• Published 25th May 2017
  • 8,162 Views, 75 Comments

Visitation Rites - FanOfMostEverything



Something strange is happening at Rainbow Dash's apartment. No, not her parents. They're always like that.

  • ...
8
 75
 8,162

What Lurks Within

Lunch at Canterlot High had gotten rather awkward after summer vacation. Everyone kept looking at the Rainbooms' table... expectantly. More than one phone laid in its owner's hand, poised to record whatever magical shenanigans would next ensue. Fluttershy had taken to hiding behind Rarity. This would seem to be impossible given how camera lenses surrounded their table, but she managed.

Rainbow Dash had lapped up the attention on day one, been mildly annoyed on day two, and stopped paying attention after that. A week into the school year, she seemed more concerned with poking at her lunch and determining just what lay under the gravy on her lunch tray. She paused in her foray into forbidden knowledge to look at two of her friends in particular. "Hey, Sunset, Twilight?"

"Yes, Rainbow Dash?" said Twilight.

"Everything okay?"

"I'm not totally sure. I think I have a problem. Like, a pony problem."

All other conversation in the cafeteria died. Everyone leaned in closer. Fluttershy slowly edged toward's Pinkie Pie's larger, hair-augmented silhouette. Pinkie herself said, "Pony problem how? Mysterious magical butt tattoo? Your wings lasting for more than four hours? Did you run so fast you changed history and now our comics are getting a poorly thought-out reboot?"

Applejack raised an eyebrow. "Pinkie, y'do know we're not actually superheroes, right?"

Pinkie raised her dessert. "You're super-strong and I can explode this pudding cup with my mind. You sure we're not superheroes?"

As Applejack considered this, Sunset cleared her throat. "What makes you think this is related to Equestria, Rainbow?"

"Just come to my place. I'll explain everything there." After a moment, Dash added, "But, uh, maybe just you two? It's kind of embarrassing."

Rarity either scoffed or briefly beatboxed; it was always hard to tell with her. "Oh, really, Rainbow Dash, I hardly think there's anything you have to be ashamed of with us."

"Anything, no. Anyone..." Dash trailed off, her cheeks rosy.

"Oh." The entire room jumped when Fluttershy spoke. She edged her head out of her hiding place in Pinkie's forelock. "Rainbow does have a point."

Twilight stared at the two-person mass of pink hair. "I will agree to anything she proposes if you leave violating common sense to Pinkie Pie," she said, a haunted look on her face.


Nimbus Heights was a rather run-of-the-mill apartment complex. It was little more than a few big, cloud-white boxes surrounded by parking lots, but numerous families called it home, including Rainbow Dash's.

As the three girls stepped out of the elevator onto the top floor, Sunset said, "You know, I don't think I've ever been here before."

Twilight hummed to herself. "Now that you mention it, even I've been to each of your houses aside from this one. Including Fluttershy's, and she lives in this complex."

Dash sighed as she approached one of the doors. "Yeah, you're about to find out why."

The door flew open just moments after she knocked, revealing a woman who greatly resembled her, aside from less colorful hair and a smile that was a stark contrast to Dash's resigned frown. "Dashie! There you are!" She swept up the girl in an intense hug that belied her size, lifting Dash off her feet.

"Hi, Mom," Dash croaked out. "These are my frieeckhhh."

"Oh?" The woman noticed the other two girls, both offering awkward smiles and waves. She beamed once more, released Dash to gasp on the floor, and swooped towards them at a rate that made it seem like she'd borrowed her daughter's pendant. "It's so nice to finally meet you! I'm Windy Whistles, and you must be Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle! Dashie's told me so much about both of you." Fortunately, she didn't try to hug them.

"It's nice to meet you, ma'am," said Sunset. Twilight just nodded and held onto her messenger bag a bit more tightly.

"It's even more nice to meet a girl who did the impossible."

Sunset's face was starting to hurt. "I'm sorry?"

"The two of you made my little Dashie even more amazing than she already was!" Windy grabbed Dash again, though at least the girl wasn't going any bluer in the face this time. "Who else can say she's the mother of an actual angel?"

Dash didn't bother struggling, though she did roll her eyes. "I'm not an angel, Mom, I'm just part birdhorse or something. So's Fluttershy. Heck, even Twilight gets wings."

Windy reluctantly let her go. "I suppose you're right, Dashie."

"Fina—"

"You were always a little angel!" With that, Windy ruffled Rainbow's hair.

"Ugh."

"I'd love to chat, ma'am," said Sunset, "but Rainbow asked us to investigate some manner of magical phenomenon here. I can't guarantee that it won't be dangerous, so if you could step out for a few minutes?"

