• Published 22nd May 2017
  • 3,595 Views, 58 Comments

Blood Moon - The Chronicler



Fluttershy meets a strange creature while running an errand in the Everfree Forest. It is nothing like she has ever seen, and it may be more than it seems.

  • ...
5
 58
 3,595

Chapter Four

Fluttershy waved as Rainbow Dash flew back to town. She didn’t need Dash’s comforting presence now that she was sure that the creature - Lyall - didn't mean any harm. Hopefully, Dash would remember to tell the rest of the girls to postpone their picnic.

She turned to face Lyall, who leaned against the counter with his arms folded over his chest, and craned her head to look him in the eyes. He responded with a cocked eyebrow.

“I’m s-s-sorry I don’t have any… umm… pants for you to wear.” she mumbled, “I can see if my friend Rarity can make you some. I’m sure she would love the challenge. You can k-keep the quilt until then, i-if you want, that is. I don’t mind if you don’t.”

“Thank ya, lass.” Lyall nodded. “I’ll make good use of it. Won’t your seamstress friend need my measurements, though? From what ya and Miss Dash told me, walkin’ on two legs seems to be a tad of an oddity ‘round these parts.”

Fluttershy frowned. She hadn’t thought of that, and she doubted she could take Lyall on a casual walk through town. There was no telling how the crowds would react to him.

"Hmm…" She bit her lip and thought. "Oh, I know! I could take your measurements, if that's alright. I do a lot of knitting in my spare time, so while I might not be as good as Rarity with a needle, I could at least take your measurements."

Lyall stared at her for a moment and nodded hesitantly. “Alright… Sounds fair enough…”

Fluttershy darted to her knitting cabinet and fished through her needles and spools of yarn. She pulled out a long strip of measuring tape. Then, with the tape wrapped loosely around her neck, she trotted back to Lyall.

It had been awhile since Fluttershy took measurements for clothing, and she had never done it for a bipedal creature before, so the process took several minutes. Lyall, thankfully, had tailoring done before and was able to guide her. She pinned the tape between her primaries and jotted down the numbers with a pencil gripped in her teeth.

"I'll bring this to Rarity later," she said as she stowed the tape. "Until then… Umm… I guess just make yourself at home…"

“Your hospitality has been laudful, Fluttershy, but I would rather not impose.”

“Oh, it wouldn’t be a bo--”

“I insist,” Lyall cut her off. “Now, I believe you and Miss Dash mentioned a much tamer greenwood than the one you found me in. You called it Whitetail, aye? Come hence, lass. Let’s see what we can find…”

Fluttershy stared in bewilderment as Lyall marched out the front door.

“O-oh…” She slumped her shoulders. “O-okay… Oh dear…”

She trotted out the door and found Lyall standing on the path leading away from her cottage. He faced away from her with his hands braced on his hips. Lyall craned his head slowly in every direction, took in the sights of the meadow, and ended his survey with a pointed stare into the dark depths of the Everfree.

Fluttershy paid careful attention to the animals that scurried in her garden. Wherever Lyall tread, the critters fled and hushed. They cowered in their burrows and the shadows of the foliage. The more aggressive animals - the badgers, bobcats, and even Harry - growled menacingly at Fluttershy’s guest. Their raised hackles, the sharp glint in their eyes, and the bristling of their fur spoke a single thing to Fluttershy:

You do not belong here.

She bit her lip and decided she would give them an extra treat before bed.

Lyall turned to Fluttershy, oblivious or indifferent to the animals’ behaviors, with a confident grin and an adventurous spark in his eye.

“Oh, how I’ve missed this…” he said and gestured to the landscape.

“M-m-missed what?” she replied, following his hand.

“The clean air. Can’t ya tell? This place has hardly been touched by the grubby hands of industrialization. Cherish it while it’s here, lass. This will all be an urban sprawl before ya know it… Where did ya say that forest was, again?”

“It’s, umm, on the other side of Ponyville. We’ll have to walk a ways. It might be better to go around town.”

“Oh?” Lyall said as he walked beside Fluttershy. “Why is that?”

"Well, I'm a teensy bit afraid of how the townsponies would react to you. They might be a little frightened. Not that they should be frightened, that is. You’re not that scary. I mean… What I meant to say is… Ohh…”

“Ahh…” Lyall nodded understandingly. His smile had grown… weary. “I suppose that would be the case. People will always be afraid of new and different things - things they don’t understand.”

