• Published 25th May 2017
  • 11,231 Views, 1,345 Comments

Spectrum - Sledge115



Secrets come to light when a human appears, and the Equestrians learn of a world under siege – by none other than themselves. Caught in a web that binds the great and humble alike, can Lyra find what part she’ll play in the fate of three realms?

  • ...
28
 1,345
 11,231

PreviousChapters Next
Act III ~ Chapter Twenty-Four ~ Unveiled

Spectrum

The Team

TheIdiot

DoctorFluffy

VoxAdam

Sledge115

Oh and how I used to wonder, what friendship could be...

RoyalPsycho

TB3

Kizuna Tallis

ProudToBe

Chapter Twenty-Four

Unveiled

* * * * *

We understand you wanting more
A chance to shine, a chance to soar
Soon will come the day it turns around
Know that your time is coming soon
As the sun rises, so does the moon
As love finds a place in every heart
You are a princess; you’ll play your part
You’ll Play Your Part, by Daniel Ingram

~ The Hall of Unity ~ Day 11 of the Convocation ~ Twentieth Day of the Month of Rophon, Year 3 of The Era Harmoniae ~

Evening in these gardens felt different, somehow, to Prince Blueblood.

Back in Canterlot, he knew Aunt Celestia’s gardens, famous for their array of flora and fauna – especially the birds of every colour, the toucans, the hummingbirds and the flamingos, or the jays. Wallaroos and kangaroos. If only they’d dare show themselves more. But there was one lesson Celestia had drilled into him from a young age. Be patient with these animals. They are not yours to pet, for they were rescued from poachers and others who’d mistreat them, and they’d have little chance to survive in the wild anymore.

His one attempt at disobedience was also the rare time he could remember Celestia punishing him with severity. The lesson had stuck. Ironic, then, that a few years later, the stampeding of these same creatures at the Grand Galloping Gala had coincided with him getting more than he’d bargained for in taunting a gold-digger.

Those gardens were Celestia’s. In those gardens, he’d found his skill at the centre of the Maze, But he’d known what he was looking for then. Right now, he couldn’t say he did. With Awesome Fire and Shieldwall busy on their own projects, and Basil away in Gallopoli, Blueblood was left to his thoughts. Maybe he was looking for tranquility of mind. Beyond the pillars of the pagoda, the Sun began to cloak along the horizon, as the cycle transitioned from Celestia to Luna’s rule. In the last two weeks, Luna had made the Hall’s gardens her own. Unlike Celestia’s, they held no living creatures he knew of.

The sound of running water alerted him that he was coming to a fountain. Stopping, he considered it, then went ahead. If he couldn’t drown himself in a bottle tonight, perhaps the water’s sound could drown out unwelcome thoughts.

It was to his surprise, when he stepped around a hedge to the fountain square, that he found he wasn’t as alone as he’d believed.

The human woman lay facing away from him, on the great fountain’s plinth, basking in the last rays of sunshine. Squinting, Blueblood strained to see her face. Less than a dozen humans had crossed over from Earth since Luna’s return, of varying ranks and purpose. He did not think this one of their leadership. Too open to exposure here, even if the Hall of Unity was nominally safe.

He wondered if he should just turn back. Obviously she’d chosen to be alone, likely for reasons he dare not imagine. But compulsion overruled him. This could be his first, if not his only occasion to approach a human outside a formal environment.

Thus, tidying back his mane, checking his growing beard, and brushing his snazzy new longcoat, he walked over.

“Beautiful evening, isn’t it?”

Wah! Oh–” the human yelped, catapulting up. In seconds, she went to cover herself with her arms. She turned to face him. “Oh, my go– I am so, so very sorry…”

She drew her legs up, leaving her seated in a foetal position upon the plinth’s rim.

“Hi, um,” said the human. “Y-yeah. Beautiful evening. How’re you? Sorry, erm, I… I should probably, probably– gah, I’m so sorry,”

Despite her startled, babbling tone, Blueblood noted her pronunciation of Modern Equish was close to flawless, with only a hint of accent, one he couldn’t quite place yet which struck him as unexpectedly familiar, comforting.

This made him happy. He’d been kicking himself for automatically using Equish to greet her, rather than the Common Tongue. But he much preferred speaking the former, so that it was a mild regret of his that Basil only spoke Common.

The human’s hand reached towards a piece of armour on the ground. It was odd, Blueblood thought, to happen upon a human outside their omnipresent armor or fabric. This one looked oddly small without them.

That was when he noticed her head of hair – he wasn’t sure if humans would call it a mane. It was a shade of brownish-red, a pleasing colour, and cut short, which was less pleasing. But neither of those were what caught his attention. Although it had dried quickly in the Midsummer heat, tiny droplets of water still matted her hair, too many to just be splashes from the fountain. Enough droplets covered what else he saw of her to confirm his suspicions.

“Ah,” he said. “Apologies, I didn’t realise.” He paused, considering teasing her along, but decided this might be a conversation-dampener. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell a soul. It isn’t allowed, true, but I’ve bathed in fountains a fair few times myself– with a bottle stuck over my horn, more often than not. Crazy nights.”

“... Aah, you… you snuck around, too?” Her hand stopped short of reaching for her armour. She kept it held out, fingers trembling, before slowly pulling back. She had big, warm blue eyes. “Yeah, erm… thanks for… covering for me, I guess. It-it’s been a long few m-months, and... well, I c-couldn’t resist.”

Blueblood nodded, feeling more sympathy than he’d suspected. “I understand war doesn’t do much for creature comforts…” he said, taking a seat a small distance from her on the plinth. “It must be a shock, going from that to… Well, this.”

His forehoof swept over the intricate garden.

“Luxury,” he finished. “I’ve known it all my life, you know.”

“Th-that’s nice...” the human said, shakily. “One of my f-friends is rich. Well, um, richer than me. Or… or my other friends. Actually, I d-don’t know if she s-still is. But she’s still around, so that’s… that’s good.”

While she’d got over her surprise, he picked up on her continued nervousness. Aunt Celestia had explained that in war, it wasn’t uncommon for fighters to develop what she called a ‘twitchiness’. Yet the human was speaking plainly enough. So, could it be his station which made her nervous? Now wouldn’t that be a change from his would-be suitors...

Idly, Blueblood dipped his forehoof into the pool, watching the ripples trace.

“Oh, I’m not just a loafer, I’ll have you know,” he said casually. “Took the initiative to earn my own bread once, me and some friends. For a whole year. ‘Course, it was meant to be fun, too. We’d… borrowed ourselves a big ship, see, and went storm-hunting around the world… Know what prices they’ll offer for harvested lightning, on the Ryupponese black market?”

The human shrugged. “Mmm, no, not really,” she said. She remained tucked up, but her shakes had receded somewhat. “How much were they offering for… lightning?”

“More than enough for bed and board,” Blueblood smiled. “And a month’s worth of supplies for twenty mouths. The authorities didn’t like it, obviously…” He chuckled and slunk down to rest. “But isn’t that part of the life? The thrill of having them on your tail at any moment.”

While she remained unmoving, the human smiled crookedly.

“I can relate to that,” she said wistfully. “Well– the thrill. I get different sorts of thrills, but… out in the ocean, being pursued n’ all that? I know the feeling.”

“Huh, really?” Blueblood said, looking at her curiously. “What are the odds? Didn’t think it was exactly a common experience.” He whetted his lips. “Are you saying you’ve been around pirates?”

“Mmh, kind of,” she said, with matter-of-factness that sounded forced. “We don’t… don’t really have swashbuckling pirates anymore. But I dealt with Imperials out at sea with a… well, a rag-tag bunch. Soldiers, smugglers and… me, a chemist.”

This was getting more and more interesting, and in such a small space of time.

“Yeah,” Blueblood acknowledged. “Auntie made it clear that it’s a mess on Earth, everything a life-or-death situation… I suppose my pirate talk must sound quaint to you.”

She was a chemist, was she? On instinct, Blueblood glanced at her hip. He found himself a little taken aback to see nothing except a few water-drops clinging to her skin.

“Ah, my bad,” he muttered. “They don’t have cutie marks either… Had to be sure.”

Her cheeks had gone red, he noticed.

“N-no, no we, we don’t,” she stammered. To Blueblood’s regret, she had tensed up once more. “We… we don’t get cutie marks, um...”

She quickly glanced at his own flank. “I, ah, see yours is… fitting, eh-heh, heh,” she said, maintaining her grimacing smile.

Yes, there was a discomfort here. Maybe now was his cue to paper over it, make this more than a Prince indulging a nameless commoner.

“Well, I’m sure you know who I am,” Blueblood said amiably. “Prince Blueblood by title, Astron by first name. And you’re right, mine’s a fitting mark for the high seas. Now, it’s going to be of great service to Equestria, on this expedition of Madame Heartstrings’. You must’ve heard of her. But, tell me. What’s your name?”

She didn’t say anything, at first. Then, softly, she spoke.

“Ana.”

* * * * *

She shouldn’t have done it, Ana thought, tightening her grip. Shouldn’t have pranced her way into the gardens. Shouldn’t have basked in the evening Sun. Yet… Somehow, the guy didn’t seem to mind at all, in spite of her current state.

“Ana,” he repeated. “That’s an easy name to remember. Even shorter than Auntie Luna’s.”

“It is, isn’t it?” Ana said, letting out a small chuckle. “It’s actually longer than that, way longer, but Ana will do for now. Ana Bjorgman. That’s with a ‘j’, by the way. Sorry. Force of habit. I’ve had to go through lots of ID checks.”

“ID?” Prince Blueblood sounded confused, before he apparently remembered. “Ah, yes. Fascinating cultural distinction… You know, passports aren’t too common on this world, except for Ryuppon and some other places. So... in a way, you do have a mark.”

“Oh,” Ana said simply. Something about how he said it, she found rather welcoming. “That was… kind of you, really. I suppose we do have our marks, in that we… make them.”

Blueblood nodded. “Sounds like the Minotaurs and their artisanship.” He glanced upwards. “I never did ask if I was named after that character, Asterion, from their myths… My father didn’t like people much, but I think he had a soft spot for Minotaurs.”

There was an old tone in his voice, of longing and remembrance of days gone by. She was beginning to feel her arm’s grip around her legs ease up. After a hesitation, she let go, letting her palms slide down to the plinth’s rim.

“Asterion is a fine name,” Ana said sincerely. “Perhaps your father… well, I assume he was well-read, perhaps he intended for your name to be a well-remembered one.”

Never mind that she didn’t know anything about an ‘Asterion’, but the little voice in her head was guiding her way.

“My name… isn’t as old as yours,” Ana began. Tentatively, she unfolded a leg, lowering it to touch her foot upon the grass. “But I suppose my mother also had a soft spot for the old days… I was named after a princess… Duchess Anastasia. She died young, and… and my grandfather and mother agreed to name me after her. So that even in death, she’d be remembered. I suppose that’s what she– we, that’s what Ann– it’s what all of us want, really. Remembrance.”

For a moment, Ana recalled the ambitious, grumpy yet loving Hanne Adler, who’d gone on and on about human legacy, during the times they’d spent together as friends and more in their university days.

“What’s so funny?” asked Blueblood.

She must have burst out laughing. “Nothing, nothing just… an old friend. Well, I say ‘friend’ and we’ve… She’s, she’s weird in her own way.”

Look who’s talking, silly.

“Weird,” Blueblood repeated.

Ana brushed away a bang, pondering. Only as she did so did she realise she’d let her hands relax.

“Well, she’d go on about how legacy is most important,” Ana began. It was easy to recite, considering Hanne’s penchant to reiterate her ambitions. “So she went on to do the one thing that fits. Photography! Goodness, she’s got such a keen eye. Oh, you should see her photos... the Barrier one is everywhere! She hit it big. Everyone’s seen her photos, read what she writes... I ought to read her columns more often. She’s… she’s one of the only friends I’ve got left, and...”

Her hands fell to her sides, dejectedly.

“Would that be the one you said was rich?” Blueblood said curiously. “Sounds like someone who chose not to simply let life offer her things on a silver platter.”

“Yeah. And I… guess she didn’t.”

Blueblood sighed, casting his gaze down at the grass before the fountain.

“Enviable,” he muttered. “You know, in three-thousand years of unbroken lineage… well, fair enough, nothing’s ever that neat, but still… I’m the one-hundred-and-eighth Prince of Equestria to bear the name ‘Blueblood’. It’s hard to find what makes you stand out, with heritage like that.”

