota after that disgusting slime wore off. Unfortunately, he has developed quite a nasty cough and a bad rash on his front hoof; and I think I may be catching it too! But, as the element of generosity, and another pony being, I have a duty (I believe) to disregard my own life to help others. If I do not write again within the next week, expect the worst. I love you, Sweetie Belle; you are the best sister I could ever hope for, and you have been an inspiration to most of my works, even if you do not see it. And Twilight, thank you for putting up with my pettiness when it comes to absolutely everything and still being my friend. Give the rest of our group my goodbyes, if you will. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Loving sister, loving friend,

Rarity
-

Another two weeks passed and Sweetie Belle still hadn't heard back from Rarity. She refused to come downstairs until one day when a soft knocking sounded at the door.

Sweetie Belle gasped softly as she peered around the corner.

Twilight answered the door cautiously and took in a one of Celestia's royal guards.

"Miss Sparkle." he began softly, his voice holding a light tone of authority mixed with feelings of regret and sadness. "I regret to inform you that...That Miss Rarity has passed away. I...I don't have all the details, but this letter is addressed to you from her. I'm sorry for your loss...."

Twilight stood there, looking at the letter in disbelief as the royal guard trotted out of the house, forcing himself to keep his head up.

"S-Sweetie Belle..." Twilight called softly, and Rarity's younger sister came from around the corner, nuzzling the older unicorn as a tear rolled down her cheek.

My darling little sister,

I should have seen the signs, but I was too busy with my work to stop and check. I closed shop for a few days after he passed, but I had to go back to work eventually. I did my best to mask myself from the other ponies and their clothes. I only hope I do not cause as much harm as I have help. Sweetie Belle, do you remember when we got into that awful fight about you using the last of my diamonds? I had a special dress planned that I was finally able to complete. It is undoubtedly my best work, and I tailored it to fit you perfectly for your wedding day. It is a shame that pains me; not being able to sit in the audience to watch what would be the second happiest day of my life, the first being your birth. I knew my time would come eventually, although I do wish I had spent more time with you. I got so caught up in my work that I realized I had to do something to make up for it, so I left for the zebra lands. Part of me wishes I had brought you along to bond, but part of me realizes that you may not have returned, as I am not. I don't have much strength left, and for that I apologize. Before you go and open the package, I want to tell you something: Do not spend your life caught up in your own tasks. Help the world, help absolutely everypony you can to your fullest extent. Ponykind are meant to love and care for each other, but it seems that a few of us no longer realize that. Sweetie Belle, do your best at whatever you can, and I guarantee you can change the world. I love you, Sweetie Belle.

Loving sister,

Rarity

And that was it.

The element of generosity's last words of wisdom.

Sweetie Belle took her older sister's advice to heart, and oh the things she changed...