“I’m sorry…” Fluttershy mumbled. “It’s not your fault… Ponies can be skittish sometimes. I know I can. We just need a chance to warm up to new things. I’m sure if you give it a chance, you’ll make all sorts of friends in Ponyville!”

"Eh," he grunted noncommittally.

“... I understand.” Fluttershy’s wings drooped.

“Hmm?” he quirked an eyebrow.

“I know how hard it can be to make friends. Pretty much the only friend I had was Rainbow Dash before Twilight came along. I knew Rarity a little, but we weren’t very close. I’ve never been very good at… talking to ponies. It’s hard knowing what to say and when to say it. Nopony ever really teaches it to you, and foals aren’t very forgiving when you mess up…”

"Aye… Y'know, I once heard it said that the entire world is a stage. Everyone in it is merely actors playing their parts. So everything we say and do is part of a grand script. Sometimes, though, you might lose your script or never get one in the first place. What do ya do then? Ya jus’ have to pull up your britches and make your own. It might take a few tries to find the right lines to go with everyone else’s, but the beauty of it? Your part in the great play is your own. Not a damn soul can tell ya what to say, how to say it, or what to do with your time. It’s your life. Live it as ya please.”

“That is… an interesting way of looking at it. I’ve never thought about it that way before.”

“Hah. I’ve got me moments.”

Fluttershy and Lyall passed the walk in idle conversation. He told her stories about the interesting animals he had seen in his travels. Lyall had scaled cliff faces where goats walked beside him almost as if by magic, and he sat underneath bronze sunsets as herds of buffalo - in the thousands - rolled across the desolate plains like rivers. There were jungles teeming with far more life than could be counted, and oceans filled with unfathomable depths. She interjected occasionally, comparing some things with their own sights in Equestria, but she kept returning to his previous comment.

“Cherish it while it’s here, lass… This will be an urban sprawl before ya know it…”

She looked at the plains, the trees, the rivers, the lake, and the distant mountain where Canterlot shone like a landlocked lighthouse of splendor and nobility. Fluttershy tried to imagine all of it replaced by filthy streets, dingy brick buildings, and the clamoring of industrial work. Her wings sagged as she looked at the sky, clear and blue and beautiful, and imagined it choked by black smog. It was a terrible thought that sent a chill down her back.

It was not something she wished to think about.

An hour later and they stood at the edge of Whitetail Woods. Birds chirped and the sweet scent of wildflowers filled the air. A brook murmured somewhere in the distance. Fluttershy looked at Lyall and smiled.

“Well… Here we are!” she beamed. “Whitetail Woods, the safest forest near Ponyville!”

“It’s beautiful, and it’ll be perfect. Methinks I can hear a stream over yonder, so that will be a good spot for me to set up camp.”

“Do you… Need any help?” Fluttershy rubbed her leg with a hoof.

“Nay. I can build a basic lean-to in my sleep, and I know how to forage. I’ll be fine. I’m grateful for yer kindness, though.”

"Oh, okay… I'll make sure to bring you some extra food just in case, though. Which, reminds me - I think I'll head back to town now if that's alright with you I mean."

“Ya get along now, Miss Fluttershy.” Lyall dismissed her with a wave of his hand. “I’ll mayhaps see ya on the morrow.”

Fluttershy frowned as Lyall jogged into the trees, and it wasn't long until he disappeared from her sight entirely. She sighed mournfully and walked back to town. Tomorrow she would stop by with a gift basket with food and supplies, but for now, she needed to speak with a certain white unicorn.


“My Lady. We’re about to make our descent toward the city.”

The wind swept Luna’s face as the chariot soared beneath the clouds. It purred in her ears like a slumbering manticore while the chariot glistened under the moonlight. A skyline of stone, steel, and brilliant light loomed before her.

Two thestral stallions beat their leathery wings relentlessly against the wind and pulled Luna across the sky. Sweat coated their fur and they glowed eerily under the starlight. They wore black, silver, and purple armor that hugged their barrels, neck, and upper legs. A set of bladed gauntlets were strapped to their armor - easily accessible with a flick of a hoof.