Ana saw him look towards what was left of the setting Sun, a gold outline tracing the hedge tops. She wondered if he was thinking about his ancestors, or Princess Celestia.

“The last Blueblood to bear a nickname was Blueblood the Challenger,” the Prince told her. “And he was an explorer… Can I even claim that, or measure up to him? All I’ve got is what my friends call me, ever since our little joyride aboard Auntie C’s flagship… Bluenose.” He chuckled weakly. “Sure, I’m fine with it. It’s cute. But is that going to make the history books? I doubt it will.”

Looking at him, Ana thought he looked like a child, whose dreams had slowly eroded over the passing years. Slowly, she reached out to place a hand on his shoulders, and formed what she hoped was a comforting smile.

“Wouldn’t know before you tried it, would you?”

* * * * *

Blueblood asked himself why he was being so open with this human. Perhaps there was a side to this ‘Ana Bjorgman’ which he found invited frank presentation, a sense of baring yourself. If he was honest with himself, while both males and females had their attractions for him, he’d always felt easier in male company – Cadance and his aunts being honourable exceptions, or his father, with whom it had been the other way around.

Most females were too blinded by his princely title to see the real stallion. With males, like sweet Basil, he’d usually be given the chance to seek them out, and see if they genuinely reciprocated. He had the feeling that, whatever her anxious reaction when he’d come across her, Miss Bjorgman’s worry had little to do with him finding her enjoying personal use of the Hall’s grounds. That made him inclined to like her more.

“No, I suppose you wouldn’t know it before you try,” Blueblood acknowledged. “But... You know, I used to believe it was so daring, taking off on that ship with Sooty and Wally. A year on a Grand Tour, like the gentry used to do… I thought that, if I never experienced anything like it again for a hundred years, the feeling would last forever... But then I came back. And nothing had changed.”

He sighed and looked at her.

“I’m sorry. I’m talking about myself again,” he said. “I do hope that, however short your respite here may be, Miss Bjorgman, it’ll help you in this war.”

The serene smile she wore tugged at her lips. “Oh, don’t worry, Your Highness,” she said gently. “I like hearing stories, much as Hanne likes recording them. Any rest, well, I’d take anything for a good night’s rest, every day of every week. And I’m sure all of us do, really.”

She leaned back, but Blueblood thought he saw faint traces of a blush.

“I mean, look at me! I mean–” Ana said, rapidly. Her arms had been outstretched, as if she were presenting to the whole wide world. Blueblood wondered at how she flipped back and forth between a common sort of wisdom and whatever this was. ”I-I’m sorry you saw me like… this,” the human said, folding her arms across her chest. “Just… there’s no easy way to put it. We’re all tired and… and I thought I’d indulge a bit, in what I used to do before all this. Being free.”

“Ah,” said Blueblood. “What did you use to do, before all this?”

“Well, uh, music?” she said quickly. “Playing the guitar under the stars, with friends and– don’t mind me, this is just– me indulging, how I prefer to be. But I like music.” She giggled. “There was this one time when… I decided to play a song. It’s a good one and I might show it to you one day, but anyway– so, I played it, right? Everyone sang along and… there it was. Reindeer in the fire.”

Blueblood stared at her. “Pardon?”

"Sometimes I feel like there's something weird, y'know?” Ana continued glibly. “For most people, life on Earth, well, it seemed so… so normal, they’d sort of wish something weird would happen. Then, once it did… Well. But I wonder... when the same weirdness keeps happening to you, does that make it normal?”

“Like what?”

“Like Reindeer...” said Ana. “Always, always there in my head. What’s their deal here? I feel it… got more, um, frequent when the war started. Do you, uh, have any idea why that might be?”

* * * * *

“No… I have no idea,” said Blueblood, stroking his beard. “Sounds like it’s another mystery.”

She met her gaze with the Prince’s. His eyes, she thought, were remarkably blue. Here, though, they darted left and right, briefly, as if he’d rather be anywhere else. He seemed stricken. As though something in her words had reached out to him, more deeply than any other they might have shared in all of this. An intimacy which she hadn’t suspected. And yet, look at her, talking like she was. To royalty, no less… Mind you, this was Equestria. From what she’d seen, all the Princesses showed the same openness as Lady Cadance. She just thought it wasn’t what she’d have expected from this Prince.

As it was, he opened his mouth. Then he closed it again. She let it pass, and shrugged.

“Maybe,” Ana pondered. “Ah, well, not all questions need answering, eh?”

“Madame Heartstrings would disagree,” said Blueblood. “But what I can agree to, Miss Bjorgman, is that sometimes you just need to take a break from it all… if our little chat here hasn’t made it blindingly obvious.”

He stood up.

“Often, I’m good at a quick sip of the bottle,” Blueblood said. “Still, I’ve been trying to cut back on this trip… Sailors drink often and plenty, anyway. So I’ve sought relaxation in other places, some more acceptable than others,” he winked slyly. “Lyra Heartstrings is a gifted musician, though. Shame she didn’t make it to the Royal Orchestra. But as it happens, she… had suggested a small get-together this evening.”

And now, Ana felt sure her smile was finally genuine.

“If it’s… not too much to ask,” she said, tentatively. “Any room for a guitar?”

“I was hoping you’d say that,” Blueblood said genially. “I know for sure Madame Heartstrings would be pleased to have a human around.”

“Oh, I’m sure she would be,” Ana said wistfully. The memory of Ambassador Heartstrings resurfaced as it often did.

Once again, Ana saw him give the fading sunlight an inquisitive glance.

“I’d say we have half an hour,” Blueblood commented. “Enough to set you up. If you don’t mind. I won’t take offense should you decline.”

“Sure,” said Ana, shrugging. “I don’t mind. I... just need to stretch a little first, if you don’t mind?”

“Naturally,” said Blueblood. Right as Ana stood up, his eyes fell upon the gear she’d left lying in the grass. “Hm. Some of this equipment looks quite heavy. If you’ll allow me…”

He didn’t wait for an answer before his horn shone gold, lifting the whole of it in a glowing aura, which he brought to circle around him in a ring of levitation – then close in on itself, as the material appeared to compress into thin air.

“Wait, wait, wait!” Ana cried, reaching out frantically. “W-what are you doing?”

Blueblood smiled and didn’t stop. “Oh… I thought you’d seen magic before. Don’t worry,” he said reassuringly. “This won’t damage it. I’m merely storing it in my null-space. A trick known to all the most gifted unicorns.”

He gave a single flick of his horn, and before Ana’s bewildered eyes, everything he’d picked up – her combat fatigues and armour, her new cap, even her basket and guitar – vanished into a tiny white dot, with a single, chiming gleam before dissipating.

“There,” Blueblood said happily. “Much easier to carry things this way.”

“That’s not– that’s not what I–” Ana stammered, chewing upon her knuckle. Then she let her shoulders slump. Looked as if she’d have to make do without any clothes for now. Hanne would be so proud.

Sure she would,’ tittered the voice in her head. ‘Nice going, ya big goof.

She shuffled nervously on her feet. The grass felt coarser than ever, tickling her soles. At least Hanne or Harwood wouldn’t be there to scold her silly.

“I… I probably should put something on–” Ana began, but Prince Blueblood cut her off with a casual nod.

“That won’t be necessary, Miss Bjorgman,” said Blueblood, not unkindly. And Ana realised he must have thought this a courtesy. “This is not a ball or anything, there really is no need for formal attire.” He tugged at his jacket beneath the longcoat. “I just keep this on out of habit. I prefer the naval dress code, frankly.”

“I-ah– alright, um.”

Ana thought about it. She shrugged. After all, this was not Ambassador Lyra Heartstrings she’d be going to meet, she told herself.

“Thank you for agreeing to this,” said Blueblood. “I’ll show you the way, Miss Bjorgman.”

“Just call me Ana, yeah?” Ana said awkwardly. And deep down, she could somehow hear the little voice in her head giggling with impish mischief. “... Actually, uh, may I borrow your longcoat, please? I like coats.”

~ Gallopoli, Equestria ~

The day was practically spent, yet the streets of Gallopoli in Summer remained warm at night. Lamps began to light throughout the town. Together the two dragons strode through the streets, undisturbed by passers-by. So too had Ember and Garble been giving each other the silent treatment, since the embarrassment at the cliffs. But his beatnik gear was now tucked safely in her burlap sack, next to Spykoran’s canister.

They entered the harbour office. It was mostly empty, this time of day. Only a tall, grey earthpony mare was there, fast asleep at the porch. Her braided mane and tail hung to the side, her forehooves covering a large brown envelope.

“Looks like someone’s had a long day, huh?” Garble opined, but Ember said nothing.

A long wooden desk, going from wall-to-wall, cut the room in half. A wall of filing cabinets occupied the space behind the desk. As did a khaki-coated Kirin in naval uniform, with a notepad upon the desk.

“We’d expected we’d see you here a lot sooner, Your Highness,” said Overseer Kenji.

A Kirin of lower rank than those Ember had known in Court, he nonetheless did not employ the Common Tongue any more than the Language of the Cherry Blossom to address her, but the form of speech known as Low Ryupponese.

Ember, however, stuck to Common in her reply, so it would be understood by everyone present.

“I’ve got someone for you,” said Ember. “My bodyguard.”

Garble nearly choked. “What–”

“Hm.” Kenjii tapped his pen against his notepad. He now spoke Common in turn. “A military vessel is no place for tourists, Highness. You may be dispensed as royalty and ward of our Mikado, but we don’t need extra mouths. We need sailors.”

“Oh, Garble here’s a sailor,” Ember smiled. “Ain’t that right, Garble?”

“But– no, I–”

“Sure you are,” Ember nodded at Kenji. “Check his bags, Commander.”

Before Garble could react, the Kirin’s aura pulled out the striped shirt. Kenji nonchalantly examined the attire.

“That’s good enough for me. You’re in the crew now, dragon.”

“But that pony–” Garble protested, pointing out the sleeping earthpony.

“–has to go through customs,” Kenji said curtly. “She’s a citizen of Equestria, and you are not. You don’t have a passport. Fair game.”

~ The Hall of Unity ~

Music was a delicate art. Lyra Heartstrings knew that quite well. And although she had a reputation as an oddball theorist with a passion in cryptozoology, in Ponyville, many knew her for a busking musician. The lyre within her aura’s grip sounded a gentle melody, as its strings plucked in harmony with her thoughts. It was her calling. Here, away from the stage where she had spoken to the world, she was in her own world.

For this strange little gathering, she sat atop a table covered in white cloth, her legs crossed and eyes closed, lightly bobbing her head, following the melody she played. It was a song she’d discovered one day, in-between perusing tomes to back her ideas down at Golden Oaks Library. A song that playfully told the story of a hapless prince and the flower with which he sought to charm a princess of old.

Lyra wondered which of the two Royal Sisters it could have been, but if she had to guess, she’d have said it was the very Princess of the Moon now in attendance by Twilight’s side, listening to her play the soothing tune in awestruck silence. Well, time to impress, then.

The melody picked up. It flowed, rose and fell, it following her will and dancing as Lyra saw fit. She knew Bonbon was watching, too. Best to make her prouder still. Her magic weaved, plucking the strings. It coursed through her, enticing, embracing. In a company of old friends and new visitors from strange lands, Lyra Heartstrings’ talent shone bright as her mark. Just as it rose one final time, the melody slowed, ending with the last few gentle plucks. All around the dining-room, her audience applauded, whether by hoof, hand, paw, or claw.

All of it the same to Lyra’s refined ear.

“Thanks,” she smiled abashedly, setting down the lyre to take her bows. “And that was The Winds That Move The Aurora, which I came across one day while researching the history of the Crystal Realm, and the Frozen North.”

To cap it all off, Lyra had said this in Common, her Upper Canterlot accent out in full force. Bonbon went up to plant a small kiss on her cheek. “Beautiful, love.”

This made Lyra blush, but the scattered laughs this attracted were benign.

Afterwards, amidst the gathering’s varied attendees, it didn’t take long for Lyra to lose Bonbon in the crowd again. But it didn’t matter. There were plenty of faces to see, to mingle with.

Kiku, the Captain of the Expedition. Princess Luna. Headmaster Nexus. The Erklasses and Proxenos Darkhoof. The two hippogriff delegates. Prince Haakim. The other-Moondancer…

Or the fellow who’d spotted her just now.

“Lyra!” called the scruffy thestral stallion, who wore a hat with its brim pinned against the sides, exposing large, tufted and incredibly soft ears.