"I understand." Windy managed to hold her composure for all of five seconds before squealing like Scootaloo. "Just let me get my keys and my phone! Bow has to hear about this! Call your parents, girls, because we are taking you out for pizza tonight!" She was gone in a matter of minutes.

Dash rolled her eyes and went into the apartment itself. "Come on in."

They did so. "So, your mom's certainly..." Sunset trailed off.

"Crazy?"

"I was going to say energetic."

Twilight found her voice. "'Bow'?"

"Bow Hotfoot, my dad." Dash sighed. "Try to ignore all the 'Dashmentos.'" She managed to put a surprising amount of disgust into the air quotes. The other girls hadn't really been paying attention to the decor, but now that Dash had said something, they did notice a certain theme. There was a lot of bronze for a girl who always aimed for gold, and very little of it was medal-shaped.

Twilight pointed at one. "Is that..."

"Yup."

"They really—"

"It's not even the most ridiculous one. They actually rent a storage unit to hold some of them. Can you believe it?"

"Uh..." Twilight bit her lip.

"The last time I saw my parents, I literally told them that I wished my mentor had given birth to me. Then they said the feeling was mutual. That was more than four years ago."

Dash and Twilight both stopped to stare at Sunset. She shrugged. "For what it's worth, Princess Twilight's tracked them down and sent my apologies since. They said they were proud of me, and that they weren't pressing charges. So, what's the magical issue?"

The silence stretched on more than the rubber bands in the Best Orthodontic Patient trophy on a nearby shelf. Dash spoke first. "Uh, are you sure you don't want to, like, talk about your feelings or something?"

Sunset squinted at her. "Who are you, and what have you done with Rainbow Dash?"

"Okay, that's fair. Come on, it's in my closet."

Rainbow Dash's room was wallpapered in posters of fighter jets, rock stars, album covers, and more besides. If there was anything more conventional covering her walls, neither Twilight nor Sunset could tell. The floor was almost as thickly covered, though mostly with laundry at various stages of cleanliness and, in the lower strata, sentience. The closet door was jammed open, a guitar case resting in the gap among a thicket of tangled wire hangers. Within the closet itself was a surprisingly neat arrangement of tops, skirts, and pants, most featuring a cloud and a rainbow lightning bolt somewhere on them.

"Okay, let's see what we get." Twilight opened her bag and pulled a device that looked suspiciously like something out of a certain movie.

"That looks suspiciously like that one thing in Geisttrappers," said Sunset.

Twilight focused intently on the site of the anomaly. "Purely coincidence, I assure you."

"Uh huh. Just like how you're not making eye contact right now."

"So! Rainbow!" Twilight said with more artificial brightness than the Las Pegasus Strip. "What am I looking for?"

"Well, a few days ago, one of my most awesome shirts just vanished." Dash poked the hangers that held identical copies of the shirt she wore. "That morning, there were four left in here. That night, there were three. And before either of you say anything, yes, I wore a different shirt that day."

"I wasn't going to say anything," said Sunset, who totally was.

"Nor I," lied Twilight.

"Plus, don't know if you noticed, but it smells... weird in there."

"Dash, if I bite my lip any harder, I'm going to draw blood."

Twilight closed her eyes and sniffed. "There's definitely some sort of lingering aroma. Sweetness and something I can't place."

"I can," said Dash. "That's my dad's aftershave."

Sunset took a deep breath. Her eyes widened. "And hay. Equestrian hay."

Dash took another whiff. "How can you tell?"

"Because now I miss my old digestive system."

Twilight focused on her thaumokinetic energy detector. "I'm definitely detecting something. It's surprisingly similar to the portal at CHS. I may be able to—" She was interrupted by a sound somewhere between an old modem and a thunderclap, a sort of stuttering cosmic gargle. The detector's screen filled with flashing lights. "TKE spike! Behind the shirts!"

Dash shoved the hangers to either side, revealing a tear in the fabric of space and time. Unlike the ones Twilight had opened while maddened by stolen magic, this one was ruby-red along its jagged edges. Also unlike Twilight's, there was a small, blue horse leaning out of it, one of Dash's shirts gripped in his stubbly muzzle.

Twilight, Sunset, and the horse stared at each other. As was her wont, Dash reacted. "Hey! Give that back!" She lunged for the shirt.

The horse leaned back, slipping through the portal before she could grab shirt or thief. The portal snapped shut once the clothing cleared it, though some structured-sounding equine noises came through during the retreat.

The girls just stared at the closet wall for a while. Finally, Dash said, "What. The actual crap. Just happened?"

