• Published 21st May 2017
  • 1,322 Views, 23 Comments

Maybe Not the Rock Farm - FrontSevens



Pinkie Pie goes missing. Nopony wants to guess why.

  • ...
1
 23
 1,322

One Flew Over the Rock Farm

“Pinkie Pie? I dunno,” said Chaff.

Cornstalk frowned. “How do ya not know who Pinkie Pie is? Down the road, west a ways, with the big windmill. The pink one.”

“Oh yeeeeah,” said Chaff. “Makes sense.”

“Oh yeah duh, peabrain.”

“Blockhead.”

“Anyway, yeah, we don’t really know her. She come over to our house once or twice, and that was it. Played with us in the field and stuff.”

“She don’t go to our school. I hear she got kicked out.”

“She’s home-schooled, numbskull. Her parents keep her locked up in their silo out back. I seen it. They only let her out to farm rocks.”

“Really?” asked Chaff.

“Yeah.” Cornstalk pointed to his neck. “Chained up to a stake in the silo like a dog.”

“Huh. No wonder she’s all crazy in the head—hey, ow!”

“Be nice, knucklehead. Hey, don’t you stick yer tongue out at me. Ma says yer face’ll stay that way. You’ll be an ugly little shrimp.”

“Yer uglier.”

“Shuddup, peabrain. Anyway, why d’ya ask? Did something happen?”


“Oh, you’re a baker, too?” asked Pita. “Oh, I see. Sweets and things.”

Flat Loaf spat. “Can’t live on sweets. Nothing hearty about sweets. Ponies need bread of the Earth.”

“Flat, please,” Pita said. “You’ll have to forgive my husband. He meant no offense.”

Flat grunted.

“I’m sorry to hear what happened. We always had a feeling something… wasn’t right with that girl.”

“She’s like a puppy, that one. Constantly barking up our door. Scared the Tartarus outta our kids.”

“She didn’t scare them, honey. But our girls—Manna and Quail out there—they used to come inside when they saw Pinkie coming up the road.”

“Hidin’.”

“…I suppose so, yes,” Pita said. “There was one time, too—last Hearth’s Warming eve—she came up to the counter and she asked for Hearth’s Warming cupcakes. I said, ‘I’m sorry, honey, we don’t make cupcakes,’ and I offered her some Hearth’s Warming scones that we make every year, but she just… she went behind the counter—”

“—without permission. Trespassing little—”

“—and she made cupcake batter and put it in the oven! We were shocked—”

“—furious. She used up all our sugar—”

“—confetti everywhere, for some reason—”

“—never allowed here ever again.”

Pita sighed. “She’s just too mischievous. I don’t think she understands boundaries yet.”

“I know Igneous and Cloudy,” Flat said. “Upstanding folk. Long respected in the community. They’ll do something about the little brat.”

“Enough, Flat.” Pita rubbed her temple. “She’s a sweet girl. She means well. It’s just… I hope she’s all right.”


“Yeah, she lives here. Used to,” Limestone Pie said.

Her sister Marble nodded.

“She abandoned us. Had responsibilities here on the farm. Family to take care of. A twin sister to take care of. And she just up and left!”

“Mm-hmm.”

“She’s selfish. I don’t think she ever cared about us after all.”

“…”

“Whatever. She ran away. Never liked her, anyway. She told dumb jokes. She laughed at us. Always laughing, all the time! Never… sniff… liked her…”

“…”

“I’m sorry, ma’am, I’m sorry for yelling at you, but I don’t want to talk about her. Neither does Marble. C’mon, Marble.”

“Mm-hmm…”


“We apologize for thy trouble,” said Cloudy Quartz.

Igneous Rock Pie nodded. “Yes, we do uphold the opinion that it was not worth thy time and energy to come to our homestead, but we thank thee for it nonetheless. Thou are most welcome here, as is thy husband if he should so choose to pass by this way.”

“Thou are likely familiar with Pinkie Pie’s tendencies.” Cloudy Quartz tapped her hooves together nervously. “She is overflowing with spirit and joy—but, of course, we believe it to be a blessing, and for that we cannot thank the stars enough. However, she is…”

“She hath a strong dependence on other ponies. She hath dramatic changes in disposition from time to time. She is brash, brazen, overbearing.”

“Igneous, please…”

“I am speaking plainly, Cloudy.”

“I… I know. Yes, um, well… Children can be this way, from time to time. We hath friends from out of town. Their children have similar issues.”

“Issues like this can be amended. We must teach her good temperament and family values. To this end, she must return home.”

“Yes, we miss our daughter. Do thou and thy husband hath children? Ah. Then if thou ever do, then thou shall understand.”

“We do thank thee for electing to care and house our daughter for the time being. We have no doubt she would enjoy residing in a confectionery store. However, this cannot continue indefinitely. She must return home and learn what all children must learn. Discipline. Composure.”

“Yes, right. Please, Mrs. Cake, please understand… We must help our daughter.”


“Yes, I know why she ran away,” said Maud. “At least, I think so.

“There’s nopony like Pinkie Pie. Everypony seems to say that about anypony, but it’s true for Pinkie. It’s especially true around here. There’s not a lot of fillies here. They think she’s weird. They think I’m weird, too, but I don’t care. Pinkie cared. I think that’s why she ran away.