Lyra gasped, both forehooves to her cheeks. “Is that…”

She gasped, taking in the stallion. He was a dull grey-blue, with a grey mane streaked through with brown. On his flank lay the mark of a bookshelf.

“It is!” the thestral said, a warm smile on his face.

“Professor Shriek!” Lyra cried out, her face breaking out into a grin as she jumped towards the batlike pegasus. “It’s been too long!”

“Tell me about it,” Shriek laughed. “I was thinking you would’ve upended Equestrian history much earlier! You, in Ponyville, living near the Bearers of Harmony?”

“The time sort of gets away from you in Ponyville,” Lyra said sheepishly.

“Ah, don’t worry,” Shriek said. “Had I a bit for every day I didn’t upend Equestrian history, I wouldn’t have to beg for grant money! And isn’t that mud in the eye to ol’ Catseye!”

They laughed, as if sharing a private joke, although mention of her old classmate did give Lyra a twinge of unease.

“Oh, I’ve missed your classes so much,” said Lyra.

“According to campus police, anyway!” Shriek said, and they both let out a hearty laugh.

“I mean, honestly,” Lyra wheezed, “Dunno how wearing a buckball cap and prescription glasses fooled them so long!”

“And… the… the moustache!?” Shriek choked. “How… why… Where d’you even get a moustache in your mane colour!”

“Pinkie Pie,” Lyra said. “She’s, ah…”

“The Bearer of Laughter? Planned my niece’s mark mitzvah?” Shriek asked, his lime-green eyes twinkling with happiness. “Wait, wait. Never mind. That explains everything!

He burst into laughter yet again. Lyra, after a moment’s pause, joined him. She didn’t understand it herself, but they’d shared laughter so often before that it didn’t matter at all. Between bouts of laughter, forehooves around one another, Lyra’s eyes panned left and right, taking in the sight of the attendees, all busy in their corners, but as content as she hoped they would be.

There was Bonbon, who’d gone off to converse with Professor Nexus near the door. Perhaps she was prying for stories from him. No matter. Lyra could certainly ask around for her embarrassing stories, too. Then there was Twilight, chatting animatedly and excitedly with the Princess of the Night, who looked glowing tonight, in spite of her all-too-evident exhaustion, and Ilsa the Snow Maiden, both of whom listened with vested interest. It’d have something to do with amulets, Lyra wagered.

Never change, Twi’…

Luna and Ilsa weren’t the only leaders present, but from the way they carried themselves, one could be forgiven for thinking this was as Lyra wished it to be, a gathering between friends.

As she parted ways with Shriek, however, one thing gave Lyra a pang of regret. She no longer could see the PHL’s Moondancer.

“They’re over there, for the love of…”

It was a sleek-grey griffon by her that spoke, jabbing a talon in the direction of Queen Novo and General Skybeak, who looked as comfortable as any of their reclusive kind could get, chatting over a few drinks at their table. The hedgehog before her nodded hurriedly, and went away, tray in hand.

But it was the longcoat-clad, guitar-bearing figure by her side that caught Lyra’s eye.

“Hey, Professor? I got some… research to do,” said Lyra. “Catch you around later.”

“Anytime!”

Lyra turned, approaching the figure with confident stride. This one was not Alex, but a human was a human. And by her luck, the human was only with her companion, the fierce-looking griffon. Who looked fiercer still with heavyset brows and a sneer upon her beak.

“I swear, Ana,” the griffon grumbled, magenta eyes still trained on the hedgehog waiter, “those guys are pretty fuckin’ oblivious.”

“Aw, Frieda, come on,” the human replied, plucking her guitar, “he wasn’t that bad.”

“Hey, I dunno how you can mistake me for a hippogriff, Ana. Only that hedgehogs don’t exactly have the best eyesight,” said the griffon, her tail flicking at the human’s nose. “Nor does anyone else here, apparently. You’ve really gotta put something more on.”

“Easy for you to say, psh, just, don’t worry about it, I’m feeling just fine...” the human began. But then her eyes, large turquoise-blue eyes, fell upon Lyra. “Oh my, here she comes… Ahem, Madame Heartstrings, good evening!”

By Celestia, her voice was so warm. She didn’t look as heavily armoured as Alex would, with her pale skin only partially covered by the longcoat. Her kind eyes and short-cut, strawberry-blonde hair completed a welcoming image.

Lyra broke into a friendly smile. “Hi! I’m Lyra.”

Pause. They’d already known that. Stupid, stupid. But the lady chuckled. “Heh, been a tiring day, I’ll bet,” she said. “I’m Ana, Ana Bjorgman, and this is Frieda.”

“Howdy,” said Frieda. “Yeah, not the only one busy today, ma’am. Ana’s here been busy.”

“Oh, quiet, you.”

“Ahah, just Lyra is fine, thanks, ahem…” said Lyra, chuckling. “So, uh, how’d you guys, sorry, whaddaya think of, you know, this Equestria?”

“Oh, it’s been fun!” Ana said eagerly. Frieda’s sly glance at her back didn’t escape Lyra’s notice. “Just, you know. Lotta, lotta stuff to think about, gosh…” She cleared her throat. “So um, wonderful performance you got there, ma’am. Lyra. Lyra, yeah. I liked it. Frieda, too.”

“She plays the guitar,” Frieda cut in, thumbing at the woman’s instrument. “What she means, is that she appreciates music.”

Lyra shook her head. “Who doesn’t? I mean… it’s a fine art and all, and…”

She drifted off. Her eyes fell upon Ana’s left hand, upon her hip. Then down to her fingers holding the guitar...

“Hey, wanna know the funniest thing?” Lyra said. “I actually liked hands way before I’d heard about you guys. See, I got curious about this lyre-thing after reading about in some book on Minotaurs– I’m sure Twilight recommended it to me or something. But I figured I had to… Y’know, I wanted to try it. So I tinkered around with a couple of spells, until finally, I’d molded a nifty floating hand… Kind of like a familiar, you could call it? I named him ‘Handy’. And then, just in time for show-and-tell, I turned up with Handy and a lyre, and…”

She glanced at her flank, where she knew Ana’s eyes would be looking.

“Ooh~” said Ana, nodding.

“Yeah. Personally I thought the song I played wasn’t that amazing, but the class disagreed. Clearly, so did destiny. Funny thing, ain’t it?”

“Yeah, well, heh,” said Ana, pausing for another musical giggle. Frieda rolled her eyes. “Not exactly our thing, you know. I mean, you can see… Well, um, actually, I hope you don’t…”

Seeing her blush, Lyra waved her off. “Nah, don’t worry about it,” she assured. “I can tell ya right now that anyone who calls you a blank-flank is probably just a kid, or hasn’t grown out of that phase yet.”

Ana laughed, and so did Lyra. Frieda looked befuddled, but Lyra didn’t think much of it.

“What is it that you do, exactly?” Lyra asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh, I’m, Frieda and I, sorry,” she stammered. “Ahem. We’re here to test the waters. So to speak. I’m not sure I have the clearance but, that’s the gist of it– see how things are, report back…”

“She’s here cos’ she speaks Equish, ma’am– Lyra,” said Frieda. “Eases things, you know. I’m here cos’ I can crunch the numbers.”

Somehow, Ana managed to look a little serious. “But I used to teach chemistry, you see, before the war,” she explained. “And… Well, Cultural Preservation’s planning this big exhibition, right, to commemorate humanity here on Equus. I was thinking… No, requested that I might take a teaching job once more.”

“Ah. Fancy,” Lyra stated. “I know Twilight would like that…”

A polite cough interrupted them. Lyra turned, and saw Lady Cadenza and Twilight stand there. She wasn’t sure how long they’d been around.

“I’ll take it from here, Agent Bjorgman, Agent Pinfeather,” Cadenza said primly. Twilight waved at Lyra, accompanied by a friendly little smile.

“Oh, oh, I’m sor–” Ana began, but the PHL superior shook her head.

“No, it’s… quite alright, actually,” said Cadenza. “I recognise the longcoat.” Could that be a cheeky grin shimmering beneath the surface? “This is so like Astron, he always did like the exotic. And goodness knows everyone here needs a release… Especially if they’re human, Miss Bjorgman. But, I was hoping I could talk to Lyra for a bit?”

“We got a table,” said Twilight. “Princess Luna said we could take it, she had to leave early. You wanna come?”

There wasn’t much anyone there could argue against that. Before long, Lyra found herself walking by Twilight and Cadenza, towards one of the tables already prepared. The mood wasn’t exactly tense, she felt. Just a little uneasy. When was the last time, she thought suddenly, that Cadenza had spoken with her Twilight…

Most of her worries faded, when the three of them took their seats, far away from the murmurs of the crowd. Lady Cadenza rested her hooves on her chin, eyes moving back and forth between Lyra and Twilight.

“So! Lovely performance, Lyra,” said Cadenza, smiling. She nudged Twilight. “Don’t you agree?”

“Hush, of course I do!” Twilight retorted. “I haven’t heard Lyra play in a while either. I probably missed a lot, too.”

“Thanks, Cadance, and don’t sweat it, Twi’,” said Lyra. “Didn’t get much chance to pluck strings either these past few weeks… But I’ve still got it.”

“You know, honestly,” Cadenza said, shaking her head, “I’m not surprised Astron's got a threesome planned already.”

“Really?” said Lyra. “I'm sure he wouldn’t jump to that so quickly. Pretty sure Miss Bjorgman's just friendly with everyone. She seems the type.”

Cadenza gave her a curious look. “Um, Lyra… I don’t know if this ever came up in your research… But, ah, you know humans usually wear more clothes than that, everyday, right?”

“They do? Wait…”

Lyra nearly choked on what she’d just drank, as only now did something she’d never thought of, but which should have been starkly obvious, catch up to her.

“Yes, I…” said Cadenza. “You know what, don't worry about it. I’m sure whatever Astron does with his partners is his business.”

Now Twilight, on whom a look of bewilderment had grown throughout their exchange, piped up.

“Uhhh, what’s a threesome?”

As she felt her shock subside, Lyra saw the funny side of this, and had to hold back laughter. “You'll find out later, Twi’,” she told her friend. “So, Cadance. You… You should totally set them up, by the way.”

“What?”

“Yeah, you know,” said Lyra, nodding towards where Ana stood with the Prince and the griffon. “Over there. Bluenose and his new paramour. Throw in Frieda too, while you’re at it. Admit it, Cadenza.” She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. “You were imagining them all together.”

“I was not!” Cadenza spluttered. “I’m the Princess of Love, not… whatever this is!”

“Hey,” said Lyra. “If you’re gonna matchmake, go for it! I ain’t judging, heh-heh.”

But Twilight was still looking querying. Only now, her attention was focused on Cadenza. And Lyra, having known Twilight in school, recognised this as Twilight’s look when she had a knotty problem she was trying to solve.

“Twi’? What’s up?”

“One thing bothers me,” said Twilight, staring at Cadenza. “You… you’re Princess of Love, right? Where you’re from.”

Cadenza looked back at her. “Yes?”

“Well…” said Twilight. “Cadance… Princess Cadance, you say she told you the Prismia story. And… that didn’t ring any bells.”

Sighing, Cadenza shook her head. “No. Sorry. All I know is that, one day, Celestia– she was still Princess, back then– came for me in Florentina. There was no mysterious traveller. No harsh Winter… No Plane of Images.”

“Here’s what I don’t get,” said Twilight. “How come… you got a horn?”

Cadenza eyed them, a calculating look.

Wordlessly, her horn began to glow, but it wasn’t the familiar baby-blue of Princess Cadance. Instead, Cadenza’s horn glowed a pleasant rosey pink. As it glowed, Cadenza reached up and brushed her mane aside. She fumbled a little, nudging something. And when she was done, she leaned forwards, giving Twilight and Lyra a clearer view of the horn’s base.

Lyra’s eyes widened. It was no unicorn’s horn. It was crystal, beneath what she thought was skin.

“Fancy, isn’t it?” said Cadenza. She pulled back, her hoof fixing the fibre back to where it was, and brushed her mane back. “Celestia had it gifted to me, a few years after the Crystal War. It was either this or a pair of wings and… well, I didn’t want to take up two prosthetics, not when one could be given to another in need.”

“Whoa,” said Twilight. “Is that… is that some sort of fiber covering it?”

“Mhm. Maretonian, at first. Then after I’d joined the PHL, the guys at R&D improved it further. As for the aura’s colour… well, it reminds me of Florentina. Just a little bit of everything, you know.”