“You may take us thither, Corporal!” Luna yelled over the wind. “Bring us to the town square. That will be a good place to address the townsfolk.”

“Aye, My Lady!” they saluted and banked downwards.

The skyscrapers glowered at Luna as they approached. She had seen pictures and was told of their immense size by Celestia, but no words did them justice. Luna swiveled her head in every direction as the chariot was swallowed by the metropolis. Towers of brick and steel looked down upon her like adults eyeing an underhoof foal.

Luna had never seen such marvels of engineering. Even the sturdy towers of Castle Circadia in the Everfree Forest, once wonders of architecture in her own time, were puny in comparison. She was surrounded by titans crafted by the hooves and wings of mortals, and Luna felt very small.

She peered over the railing. Crowds of ponies darted to and fro like ants or water droplets in a massive river. The stream was a trickle near the edge of the city, but it was chaotic as they pierced the center. Pegasi weaved between the buildings like swarms of bees. Rushing. Hurrying. The crowds were manic with urgency - with purpose.

The city was like a great machine, ever moving and producing.

Hopefully, Luna thought, she wouldn’t break the gears.

It was progressively more difficult to navigate the air traffic as they flew. Many recognized the royal seal on Luna’s chariot and wisely pulled aside, but there were far too many air-drawn carriages, civilian chariots, and pegasi that clogged the lanes. Luna snarled as traffic slowed to a crawl.

MAKE WAY!” she thundered.

The city roared back like a defiant animal.

Luna growled and ground her teeth. "Corporal! Is there any way to bypass this mess?!"

“It will be a tight squeeze, My Lady, but we can try.”

“Make it so.”

The chariot dropped like a stone. Luna yelped and wrapped her hooves around the railing as several rows of traffic flew past her. Her teeth rattled as the transport jolted to a stop and surged forward.

Her guards spun and wove through the lanes. Luna blinked and saw the mob of irate commuters as a barrage of flaming pitch thrown by distant catapults. Zipping pegasi were arrows cutting through her path like bolts of lightning. The roar of the crowds thundered like the drums of long-forgotten wars.

A griffin, armed with spear and talon, nearly clipped the edge of the chariot but was pushed aside at the last second by a burst of telekinesis.

Towers and parapets closed in around her. The enemy surrounded them. They glared and snarled from their posts. Steel flashed in Luna’s eyes, and she readied a spell that would turn their fortifications to dust.

Light shined from below. There! The command post! They congregated in the hundreds, like swarming ants, no doubt to stand united against the Sword of Equestria. Luna abandoned her spell and bolted up in the chariot. She unleashed a warcry that thundered across the battlefield. Surely their resolve was broken by her awesome power.

She heard the cheers of the soldiers charging in her wake.

She felt the fire burning in her veins.

She heard her name cried out.

“-rincess Luna! Princess Luna! Are you alright?”

She blinked.

Luna blinked again and looked at her drivers. They stared at her inquisitively - worryingly - with creased brows and curled frowns. She glanced over the side of the chariot and saw a churning mass of ponies shouting and hollering. Some peered at her curiously while others stomped their hooves with exuberant faces.

“Wait…” Luna shook her head violently. Where was she? This was… Manehattan, yes? She was in Manehattan, not the Battle of the Tartarean Gates.

“Princess?”

“... We’re fine.” She straightened herself and eyed the crowds. “Tell us, Corporal, why are they cheering?”

“I would presume that they saw our dramatic entrance. We had to do some first-rate maneuvering in order to navigate that traffic jam. That plus your… mmm… vocalization… probably caused quite a sight.”

The crowds, once halted by Luna’s rippling entrance, returned to their normal flow of traffic. She saw islands of activity in the sea of chaos. Ponies dressed in elaborate costumes posed dramatically on street corners, or played music with a variety of instruments, while onlookers gawked. Luna saw groups of ponies dressed in matching vests or shirts prowling the square like sharks. A pony drifted from the herd, or foolishly made eye-contact, and was swarmed by them with warm smiles that didn’t quite reach their eyes. They bowled them over with rapid barrages of words that left their quarry dazed.

It was a trifling matter to collect voluntary donations in exchange for their free merchandise and samples once they adequately paralyzed.

