• Published 25th May 2017
  • 1,139 Views, 26 Comments

My Brave Pony Starfleet Magic: Season II - DakariKingMykan



Starfleet battles the Changelings and an empire of machines

  • ...
80
 26
 1,139

Episode 7: Metallic Menace

EPISODE SEVEN

Lightning was giving a public lecture at New Ponyville town hall for all the civilians to brush up on their survival skills during the war. Lightning even showed everyone slide reels of footage take from previous battles on Unicornicopia, and just how merciless some villains were, and how life in Dimensional Space was nothing to underestimate.

“And so, to recalibrate-- Starfleet and their allies will do whatever it takes to protect you and our world, but you must play your parts too as well as follow orders set by the martial law. There are three basic rules to follow.

Rule One: Do not enter battles.

You cannot get harmed by a battle or the effects of battle... IF... you don’t get involved. When the alarms sound, do whatever you can to reach the nearest shelter before the force-fields activate. If, however, you are unable to reach any shelter in time, get as far from the danger area as you can to avoid being seen or involved.

Rule Two: Help or Hide.

If you do get trapped in the battle area with no means of escape, help out as best as can, only if asked so, or just stay out of the way. Leave it to the professionals.

Finally, Rule three: Defeat the villains.

There are three known basic ways to do so: Either by forcing them to retreat. Render them weak enough to capture and imprison them, or heal them, or if and only if the situation truly calls for it and you have the authorization, destroy them! I repeat, this is only a last, and absolute last resort when all other methods fail and with proper authorization.”

Lightning then answered many questions the listeners cared to throw his way, such as “Why destroy monsters? Can’t you just capture and imprison them all? Then maybe you can try and heal or redeem them as was with Princess Luna.”

Lightning explained that just as they had studied and seen, some monsters and demons were far too powerful to be contained, and using the power of friendship and harmony to try and reason or weaken them would do no good. Some did not wish to even be redeemed and preferred to carry out their evil ways, while others couldn’t be redeemed even if they wanted to be. Some monsters were not actual living beings but rather a monstrous creation made of matter, organics, or simple objects whose only purpose was to destroy and conquer. “We ourselves, in many ways detest having to destroy other creatures, but it isn’t advisable to let the roam free either at the risk of more innocent creatures and worlds being in danger, and possibly destroyed. We just can’t allow it.

Are there any other questions?”

A young mare stood up and asked a question about world warping in space. “Is it always necessary for us to warp to other worlds using a portal and dimensional pathway?”

Lightning recounted what he had learned some time ago. True, the void of their magical universe had oxygen to breath and stable warm temperatures, but the pathways were necessary for providing stable and protective means of space travel, as Lightning has explained. “Dimensional Space exists above normal space and consists of highly powerful and unstable teleportation energies. If you try to enter dimensional space with no pathway or if you stray from the path and fall into space, you will be magically teleported to a random spot anywhere in the entire galaxy, maybe the universe-- There’s no telling where you’d end up. You could materialize over a burning star and fall into it. You can land in the middle of a black hole. You could appear over a sea of acid. A planet with no air or food, or maybe even some hungry giant’s dinner plate. If you are very fortunate, you could very well wind up on a planet that can sustain life.”

He recalled the story of the time Grand Ruler Celesto was captured by Nightmare Moon and launched into space where he was warped to a distant and uncharted planet which later became Unicornicopia and the beginning of Starfleet. “Despite all the worlds we occupy and have explored, ninety-seven percent of it all is still uncharted. That is an awful lot of space to get lost in.”

A bell rang indicating the lecture was over, and as the ponies and other creatures exited, Lightning reminded them all to read up on what he had just taught them in libraries. Then he, too, left the auditorium. Starla, Krysta, Twilight and Spike met him outside and complimented his lecture. “Well, I didn’t write it.” Lightning said “Grand Ruler gave me this lecture. He told me to pass it on to everyone at this meeting.”

“I still thought it was great.” Starla said.

“Figured, you would.” Lightning teased and he pecked his mare-friend on the cheek.

Twilight didn’t look too thrilled though. “Twilight, are you okay?” asked Spike.

Twilight hated to admit it but she was still a little shaky on the fact of having to destroy creatures. “I know sometimes we have to, but… I still don’t think that it’s right. It makes us no different than they are.”

Krysta hovered near her “Twilight, I like you, but… sometimes I think you really need to wake up and stop kidding yourself.”

Twilight took that a little offensively, but the others agreed with Krysta. Even Spike agreed. “If we hadn’t done that, then Titan and all the other bad guys from the previous war would’ve killed us all long ago, even if the planet hadn’t been set to explode.”

“I know!” Twilight said sounding annoyed “Do you have to give me this same boring speech every time? I understand, but I just don’t feel anything good comes out of it.”