“I’ve heard of Saddle Mareabians doing something like this…” said Twilight. “This kind of… of horn graft. But it only works on stallions, who are a product of generations of artifical magical-imbibing, thanks to powdered crystal…”

“I am a pegacorn, descended from Luna,” Cadenza noted. “That’s why it took to me so well.”

“Turned out this went further than we knew, though, didn’t it?” said Lyra. “With those runes of Alex’s. Which you’re now going to learn more about, Twi’. Betcha Rarity will be pleased her guess was spot-on. Not to mention… Saddle Mareabia! I can just hear her,” she grinned, affecting Rarity’s most excited voice. “‘Ooh, darling, how wondrous! The household of a greater sorcerer!’”

Her friend looked cross. “Technically, it isn’t the stallion’s household in Saddle Mareabia…”

“It’s so like you, Twilight,” Lyra remarked, “to know about Saddle Mareabian herd dynamics and politics, but need to be told what a threesome is.”

Twilight’s frown was deepening. “So. Is anyone gonna explain, or...?”

Lyra smiled tolerantly. “Twi’, pal, there's a lot you need to catch up on.”

~ Holy City of Farsina, Saddle Mareabia ~ Day 12 of the Convocation ~ Twenty-First Day of the Month of Rophon, Year 3 of the Era Harmoniae ~

The al-Husan Estate was massive, covering a large space of land in Farsina.

The corridor Amira strode down was rich, floors of exquisite sandstone sheathed in marble, and lined by the alcoves that held plinths for old statues from around the world. All purchased at great expense, naturally. The surrounding walls were painted the familiar orange, while redstone lined the mantles that separated the walls’s tope from the vaulted ceiling. The arches were classically Mareabian, with only the slightest hint of Minotaur influence visible in the mantles attaching the stone arch.

It was a visible symbol of her husband’s wealth and privilege, demanding awe from those who visited or even lived within these walls for the head of this household. And yet, none of this had kept him from being taken away, imprisoned for his own negligence and arrogance.

“After a year of damage control, this family still has to make sacrifices...”

Amira was muttering as she walked. She knew the conversation ahead of her was a necessity, but that didn’t make the prospect any more pleasant, or less challenging. At the end of the corridor was the great door that led to the reception parlour.

Years ago, she and Qabil had agreed that when the time came for serious family talks, they’d be held in that room. Anything which required consulting all other members of the household was, in her eyes, as important as hosting guests. But short of Qabil getting taken hostage or him passing away – the Lady forbid – Amira had never imagined such a discussion would be in her husband’s absence.

Stopping in front of the golden heartwood doors, Amira took a moment to compose herself. For this situation, she had to be at her most authoritative. For a moment she read the script inscribed into the doorway. The old Mareabian writing spoke about the al-Husan household’s great achievements and right now she was responsible for them. Prince Haakim’s support was welcome but token.

Finished, Amira let out the breath she’d been holding, and pushed the door open.

The parlour was beautiful and well-lit and in the middle were several silken sofas. Over in the far corner was a small pool, surrounded by potted plants and shaded by a stately palm tree, Naiya’s favoured haunt. It sat serene and clear at the moment, the faintest of ripples being set off by the flow of freshwater slowly piped in. Sunlight streamed in through a glass-sheathed skylight, illuminating the room.

The others were waiting inside, sitting attentively on the sofas. Heads turned as Amira entered, most of them looking curious. They were all here. Naiya, Haifa and Tahira, the other wives of her husband’s harem.

Those left of it, anyway…’ Amira thought to herself, trying not to go sour.

“Greetings, my dears,” she said, moving to take a seat on her own private sofa. “I thank you for heeding my message. If we are all four of us assembled, as wives of the al-Husan family, I’d like to open this discussion.”

It was the barest formality, but a requirement to start on.

The three’s reactions ranged along the gamut she’d expected. Despite knowing the portentous nature of the event, Haifa gave her a cheerful beam. Naiya’s head-bob, by contrast, was rather more sluggish – already she looked to be nodding off. Tahira merely inclined her head, not trying to hide her frown.

“Very good,” said Amira, reclining into a comfier position, so both her forelegs stretched upon the sofa’s armrests. “Now, as you are aware, two weeks ago, I was summoned by Her Esteemed Majesty, to serve as her companion and her voice to a… familiar acquaintance of ours, Princess Celestia of Equestria.”

She waited to see what reaction this’d provoke. Not surprisingly, even Haifa’s smile faded. But Amira was intrigued as to what Tahira would say. Her curiosity was left unsated, though, when Tahira only steepled her forehooves and remained silent.

“The Sun Princess has sent out a Call to all in our world who’ll listen,” said Amira. “A Call heard by our Malikah, of which the duty to interpret would normally fall to her… court sorcerer,” she faltered a little. “Though, in Qabil’s absence, she had to ask me to lend her Jabir and Hanan.”

If there was one thing all the wives agreed upon, it was their low opinion of Qabil’s royally-mandated apprentices, so she was able to carry on without interruption.

“I’ll keep this brief,” Amira stated. “We travelled to the Hall of Unity. There was a Call of the Concordia Maxima. Over three days, much was said which might sweep in great changes… If you haven’t yet, soon you may hear what news the Convocation has to send… And as I wrote in my message, I was given the chance to petition Princess Celestia to review our beloved’s sentence.”

This caused some stirring, including from Naiya, whose eyes suddenly showed no droop. True to form, Haifa was back to smiling, a proud, glowing smile. Yet it was, as she foresaw, Tahira who finally spoke up.

“And what was this Convocation about… milady Amira?” Tahura said softly, a sharp intent in her eyes that didn’t match her tone. “We all know our beloved would have dearly attended… But, out of us all, you were privileged to go, and be his eyes there.”

“You will learn today,” Amira said evenly. From beneath her caparison, she drew three envelopes. “Yet, before we tread the parched sands of business, a little something to refreshen our hearts… I bring messages from Qabil to all of you.”

Haifa, Naiya, Tahira, each picked the envelope with their name on it, peering at it inquisitively. Amira waited patiently as they opened up and read. A husband they may share, but some things were for one wife’s eyes only. Or their ears. She smiled fondly, resisting the urge to rub her own ear where Qabil had last nibbled it.

Reading the letters was quickly done with, however. Somewhat to her surprise, Haifa was the first to fold hers up. Perhaps Haifa just couldn’t bear the feeling of separation. Tahira was next, Naiya was last, which was no surprise – one was swift and sharp where the other was languid.

“Any questions, before we proceed?” said Amira.

“No, I’m fine, thanks,” said Haifa. “But… this letter, it’s sweet and all, but he makes no mention of what you talked about at the Convocation.”

“Same here,” grunted Naiya.

Tahira again did not speak. Yet from the look in her eyes, Amira suspected Qabil’s letter had hinted at their personal news.

“Alright,” Amira said. She’d speak with Tahira soon enough. “Then here is the great news from the Convocation, in which our family will have its part to play. The Thirteenth Family has returned to our world… and it calls itself ‘Man’.”

“You can’t be serious?”

Amira turned to Tahira, to find the dark-coated mare’s usual composure had dropped.

“I’m most definitely serious,” Amira said in response. “One of them was introduced at the Convocation, where they petitioned every delegate for aid.”

“And what does that mean?” Naiya asked. Her eyes were still open and alert, but Amira could see her azure-coloured spouse was already leaning back to lounge in her seat.

“That the world is going to change, and our family will be at the forefront of this new era.”

Amira knew her spouses would be confused – and so they were, if the looks on their faces were of any evidence, but she’d decided a little bit of dramatic gravitas was necessary. She needed to emphasise the political benefits that were going to come their way, especially if she was going to get Tahira onboard.

“There’s too much I cannot talk about yet,” Amira continued, leaning forward as she could in her reclined stance. “Nor am I certain you’d understand it. It’s taken me long to understand it myself. The focal point, though, is that the Thirteenth Family’s… dying.”

Until she’d put it this way, it had not seemed like the apparent thing to say. Yet in spite of what she knew, that Man’s fate was no death in the physical sense, calling it their death felt like the most honest assessment.

“Dying, but defiant,” she added. “And they have so much to offer. It just happens not to be in their power to stave off their fate, unless Equus offers help in return.”

“What exactly do they want from us?” Tahira asked.

“She means us, us, by the way,” Haifa added, getting a nod from the younger mare.

“Well,” Amira paused, carefully thinking over what she was permitted to reveal. “Whether you believe it or not, the human visitor had runes embedded in his skin, our husband’s runes.”

It took a second for her declaration to sink in. But once it had, each their eyes widened in shock.

“But… how?”

Haifa was Qabil’s second-oldest spouse, having married him at nigh the same time as Amira, and knew well how secretive their husband was about his family’s mysterious arts.

“I don’t know,” Amira lied. “They could be zebra counterfeits, or something they acquired with their own abilities, but what matters is that their representative possesses them and lacks any real understanding of them. He has no actual idea of the powers he is channeling into his body.”

“That’s a problem?” Naiya asked. She was sitting upright and attentive, but seemed to be more interested in being told the news, rather than figuring it out for herself.

“For him it is.” Amira saw Tahira’s eyes light up as she figured out what was going on.

“So, we get to be responsible for saving the life of a recently rediscovered tribe?” Tahira practically declared. “Is this representative their leader, or some other figure of importance?”

“He is a warrior,” Amira replied carefully, “but an important one tied to their highest leadership.”

That seemed to dull Tahira’s enthusiasm. “Then I suppose this endeavour will be some kind of… confederacy, an effort shared between the nations, won’t it?”

“Why would you say that?” Haifa asked, more for the sake of improving her younger spouse’s mood again. Amira knew she preferred it when Tahira was feeling happy and inoffensive.

“Do you really think that a strange creature warranting a gathering of the Convocation would just leave the matter of saving, possibly, his life and race to one family, from one nation?” Tahira’s voice was even, but everyone could feel the hint of condescension in her tone. “There’ll be a committee overseeing everything, at the least.”

“That may be the case,” Amira interrupted before Tahira could continue, drawing a deeper frown from her spouse, “but the fact is, the Convocation cannot actually access our family’s archives without our permission. Qabil has already given his consent, yet I want all of you to be involved in this decision.”

The room returned to silence. Haifa and Naiya were looking to one another for any hint of what the other was planning, while Tahira was staring off into the distance, a calmly ambivalent expression on her face.

“I know what you’re going to ask,” Amira said quietly. “Yes, the runes were what Celestia had to consult Qabil about. And as repayment for giving her access to the archives, we got her to reduce his sentence to just one more year.”

“Inside, or outside?” Haifa asked glibly.

Naiya gave her an odd look, but Amira knew that if it’d been her asking the question, she’d have lacked the jokey, self-aware spin Haifa was trying to put on it.

“Outside, of course,” Amira stated reluctantly. “But his record’s been clean enough that it won’t feel much longer for him, either.”

“A fat lot of good that does us,” Naiya grumbled. “After two years already…”

“Will you please be quiet?” said Tahira. “I say Lady Amira got more out of it than we dared to ever dream of.”

“It’s wonderful news, Amira,” Haifa said, hurrying before Naiya could reply. “But surely you must’ve managed to get a few added goodies thrown into the bargain.”

Amira felt she had reason to smile. Despite Naiya’s grousing, things were going alright. Tahira had spoken positively of her results, and Haifa knew her well enough to see she had done more... Haifa, sweet thing. For the longest time, Amira had thought finding a suitable bachelor for them to marry would only be a formality, a means to appear together in the public eye. Yet Haifa had insisted it must be a stallion they both could love, or it’d be a marriage to drain their souls.

She had strongly doubted it, but chosen to follow Haifa’s wishes. Then she’d met Qabil, and her greatest worry had become that he’d have eyes for only one of them… Or worse, Amira reflected with some mischief, that he’d overshadow Haifa in her eyes.

Fortunately, it had turned out a perfect wedding and a perfect marriage. At least, this was what she’d led herself to believe. Right until she’d witnessed Princess Celestia come forward to say, even with all the cool politeness and compassion Celestia was reknowned for, that her husband was being taken away for a while.

“Amira?” Haifa called from afar. “D’you hear what I just said?”

The words cut into her consciousness. “Sorry,” said Amira, shaking her head. “You’re right. A reduced sentence– it’d feel a bit paltry as the only reward, wouldn’t it?” She gave a carefully-studied smile, but sensed Tahira had noticed her slight hesitation. “Well, there are a number of advantages I managed to secure our family. Priority on delivery from the al-Husan owned crystal mines, travel permits to Equestria’s national treasures, such as–”

“This was all approved by Her Esteemed Majesty?” interrupted Tahira.