Twilight turned to Sunset. "That sounded like language. Can you translate?"

Sunset slowly shook her head, confusion clear on her face. "I... I think so. Honestly, I'd forgotten that we aren't speaking Equish right now. But I must have misheard him. I could've sworn he said, 'Best abomination ever.'"

Dash groaned and facepalmed. "That was pony-me's dad, wasn't it?"

After a moment, Twilight nodded. "That would fit with the available data."

"Okay. Fine. Weird, but at least I have an answer. How do we keep it from happening again?"

Twilight and Sunset looked at each other and saw the uncertainty they felt. "We'll have to get back to you on that," said Twilight.

"Yeah. I think I'm going to need to write Princess Twilight on this one."


"So, in conclusion, both Rainbow Dashes' parents are so devoted to their daughters that they managed to create a sort of harmonious vortex that led to the Elemental Plane of Loyalty." Princess Twilight's nose wrinkled. "Which exists, apparently."

"Furthermore," added the local Twilight, "anywhere a Bearer of Loyalty considers her domain is treated as coterminous with both the Material and Loyalty planes, which means that rifts can spontaneously open between the parents of one Rainbow and the bedroom of the other."

The princess nodded. "Well said, H-Twilight." She turned to the audience. "So, any questions?"

The only response was Rainbow Dash's snores as she lay sprawled on the floor of the Rainbooms' practice room.

Sunset rolled her eyes as she tried to nudge Dash awake. "Maybe you should summarize."

"I thought we had," said a frowning Princess Twilight.

The other adjusted her glasses. "Well, put simply and charitably, Rainbow Dash's parents love her so much that they can do the impossible to be with her."

Dash snorted. Everyone made sure she was awake. "Yeah, no. When pony-me's dad is raiding my closet, that's not love anymore. That's just creepy."

"Well... yes," conceded human Twilight.

"Put less charitably," said the other, "it's clear where you and your equine analogue got the insanity necessary for you to do the impossible on a regular basis."

After a moment, Dash said, "Uh... Thanks?"

"Sure, let's go with that."

Author's Note:

He had to get it somewhere.

Comments ( 75 )

I didn't know what to expect, and I wasn't disappointed :pinkiehappy:

Everyone kept looking at the Rainbooms' table... expectantly.

You got me here, comedy gold.

Great story!

"Because now I miss my old digestive system."

Aww... :applecry:

Dash snorted. Everyone made sure she was awake.

:pinkiehappy:

...

Harmony Element Planes... That seems bad... What with Elementals of Harmony... If Harmony Elementals start leaking through...

Something strange is happening at Rainbow Dash's apartment. No, not her parents. They're always like that.

Ooh, aren't you trendy.

In this case, the problem is [...] crapless

That is my new favourite turn of phrase!

Rarity either scoffed or briefly beatboxed

:rainbowderp:
Haven't heard enough pony audio to confirm. Must fix that.

The floor was almost as thickly covered, though mostly with laundry at various stages of cleanliness and, in the lower strata, sentience.

I don't think you're quite best turner-of-phrase, but you're certainly very close. Top three.

"Put less charitably," said the other, "it's clear where you and your equine analogue got the insanity necessary for you to do the impossible on a regular basis."

Someone call Nurse Redheart about that burn...

8/10, would read repeatedly.

8188151 So long as no one tries becoming God, we're good.

Well, it's not Oversaturated, but it is FoME! Time to dig in!

This fic has convinced me that there is nothing neurologically broken in Dash's parents. They happen to be best friends conspiring together to strengthen their relationship by agreeing to mutual obsession with their daughter, like a normal couple planning ahead and agreeing to get a pet dog or cat to act as a focal point when tempers run high.

To be honest, lavishing a child with the kind of affections and attentions reserved for a pet is actually an IMPROVEMENT for Rainbow Dash, because of how naturally physical RD is and because how emotionally shallow her otherwise ordinary and fully functional parents are.

I know plenty of people who wished their parents had been able to show them the same kind of unconditional affection their parents had for the family pet.

... seems legit.

At first listen through on my kindle, the ending felt incomplete. Went back and read it again be sure and saw the image at the end. Suddenly, it all makes sense. Good stuff.

So can Scootaloo reach the that plane, or is her fan filly points not that high? And due to the emotional nature of it, it seems to be red mana all the way down.

I see you expanded on your musing from the last Friendship is Card Games.

That looks suspiciously like that one thing in Geisttrappers

Who you gonna call?

In this case, the problem is stationary, crapless, and unresponsive to even the most obscure athletic gear.