“Never mind, Twilight.” said Lightning “Maybe one day you’ll see.”

Starla nodded “In the meantime, who’s up for some milkshakes?”

Spike leapt for joy. “I could go for that.”




Meanwhile, Chrysalis was in a deep sleep while the love energy that was captured replenished her life force. Guards were standing watch all around for her protection. No one was allowed to disturb the queen.

Elsewhere, the captain was in a secret lair-- a place where he knew neither Chrysalis nor any of the other remaining changelings would never even guess-- where he could work in privacy.

He seemed to be building up something diabolical. “Wonderful.” he hissed “I still haven’t lost my touch in my design process. I just need one thing more.” He reached down to the floor and moved a false stone panel away revealing a secret compartment containing a single box, and inside the box were several spheres containing the exact same glowing energy from the containers by Chrysalis’ throne.

The captain took hold a sphere and placed inside the body of his creation. “Forgive me if I forgo the kiss my sleeping beauty, but the time has come for you to awaken.” he teased “I have a little job for you.”

Finally, it was almost too dark to tell, but he seemingly removed his left hand from his wrist like a connection, and attached what appeared to be a long cable from inside his arm to the creation, a powerful glow of energy shined, and suddenly, the creation came to life. The captain’s eyes glowed red as he chuckled sinisterly, yet softly. “Now it begins!”




The Cakes served the party their milkshakes. Pinkie joined them after helping put baby Pound and Pumpkin down for their nap. Krysta had her own special drinking glass for just her size.

Spike let out huge belch after finishing his shake. “Spike!” snapped Twilight.

“Sorry!” Spike said “It was so good.”

Mr. Cake came along with another milkshake “I thought I’d be ready in case you asked.” He said. Spike couldn’t thank him enough.

Pinkie was just happy her friends came along with smiling faces, only Twilight still seemed to be a little down. “What’s the matter, Twilight?” she asked “Come on. Won’t you smile?” but Twilight didn’t feel much like smiling, as the part of Lightning’s lecture about destroying enemies still got to her, and the others didn’t know what to say or do. Even Pinkie seemed to be able to deal with it more than Twilight.

The only time she ever took lives were back in the war before Equestria was destroyed. She helped destroy Titan’s evil minions, but then again they were only made of corpses and graveyard soil-- artificial beings that were made only for war and conquest. So they weren’t really all that alive.

She helped defeat the spirit of the evil Nightmare Moon, once and for all, along with everyone else, and as well as the evil Titan himself. If those creatures hadn’t been destroyed, no one would be alive now, not even her, and United Equestria wouldn’t be there, and the universe would be in eternal peril. “Still, I just don’t feel right about it.” she simply said.

“Oh, Twilight…” Lightning said “What are we going to do with you?”




Meanwhile, Professor Brain was at the waterworks in New Ponyville with one of his college classes for a scientific research session. They saw the plant, the systems, and the best attraction was the large dam that kept all the water secure so it could all run safely into the streams and rivers, and the rest would enter the plant to be cleaned and used for perfect water for cooking, washing, drinking. Brain lectured his class on the many different functions of the plant, and told them to document everything they would learn for a paper he wished them to write about.

Suddenly, one of the students looked down and saw someone approaching the dam. She motioned for Brain to come and take a look. Her teacher looked down and had never seen any creature like that before. “Curious! Most curious.” he remarked.

It looked like a pony made completely out of metal, with a steel horn on its head as its antenna. “What is he doing?” the students wondered. Brain suddenly had a shaky feeling inside him, and it was answered when the creature began to attack the side of the dam! The guards immediately dashed out to try and stop it, but were unsuccessful as the creature bashed them all away with such strength.

Brain quickly sounded the big alarm, warning the kingdom there was danger. “Everyone, quickly, get inside!” Brain ordered, and his students obeyed their teacher and dashed inside the water-plant before the shields appeared. Soon Lightning and the gang arrived on the scene. Lightning and Starla were already transformed. They stopped by the entrance to talk to Brain. “Professor, what’s going on?” asked Lightning.

“See for yourself.” Brain said as he pointed to the creature. “What kind of creature is that?” asked Twilight. “I thought you’d know.” said Spike.

Lightning and Starla scanned it with their visors, but the life support readings showed nothing. It wasn’t listed under any known living being in the database. Whatever it was it seemed to be trying to destroy the dam, which meant all the water would rush out and wipe out everything in its path for miles-- Towns, forests, farms, and all. Even with the force fields activated it wouldn’t be good. The water would still weaken the foundations and soggy up the lands.

“Twilight, quick, get the changeling out of him!” said Starla. Twilight agreed and tried her splitter spell, but surprisingly, it didn’t work. The creature didn’t even flinch. Twilight tried again only to have the same result. “Nothing!” she said “If my spell didn’t work, there’s no changeling in him.”