“She just wants friends. That’s really it. Ponies to have fun with. Ponies to cheer up. Ponies to cheer her up when she’s down. I never needed that. I had Boulder.

“I understand why she left. It was still hard. I cried. I don’t cry.”

“But as long as Pinkie is happy, that’s all that matters. Is she happy? Good. Yes, that means she’s very happy. It’s easy to tell when she’s not.

“I think she should stay where she is, as long as you don’t mind. If not in Ponyville, then somewhere else. My parents will be difficult to convince. I’ll talk to them. It might take some time.

“You seem happy to take her in. It’s hard for me to tell. But if she’s still with you for this long, she must like you, and she must be happy there.

“One more thing. If Pinkie stays with you, may I please have your address? I’d like to write to her. Thank you.”

Comments ( 23 )

Even though I didn't review it during the Writeoff, I enjoyed it and ranked it above the middle (16th if you really wish to know).

The expanded version though is better. Having multiple POVs works really well to portray how she is perceived by other ponies. The fact that it starts with bad portraits and ends with good portraits of Pinkie makes the whole story sweet and somehow heartwarming. And indeed, who could be the better pony to say good things about Pinkie than her sister Maud? All her lines are spot-on and I really love this two

They think she’s weird. They think I’m weird, too, but I don’t care. Pinkie cared. I think that’s why she ran away.

“I understand why she left. It was still hard. I cried. I don’t cry.”

So all in all, a great story and a nice perspective on the pink pony.

8179513
Thank you for the review!

Though I didn't review Solar Flare, I enjoyed it and I look forward to seeing it posted on Fimfic if you choose to do so :o

But our girls—Manna and Quail out there

Heh. I see what you did there.

I kind of miss the "try to figure out who's talking" game the original version had, but it's still great.

8179589
:v

Yeah, but even I kinda prefer knowing something basic like who's speaking over a puzzle like that :p

Interesting story but I feel like I am missing a lot of background info. which could be actually the point? Still had to read the story twice to have a better understanding.

Anyway I like the way you give an insight into Pinkie's life by using only dialog from the ponies being asked by the silent protagonist. It's really an interesting story.

8179690
The story was supposed to fill in the blank that the show left between Pinkie growing up on the rock farm and moving to Ponyville. That she ran away was the point.

This format was kind of an experiment, so I'm sorry if it made the point less clear :x I'm glad you thought it was interesting, at least. Thanks for giving it a try! :>

8179855 The main point is clear. Pinkie's backstory and I liked it.

I just wasn't sure if I was supposed to know the characters who were talking.

8179885
Ohhhh I see. The characters in first two scenes (Cornstalk, Chaff, Flat Loaf, and Pita) are OCs made up by me. The other characters are Pinkie's canon family.

A nice short story. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but I couldn't help but think: "good for Pinkie, getting the hell out of that place" while reading *shrug*.

Not bad. Not bad at all. There's some issues with the Elizabethan English, but I can overlook that for a good little story that does everything it needs to.

You've earned an upvote from me.

8180696
Yeah, I didn't quite paint the area in and around the rock farm as favourable, per se, lol, but certainly not a place she fits in to.

8180766
Yeah, I, uh... didn't look too far into the Ye Olde English for the dialogue... I feel like I have a decent handle on "thee" vs "thou", at least, but I'm not surprised there are issues lol

Still, thanks for reading and thanks for the upvote :>

The big problem is that the Pie parents don't speak Elizabethan. They speak Quaker Plain Speech, which does not use "thou" at all, but uses "thee" as if in third person for all singular subjects and "you" for plural subjects (addressing a group). Plain Speech uses "thy" as the singular possessive pronoun, but doesn't use archaic conjugations of "to be". So, weirdly enough, "thee is a good friend" would be correct.

A very interesting format and conceit. I especially liked the other Pies' takes on Pinkie. You captured all of them well, especially Maud. Thank you for this.

Everyone's paired up except Maud.

Wait, so those two at the start weren't Sonata and Aria? Damn.

Not gonna lie, I think I preferred the unattributed dialogue of the previous version to the tagged-up version here, although I think the published version is still an overall improvement. Conglaturation on all your success.

This is so sad, and it hits home right now. I'm in a very rough spot and am seriously considering trying to get a diagnosis to see if I have Asperger's or something else on "the spectrum." I'm glad though that Pinkie is happy in her world. I wish I were happy in mine.

Manna and Quail . . . I didn't catch that, and I read Biblical Hebrew. I am ashamed!

8186133
Huh, interesting. You're one of the few who didn't mind the lack of attribution, then.

Still, I'm glad to hear you think it's better overall. :twilightsmile:

8187384
I'm sorry to hear that and I hope you find happiness eventually :o

8188286 What can I say, fam? I'm a rebel.

Headcanon has been loaded with the new FrontSevens shells, sir.

Very good, corporal. Bombard all our future writings related to the Pies.

Of course, sir.

8335369

"Sir! We're under fire from the bay!"

"What's the situation ensign!"

"Confetti everywhere sir! And the tower just got blasted by some new pink shells, extra sugar and icing, no spice!"

"What In the world is shooting at us!?"

"There sir! On the horizon just over the reef! Do you see it?"

"Bloody hell! They've got a Friendship!"

Login or register to comment