• Published 27th May 2017
  • 2,965 Views, 140 Comments

Technological Wonders - currentlemon



As an experiment, Twilight Sparkle worked with her counterpart and Sunset Shimmer to bring technology over to Equestria. After weeks of hard work, Twilight had set up her own computer inside her castle, ready to share it among her friends

  • ...
12
 140
 2,965

Chapter 6

Twilight’s demonstration of Divinity Original Sin 2 was a fun one. It was easy for her to showcase the game as she had multiple saves where a major fight was about to happen. And much to her delight, her friends couldn’t get enough of it. Seeing the characters move and fight against one another, as well as the interaction between characters, was more than enough to draw them in.

After playing one last battle in the game’s third act, Twilight shut the game down to address her still hyped friends. “So girls, what did you think? Was this game to your liking?” she asked.

“That’s an understatement, Twilight!” shouted Rainbow Dash in response. “Sweet Celestia, that was the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen!”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “Really, Dash? That was the most amazing thing ya ever seen? Not ta downplay this here thingamabob, but seriously? Did our past adventures not mean not mean anything to ya now? What ‘bout the stunts you’ve seen the Wonderbolts have done?”

Rainbow chuckled nervously as her cheeks flushed red. “Okay, maybe I may have overreacted a bit. But come on, AJ. This is pretty cool.”

“And brutal!” shouted Pinkie Pie. “Oh, remember the time where that Dwarf character spilled oil everywhere and then followed up with a fireball?”

“Heck yeah I do! Seeing all those bad guys go down in one spell was awesome to see!”

“Don’t forget the special effects, Dashie!”

“Pinkie, please. Don’t remind me about that,” muttered Fluttershy who was shivering a little bit on her chair, unsettled by the violence that occurred in game. If Twilight recalled, the mare let out a few shrieks as she watched the game’s characters pummeled each other to death.

“Sweet Celestia, the blood. Was there really a need to include that much violence?”

“To be fair, Fluttershy, blood is a mechanic in the game itself. And you can avoid some of the fighting in game, as long as your persuasion skill is high enough,” explained Twilight.

“Twilight, darling, you’re not helping!” replied Rarity who immediately attempted to soothe the pegasus pony. “Fluttershy does have a point. Though I’d admire the artistic direction and the characters you played, it doesn’t change the fact that this game is gory!”

“I know that, Rarity. Believe me, I had the same reaction you and Fluttershy had when I first saw this. But not all video games are like that. Some take a more different approach when it comes to their design.”

“Whatever do you mean, darling?”

“I’m saying that games like these depend on the developers. Some design products that focus more on their art style, while others delve into storytelling. You may think I’m crazy, but there are even developers who design their games based around blood and violence itself.”

“Good gracious!” shrieked Rarity as she nearly fainted but picked herself back up at the last minute. “What kind of brute would even purchase a product like that?”

“A lot of people, Rarity. If I recall, there was this one game that was released a few years ago that sold millions of copies. And based on what Rainbow’s counterpart showed me, it’s even more violent and profane than Divinity.”

Applejack shook her head in disgust. “Why am Ah not surprised the other RD is into that sort of stuff? Ah know she n’ our Rainbow like ta be in the thrill of the moment, but this?”

“Hey, you can’t blame the other me for liking something that might look cool!” argued Rainbow Dash, but then flinched after realizing her poor choice of words. “Uh, wait a second. I think that came out wrong.”

“Ya think!” shouted AJ. “For lands sake, RD, Ah know what Twi’ showed us was nice n’ all but aren’t ya at least a bit worried?”

“Whatever do you mean, Applejack?” asked Rarity.

“Ah’m talkin’ about the actual violence, Rarity. If what Twilight said is true, then that means there are a ton of test do-hickies all over the human world right? Won’t that mean more violence if it’s so mainstream?”

“You do raise a good point, Applejack; however, I can assure you that the correlation between violent forms of entertainment and the human psyche is nonexistent. Plenty of human researchers dedicated their time to answer if excessive amount violence can affect a human’s psyche. But like I said, it is nonexistent. Seeing another human bash another one’s skull does not make them or anyone else violent,” explained Twilight.

“Are you sure about that, Twilight?” asked Fluttershy, to which the Princess nodded in reply.

“I admit, there have been some outliers, but a majority of them have been due to the person’s mental health rather than being under the influence of video games itself.” Twilight looked at the monitor again, which was still showing the pause menu of Divinity Original Sin 2. “I think it’s time I’d show you girls a more light-hearted game instead. Give me a moment, I’ll load something that all you girls can enjoy.”

Taking the computer mouse and keyboard with her magic, Twilight shut down the Divinity game and went back to her steam home page. Moving the mouse, she clicked on yet another title. One that immediately caught the eye of Fluttershy.

Ori and the Blind Forest?” she asked.

“Oh, come on! This isn’t going to be one of those cheesy stuff like that puppy video you showed us earlier, right?” asked Rainbow.

“Settle down, Rainbow. You’ll see in a moment,” Twilight answered as the game slowly booted up. After flashes of the company logos appeared on the monitor screen, the girls were greeted to brightly colored title screen and a very soothing piano piece.

“Aw, how lovely,” commented Rarity while the game’s music played on the speakers.

“And pretty!” followed up Pinkie Pie as the screen began to change once again. “What’s this one about, Twilight?”

