• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 5,054 Views, 44 Comments

Sleepless Nights - Goatmeal



Twilight Sparkle struggles to understand and deal with her feelings. (Ugh, feelings again? I know right.)

  • ...
8
 44
 5,054

Revelations

Chapter 2: Revelations

Twilight left the library, walking into town, a slight frown on her face. She felt she could use some fresh air, and not to mention buy some more milk.

She entered the marketplace, looking around. After a minute or so, she spotted the milk stand. She began to walk over to it.

“Oh, hello Twilight,” Fluttershy greeted, having just spotted the unicorn.

“Hi, Fluttershy,” Twilight said slightly glumly.

Fluttershy caught on. “Is something wrong?” she asked gently. “I mean, only if you want to tell me, that is.”

“Oh, it’s nothing bad. I’m just a little lonely with Spike in Canterlot.”

“I’m sorry,” she said truthfully. “You can always stay at my place if you like.”

“No, that’s alright,” Twilight said, “but thanks for the offer.” Fluttershy left to finish her shopping, looking sorry for her friend. Twilight approached the salespony.

“How may I help you, ma’am?” the colt asked. He was tall, had a brown coat, and had a bottle of milk for a cutie mark.

“I’d like two bottles, please,” Twilight said, depositing six bits on the counter.

“Um, that’ll be eight bits, actually.”

Twilight frowned. She only brought six. “Isn’t that a little much?”

“Sorry, but we’re low on milk lately. I can’t offer any less.”

“Sorry,” Twilight said, turning around, disappointed.

“Hey, Twi. Is something wrong?” Rainbow’s voice came from her left.

She looked at Rainbow quickly, a light blush on her cheeks. “Oh, it’s nothing, Rainbow. I just didn’t bring enough bits for milk.”

Rainbow smiled. “How short?”

“Two.”

The pegasus tossed two bits on the counter, smirking. “I gotcha covered.”

Twilight’s blush deepened.

- - -

Rainbow Dash cut through the skies at breakneck speeds. Well, to a normal pony, at least. To the speedy pegasus, she was only drifting. Turning to the left, she began spiraling toward the ground. Pulling herself back up, she rose skyward. She continued pulling until she did a flip. Using the boost of gravity, she went even faster.

Ten minutes later, Rainbow idly sat on a cloud, pondering things. She really did love the skies. So open, so free. She loved the feel of wind blowing through her mane, air rushing under her wings, even the thrill of almost impacting the ground before pulling out of the dive. Other ponies might have been fearful, but other ponies weren’t Rainbow Dash. Given some time, she’d be into the Wonderbolts for sure.

She looked down upon the town. She felt connected to it, even having been raised in Cloudsdale. She remembered what she said to Twilight that one day. I’d never leave Ponyville hangin’.

Her thoughts moved to Twilight. She wondered how the unicorn was enjoying her new home. Duh, she said to herself. She lives in a library. She’s probably having the time of her life. She remembered seeing Twilight in the market. She doesn’t look like it, though. She’s been acting weird lately. Next time I see her, I’ll ask her what’s wrong. She paused. I’d never leave Twilight hangin’ either. She stood up, stretched her wings, and took off into the sky once more, a rainbow trail in her wake.

- - -

Something was troubling Twilight Sparkle. Anypony who looked could tell that. Fashion designers included. Rarity noticed her lavender friend sitting upon a park bench, frowning.

Rainbow Dash, Twilight thought to herself. Egotistic, brash, and a bit of a show off. Naps all day, whenever she’s not practicing some crazy new stunt. Clears clouds faster than anypony I’ve ever seen. Element of Loyalty. She remembered that faithful moment when Rainbow came out of the mist, having turned down her dreams for her friends. Then there was the milk. She chuckled. It seemed like nothing next to the bridge, but she appreciated it almost as much. She’s also brave, fast, and… charming. Why had she thought that? Why did she feel so glum? Why did she always blush in her presence? Twilight’s eyes opened wide. Do I like Rainbow Dash?

“Is something wrong, Twilight dear?” Rarity asked loudly.

Twilight snapped out it. “What?”

“Is everything okay?” She looked concerned.

Twilight realized that it was the third time she was asked that. “Yeah, everything’s fine.” She tried to change the subject. “I was just wondering how I would- um, organize the library magazines. They really are a mess,” she lied.

Rarity’s eyes lit up, any trace of concern gone. “Oh, dear you must tell me. Do you have the new Hoity Toity Weekly yet? It’s far overdue, as a matter of fact…” The unicorn continued talking about the latest fashion trends, but Twilight stopped listening. Looking past her friend, she saw a shape high above the town, a multicolored trail traced behind it. She sighed. There was no denying it.

Rarity stopped. She saw Twilight gazing off into the distance. She turned her head and saw the object of Twilight’s attention, then looked back at the mare. “Well, I must be off,” she said, pretending she hadn’t noticed. Twilight’s attention snapped back to the fashion designer.

“Oh- um, see you later,” she said with a blush. With a smile far too understanding for Twilight’s comfort, Rarity departed.

The sun was low on the horizon. She had been at the park a long time. With a sigh, she began the slow walk home, to an empty library, and another sleepless night.