Amira felt taken aback by her bluntness. “Nothing was discussed that the Malikah hadn’t formally told me she’d approve of.”

“Well, that’s good,” Tahira said lightly.

Yet when Amira stole a look with Haifa, she saw the golden mare could tell she hadn’t yet told them all she had to tell. Haifa provided her a subtle, intentional nod.

“Then we’re done here?” Naiya asked, yawning.

“Not quite.” Amira gave them all a look. “I just have two questions. The first is, will you support me in opening up the family library to the Convocation? This will mean our estate will be hosting representatives from Equestria and elsewhere, should they send them.”

Everyone nodded. The matter had been settled, but Amira wanted proper confirmation. It helped settle her stomach for the second question.

“Alright then,” she began. “Now that’s out of the way… do you trust me?”

“Of course, my dear,” Haifa said unhesitantly.

“Of course,” Naiya parrotted.

“Yes,” Tahira replied, suspicion in her voice. “Why?”

“Well, you see… I recently made a proposal to Princess Celestia, a very important proposal.”

Amira paused to take a breath. She could speak for her nation in front of the most powerful beings on Equus, or manage a family that, at its largest, had nine spouses including herself, not to mention fourteen children. But right here and now, she felt nervous.

“I requested that we send one of our children to be fostered by the new Royal Family of the Crystal Realm,” Amira finally admitted. “It would improve relations with Equestria, revive our family’s ties with the crystalponies, help us recover our reputation in the eyes of the Court and the wider world, and show the Convocation how ready we are to enter this period of co-operation between the peoples.”

“Which of our children will you be sending?” Tahira asked. Amira sighed. Her youngest spouse’s tone was low and the frown on her face had already become a sharp glare.

“I decided Hadia would be our best choice,” Amira said in response.

“And you didn’t think to consult me first?” Tahira hissed.

“Tahira’s right,” Naiya said. “This is just… not like you. Why didn’t you tell us about this?”

“I had to run this by Her Esteemed Majesty first, and Princess Celestia, and our husband,” Amira undauntedly answered. “I’m sorry. I really am, but this is important, and Hadia’s the best choice.”

“Why don’t you send one of your children?” Tahira spat. “Why should my daughter be thrown at the Equestrians?”

“Tahira, please…” Haifa began, only to be cut off.

“Oh, don’t you try to defend her,” Tahira snapped, turning to her spouse. “This is exactly what…”

“Stop it! All of you!” Amira shouted. Every face in the room turned towards her, and when she realised what she’d done, she sighed. “I’m sorry,” Amira said contritely. “I’m sorry for springing this on you so suddenly, but I had to move quickly. Everything I told you, all of my reasons why I’m suggesting this, are true. This is our chance to take part in the changing world. Your part, Tahira. And Hadia’s.”

Amira saw Tahira’s glare turn back into a mere frown. She had to suppress a grin as she knew the dark-coated mare was beginning to come around.

“Tahira, the Princess has assured me her niece is experienced in raising children, second to none, practically.”

“Is she a mother?” Tahira drawled, her frown deepening again.

“No, but she has taken care of other ponies’ children.” Amira was a little hesitant to answer, yet honesty was now the better policy. “And Hadia will be in the centre of a realm saturated in magical power, likely more well guarded than she is here.”

“She has a point,” Naiya said.

“I thought you were on my side,” Tahira whispered.

Naiya shrugged. “You said you liked me better quiet. Pick one.”

Tahira glared at her fellow spouse, before turning back to Amira. “If this princess isn’t a mother, then are there any in her court with children? Will my daughter have any peers in this place?”

“You normally seem so worried about dear Hadia being distracted by things like that, Tahira,” Haifa spoke up.

“She’s just trying to get out of sending Hadia away,” Naiya drawled.

“Naiya,” Amira snapped, drawing an apologetic nod from the mare.

In truth, the issue of peers was one that concerned her greatly. From the inquiries she’d made, Amira had learned children were not lacking in the Crystal Realm, at least. But except for the Crystal Princess, she’d found no evidence they bothered with families of old blood.

Letting out a tired sigh, Amira rubbed her forehead, then turned back to Tahira.

“I’m sorry, my dear, but I’m afraid I don’t know if there are any children in Princess Cadenza’s Court. It’s only just returned from a horrific limbo and tyrannical grip of a monstrous sorcerer.”

Haifa chuckled. “Heh. Sorcerers. Don’t we know ‘em.”

Amira’s gaze flicked to her closest spouse and silently begged her to stop. She then fixed her youngest spouse with the strongest, most sincere look she could produce, the kind she broke out for the most delicate of negotiations.

“It will be perfectly safe,” she said, “and I’m sure Hadia will thrive. You’ve worked hard to ensure she is strong and intelligent.”

“And independent?” Tahira said, stating what Amira wouldn’t have said. “Yes. That, and what else you’ve listed, is true enough. But a palm tree standing tall amidst dwarven palm trees is no feat. If I had to do this, I’d want peers for my daughter who can meet her halfway, at least.”

Amira had to give her allowance on that. The same worries floated about her mind regarding Qabil. Sometimes, she wished Celestia could have done them the favour of being less indiscriminate with the structure of Erebus. Simply because he was to be sequestered from the world for years, didn’t mean he should lose out on social equals.

She occasionally wondered if Qabil had told her about all the company he kept in prison.

Naiya frowned. “And how undiluted is the Amore bloodline, really?” she said. “Quite apart from having had no realm to rule in centuries, from what I understand, Cadenza wasn’t even raised by Celestia. She grew up in a village.”

They each stared at her in surprise.

“You’ve been paying attention, Naiya,” Haifa commented, an eyebrow raised.

“They say she’s got dreamweaving skill,” Naiya stated, with an airy yawn. “This does interest me. I still have no idea if it’s true, but if it is, that’s a mark of quality, I’ll grant you.”

“Again, I cannot say,” Amira admitted. “This isn’t a matter Celestia would share easily. But Princess Cadenza is an alicorn, like her royal aunt. To answer your question, I doubt it gets any less diluted than that.”

“That still doesn’t answer my question,” said Tahira. “For one thing, her husband. A captain in the Equestrian Guard…”

The Captain of the Guard,” Amira corrected her. “From a Canterlot family that has also produced his sister, Celestia’s personal student, and one of the people we’ll soon receive. I believe those credentials ought to suffice.”

Tahira huffed and leaned back.

“Fine,” she said. “Then the Crystal Princess is in good standing, both on her own merits, and by her male spouse. But here’s the problem.”

There was a pregnant pause. Ominous, yet Amira suspected it was in fact the dark-coated mare who was gathering her own courage. Then she went for it.

“You’ve given me no assurance that Hadia couldn’t be any lonelier, milady Amira,” said Tahira. “The sacrifice a mother makes, when they choose to send their child to live as a ward, is one long-accepted to those of our rank. The beauty of it is that, whereas the child’s guardian may not fill the role of mother, there are others who can. But the Equestrians do not live that way.”

She let them digest what she’d said.

“So,” Tahira concluded. “How can you convince me my child won’t be lacking maternal affection, or the company of those peers her age? Will our family truly gain from it, if my Hadia returns from this a malcontent?”

Amira thought on the issue. Then, after several different ideas ran through her head, she spoke.

“When I brought up this proposal to Princess Celestia,” Amira said, “she confirmed that her royal niece was dedicated to caring for children, and never lost the desire or the talent.” She fixed Tahira with a soft glare. “If you worry about Hadia’s attitude, however, you could always send her off with a full curriculum. You do love to plan her extensive education, after all.”

Tahira blinked in confusion, before she rose an eyebrow. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“You’re so involved in raising her, you have made it clear you are her mother,” Amira continued. “Think on the presence you must have with her. No other mare in this household has directly watched over her like you, and you’ve made it clear what you expect from her. I’m confident your lessons are quite ingrained. She will remember her manners.”

“She also might enjoy the chance at new company,” Haifa added. When everyone turned to her, the golden mare continued. “Honestly, how often has she been taken to court, since our beloved was imprisoned? She’s been locked in her room or the library, taking her lessons, coming out only for meals, or to wander the grounds. She hasn’t left the estate in over a year and I can’t remember the last time I talked to her by myself.”

“Yes,” Amira concurred, feeling a little ashamed and troubled. “I did notice.”

“Maybe,” Haifa continued as she turned to give Tahira a comforting smile, “it will do her some good to get out the house. She may not get to meet many peers in the Crystal Realm, but would that be so different to what she has now?”

And there it was. What Amira had couched in diplomatic language, Haifa stated more openly – but always with a smile. Tahira shifted in her seat. It was clear she felt a circle closing in.

Yet despite her stubbornness, Amira hated to think of Tahira feeling ganged up on. They were meant to be a family. There was good reason all in this room, including Naiya, hadn’t abandoned Qabil after the misfortune that befell him.

A reason in which Princess Cadenza was well-versed, incidentally.

“Tahira,” Amira said, leaning forward, her tone more gentle. “Maybe you’re right. It is a risk. Despite what Haifa just said, Hadia is used to a certain environment– an environment that’d be very different in the Crystal Realm, where families comprise only two spouses and the land is one of ice and snow. But she’s our youngest daughter, and you know what Princess Cadenza can offer that we cannot?”

As Tahira had done before, Amira waited so the others could contemplate. Interestingly, Naiya’s eyes were the first to light up in understanding. Perhaps it had to do with missing Mahala. Amira hadn’t overly cared for that spouse, but she’d had the virtue of making Naiya a little livelier and far happier, back in the day.

Amira let the coin drop. “Hadia needs more than a mother or mothers, Tahira. She needs a father. I was able to shave off another few years for Qabil, but…” She sighed. “At Hadia’s age, a year still is a long time.”

It looked like Tahira had also figured it out, or if she’d already thought of it long ago, and was finally acknowledging it. Princess Cadenza was married to a stallion of repute, if his military career was anything to consider.

He wouldn’t be like their Qabil, a consummate scholar and explorer. But a masculine authority figure could provide plenty in and of itself. What’s more, he was a powerful unicorn, the older brother of Princess Celestia’s protégée, and so had to be adept enough in magic to help in Hadia’s lessons if she needed.

Tahira still looked like she wanted to argue, but the conviction behind it was wavering. The younger mare’s mouth opened a few times and snapped shut. Despite the inadequacies she likely perceived in the Crystal Realm’s rulers, it seemed she agreed some kind of nuclear family was better than what her daughter had now.

“Very well,” Tahira conceded. “But if I am consenting to this, then I’ll be planning her curriculum, in detail. I will also be informing her what’s expected of a daughter of this family. If she does return as a malcontent or troublemaker, I will not tolerate any of you interfering with my right to correct my daughter as I see fit.”

“That’s acceptable,” Amira said in response. Spare the rod, spoil the child.

She’s posturing,’ Amira thought as Tahira raised her head in haughty self-righteousness. ‘And Qabil will intercede if she does actually get out of control. Hadia is his daughter as well.

“I guess that just leaves one more thing,” Haifa piped up, her expression bright and relieved. “Who is going to tell Hadia?”

“I will,” Tahira declared.

“Of course,” Amira said. “That is perfectly alright.”

With that, the room settled down again. Tahira was still grousing, yet overall Amira felt everything had gone well. Without a word, typically, Naiya was the first to peel off, heading for her pool. Tahira looked like she still wanted to say something. But eventually, she got up, muttering she’d go find Hadia.

Then Haifa walked over to Amira’s side, taking the seat next to her.

Amira smiled warmly as the mare she’d shared so many years with settled down and leaned upon her. She did the same, settling her chin over Haifa’s as Qabil so often did with her. Not everything was well, but at this moment, she couldn’t complain. Setting aside the innumerable matters she had to work on, Amira shut her eyes and simply took comfort in the horse that she loved second only to Qabil.

~ Aboard the Kaikishoku, Docked in Gallopoli ~

Captain Kiku, Ryouchi of Ryuppon’s skies, bane of all pirates who dared to sail the heavens blue, grey or black, let out a sigh. It was her only indication of how tired she felt that she’d reveal to the world around her. She was reaching the end of a week filled with frantic activity like she hadn’t experienced in several months. With the new lack of piracy in Ryuppon’s territories and investments, she’d been left with little more to do than patrol. But old habits died hard, and were it just active duty, she wouldn't have been anywhere near as exhausted.