“Patience, Pinkie. You’ll see it soon enough,” replied Twilight. Leaning back on her chair, the Princess watched as the opening cutscene began to play. The colorful art-style, as well as the soothing soundtrack, was more than enough to get the girl’s attention again.

When the game’s perspective finally shifted toward a plumb black owl creature, Fluttershy immediately cooed. “Aw, what a cutie!” she said. A smile formed on her face as Twilight took control of the creature. “Does this game focus around animals?”

“Somewhat. You’ll get all the answers eventually, Fluttershy. Just pay attention to the screen and you’ll find out.”

Rainbow frowned. “Don’t keep us in the dark, Twilight! Come on, tell us what this game is supposed to be!” she complained. However, she was cut short as the girls saw a small white creature appear before the large owl.

“Aw, so cute!” squealed Fluttershy as the game introduced the small creature as Ori. And much to her pleasure, along with the rest of the girls, she watched the small animal have a lovely childhood with its adoptive father.

However, things turn for the worst as Ori’s forest home begins to deteriorate and food becomes scarce. Things eventually turn from bad to worse as the forest where the creature’s home became almost uninhabitable and its adoptive father passed away. “Holy buck. This just got dark really quick,” muttered Rainbow Dash.

“Ah’ll say!” replied Applejack, who was trying her best to comfort a now weeping Fluttershy. However, the game’s intro didn’t get that much better as it showed a lone Ori slowly dying due to the decaying forest.

“Goodness me,” stuttered Rarity as Ori seemingly drew its last breath. But hope was not lost. With the last bit of light from the forest, Ori was revived. “Oh thank Celestia. The sweet little thing is okay.”

“Of course, Rarity! Main characters shouldn’t be dying off like that so quickly!” exclaimed Pinkie Pie.

“But what was the point in all that? What’s this here game tryin’ ta tell us?” asked Applejack.

“That was just the opening cutscene, AJ. Ori and the Blind Forest is a game that focuses more on an artistic style of graphics and pairs it with platforming and strategy,” explained Twilight as she took control of Ori. Moving the character around, she began to showcase the game’s seemingly water colored theme with soothing music playing in the background.

“So lovely,” said Fluttershy who was staring at the monitor screen in awe. “This is much better than the previous one you showed us, Twilight.”

“I figured as much. Not all games in the human world center around combat and violence. Sometimes, you’ll find hidden gems like these.”

“Can… can I play it?” Fluttershy asked, whose meek response earned the stares of everypony in the room, excluding Twilight.

“Wow, Flutters. I never expected you of all ponies to be a gamer type,” said Rainbow Dash. “What makes you want to try this out?”

“I dunno. Maybe because it looks pretty, and it casts a cute animal as the main character too. I don’t think there are a lot of stories these days that are like this one.”

“That’s fair Ah guess. Jus’ by lookin’ at the thing, Ah can tell it’s something that suits ya, Fluttershy. Still, Ah’m kinda surprised that you of all ponies would be interested in this sort of thing.”

“It’s not that surprising, AJ. Surprisingly, the other Fluttershy is also into games as well. Though her tastes may be somewhat… different.”

“Different how, Twi’?”

Twilight shrugged. “Let’s just say there’s another genre that the other Fluttershy is interested in. And it’s something that you girls would never believe even if I told you.”

“Seriously?” asked Rainbow, raising her brow. “Just what kind of games is the other Fluttershy interested in? I mean, both she and our Flutters are completely similar. So, it shouldn’t be that weird, right?”

“I’ll tell you more about it later, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight replied nonchalantly before turning her attention back to her meek friend. “As for you, Fluttershy, I’m afraid I can’t let you play just yet. Not because I don’t want you too, but way this game is played relies heavily on keyboard inputs.”

“And how exactly is that a bad thing?” asked Applejack. “Ah’m sure Fluttershy can use that thingamabob jus’ fine.”

“There’s a reason why I use my magic on this thing instead of hooves, AJ,” Twilight answered as she lifted the keyboard up with her magic and showed it to her friends. “As you can see, the buttons are way too small for my hooves. Just using them would only cause problems if I’m writing a document or playing a game. If I actually want to use my machine, magic is the only alternative I currently have.”

“But that would mean only Unicorns can use this thing!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash. “How in the hay is this PC thing so special when over half the ponies of Equestria can’t even use it?”

“Rainbow has a point, Twilight. It wouldn’t be fair to everypony if only Unicorns like me can use this,” said Rarity.

“I know,” Twilight replied, nodding in agreement. “It’s reasons like that are why I’m working on building an alternative piece of hardware with my counterpart. Ones that are made specifically for ponies. She and I hope to complete a prototype in the next few weeks.”

“That’s okay, Twilight. I’m not in a rush to play this game,” replied Fluttershy. “But can you perhaps maybe give a small demonstration. If you don’t mind, I’d like to see more of this Ori thing before we leave if that’s alright with you.”

Twilight smiled as she laid down the keyboard. “Sure thing, Fluttershy.”

Author's Note:

This one took a lot longer than I thought it would be. Mostly because I haven't played Ori and the Blind Forest in such a long time. I'm glad I finally got a it posted though.

Next chapter will include Princess Celestia. Please look forward to it everyone. If you have any games or viral videos you want the ponies to react to, please let me know in the comments.