Her ears pressed against her skull from the cacophony of noise. Lights from magical projections flashed across every building - all screaming for her attention. The heat and musk of hundreds of ponies squeezed together was stifling, and she was glad for her perch on the chariot lest she get whisked away by the herds.

“‘Ey! You in the buggy! Yer blockin’ da hoof-traffic!”

Luna glanced down and saw a middle-aged stallion grumbling as he trotted past. He never glanced up to see who he was addressing and never acknowledged Luna beyond whatever inconvenience she caused him. Her ears drooped and her drivers scowled as he pushed past.

“Mayhaps we should get this over with,” she sighed.

Luna rose to her full height and inhaled.

Citizens of Manehattan!” she boomed across Press Plaza. “Come one and all, for We - Luna, your Princess of the Night - have graced you with Our presence!

The roar of the plaza fell into a dull rumble as many of the ponies stopped and eyed Luna with raised brows. Many spared her only a glance before going on their way.

We have come to con yourselves and your fair city,” her voice thrummed over the crowd. “Come and regale us with tales of thy livelihoods. Showest us thine culture, and bask in the glory of the Night Princess!

Something cold and metallic flicked against her nose. She scrunched, cross-eyed, and looked down at her hooves where a shiny bit sneered up at her. Luna scowled and picked up the offending piece of currency. The Princess scanned the crowd, but only saw the indifferent current of ponies going about their evening with practiced urgency.

Luna peered through the crowd again and squinted at the shifting kaleidoscope. She grinned and flagged down an earth pony stallion in a business suit.
“You!” Luna called out. “Smartly dressed merchant with the bit cutie mark! Verily, you can tell us about this great city!”

Her smile disintegrated as the stallion trotted past, even away from her, without sparing a glance. His discipline reminded her of a royal guard; his gaze never wavered from his path. He was alone in a sea of ponies, like a single jutting rock in the stream.

Luna felt much the same.

She spotted another pony. This one’s gaze wandered around the plaza as she took in the sights. The unicorn mare levitated a black box that hung from her neck and aimed it at the massive hourglass suspended over the plaza. It flashed with a bright light, and the mare dropped it to its resting place.

“You! Mare!” Luna yelled. “What are you doing here? Can you tell us aught about Manehattan?”

Her eyes drifted over to Luna before snapping away. “No, sorry. I don’t want to buy anything. Can’t chat. I need to hurry to the tour stop before they leave!”

“B-but…” Luna deflated. “Oh… Fie!”

"Hey!... You up there on the soapbox!" a scratchy voice called out. "What's all that get-up for?"

Luna squinted and looked around the chariot for the origin of the voice, but its owner was nowhere to be found.

“Down ‘ere.”

Luna looked down at the pavement beside the chariot. A filly, hardly taller than the wheel, looked up at her with a raised eyebrow. She had a burnt orange coat and a short, dirty, and purple mane that covered one eye.

“What do you mean, child?” Luna replied as she leaned closer.

“Are ya supposed to be some sort of new street act or somethin’? That why yer talkin’ and dressin’ funny?”

“Act?” Luna snorted. “Nay! We are not some two-bit actor playing parlor tricks! We are Princess Luna, Diarch of the Night! Prithee, little filly, why dost every mare and stallion scurry about like pismires on some great mission and barely acknowledge the pony beside them?”

The filly eyed Luna and her guards curiously before blowing a lock of mane out of her face. It settled back to its spot. “Most of ‘em gots places to be, see, and anypony who’s local knows not to talk or even look at the blokes prowling around the Plaza like alleycats. The tourists learn pretty darn quick after they walk out the other end forty bits lighter. That’s how they reel ya in, see. As soon you meet them in the eye, they’ve got ya!”

“Art thou telling us that these… these vipers are placing compulsion hexes on our subjects?!” Luna snarled.

“Nah, nah!” the filly backed up nervously. “It ain’t anythin’ like that! At least, I don’t think it is. They just know what to say an’ how to say it… You sure ya ain’t Celestia in a cozplay or somethin’?”

We are not our sister!Luna bellowed.

“Alright! Alright! Sheesh… Well, if ya are the Night Princess that the Press talked about last year, then what are ya doin' all the way over here? Shouldn't ya be livin' the high life up in fancy Canterlot or somethin'?"

“Fie! Canterlot abounds with naught but fainéant coxcombs and strumpets! ‘Tis not a worthwhile place to con the demesne after our thousand year absence. Thus, we have decided to see the land with our own eyes!”