No, it was the ‘special circumstances’ she was being ordered to deal with, and the paperwork that came with it.

At least something is finally happening,’ she thought to herself, as she wandered down the corridors of the Kaikishoku to the primary holding bay.

The ghost of a smile crept on her lips. The last few days had been so busy, she hadn’t had any real time to think, merely obey. Supplies had to be requisitioned, maintenance had to be cleared, checked and rechecked, and everything had to be prepared so the Kaiki could be crewed with the bare minimum of personnel. All of her old energy had returned once the frustratingly unchanging routine had been upended. Placing no truck in rumours, Kiku had refused to allow idle gossip to spread, and had informed every Kirin under her command of the bare facts about their mission. Still, it felt good to do something different. She almost felt like the Ryouchi again, even if she wasn’t going to wage war on piracy this time.

That last thought that killed her smile in an instant. She’d never been the type to wish for war – never complaining when pirate wars came her way either, mind you – but the fact she and the Kaiki were being given a civilian assignment did get under her skin. Then there was the fact the Kaiki, her Kaikishoku, was going to be retrofitted, by foreigners no less. That particular piece of news had almost made her consider demanding Commander Katashi lodge a formal complaint to His Majesty.

The few members of her crew she did come across moved aside to let her by, making way so she could finally make it to where the new replacements were waiting. Pushing open one last bulkhead, Kiku stepped into the spacious expanse of the primary hold and beheld the fresh meat that stood awaiting her.

Overseer Kenji stood on the other side of the bulkhead, and he’d taken care to line everyone up. He nodded courteously at his Captain. There were three rows, all told, one for each sky-turtle. A quick headcount of the first row, which matched the two behind it in length, showed just enough people to supplement the skeleton crew she’d been forced to ship out with. At least whoever in Equestria organised this had remembered to do the numbers.

Two-hundred-odd crew members.

What a waste that’d be, if she had to kick anyone off.

At first, Kiku felt some small reassurance to see the expected equine figures in the crowd. While the average pony was smaller and stockier in than a Kirin, their body structures were similar enough that, once whipped into shape, they should adapt to a sky-turtle without much difficulty. But her heart sank as she focused, and saw distinctly non-equine figures jutting from the lot.

Two bipeds, the taller one standing head and shoulders above the rest, while even the shorter one exceeded those around him by about a head-and-a-half. A Minotaur and a dragon, both barely out of adolescence. Although the Minotaur stood straight, bronzed arms behind his back, eyes gazing forward, Kiku would sooner have ten more like the slouched and surly red drake. You could trust a dragon to be moody. You couldn’t trust a Minotaur to be anything. And then Kiku started when she noticed the next outlier. Her forehoof was halfway to reaching her sword, before she realised this wasn’t a pirate who’d had the audacity to board her ship. Not a parrot, but rather a bright-eyed young griffon, her plumage an oddly inviting shade of grey.

Resisting an urge to shake her head, Kiku swept her gaze over the rest. She found only ponies. Yet whereas many ponies displayed hints of nervousness – twitching hooves, chewing lips – the three others showed anything but. There was the Minotaur’s placidity, while the dragon gave a contemptuous snort. And unless Kiku was mistaken, the griffon girl was actually smiling, as carefree as a sky-whale riding the lightning.

Her frown must have turned into a glower by now, Kiku thought to herself as she saw nervous looks convert into anxiety. Stepping away from the bulkhead and Overseer Kenji, she walked up to the new recruits.

Commander Katashi was already there, a clipboard in the grip of his magic as he marched along the front row, checking off whatever items were on the inventory. Unlike Kenji, he did not seem to have noticed her arrival, or the sudden shift they made in her presence.

“Commander,” Kiku called out in a stern tone. “What do we have with us today?” She had called out in Low Ryupponese, and could see a few individuals in the rows blink as her likely-incomprehensible words registered with them.

“Captain,” Katashi responded, turning to face her and bowing his head. “It is an honour to witness your presence. This one has finished orientering the recruits to the basic requirements of the mission and completed their individual evaluations in preparation for your arrival. Every one of them is awaiting your assignment.”

“Good,” Kiku replied. Flicking her head a little, she dismissed the commander and turned to properly regard the ranks.

“Listen up,” Kiku shouted, switching to the Common Tongue. She’d have preferred the more elegant Modern Equish, and it always felt hard on her to use this pidgin talk, but she had no excuse for letting Katashi do all the talking. “Every single one of you is now aboard the Kaikishoku, my Kaikishoku! And as long as your hooves, your feet or whatever it is you crawl upon, walk its boards, you take orders from me. I am the voice of the Heavens for all of you now, and you will take every word I say as if were given by the Lady Herself. Am I clear?”

“Yes, ma'am!” the ranks replied, most of them standing to attention. Those who didn’t at least looked like they were paying attention.

“The Kaiki will be put in the ground-docks in one day for…”

She trailed and proceeded to curse under her breath as the right word escaped her. The flow of her speech had been broken.

“This one believes the word is ‘retrofitting’, Captain,” Katashi whispered helpfully.

“Yes,” Kiku continued in a tone that, whilst still stern, was much slower and more deliberate.

Curse it that while she had as fine a head for numbers as any Kirin, letters were not her forte. With the dressing-down she’d originally planned no longer an option, better she just state her message and finish the whole ordeal.

“The Kaiki will be sent for retrofitting to make it fit for this expedition to the Frozen North. You will all be assigned important duties for this. Any failures or incompetence will result in you getting kicked off this ship.”

Despite the slight hiccough, it seemed the recruits understood the grvaiity of what she declared. Turning to Katashi, Kiku gave him an expectant look and he nodded in turn.

“Commander Katashi has your assignments listed down,” Kiku then said. “You shall be given them along with a billet aboard the Kaiki. Make a note of them and where each and every one of you is supposed to be and where you shouldn’t. If I find any of you in a…” Another pause before the word came to her, “in a restricted area, you get kicked off. Am I clear?”

“Yes, ma’am!” the response came loud and clear once again.

“Good,” Kiku snapped, giving them one last stern glower before turning away from them all.

“I want them billeted and ready to work by tonight,” Kiku said to Katashi, switching back to Low Ryupponese as he walked back to the front. “The sooner we get this over with, the better. I also want it clear that I expect the best.”

“This one understands perfectly,” Katashi said in response.

“And keep the dragon away from the lightning relays,” Kiku added almost absently. “The last thing we need is a thunderblast before we leave. In fact, keep him away from any of the exposed wiring while the Kaikishoku is getting retrofitted.”

“This one will make sure to assign the cabin-boy Garble to safe areas,” Katashi replied.

“Keep the griffon away from me, too.”.

“Of course, Captain. This one understands completely.”

* * * * *

In the lull that followed the Captain’s pronouncement, there was time for mutters to arise.

“Well,” said the griffon girl. “Boss’s a tough customer, ain’t she?”

Several around her grumbled in agreement, but Galatea offered a mere nod.

She began tapping the wooden deck, gently, letting the sound fade into the crowd’s noises. The familiar texture of Ryupponese pine welcomed her chapped hooves. Relatively soft to the touch, though not built for comfort. She glanced to the metallic plates covering the ceiling, ornately carved with scales, arranged to be aesthetically pleasing, yet designed for protection. All around her this pattern repeated, with a wooden deck reinforced by metal, woven within the other...

The newly-minted crew were dispersing, one by one, to where they were needed. Galatea was, for the most part, standing alone on this deck. So she walked off at a brisk pace, taking the sight in of all around her. The Kirin had changed throughout periods of stagnation and progress. But what never eluded them, even as they grew driven by profit motive, was the artisanship which marked their culture so distinctly, in peace and in wartime.

The sky-turtle was worthy of its name. Few windows offered a look outside, and what little it did have were reinforced, crisscrossing metal and shutters substituting for fragile glass. If Galatea’s eyes didn’t deceive her – and they rarely did – only a few, retractable platforms offered access to the outside world on this deck, for protection remained of paramount importance. Whatever earned the Kirin’s wrath, Galatea mused, would have to be a patient foe indeed.

Gingerly, Galatea followed the steps leading to the lower decks. It was a different story here. Metal overcame wood, and as she walked, the crew’s steps were interrupted by a metallic ‘clang’ whenever they stepped on the metal plates that separated the compartments. She did not mind the cold emanating from the hull. It was a familiar feeling to her, shaped by centuries of sleeping beneath the stars, accompanied only by the cool night air and the dying embers of a campfire.

Shaking her head clear of those memories, she strode up to the crew’s Overseer, a Kirin stag who was standing by the bulkhead that split off into different staircases to the various decks.

“Excuse me, guv,” she spoke. The Overseer looked at her. “D’you know where I can be givin’ me noggin’ a rest? Could do with a kip.”

A touch too blunt,’ she thought, as soon as the words left her lips. ‘I suppose it has been two years. Longest time I’ve spent away from this lifestyle of mine…

The Overseer, thankfully, was familiar enough with the accent to give her a nod. Good. He was a well-travelled stag, then. But his eye turned towards what she wore on her forehead, and he raised a brow in askance.

“Ah, ah,” Galatea spoke up hastily. “Don’t worry, I got a permit for this. Got the ol’ princess’s hoofprint and all tha’. So don’t mind the goggles, jus’ a lil’ bit o’ a personal touch from the Isles.” She looked down her own form, clad in the same, blue-and-white striped shirt worn by the common crew, and back to the stag. “I’ve got the uniform part ‘andled right, yeah?”

The Overseer considered this a moment. But her explanation seemed to satisfy, if reluctantly.

“It’ll pass,” said he, in a rough, gravelly voice. “Just be sure to stick to what you need.”

“Aye, well,” Galatea said. “S’ppose you will be seeing more o’ mine face ‘round ‘ere. Anyways, what I needs is a lil’ shuteye. No offence, guv. But I got time before me shift.”

After an indifferent shrug, the Overseer gestured curtly towards the right, indicating one of the various staircases leading further down into the ship’s belly.

“Much appreciated,” she said politely. “‘Ave a good one, and cheers.”

He merely granted her another prim nod. Off Galatea went, passing various faces on her way. Many seemed just as uncertain as she’d been, scrambling to find their way from the loading bay. She could not blame them. New environments were new experiences. Blinking, Galatea reached up to absent-mindedly brush against both her braid, and her safety goggles.

Even she could not so easily let go of a few old mementos…

So distracted was Galatea, she didn’t see the griffon flying down her way. Or she did, in the last few seconds, at least. But the griffon did not, tumbling into her, leaving the two of them sprawled on the wooden deck.

“Oi, careful, lass,” Galatea said, hopping back to her hooves, dusting off the griffon. “You good?”

“Sorry! Dunno how I didn’t see ya there, lady,” the griffon replied hurriedly, flashing her a cheerful smile. “Guess I am a little jumpy today– sorry, gah, just, it’s all so exciting!”

The griffon, by now, had hovered up in the air without a feather out of place, gesturing wildly, her satchel forgotten on the floor. She too was clad in the same uniform Galatea wore, albeit one tailor-made to match a griffon’s build.

“Can’t say I blame ya, lil’ bird,” said Galatea. She lifted the griffon’s satchel, with a small smile offered too. “Hold on to tha’, experience tells me it won’ be a walk in the park, ay?”

“Absolutely! Thanks! Catch up with ya later, uh…”

“Shale,” said Galatea smoothly. “Jus’ Shale will do.”

“Gabriella!” said the griffon. “But you can call me Gabby– oh, I need to hurry, see ya later!”

And she was off, dashing along the boards in a grey blur.

Watching her go, as it now occurred to Galatea, the grey griffon couldn’t be that old. Fifteen at the most, a year below the age of accountability.

Serving at her age was nothing unusual. Galatea had witnessed youths of many years less working aboard ship, on the fields and in the factories, around the world. But Galatea was, at heart, a denizen of Equestria, and there were places where it always felt wrong to see children work so young…

“Such is the way of the world,” Galatea muttered, unwillingly slipping out of her accent.

She checked herself. In this form, the old worker dialect, native to the Griffish Isles, was second nature to her. Slipping up like this was unusual. Meeting her sisters for the first time must have influenced her mindset past expectations. Then again, change was always the world’s lot as well. And unwavering as she was, she too was part of it.

A snippet of conversation reached her ears. The griffon girl’s voice and another, male but young, barely even broken yet.

“I can't believe it,” whined the teenage male. “I'm being made to work on a Sunday.

“Oh?” said the griffon girl, in a tone clear of guile. “That's rough, dude. I didn't know dragons had work days."