“What? No changeling?” cried Pinkie

“But if there's no changeling... that means he’s not being controlled.” added Lightning. He then used his visor scanning, and could actually detect life energies emitting from the creature, only they seemed to be well off, and not normal like in most creatures, but know doubt, this creature's attack power was very strong.

He tried to use his X-ray scan, but the metal surrounding the creature was impervious to the scan. All Lightning could detect was life-like energy. "What kind of creature is this?" he wondered.

The creature was still attacking the dam, and the others tried to fight it, only to get bashed and kicked away hard. It felt is if they were fighting a steel wall. “Wow! He sure packs a punch.” groaned Lightning as he rubbed his chest.

Krysta flew in, and tried to lift the creature with her super strength, but she got kicked hard, like a golf ball being hit. “Krysta!” shouted Lightning.

Krysta poked her head up over a rock. “I’m good.”

Pinkie Pie wouldn’t stand for this “No one hurts my friends that way and gets away with it!” and, defying orders not to actually fight, she dashed right at the creature. “Pinkie, Don’t!” shouted Starla. “Pinkie, stop right now, that’s an order!” shouted Lightning.

But Pinkie wouldn’t listen and leapt up to try and kick the creature with all her might! CLANG!! She gasped and then leapt about holding her foot in pain. “Ouch! Ooh-Ooh, ow-ow! That smarts!” she cried.

“Maybe you can try and capture It.” suggested Spike. Lightning and Starla agreed and readied their weapons. “Fire!” cried Lightning as he fired his blaster and Starla tried her “GALACTIC PROJECTILE!” with her bow set to capture-mode. They were careful not to shoot the dam itself.

The two attacks hit the creature hard, knocking into a wall. “YEE-HEE…! We got him!” cried Pinkie as she leapt for joy. The others cheered, but they suddenly stopped cheering when they saw the creature rise up from the dust. “It didn’t work!” cried Starla.

The others couldn’t believe it much either, but the creature seemed immune to capture magic. Twilight tried some of her other containment spells, and force fields, but the creatures slipped right through them all, doubly proving that the creature couldn’t be held back or contained.

Krysta even tried to use her warp portals to teleport the creature, and even they didn’t work—just slicked right off of him like water-- “This is crazy!” she cried “Hardly any magic seems to work on this guy.”

The creature headed back towards the dam in another attempt to break it. “Get him!” shouted Lightning and he and Starla dashed over to fight the creature again, only to continuously be shoved away by the creature’s amazing strength, and by this time the creature seemed to be losing patience. Its eyes began to glow and it shot powerful lasers at everyone. Sparks flew everywhere and everyone fell to the ground. “Whoa! How did it do that?” asked Spike.

The others weren’t sure, but Lightning began to realize that if they couldn’t contain it, they had only one other option. Starla agreed with him. “You mean?” Twilight asked “Are you saying?”

Starla nodded “We destroy him!”

Twilight felt a nasty turn in her stomach. “But… that’s just…!”

“Twilight, what choice do we have?” asked Lightning. “Look, we know how you feel but you know what our orders are.”

“But, it’s another creature’s life.” said Twilight “I don’t think I can do it again.”

“It’s one life against many.” Pinkie said “If that dam breaks, all of New Ponyville could be wiped out. We won’t have a place to live and…” she gasped hard and loud “I’ll have hardly any friends left to invite to parties! I WON’T LET THAT HAPPEN!!” Disobeying orders again, she dashed back to help Lightning and Starla fight “PINKIE!!” Lightning snapped at her, but before he could tell her to stop, he saw her get slammed hard on the head. She stumbled around all dizzy with stars round her eyes and then collapsed hard with her lounge hanging out. “Ow!” she groaned. “Pinkie!” cried Twilight as she and the others ran over to help get her away from the battle area.

However, Pinkie’s little stunt actually knocked off the chest plate on the creature’s armor, revealing its insides to be wires, metallic parts, and a small glowing orb of energy.

“Huh?” remarked Twilight.

Starla and Lightning gazed in awe, and Brain could see from afar in the building “I wouldn’t have believed it possible.”

“It-- it’s a robot!” cried Spike.

Nothing could explain it. The way he seemed so strong and shooting beams from his eyes, as for the vital life energy signal, it was the orb. It was loaded with actual biological life energy. This confused the team very greatly, but at least they now knew it was just a robot they were fighting.

“Well, that’s sure good to know.” Twilight said with eagerness in her voice. Now she didn’t feel so bad about destroying it. After all, it was just a non-living robot.

“Maybe we should try shooting at its glowing core.” suggested Starla.