“I’ve got no idea what that first part was, but I prolly agree. So yer takin’ a tour, basically, yeah?”

“Verily,” Luna nodded.

“Well, this don’t seem like the best way to do it. Ya stick out like a sore hoof, ya see, with yer chariot and guards and giant friggin’ wings and all that crud.”

“Truly?” Luna ruffled her wings and blushed. “But should we not stand out among the rabble? We are a Princess and an Alicorn, for Maker’s sake!”

“Maybe,” she shrugged, “but it’s hard to see how us little ponies live when yer standin’ on yer pedestal all high and mighty-like.”

"... Thy words have merit, child," Luna said after a moment of thought. "We will take them into consideration. Prithee, what is thy name?"

“Babs Seed, at yer service, Your Princessness!” she smirked. “But you can call me Babs if ya like!”

“Very well, Babs.” Luna smiled. “We suppose we shall try to speak to other ponies for a little longer. May thine eve be splendid and thy dreams sweet.”

“Uhh, right back at ya, Princess!” Babs nodded before vanishing into the crowd.

Another two hours passed with very little progress, but Luna did not mind it so much now. Her thoughts churned from the conversation with Babs. She needed a way to experience Equestria from the level of her subjects, and not from atop a silly chariot where she would have bits thrown at her like she was some sort of urchin.

The evening grew late and, despite the decreased traffic, there were still many ponies out and about - much to Luna’s satisfaction.

“Come, gallants.” She turned to her guards. “The eve grows late, and we must begin our duties in the Dream Realm. Let us retire.”

“Very well, My Lady. I reserved a hotel room while you were speaking with the civilians. They were a bit flustered about the suddenness of the visit, but we managed to find a room to meet your standards.”

“Excellent work, Corporal.” Luna smiled approvingly. “Remind us to inform Captain Nightingale of your stellar performance tonight.”

“Thank you, My Lady.”

The thestrals broke into a short trot. They flapped their wings vigorously and ascended into the air with the chariot. Luna waved at the ponies and settled into her seat.


Luna sat in front of the window overlooking the Manehattan skyline. The opulent furnishings of the hotel room surrounded her, forgotten, as she stared at the city. Ponies skittered like ants through the streets, despite the late hour, and Luna smiled. A pegasus flittered past her building occasionally, but otherwise, Luna remained undisturbed.

She sighed and closed her eyes. Luna heard the distant rumble of the city from her perch. It was unheard of a millennium ago for so many ponies to be active at this hour, but this (from the brochure that she had acquired) was the City That Never Slept. So many gears needed to be maintained and polished in order for the great machine to run. It was an interesting cycle, Luna thought, that ponies had to stay awake at night in order to maintain the lights that allowed them to work at night in the first place.

Luna focused on the steady heartbeat of the city. She swayed to its rhythm, and the tension in her shoulders rolled off of her, one tweaked muscle at a time. The breathing of her guards, who stood on either side of her, was slow and calm. Her own breaths matched theirs, and she stood on the precipice between consciousness and sleep.

A world of glittering stars drifted past her and she fell into the Dream Realm like a comet through the cosmos. Globes of light danced in all directions that carried fuzzy images and distorted sounds while Luna drifted through the eternal expanse.

Luna dove into her work with a patient diligence. Hundreds of dreams - hundreds of minds, souls, and hearts - lay before her on the tapestry, and she held each one with care. Time had little meaning in this plane, so she could afford to work as she pleased.

A filly dreamed of a flowered meadow, frolicking in its boundless greens, while an old stallion mourned a long-departed love. She conjured a small rabbit to play with the filly and fond memories for the stallion to reminisce. Luna’s lip curled as a foul stench assaulted her nose. The dream of a young mare fleeing a pack of shadows in a darkened alley shot past Luna’s gaze, and she quickly fired a beam of magic at the sphere.

A masked figure in a cape leaped from the rooftops and landed between the mare and the shadows. The figure gave her a reassuring smile and assumed a heroic stance before the specters. Luna nodded approvingly and sent the dream on its way.