What else they said was lost to her. Galatea waited a moment, then moved on. Still, she decided, it seemed the griffon girl had perseverance. She’d do fine.

Her walk resumed, and it did not end, not until she’d reached her lodgings for the time being. There were a few others here, but Galatea paid them no heed for now.

A hammock was a far cry from the soft, sinking feeling of a mattress, the fabric thin to her touch. A little part of her did enjoy the suspended feeling, aboveground with its gentle sway, following the waves. A sky-turtle was no luxury yacht, rougher in sustained flight, and not at all designed for comfort.

Most of all it reminded her that, often, this came at the end of a hard day’s work. And there would be many days like that in the future. Although plenty welcomed the relief it gave them from their harsh, driven lives, Galatea welcomed her rest as a sign at least one more brick had been laid down that day. Or mortar poured.

She took off her goggles, placing them over her chest, along with Celestia’s resealed letter. She’d have time to read it again, discretely, when the Sun rose. With a flick of her braid to her side, she permitted herself to recline, staring up at the ceiling, accompanied by evening’s wind and the creaking of the sky-turtle. Then, she stretched out one rear-hoof, and pushed the hammock, letting it swing gently from side to side, and only then did Galatea truly feel content.

~ All Along The Plane of Images ~

In the realm just before the beyond, all is silent. All is well. It has been ever since she arrived here. She is free from that which bound her in the remainder of her life. No longer duty-bound in service or by oath. Her mind and soul, unshackled.

In life, her name was Redheart. And since her life’s end, she rests in peace.

Without regret, or conscripted to act.

All is–

“I see you there,”

Redheart’s eyes opened, or rather, figuratively became aware that she wasn’t alone. There was someone here. Someone else who could see her.

‘Who is there?’ Her question came, simple to ask when facing an unknown.

“Just someone who needs your help for a moment, Nurse. A bit of unfinished business, that had been left behind before your untimely passing.”

‘What business could that be?’ Redheart found herself asking in turn, ‘I was resting soundly before your intrusion.’

“You were, and for that I apologise. The silent ones were never something I was allowed to grow accustomed to. It’s the restless that tend to associate with me.”

‘You have my sympathies, but you haven’t answered my question.’

“It concerns something missing, something deceptively simple. Apparently, in life, you gained possession of a locket. There are those who would very much like it back.”

‘I see. Are they associated with the human?’

“They are; no lies offered, no lies spoken. By equivalent exchange, provide me the truth I require.”

Redheart’s non-existent mouth twitched in response. This request was a bit demanding to force an honest answer.

‘The last keeper of the locket I saw in life was Icewind.’ Redheart answered and yet felt something. A twinge of regret, perhaps?

“Native to this Equestria, no doubt. If he had the blasted thing, then it would have been felt.”

Redheart couldn’t help but notice the frigidness of the figure’s voice. Whomever this “he” was, those two had bad blood.

‘Who are you?’ Redheart found herself asking again, ‘and why do you care?’

Somehow, despite the nature of this realm and the boundaries between, Redheart could see the figure’s tight and worn fake smile and feel the coldness surrounding him.

“As I said, I’m just someone who required your help, Nurse,” the figure said, a coldness in his words hardly concealed. A coldness harsher than any Winter that Redheart could recall in life. “And I care in service to the dream. A dream that shall become truth in time. So, resume your rest. You have fulfilled your service.”

And like that, the other presence was gone. All that remained in this realm beyond was the everlasting trace of Redheart and her lingering regrets, over the goodbyes she never had with her family, nor the date that never came to be with the stallion named Icewind.

~ The Hall of Unity ~

Before Redheart’s tomb at the Hall of Unity’s pagoda gardens, an equine figure sat still on the ground as his horn dimmed. His eyes were glassy yet focused on the tomb. The only tell that he belonged to the living was the blood running down his snout. This stillness did not last forever – the quiet was broken by the figure exhaling. This act was followed by focus returning to his eyes.

“Easier, but not by much,” he muttered, before a nearby rag, suspended in his magic, attended to his bleeding snout. The throbbing in his head wasn’t that bad, which gave him some time. Some time to think and reflect on what he’d gained.

His eyes closed for a moment, allowing him to embrace a wonderful sensation.

A scent of lavender, oh Moon Princess?’ the figure thought, with a sad smile as the rag continued its work. ‘If only it were true for us.

Prematurely aged and so tired, his eyes opened wearily to see reality as it was.

A name. He had a new name now. Icewind. But in a world where information still had yet to experience digitalisation, going on a name alone could still lead to a prolonged, faltering search.

A dream like this shouldn’t be sullied,’ he thought, lavender’s scent still in his mind. The rag removed itself, its job done, but was now rather filthy with his blood. ‘A beautiful, most wonderful dream of Harmony.

While this Equestria had flaws of its own, this was still an amazing place to him. It was almost exactly like the dream, but moreso. Three alicorns, rather than the two sisters. Well, three publicly-known alicorns… No extermination, no wars that scarred the lands, or perversion of what he knew. Of what he remembered. His heart didn’t feel like it was going to be marred any further than it already had.

“Trixie…” He sighed, lowering his head. “You just had to be a troublemaker, didn’t you? Who’ll be her friend now?”

Pained, he tugged at his Amulet. The ultimate tool of the Architect’s. Elusive as ever nowadays, but only the Watchmare had mattered to him, and she was dead in his world.

Of all things, Miss Lulamoon had managed to get sent a whole year earlier to Erebus here than in the world he knew. For different reasons, to boot. She was but one name, though, amongst those who at different points had studied under him at Princess Celestia’s School.

Lyra and Twilight, each victims, one way or the other, of the Solar Tyrant. Or the fiery-headed girl whom the once-Princess Celestia had for a student, who’d disappeared through the Mirror. That last girl, once they’d met, who reminded him so much of another little girl, the most precious one of all, yet who’d never been a student…

Or, and this made him shudder, the pale creature who’d once been his own student. No doubt his path would cross again with the Weaver’s. He didn’t know what he’d do then. Yet he would find the Watchmare, and he would act. The chorus demanded such after everything.

“If by shadow, or by light, there must be action done,” the Headmaster said, as if reciting a nursery rhyme. He stood, his spell fading away, as he began to leave the pagoda gardens.

This he’d do for Equestria. For his students and the dead. For Sire’s Hollow, and his goddaughter.

Till the dream comes true for all.

~ In Night’s Garden ~

The Princess of the Night drifted in her sleep.

Though she had her duty to vanquish nightmares, there was always time to unwind. Time was irrelevant in her realm, for it was as she willed it. She rarely truly dreamt, though. Her memories were enough – there were plenty to relive, lament and celebrate. Then she heard her sister’s voice, the first memory of Princess Celestia in a thousand years, flow past her, and embrace her as she had on the dawn she returned as Princess Luna.

“I saw the signs of Nightmare Moon’s return, and I knew it was you who had the magic inside to defeat her. But you could not unleash it until you let true friendship into your heart…”

Memories of days long since passed. Memories she’d treasured. She was not like Twilight, as she let them roam free in the stars. Here she sat in the open moonlit field, amidst tall grass, sunflower and lavender drifting lazily in the wind, watching windows open and close, the stars greeting her with tales of old. They descended, they mingled, flowing around her in a cloud of stardust. Many drifted in and out. More than a thousand years of life to cherish.

Her oldest and newest memories were those she treasured most. Her first time raising the Moon, her first planted flower, her first telescope...

She saw the first snowball fight she had with her sister, a glorious battle for the ages. She smiled upon seeing their nanny Ilsa, stuck upside-down on the ceiling, thanks to her, her sister, and Anna. She saw Celestia and herself atop a mountain, wishing upon the first lucky star she ever saw, and she wanted to be with her sister forever.

Her first garden, planted and nurtured by her under Mistmane’s tender guidance, in one secluded corner in their home at Canterlot. She saw herself chant and dance and laugh, to Starswirl’s ire, one starry night. Strict as Starswirl could be, she missed him, as she did Mistmane, and so many. None ever knew where the old Pillars of Equestria went to.

“Loosen up, forget your worries,” Luna sung softly. “Dance with me, the night is young...”

Luna laughed. She saw herself at the Crystal Realm, many years before Sombra’s time, singing that very song to Orion, her beloved, as they taught and danced and bestrode mountains, beneath the constellation that would one day bear his name. She saw her family flourish, her daughters, the warrior Tranquility and healer Equinox coming into their own, defending the land, curing the sick. Sacrifices made in blood. Sacrifices for a peace they never lived to see, for the good of Equestria, even as their mother started to turn, little by little.

Then Amore, the Realm’s greatest leader, one borne of Equinox’s line, stood before her and Celestia, beaming happily, with her daughter Radiant by her side. She presented them both with her creation, a Heart of Crystal, to shine as a beacon against the forces of darkness encroaching from the Frozen North, and to cleanse the Crystal Realm, this garden she called home. Little Radiant Hope, so gentle, loving and kind, sung a lullaby to let the Crystal Heart shine bright, even as her friend grew twisted into the Dark King.

All of them, gone too soon. Only Cadance, sweet Cadance, remained. But she too would flourish and blossom as they all did.

A window opened, and there Luna saw a young saffron pegasus, untouched by war. As she should have been. Luna wondered what became of her little friend, in the battle that had raged.

“I’m afraid Rainbow Dash will find out I’m not as tough as she thinks I am...”

“Everyone has fears. Everyone must face them in their own way. But they must be faced, or the nightmares will continue…”

Nightmares. She had to face her own, puppets without strings, crawling at her from all sides, reaching onto her– She blasted the Newfoals apart, as they crawled out of one of the windows. Here, she reigned. Here, she was untouched. And yet, here, she was alone.

Alone after a fashion. Cadance was busy around this time, and they hadn’t yet arranged another walk through dreams together. Her descendant had such potential. It had been a welcome surprise for Luna when Cadance had unexpectedly marched into this realm of hers. Figuring out where Cadance belonged in the convoluted family tree was another matter entirely, and they had settled on calling themselves aunt and niece.

Cadance was family, through and through. That was all that mattered to Luna. But, perhaps Luna never was alone. Especially whenever she gazed into one of her favourite memories of recent times.

”See? They really do like you, Princess!”

“Can it be true? Oh, most wonderful– I mean, oh, most wonderful of nights.”

Now, Twilight was a curious mare. Literally and figuratively.

Luna giggled to herself, letting the memory dissipate and embrace her. Twilight was not her first nor her oldest friend, but she was one she cherished the most in the time since her return. And… perhaps, something more.

She sighed. There were other priorities to handle.

Equestria, Earth… The war.

Celestia’s plan, now that too felt like a distant memory, with the changing times. She looked up at the orb that held it. It had not yet faded into the starry fields. She stood there with her sister, with news of Sombra’s return fresh in their minds.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to go as well?”

“Yes. Princess Cadance and Shining Armor are already there. The others will be joining them soon.”

“The Realm's magic is powerful. It cannot fall again, my sister.”

“She will succeed at her task. And when she does, we’ll know that she is that much closer to being ready.”

‘Ready…’ Luna echoed.

She remembered how at first, she’d scoffed at Celestia when she spoke of her plan for Twilight, and then had gone back to tinkering with her telescope. But Celestia kept bringing it up time and again, with little prompt, until Luna had settled on it being very important to her sister.

Perhaps she ought to ask her about it again. Perhaps it should be important for her, too. But then, with everything coming together so hastily… Twilight need not another burden upon her mind. And, after her talk with Cadenza, perhaps she ought to put more faith in her descendant, too...

A defiant voice passed her.

“I’ll tell you what we’ve learned, Discord. We’ve learned that friendship isn’t always easy, but there’s no doubt it’s worth fighting for!”

‘Wait.’

This was no memory of hers. For it was none other than Twilight Sparkle’s voice that she heard. She glanced around. In the starry skies, not a light shone above the others… Save for one.

Dreams could so often drift past so quickly, she’d fail to latch onto them. But this was her realm and it belonged to her. She stood up, and spread her wings. The voice had come from a lonely star – there, up amidst its brethren.

It echoed on, and on, and Luna knew what to do.

She soared, high up in the air. Her dream was hers to control, but to pursue a lost memory, her thrill-seeking side yearned for the chase. The star remained where it was, lavender light twinkling. It wasn’t in Twilight’s nature to let the library within be so lost, this far and wide. Maybe this was her own memory, a passing thought turned reality.