Constipation?

Chapter title: What Lurks Within

Sounds like constipation.

Incoming hundreds of likes

"Pony problem how? Mysterious magical butt tattoo?

Actually plausible!

Your wings lasting for more than four hours?

Pinkie's been watching too many TV commercials!!

Did you run so fast you changed history and now our comics are getting a poorly thought-out reboot?"

:facehoof: Oh, Pinkie... :rainbowlaugh:

Sunset cleared her throat. "What makes you think this is related to Equestria, Rainbow?"

"Just come to my place. I'll explain everything there." After a moment, Dash added, "But, uh, maybe just you two? It's kind of embarrassing."

"Lately, I feel compelled to dress in style..."

Rarity either scoffed or briefly beatboxed; it was always hard to tell with her. "Oh, really, Rainbow Dash, I hardly think there's anything you have to be ashamed of with us."

"Anything, no. Anyone..." Dash trailed off, her cheeks rosy.

...oh dear. :rainbowderp:

Twilight stared at the two-person mass of pink hair.

...goddamn you. Now I'm picturing what happened to Phineas and Ferb at the end of "Canderemy" happening to Pinkie and Fluttershy:

vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/phineasandferb/images/a/a9/Ferbneas_and_Isabella.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110402205709

The floor was almost as thickly covered, though mostly with laundry at various stages of cleanliness and, in the lower strata, sentience.

Ruled over by SPORTS-BRA THE EVER-WICKING!!

"Well, a few days ago, one of my most awesome shirts just vanished." Dash poked the hangers that held identical copies of the shirt she wore.

(...)

Twilight closed her eyes and sniffed. "There's definitely some sort of lingering aroma. Sweetness and something I can't place."

"I can," said Dash. "That's my dad's aftershave."

Sunset took a deep breath. Her eyes widened. "And hay. Equestrian hay."

:facehoof: I know where this is going now and this is a long way to go for THAT joke. :rainbowwild:

Dash snorted. Everyone made sure she was awake. "Yeah, no. When pony-me's dad is raiding my closet, that's not love anymore. That's just creepy."

Super creepy. Coulda been worse, though. Coulda been her underwear...

I...I...I got nothing. I have no idea what to even...

8188372 I'm thinking Boros or Mardu. Either way, it's a more pure obsession, though there is the ambition to be like her so....

Ehh, I think this should have T rating. I mean, there's the C word in the description.

Like counter currently at 77 and 0 :raritystarry:

You are the silliest person.

The silliest person.

That was astounding, FoME.

8188141
After the first four magical catastrophes, you start keeping popcorn handy.

8188151 8188181
Fortunately, these are elementals that are supposed to exist. No risk of cosmic decay with them around, nor of certain purple prodigies ascending to a sick parody of godhood.

8188179
See here for a fine example of beatscoffing.

Also, glad to hear I medal in phrase turning. :pinkiehappy:

8188297
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. Here's hoping for a swift recovery.

8188372 8188804
"Adoring fan" doesn't have quite the same sympathetic link as "loving parent." There's also the matter of time and numbers involved; Bow and Windy have been doing this for a lot longer. That said, given time, we may yet make a loyalty elementalist of that girl. Either of them. Possibly both working together. (Hmm. Possible sequel idea...)

And yeah, the Plane of Loyalty definitely leans towards red and a bit of white, as influenced by its greatest elemental lords (or, more accurately, ladies.)

8188381
I've been sitting on this idea since Treehouse aired the episode. My muse demanded it come out the week after it officially aired.

8188773

:facehoof: Oh, Pinkie... :rainbowlaugh:

To be fair, super-speedsters do have a bad habit of doing that.

"Lately, I feel compelled to dress in style..."

:raritystarry:
"Also, Rarity keeps making that face."

Now I'm picturing what happened to Phineas and Ferb at the end of "Canderemy" happening to Pinkie and Fluttershy:

Not at all what I was going for. I didn't even know Phineas and Ferb had a crossover with Steven Universe! :raritywink:

Ruled over by SPORTS-BRA THE EVER-WICKING!!

Bah. Everyone knows Sports-Bra is just a figurehead for the Compression Shorts Consortium.

8188779
Then I've done my job. :twilightsmile:

8188891
Considering your own work, that's saying a lot. Thank you!

That . . . was just plain weird. :pinkiegasp:

Speaking of ideas this,

"The last time I saw my parents, I literally told them that I wished my mentor had given birth to me.

got me thinking. And that my friend is the mark of a good story. It makes you think.

Rarity either scoffed or briefly beatboxed; it was always hard to tell with her.