The Night Princess flew further into the dreamscape. A surge of magic spread out from her like a wave across the expanse and touched every dream. Nightmares were subdued, fears were placated, and good dreams were made all the sweeter. Luna stopped, however, when her magic rebounded from one corner of the realm. She blinked and found herself hovering outside the dream.

Luna frowned as she examined the sphere. Silvery bars surrounded it like a mesh and repelled a casual probe into its surface. She pushed and prodded further to find that while it did have some give, the dreamer’s mind was heavily fortified. A turbulent storm growled inside the cage, and Luna creased her brow. One of her subjects was in distress in her realm.

She would not allow it.

Luna’s eyes flashed brightly with magic, and the Dream Realm vanished.

She was running.

Luna’s legs pumped against the pavement. Each breath was steady - controlled - as she fought to keep her heart rate in check. Rain battered her and caused her hair to become matted against her face and her clothing soaked. She brushed her hair aside with a hand and turned to face her pursuers without breaking stride.

A bolt of magic - no, plasma - screamed through the night. She ducked and narrowly escaped the bolt’s trajectory. Her jacket smoked, and Luna smelled the acrid stench of burnt ozone.

The police - no, invaders - screamed for her to stop. Yield. Obey. Surrender. She did none of these things. Three bolts of plasma blasted the pavement beside her and melted it into slag. A horrible whine raked the inside of her skull, and she dove to the side.

Ten feet away, where she once stood, a gaping hole in a car yawned back at her. The torn steel and plastic was jagged and glowing white while its atomized remains scattered into the wind. She looked back to her pursuers and, even though she could not see their faces, she knew they were growing tired. They were weak, slow, and clumsy.

She was not.

A blur of motion and she was sprinting down an alleyway. The thuds from her boots thundered across the walls and the stench of the city lit her way through the dark. Several soldiers followed - eager to corner their prey…

But they were in her territory now.

Left at the dumpster and over the fence. Boarded windows and the desiccated remains of the city blurred past. She dove underneath a crate, where the warped scar of an orbital bombardment never fully healed, and slid out the other end.

KABOOM!

Luna’s ears rang as the shredded remains of the dumpster splattered the alley behind her. A roar filled the sky and a blinding light flooded the area. She looked ahead, and the wall of a three-storied building loomed before her.

Luna sprinted faster.

A wall of fire chased her like a charging dragon, and she sprinted faster.

Bullets bit into the pavement like teeth, and she sprinted faster.

She heard thick boots gaining ground, and she jumped.

The ground fell, and Luna grabbed onto the second story window. Her fingers dug into the stone, cracking the mortar, and she pulled up with all her might. She vaulted past the window, the third floor, and landed in a roll onto the roof.

Luna rose to her feet. Lightning flashed. Another figure stood in front of her.

His body was encased in a black mesh that was chiseled with defined and compacted muscles. A metallic helmet with a breathing mask clung to his head. The figure carried a belt around their waist filled with compartments, a sheathed combat knife, and holstered pistol. He carried a large rifle strapped to his back. Luna felt a pair of soulless eyes staring at her from behind the pitch-black visor.

“You are the one known as Ice Wolf, correct?” the figure said with a voice that sounded like the rain’s hiss.

“Aye, and you must be Captain Agares, methinks?” Luna replied, sneering, with a voice that was not her own.

Agares nodded. “You are carrying something my employer requires. If you surrender it, I am authorized to take you in alive.”

“Yeah? Well good luck with that, traitor," she growled while adopting a wider stance. Luna raised her hands, open-palmed, towards her opponent.

“Very well.”

Agares twitched, and Luna saw the edge of a monomolecular blade slicing through the rain - aimed at her neck. She slid back, narrowly sidestepped a blindingly fast thrust, dove for Agares, and unleashed a roar that silenced the sky.

Luna gasped and bolted from her seat in the hotel room.

“Princess?” Her guard looked at her inquisitively. “Are you alright?”

“I…” Luna panted. The blade. The fire. The soldier and her… tumbling off of the rooftop. She could see it, plain as day in her mind’s eye, like a memory… but not her own. “I… We… We are not sure.”

Author's Note:

Special thanks to my editing team: PeerImagination, ARTL, and WhoHacks, and everyone in the Fimfiction Discord!
Remember to leave a like and a comment if you've enjoyed it. Constructive criticism is always welcome!
Also, check out my Discord group for new updates and my Patreon for some cool stuff!