But Luna knew better. She pursued her flight, her wings leaving traces in the starry night. She flew, to where the star resided. Only, it wasn’t a star at all. It was an open window.

Luna did not hesitate for one moment. She stepped through. The light grew more distant, for she now stood in a void. Before her, the light shone, a starry path forming in its wake. Guiding her. And it wasn’t the only light, though she knew what to seek. All around her, spread in the void, stardust, in every colour. It coalesced, danced, and flowed to an unheard melody, painting the void so vividly with luminescent glow.

She heard Twilight’s voice again. The stardust whispered to her, its voice familiar and welcoming.

‘No, Luna,’ she said to herself, shutting her eyes. ‘Don’t let your path be cast astray…’

The voice that guided her here faded, but the first light remained. Even as she pressed on, the allure was great, and her eyes drifted to the stardust. It showed memories and dreams that weren’t hers to own or to create.

A lonely childhood, a faithful student...

Luna trode on. She saw her sister and Twilight stand before the stained glass windows of Canterlot Castle... It must have been after the Crystal Realm had been saved–

“You weren't willing to risk the future of the citizens of the Crystal Realm in an effort to guarantee your own. Far better that I have a student who understands the meaning of self-sacrifice than one who only looks out for her own best interests.”

“Does this mean...?”

It passed in a flash, and soon more followed.

Six Elements. A Gala. A Nightmare Night. The Canterlot Wedding.

Then, she saw the stardust coalesce into a battle. A titanic figure of red and black, clashing against someone that flew past with a speed that would have done Rainbow Dash proud. But it wasn’t a memory she knew of. For Twilight Sparkle had never stood as tall as she did in this one.

Nor did she have such a crown and–

“You’ve been wondering what you are meant to do as a princess. Do you know now?”

“As Princess, I believe I have the power to spread the magic of friendship across Equestria. That is the role I am meant to have in our world. The role I choose to have…”

The vision disintegrated into stardust, joining the eternal dance surrounding her. But what she heard and saw lingered. A Princess. A future yet to come. Truly, how absurd to see Twilight dash across the battlefield, meeting a great foe in a clash of magical prowess that eclipsed even Tia’s…

Focus, Luna, focus, this is not your path to tread…’

The light was there, at the end of the tunnel. Something pulled at her once again. The light grew brighter, brighter still, the tug was such that Luna felt compelled to take a look. So she did, turning to her side, breaking into a run.

Before her lay a vast field, under cover in starlight. Shadows stirred, and she saw the forms of the three tribes of ponykind, hippogriffs, griffons, even yaks, dragons and Kirin and Changelings of many colours. And Luna witnessed Twilight soar up high above them all, surrounded by faces old and new, before three shadowy figures that could only be her foes.

Luna flared her wings, taking flight. All those around her flickered, faded in and out, but Twilight, only Twilight remained, speaking so triumphantly, her voice a melody to her ears...

“The Elements showed me and my friends how strong our friendship could be. Together we work to bring harmony to Equestria! But there will always be more to do, which is why we teach others about the magic of friendship…”

Stardust flowed through Luna, pulling her to all sides. But she felt neither pain nor despair, for she flowed with them and embraced them. She was torn away from the memory, overwhelmed by the images that passed.

All the races, together in harmony, taught and guided by those who came before. And at last, Luna beheld her in full. A lavender alicorn, as tall as Celestia was, standing on a hill at sunset, together with her closest friends…

Then all was quiet within the void. The voices that had followed her, the memories that belonged to neither her nor Twilight vanished into stardust, with the first steps of her hooves past the open gate, welcomed by the light, into the library she had visited not so long ago.

Right there in the rotunda, Twilight Sparkle stood before a bathroom mirror.

~ Canterlot, Equestrian Solar Empire ~ Twenty-First Day of the Month of Ocyrhoe, Year 19 of the Era Imperator ~

As the night of the Grand Galloping Gala went on, Archmage Twilight grew restless, for the pain in her head bit into her. It had begun a mere headache, as these things usually did. The doctors had warned her of recurring pains, both from her lingering injury, and the depletion of her magical reserves in battle. She’d replied it was a calculated risk.

... Me and my big mouth,’ Twilight thought, resignedly. ‘I need… a shower. Yeah, that’s what I need…

So she excused herself early on, distracting Captain Gallus by calling Lady Silverstream over to their table. Few would question it, she mused. Even with her organisatorial skills, the Gala still remained a dull affair. Luna’s presence had alleviated it, Twilight reflected. The two of them had found better things to discuss and to do in the late night hours.

A stroll in the gardens, which bloomed once a year and on this night alone, the Autumn Blossoming as it was known, did little for her on this trip down memory lane.

Still aching in every joint and her mind still scattered, she turned her back on the lingering scent of lavender in the gardens and returned inside, making her way to up the stairs carefully, holding onto the railing, grimacing at the dull throb of her head.

She needed to ease the pain, and this was why, reaching upstairs with effort, she headed for the bathroom adjoining her bedroom.

But it was there, near the sink, that she stumbled. She reached for the sink’s edge in time, fighting the urge to slump. The stinging pain grew and grew, until she could no longer hold it back, when her eyes fell upon her reflection.

She was looking haggard, with dark circles beneath her eyes. The hole where her ear used to be had healed, they had told her. That the numb, stinging feeling in it would dissipate with the healing process.

Yet even Philomena’s tears could only do so much now.

So much for that,’ Twilight thought angrily.

Stomping upon the bathroom tiles, she yelled at her own reflection. “I can’t take it, okay! Okay. Twilight, focus, get some… painkillers…”

But as she reached for the bottle next to the sink, something caught her eye in the mirror, as the scent of lavender became so strong as to be overwhelming.

Right behind her, stood the Princess of the Night, faded yet present, unchanged save for her light blue bangs upon her forehead, and her brilliant, glowing eyes…

Twilight shrieked in fright, falling onto her back. Dazed, she scrambled back to her hooves and looked where the alicorn had stood.

There was no-one there.

Luna's eyes fluttered open.

With bated breath, her eyes darted around her room. Empty, save for her belongings as usual. Nothing was out of place, as it should be. Nothing lurked in the dark corners of her room.

Only the cold chill of the wind blowing from the open window interrupted the stillness.

Whatever it was that she had seen, nonetheless, made her chest feel tight, naked and vulnerable as she was without her armour.

She released her held breath, her voice gentle and soft as she whispered into the night.

“Twilight?”

Author's Note:

Spectrum 2.1 - Autumn 2021

VoxAdam:

  • A chapter that was created from splitting the prior Chapter Twenty-Two (‘Unveiled’) into two chapters.
  • This chapter features no noteworthy modifications, other than the split.

Spectrum 2.0 - September 24th 2020

Sledge115:

(Credit to Amarynceus’ artwork for the freckles inspiration. And the folks in the Fimfiction Discord, SockPuppet and Raleigh especially, for convincing me (directly and indirectly) to go through with it. Yeah. She has freckles now. And dapples. I just felt like it, honestly :twilightsheepish:)

Hello there! This chapter was truly a delight to write, from Luna’s time with Twilight, Ana and Blueblood’s hijinks, and, of course, the dreamwalk. A rather quiet chapter, for the most part, but that’s why it was such an enjoyable one to write :twilightsmile:

Apart from Luna and Twilight’s scenes, I’ve found Galatea and Thorax’s scenes to be quite the standouts to write, too, with their introspective outlooks. Poor, poor Thorax…

The scene in Luna’s dreams is perhaps the most complete summary of Spectrum!Luna thus far, who I’ve come to define throughout Moonrise and stories outside of Spectrum, such as Moonbug and The Dreamwalker’s Lament, though this scene’s initial draft precedes both of them.

The characters of Equinox and Tranquility are based on SockPuppet’s Luna’s Daughters– with some adjustments, of course, given the considerably different time scale. It’s an excellent story, and I thought it fitting to give it a seamless tribute here :twilightsmile:

Speaking of Luna’s descent - yes, you read that right up there. Radiant Hope, in the Spectrum continuity, is Amore’s daughter. We do like to streamline things.

The scene between Ana and Blueblood was the first one completed, and remains mostly the same - an exploration of two rather quirky characters, and some old fashioned poking at social norms. Also, no, I have no idea what the hell we were thinking but I do hope it reads about as much fun as we had in writing it :twilightsheepish:

Now, the final scene… well, what more can I say? It came to be soon after the series finale, and now coincidentally, the chapter’s published almost a year to the day the show concluded. I thought it fitting to give a love letter of a scene to the wonderful show that brought us all here, as it deserves. No matter how long it’s been since it’s started, never shall we forget it.

Oh, and one last thing; The First Second of Eternity has updated at last, and Galatea’s story thickens, ever so slightly. Have a look :twilightsmile:

Cheers, and stay tuned!
~Sledge

P.S.
How the Magic of Friendship grows…

RoyalPsycho: Hello everyone. I’ve never been a major member of this group but several scenes have been included introducing my contributions to the story – the scenes involving the Saddle (M)Arabians and Kirin: brilliantly co-authored with regular Spectrum writer VoxAdam (thank you for all the help Vox) – and so it seems like you’re going to see a lot more of my work in this story.

I hope you all like it and have a great time.

VoxAdam: Well. Where do I begin with this chapter?

I’ve written longer author’s notes for previous chapters, yet this is one of the chapters in all of Spectrum which feels the most personal to me, following Chapter Twelve (‘To Seize The Day’) and the ‘Child of Crystal’ Interlude. And now I’m here, not knowing what to say. I guess that much of it was already said my fellow writers in the notes preceding mine, though.

This chapter was always intended as a more slice-of-lifey chapter, the middle part in a three-parter, bridging the gap between Chapter Twenty-One (‘So Say We All’) and Chapter Twenty-Three (‘Here’s To You’) as the PHL establish contact with Earth and Lyra prepares to leave on her Expedition Into The Unknown, to the Sunken Dream Valley. Perhaps most interesting to note is that there’s a lot of material in this chapter which was months in the making, even a couple years in some cases, going so far as be written way before Act Two started publishing, let alone was fully planned.

As Sledge has stated, well, we could begin by talking about Ana Bjorgman’s comic-relief scene with Prince Blueblood… But, let’s say the scene speaks for itself and call it a day, right? For the ever-required purposes of posterity, I’ll only state that I recall us co-write that scene back in April and May 2019. So, you can see how long we’ve been sitting on that one, heh-heh…

While Royal is not one to write lengthy author’s notes, there is so much I could tell about the background to the three scenes co-written with him which appear in this chapter, if I had the time or the space.

It’s possible the most attentive readers might recall they’ve met the al-Husan family before, in the opening scene of Chapter Eleven (‘Those On Pilgrimage’), in an extended Early-Bird Cameo to continue showcasing who was coming to attend the Concordia. Qabil actually made his original appearance in a collaboration of mine with Royal, Inmates of Erebus, retroactively combined with the Spectrumverse. About half the exchanges I’ve had with Royal have involved building upon our imaginings for Saddle Mareabia, and though you may only see so much of it in the finished Spectrumverse, the worldbuilding is there.

As a final note, I may have mentioned this before, but Garble’s secret hobby of beat poetry only became canon in early 2019, ergo when TheIdiot and I had already written a couple scenes for the character accompanying Ember to the Concordia and had our own characterisation in mind. However, I’ve found it not that hard to integrate this surprisingly appealing canon addition to the Spectrumverse. And I hope this chapter earned a few chuckles with it.

Cheers,
~Vox

TheIdiot: I won’t lie in saying that doing this chapter was not easy. There were things that needed to be paced, scenes considered, ideas determined, and all manner of prospects to look at. While the real world has been getting quite scary (even though we’re a week or so from October), we hope you all continue to enjoy our bizarre Fimfiction story. And hey, we managed to update monthly (kinda) this time around. So, that’s a step forward, don’t you think?

As per usual, my thanks to you, our loyal readers, for sticking with us in the meantime. We here on SPECTRUM are grateful for your continued support.

Also, my thanks to VoxAdam and Sledge115 for their continued efforts. Especially since the latter has a sidestory or two you should give a read if you haven’t given it a chance.

And lastly, my thanks to RoyalPsycho and Doctor Fluffy for pitching in here and there during production.

With nothing else said, try and remain fortitude until November. Because if we’ve survived this year this far, then we can make it to November and then December. Just one foot infront of the other, one step at a time. As we all continue our journey into the unknown in this fimfic and in real life.

Without else to say,

Carpe diem, everyone.
(P.S. Yes, I’ve updated my icon. It’s always been an eye.)

PreviousChapters Next