Hold on.

*Typing Intensifies*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5pYBK0TYss

Your wings lasting for more than four hours?

You dirty son of a gun! :rainbowlaugh:

Anyway, this was a really funny story. Well done, brother (or... sister). :twilightsmile:

By the way, 8188835, crap isn't a swear word... unless you're really sensitive.

Oh, and 8188773:

Super creepy. Coulda been worse, though. Coulda been her underwear...

OMG! :rainbowlaugh:

Pinkie herself said, "Pony problem how? Mysterious magical butt tattoo? Your wings lasting for more than four hours? Did you run so fast you changed history and now our comics are getting a poorly thought-out reboot?"

The comics are getting a reboot? Also, forgot that there were comics. Weird.

Well, at least there wasn't an Eye That Floats, Silent and Unblinking In Rainbow Dash's Kitchen.

Sunset's had enough of those for several lifetimes. And so has Flash.

8190068 Wait. Didn't the New 52 just come out?

*does quick research*

Wow, that was 2011. It's 2017. Rebirth was 2016. Also, Marvel kinda has a reboot in 2015. Where did the time go?

8189746
Creepy floating eyes you can poke with a broom handle. Family is forever. I know which one I would pick.

Mysterious magical butt tattoo? Your wings lasting for more than four hours?

Pinkie! Get your mind out of the gutter!

Did you run so fast you changed history and now our comics are getting a poorly thought-out reboot?"

*Sigh* I'll go fix that hole in the fourth wall. Anybody got any duct tape?

8191035
Got some quick drying concrete, will that help?

Yep, that was random and weird.

I always found Dash's parents to be a bit---erm, okay, very much on the disturbing side. You just proved that point further. And Loyalty Plane? Implying that there's one per Element? Now I must have a sequel :raritystarry:

"gives Sunset Shimmer a BIG hug" :applecry:

PRINCESS TWI: "Bow, theft is theft. I have to insist that you let me take this back to the human world or I'll have to press charges on behalf of the other Rainbow Dash. Co-operate and promise that you'll never do this again and I will forget to mention to the Royal Sisters that you've broken the interdict on interdimensional travel that was enacted soon after the disappearance of the Crystal Empire. NO, THE PUPPY-DOG EYES WON'T HELP YOU! Don't you think that I've learned immunity to that after teaching the Crusaders?"

8189318
It made perfect sense to me. This should tell you a lot. :pinkiecrazy:

8189369
Quite so. Glad this one got your brain buzzing.

8189510
:raritystarry: Marvelous. Count on Littleshy to deliver quality pone.

8189746 8190056 8190210
Probably a good thing it didn't find its way into Dash's closet. As the description notes, she'd likely try to punch it. I don't see that ending well for her.

8191867
I'll take that as a compliment.

8192175
No promises on a sequel, but I could definitely see expanding the concept elsewhere.

8192728 Yes, my brain is buzzing. Should I see a doctor about that? :rainbowwild: I regret nothing that set up was just begging for a wise ass remark It's almost like it was intentional or something. But yes, it made me think. :eeyup:

LOL! This was hilarius!

"best abomination ever!"

I love that line!

It seems that the language barrier may have been preventing any discourse between pony Dash's parents and EQG Dah's parents... otherwise they probably could have made some simple "tradesies for dealsies."

Rarity either scoffed or briefly beatboxed; it was always hard to tell with her.

I'm pretty sure this story is about to get another upvote...

(reads story; sees Author's Note at the end)

Oh, this is definitely worthy of an upvote. I didn't make the connection until you pointed it out. Brilliant.

Comment posted by Pimapifi deleted May 28th, 2017

Great story. I wanted to comment just to tell you how well your description/title/other metadata worked—I was so ready to just glance at this fic and pass it by, as I do most fics nowadays, but your description got me so interested in what the "problem" was that I just had to read it. And I'm glad I did.

(I wanted to comment so badly, in fact, that I forgot to log out of my alt. Ignore the deleted comment above me!)

I just noticed your avatar has been fooling me for years. Years.

Also, good fic.

It's so stupid that it's almost a crime how much it all makes sense...

The other girls hadn't really been paying attention to the decor, but now that Dash had said something,

You are missing the bolded word, or a word like it.

Grade A stuff, here! Well done!

8191673
Considering the abuse it's taken over the years, and how easily pinkie breaks it, they likely need wood slats and rice paper to patch it up. Unless you have enough concrete to outright replace the wall....

8204897
"Drives up in a concrete pourer"

Can't hear you over the noise of the engine!

"Turns off engine"

What were you saying?

Login or register to comment