• Published 7th Jul 2017
  • 473 Views, 4 Comments

Before the Sun was Tamed - AlicornPriest



The story of Equestria before Celestia began her reign.

  • ...
1
 4
 473

The Second Taming: Filled with Sunshine

Before the sun was tamed, she was a distant flame, high above the world.

In those days, the sun did not move from its place at the top of the sky. It ruled relentlessly, without rest, and the ponies below did what they could to soften its blow. The unicorns gathered berries and roots from nearby plants, and the pegasi flew across the world to look for things to eat. The earth ponies, however, considered a very different course of action. They attempted to cultivate the grasses around them to produce a plant that would generate food every day, year by year, for them. It was ambitious, but the sun's heat made it near-impossible. Just when the wheat had reached its highest point, it began to wither, fruitless. They were a proud people, reluctant to admit failure, but after what seemed a thousand dead crops, they implored Northern Bound to meet with the sun once more and convince her to do something to give the wheat a chance to grow.

She began her trek once more to cross the grasslands and ocean and mountains, but after the first day, the path widened out into a clearing, and Celestia was standing there to meet her. She stood tall and sturdy, in a way that seemed impossible to divine emotion or intent. She spoke again, with that mouthless voice, saying, "Are you traveling to see me once again?"

"Yes," said Northern Bound. "My people are struggling, and we need your assistance."

Celestia did not reply, so Northern Bound continued. "You give great light to all of us, and you keep the world warm, but at the same time, your heat is too strong for the grass we eat. The earth ponies want to create living plants to sustain them, but their crops die before they can eat a morsel of it. I pray beseechingly that you create a cycle of waking and rest, so that the plants might have moments of heat and moments of cool, that they may live."

And Celestia said, "Of what concern is that to me?"

Northern Bound recalled what she had considered before, and despaired. "You are a distant, unfeeling god, but surely you can see from your place in the firmament what we could become. Were the earth ponies successful, ponykind could expand across the face of the planet, growing numerous and wondrous in their power. Surely you could see how this would be a great good for us!"

But Celestia replied, "I do not care about ponykind. Whether they are successful or die out utterly matters not one whit to me."

"Do you desire sacrifice?" asked Northern Bound. "If we grew as a nation, we could make more precious offerings to you, Celestia. Good food, complex tools, pieces of art, whatever you wished."

"I desire nothing. I do not hunger, and I have no use for tools or works of art."

"Will you deny me this?" Northern Bound cried. "I have nothing to offer you but my appreciation! Will you not do it as a personal gift to me?"

Celestia looked at Northern Bound for a moment, or so it seemed. But again she said, "I do not care about you. I recognize your coming, but in comparison to me, you are nothing."

Northern Bound sagged, defeated. What would convince a being that needed nothing to sustain itself, that had no bonds with others, and that could not be inflamed with emotion or passion? She wondered what it was like, to be such a thing as Celestia. "Is it difficult, to carry such a burden? Have you ever known rest?"

And Celestia said, "I have not. I am a constant burning, and I must be strong."

Northern Bound replied, "Rest is important to ponies. It is a relief, and it brings strength for the coming day. Perhaps rest is something you would enjoy as well?"

Celestia tipped her head to one side. Then, her horn lit up, and the image of the sun above them gradually lowered. For the first time, Northern Bound knew darkness while outside; for the first time, Northern Bound knew the night.

"This is... this is good!" Celestia said. Her bright, burning eyes seemed to sparkle with joy. "I enjoy this."

"Perhaps you are more pony than I first conceived," said Northern Bound.

"Perhaps I am," Celestia answered. But she turned away and began to walk out into the distance.

Northern Bound made to call out to her, but suddenly, a stone tablet appeared in front of her. "Use this magic when you have need of night or day," said Celestia, "and I will move according to your purpose. It will require a dozen of your kind, and it will be hard work. But if this is what you require for the benefit of your people, then I imagine the sacrifice will be worth it."

Celestia paused, unmoving. Then she said, more quietly this time, "This conversation... I also enjoyed it. Should you ever have need of it... or should you simply desire it... walk out into the grass again, and I will meet with you."

And Northern Bound smiled, and said, "Thank you, Celestia, from the bottom of my heart. I will remember that."

With the empty black sky above her, Northern Bound returned home. The ponies there were terrified that the sun had vanished from sight, but Northern Bound explained what the sun had promised them. After a while, the unicorns decided to raise the sun again, and twelve of them worked the magic Celestia had given them. True to her word, the sun rose calmly back into its place, and it sank again when they cast it in the evening. To maintain a pattern, and to honor the twelve unicorns who would sacrifice their magic to raise and lower the sun and moon, it was decided that there would be twelve hours of day and twelve hours of night. Thus was the cycle of daylight first constructed.

Though, so the stories say, there was an odd case. No matter how many times Northern Bound participated in the ritual, she never flagged or lost her power. And, so they say, the day was brightest and most beautiful on those days when she raised it, and the night darkest and most dismal on the days when she lowered it.

In this way, through the spell to create rest, the sun was tamed... at least a little more.