“It’s worth a try.” said Lightning “Spread out!”

The three fighters spread out, and each took turns. First, Lightning flew in at incredible speed and booted the robot away from the dam hard and out into the open. Starla and Twilight stood side by side. “Ready?” Starla asked.

Twilight nodded “Let’s do this.”

The robot began to charge towards them and Starla set her bow on destroy, and she powered up with all her might. “GALACTIC PROJECTILE!” and fired it right at the robot’s face badly damaging it, and Twilight fired her strongest beam of magic from her horn right at the robot’s open chest, shattering the glowing orb. The robot began to malfunction and spark like crazy, and then it fell over and exploded into a pile of burning metal debris.

“All right!” cried Spike “They did it!”

“Satisfactory!” cheered Brain “Most-Most-Most satisfactory!”

Twilight was panting heavily after using such a large amount of power all at once. “How do you feel, Twilight?” Lightning asked. “I’m shaking.” Twilight answered “But that’s probably from the battle.”

Starla smiled at Twilight, at the same moment Pinkie Pie woke up from her daze. “What happened?” she asked all woozy “Did we win?”




The changeling captain had seen everything, and he wasn’t too upset that his robot creation failed as it was only an experimental test. “A small sample of what I have in store for you, Ponies. Just you wait.”

He silently snuck out of his secret lair, and made his way back to the fortress where he was summoned before Chrysalis at once. “You summoned me, my queen?”

“Yes.” hissed Chrysalis. She didn’t sound very pleased. “Can you explain this?” She motioned to the jars of energy by her throne. They had been looked as if they had been drained from her long rest period as her life force was reenergized, but the jars seemed much lower than they ought to have been, even after her long rest, but there was no indication of any leaks in the jars.

The captain, who was really the culprit and secretly stealing the energy for his projects, pretended to be concerned. “This is an outrage!” he snapped “My queen, had I had been here…”

“I don’t want to discuss details.” snapped Chrysalis “I just want to you to find out who did this and why and when you do… bring them to me!” she had that glare in her eyes meaning she would punish whoever was responsible dearly.

The captain bowed and promised he would find whoever was responsible, and as he walked out the throne room he thought nastily to himself, “The day will come, Chrysalis, when I will crush you like the parasite you are!”




The friends all brought Pinkie Pie back to the Cake’s, and she was soon resting in bed with an ice-bag resting on her aching head. “Ooo-ooh…!” she groaned. “I never thought it was possible to hit your head that hard.”

“Shh… just relax, Pinkie.” said Carrot Cake.

“You’ll be just fine.” added Cup Cake.

“You did help us a lot today, Pinkie.” said Lightning “But you still disobeyed orders.”

Pinkie nodded regrettably. “I’m sorry, but I just wanted to help.”

“We know, Pinkie.” said Starla “But if we’re going to survive in this war, we must follow orders. So they next time you’re given your post don’t desert it again unless we tell you.”

Pinkie promised to behave from then on, and then the all left her to rest.

Downstairs, Twilight was finishing writing her report to the queen and Grand Ruler, about she learned that sometimes when others were right it was best not to be so skeptical about things but rather do as she was told.

She gave the report to Spike who sent it off. That’s when Lightning and Starla came downstairs, all of them were glad the robot was beaten and Pinkie’s injuries were only minor. But still, that robot-- “You don’t think Chrysalis sent it do you?” asked Spike.

During the battle, Lightning scanned the orb with his visor several times, and it was concluded that the life-energy from the robot's orb was almost exactly the same kind of energy Chrysalis and the Changelings used for food-- powerful life energy transfigured from the essence of emotions.

Despite this, however, “I don’t know this isn’t her style.” said Twilight. “It’s too unpredictable, too dangerous.”

“And another thing, Spike…” Lightning said “Changelings don’t know very much cybernetics, or any type of machinery. According to research, they rely so heavily on their own tricks and magic, they feel they’re better off without them.”

“But where did that robot come from?” Krysta wondered aloud. The others all wondered the same thing, and they all began to have a feeling that maybe someone else was out to get them, but who was it, what did they want, and why?

One thing was certain. The battle that day told them all to train harder and make themselves stronger for future battles.

Professor Brain had gathered the scrap remains of the robot to try and examine it and maybe find ways to help make Starfleet’s weapons and armor stronger as well.

At least the kingdom was safe for another day!




(Promo)

In our next episode, a country singing star is reported missing, and then he miraculously shows up at New Sweet Apple acres. He soon befriends the famers, but seems to be disheartened towards music, his career and fans and plans to never perform again.

It’s now up to the friends to discover the problem, but can they convince the singer to rekindle his love for music?

Don’t miss the next episode of “Starfleet Magic!”

(Next Episode: “Right as Wrong”)